• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Since this is definitely not news worthy... New Versus XIII Info (lol): http://gematsu.com/2012/01/square-e...-people-will-be-excited-when-they-next-see-it
*CaptainHaddockHahahaohwowPic*

I think there was one time when I cared about Versus and it was for that DK Sigma trailer. A few months after that, I kind of became apathetic towards it. And even after that trailer in January, I'm still apathetic towards it. Outside of the architecture and environmental art design, I don't really find myself caring much about it, unfortunately. Show me 10 minutes of battle gameplay and tinkering with the ability system with a competent UI, and maybe I'll come around. Though part of it may stem from my apathy towards KH too.

Gravijah said:
kaaaaaine :'(
You know, I still haven't gotten the plat (ie: Endings C and D) for that game yet. Maybe while I still have time off from classes, I should attempt the plat? :p

Anyway, Laura Bailey certainly impressed me as Kainé. The voice direction for Nier in general was really great. It's only when she does her Rise/Serah/Catherine/Omochao voice that I just >_<

Gravijah

you will cry, then you will feel emotionally drained, and it will be worth it.

edit: also cheska bring back your old avatar. happy smiles + cat under chin > "too cool for school" ;p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes. I won't spoil anything for you, but I cried. If Nier isn't an emotionally invested game, I don't know what is.
you will cry, then you will feel emotionally drained, and it will be worth it.
Aww. Well I'll see if I can get it done this week, then. Looking forward to it. Thanks. :D

I think Nier started to make me cry around the point when you cleared the first part of the dungeon where the Two Brothers' Weaponry was. After that, it was completely downhill.
KuGsj.gif
But I'm a bit of a sentimental baby sometimes, so there are a fair amount of times in games when I do cry.

I remember bawling like a baby at the end of FFX when I was younger!

edit: also cheska bring back your old avatar. happy smiles + cat under chin > "too cool for school" ;p
I think any avatar is fine! I have to compliment much of Girl-GAF for actually going through with changing their avatars to real pics. I just can't do it; too self-conscious.

Cheska

I remember bawling like a baby at the end of FFX when I was younger!

I think any avatar is fine! I have to compliment much of Girl-GAF for actually going through with changing their avatars to real pics. I just can't do it; too self-conscious.

Honestly, I would probably still cry at the ending of Final Fantasy X. I don't care how cheesy some people call it, they really knew how to tug at our heartstrings.

And look Grav, just for you Drake makes a return.

Cheska

I'm going to bring this over here, but I just saw Aeana mention a FF7 group playthrough from a few years back in another thread.

Would any of you be remotely interested in a simultaneous play through of a Final Fantasy game? I know I mentioned earlier that I'm replaying FFIX now, but I wouldn't mind picking another title. With the ease of being able to play most Final Fantasy titles on portable systems now, perhaps more people would want in on this?

Just a thought anyways.

Boney

Banned
Due to our lovely Aeana's recomendation and to get on Cheska's nerves,

FFX is the second worst FF

Boring combat system, no world map to explore, awful temple dungeons, boring /annoying party members and a weak ass antagonist

it does have one of the best overall soundtrack in the series though

I'm going to bring this over here, but I just saw Aeana mention a FF7 group playthrough from a few years back in another thread.

Would any of you be remotely interested in a simultaneous play through of a Final Fantasy game? I know I mentioned earlier that I'm replaying FFIX now, but I wouldn't mind picking another title. With the ease of being able to play most Final Fantasy titles on portable systems now, perhaps more people would want in on this?

Just a thought anyways.

I plan to replay FF VII and FF IX soon, so as long is one of those two and there's time to plan ahead I would gladly join.

Edit: Also I agree with Boney ^

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
GAF Plays threads haven't really been very successful (which is why I never started one for the Genso Suikoden 15th Anniversary last month, regrettably). I think the FFVII thread and the Legend of Zelda series thread were pretty successful.

