• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Seda

I'm seriously pissed off today. I just got started on disc 4 of Final Fantasy IX and the game is getting stuck at The Assault of the Silver Dragons FMV. I have four copies of this game, but only found two of them and neither of my disc 4's are any good. Does anyone have a save file from the fourth disc that I can play? It's been about 4 years since I last played and it's so damn frustrating that I can't beat it now!

Are you playing on a PS3?

Zoe

When I was playing FFVIII on PSP, I had to keep going back to playing on the PC via emulator to get past some of the bad FMV's.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Anyone know a good place to get tons of exp in disc 1 of ffviii? Want to try a no junctioning magic or using gfs level 100 playthrough.

I might just spend 7+ hours grinding in training center.

Falk

that puzzling face
Does that even work? I thought enemies scaled to you.

While the main game-breaker isn't relevant to you since it's junctioning that's more effective the less levels you have, beyond that does levelling actually make the bosses easier?

Sub_Level

Does that even work? I thought enemies scaled to you.

While the main game-breaker isn't relevant to you since it's junctioning that's more effective the less levels you have, beyond that does levelling actually make the bosses easier?

Levelling to 100 early would be purely to make the game harder, which I want.

Bosses scale just like enemies, but I believe you already see their last set of magics to draw and items to steal by like level 40. If you need a certain drop, mug, or drawn magic then you can (de)level enemies with gf abilities.

All enemies follow a basic algorithm for their health. Something like ENEMY LEVEL(5) + 900. So a level 1 enemy would have 905 hp. Base exp seems to follow a standard increase with every level.

Wow. For that I might consider a podcast. Or maybe you could learn French.

Omelette du fromage.

That Dexter quote.

I managed to get a PSN copy of this game, but I have a problem. It won't let me load my save file. It says to change to disc 4 and I press X and it says incorrect disc, but this is the digital copy. What the fuck?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That Dexter quote.

I managed to get a PSN copy of this game, but I have a problem. It won't let me load my save file. It says to change to disc 4 and I press X and it says incorrect disc, but this is the digital copy what the fuck?
The digital version is split into discs too. Press (hold?) the PS button and choose the 4th disc from the menu.

Seda

That Dexter quote.

I managed to get a PSN copy of this game, but I have a problem. It won't let me load my save file. It says to change to disc 4 and I press X and it says incorrect disc, but this is the digital copy what the fuck?

I dont remember the exact interface, but you do have to somehow 'change discs' within the UI. I think you go the the PS Button menu and hit 'Reset'?

Tirod

I don't want to use this thread for questions about orders, but I don't want to necro old threads for this issue.

Anyone in this thread have experience changing the payment method on a pre-order from Square Enix? I got an e-mail today saying that they were preparing to ship my CE of Type-0 sometime between March 2-4 and that my choice of payment would reflect the charge during that time.

Unfortunately, someone managed to get the credentials to my old credit card, which is what this order was originally tied to.

What steps do I take? In the same e-mail, there is nothing stated about changing payment/cancellations.

Sub_Level

Ok for my ffviii playthrough challenge what I am doing is using the disc swaps as bookmarks of sorts on where and when to level.

So I must be at least 25 by end of Disc 1. For all 6 characters. 50 for disc 2. 75 for disc 3. 100 for disc 4. I got this idea from some random google search and it seems awesome to me.

- No limit breaks except maybe for those done on Aura (but maybe this is too cheap)
- No junctioning magic (junctioning GFs ok though)
- No usage of items, but ok to refine them or use for weapon remodelling
- No using GF command in battle

JayEH

I don't want to use this thread for questions about orders, but I don't want to necro old threads for this issue.

Anyone in this thread have experience changing the payment method on a pre-order from Square Enix? I got an e-mail today saying that they were preparing to ship my CE of Type-0 sometime between March 2-4 and that my choice of payment would reflect the charge during that time.

Unfortunately, someone managed to get the credentials to my old credit card, which is what this order was originally tied to.

What steps do I take? In the same e-mail, there is nothing stated about changing payment/cancellations.

you have to email them.

Sub_Level

You know, the rate at which these mainline games are coming out has slowed substantially but jesus christ the amount of questionable Final Fantasy fanart has not stopped. If anything it may have increased.

iosefe

You know, the rate at which these mainline games are coming out has slowed substantially but jesus christ the amount of questionable Final Fantasy fanart has not stopped. If anything it may have increased.

gotta do something when we aren't playing a new game

Falk

that puzzling face
amount of questionable kingdom hearts fanart is a magnitude more

lol

p.s. the Pianoschlacht arrangement of Blinded By Light highlights exactly what I mean when I say Distant Worlds always does it like 20% too slow. More, in hindsight. Like, really.

Psxphile

Neat.

New:
FF3%20PC%20-%20New%20Menu.jpg

Old:

RIP Quicksave. I know some people have been hoping for something like this ever since the PC version was announced.

Falk

that puzzling face
PC going places.

wish I had time to follow through with those "HD Remaster" music packs for FFIII/IV/VIII - even Valkyria Chronicles' is languishing because of work

edit: Wondering how hard it would be to take the scalpel to the battle menus as well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Seems like FF Type-0 HD is coming out in my country March 10 (Asia).

Steelcase + Playing Cards (and of course the demo) costs about $59.

Falk

that puzzling face
Was at the Squeenix booth earlier today at BCEC

Type-0 HD looks amazing in person, on the big-screen. I have no idea if it's some form of subconscious prejudice, or just the art style/aesthetic in general, but the youtube videos don't do the game justice in motion.

Was at the Squeenix booth earlier today at BCEC

Type-0 HD looks amazing in person, on the big-screen. I have no idea if it's some form of subconscious prejudice, or just the art style/aesthetic in general, but the youtube videos don't do the game justice in motion.
That's good to hear. Do you know what area of the game was shown?

Golnei

I'm generally against drastically changing the art style of the impossible and/or inevitable FF7 remake, but Lap Pun Cheung's storyboard speedpaints manage to capture much of the original's atmosphere in a more naturalistic style, even including scenes like the parade and dolphin rescue. Though this direction is still notably more vibrant and stylised than the standardised 'realistic' S-E aesthetic.

R-User!

Make sure to listen to the sound