I'd be willing to give it a shot depending on the game chosen. Not FFIV. I got my fill of FFIV last year. :lol

Edit: Aha, no FFXIII either. I never want to play that game again for a long time.

rataven

I'd love to join in for a VII or XII play-through. I'd even trudge through XIII again if anyone wants to prep for XIII-2.

Gravijah

rather than a huge group playthrough, you can have a smaller playthrough amongst those who are willing. more intimate!

i just played ffix like 2-3 months ago so i'd rather it not be that. hehe.

Cheska

Due to our lovely Aeana's recomendation and to get on Cheska's nerves,

FFX is the second worst FF

Boring combat system, no world map to explore, awful temple dungeons, boring /annoying party members and a weak ass antagonist

it does have one of the best overall soundtrack in the series though

Ahahaha, that doesn't bother me at all. See, the one thing I love about the Final Fantasy series in general is the fact that there is something for everyone. Sure, there are some that didn't bode well with me, but that's not to say those were bad games. They just weren't for me. For example, I didn't finish FFXII. I played for 20 hours and eventually stopped because I was so bored with it. As it stands now, it's one of my least favorite entries in the series. However, I've been meaning to go back and replay it and give it a fair chance.

I think Dark Schala had a good idea in listing titles we don't want to play. For me personally, its going to be FFXIII, FFX, and FFIII. I don't want to burn myself out on the first two, especially with XIII-2 so close and FFX getting remade. And III I played through last year.

Aeana

I'd love to replay FF7 or something with everyone...
Now that the stresses of our wedding are behind us and we're settling back in, I've got some free time, although I had been spending it replaying the Sora no Kiseki games and finally diving into Zero like I should have a year ago. Still, group FF plays are really fun so I'd be willing to put everything aside for that. The only ones that have ever really been successful here are the original FF7 one and the FF5 Fiestas, though. FF8 one was almost successful but it fell flat before it was finished.

jaxword

I'd love to replay FF7 or something with everyone...
Now that the stresses of our wedding are behind us and we're settling back in, I've got some free time, although I had been spending it replaying the Sora no Kiseki games and finally diving into Zero like I should have a year ago. Still, group FF plays are really fun so I'd be willing to put everything aside for that. The only ones that have ever really been successful here are the original FF7 one and the FF5 Fiestas, though. FF8 one was almost successful but it fell flat before it was finished.

Why not do a "Let's Play" ?

Aeana

Why not do a "Let's Play" ?

Well, that's the sort of thing that's being discussed right now. Although I prefer the way we do it here to the traditional SA-style Let's Play where one person plays and everybody else has input - the enjoyment I get is out of actually playing at the same time as other people, like a book club or whatever.

jaxword

Well, that's the sort of thing that's being discussed right now. Although I prefer the way we do it here to the traditional SA-style Let's Play where one person plays and everybody else has input - the enjoyment I get is out of actually playing at the same time as other people, like a book club or whatever.

Usually people do Let's Plays on fairly high traffic forums (SA, youtube, penny arcade, etc)... I think Neogaf would be able to do it.

Maybe you can get people to play it in a method people normally don't do, i.e. with the qhimm forums graphical mods?

Aeana

I just did 5 for the Five Job Fiesta thingy a couple of months ago. 9 sounds popular.

I think 7, 9 and 12 are the ones I'm most interested in doing. I think the only one I wouldn't do besides 5 is 4.

Gravijah

i just finished 9. :'( i'd probably be up for 7, 12 maybe but i don't really have the best setup for ps2 games at the moment, and i'm not sure how bad it would look on my monitor.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Congrats Aeana!

How about FFX? Since there's an HD release coming "soon", maybe we can do one for that and coincide the OT with a Let's Play (I called shotgun on the OT though :p).

Aeana

Congrats Aeana!

How about FFX? Since there's an HD release coming "soon", maybe we can do one for that and coincide the OT with a Let's Play (I called shotgun on the OT though :p).

Well, I kinda wanted to play something within the next decade.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Congratulations, Aeana! I hope the wedding was wonderful, and I wish you and your husband the best. :D

I'm up for whatever you guys pick. I'm not that picky.

No FFIV or FFXIII. Cid says no to this.

GxKOK.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm ok with any as long as it's not XII.

Eech, sputter sputter. And I bet we'll get XII HD when our children celebrate their HS graduation.

Hopefully I get to finish the Dragon Quest Zenithia trilogy before a Let's Play (done with V, at final dungeon in VI).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
FF13 endurance run: Everyone starts playing at the same time and is forced to take a shot whenever Snow says "hero" or "Serah" or when Vanille moans. Two shots for "Moms are tough". Last gaffer standing is the winner.
Nah man. Remember the last and only time I drank, and Beef suggested that I play Sonic 2006?

Bad move. :lol

Gravijah said:
you guys are so right, ffvi on the gba is much better than ffiv on the snes.
link-awwhellno1cpm2.gif

Aeana

Well, I agree with Gravijah. The only real downgrade in FF6 GBA is in the music, and only a couple of songs really suffer dramatically (e.g. Serpent Trench), and in exchange we get a fixed-up opera sequence. The translation is much better, the dumb bugs are fixed, and it's portable.

ULTROS!

Why not do a Let's Play with Dirge of Cerberus for the lulz.

Cheska

I'm honestly pretty flexible with which game we choose. Even if it's FFVII. Would we be making a separate thread for it?

Aeana

I assumed he meant FF6 on the SNES, but if he meant FF4 on the SNES, then I'm not sure what there is to argue about. FF6 in any form is better than FF4 on the SNES!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ULTROS! said:
Why not do a Let's Play with Dirge of Cerberus for the lulz.
That's something I'd attempt to enjoy via... I don't know. That game is stuck in an identity crisis, and that's what bothers me the most.

Professor Beef said:
And I still feel bad about suggesting Sonic 06 to you Schala. :lol
Naaaahhh, I had fun, and it's nice to know that the game still couldn't be salvaged even in my condition at the time. :lol

FF6 in any form is better than FF4 on the SNES!
This, I can agree with.

Aeana

I literally cannot play Dirge of Cerberus. The controls don't work for me. I even tried the mouse/keyboard option (was surprised it had one) and that still didn't work well for me.

Labadal

Btw, I'll exlude FFIX from the games I want to play with you guys. I'm already playing it at work.

I work at a school with 6-11 year olds. We play the game for 30 min - 1h most days. I don't grind and usually play at a quick pace. No side quests and no card games. The kids are loving it. The style is perfect for them. They ask me everyday, when are you going to play? Please, can you play, pleeeeaaaaasssseeee? It all started when I saw we had the game and I told a kid it was amazing. He tried it, didn't understand it, told me to help him. For each time I helped him, more and more kids joined to watch. Now it's almost a daily thing.

We reached one of the sadder points in the story. Kids were not happy.

Edit: Forgot the funniest part: I have to do real time translations for the kids.

Roto13

Well, I agree with Gravijah. The only real downgrade in FF6 GBA is in the music, and only a couple of songs really suffer dramatically (e.g. Serpent Trench), and in exchange we get a fixed-up opera sequence. The translation is much better, the dumb bugs are fixed, and it's portable.

A downgrade to the best Final Fantasy soundtrack ever and cutting those gorgeous battle screen backgrounds in half are enough to make me stick to the superior Virtual Console version.

Also "Son of a submariner" means the SNES script is superior.

Aeana

A downgrade to the best Final Fantasy soundtrack ever and cutting those gorgeous battle screen backgrounds in half are enough to make me stick to the superior Virtual Console version.

Also "Son of a submariner" means the SNES script is superior.

It's not even about the script, it's about the item, spell and monster names not being truncated junky junk.

Top Bottom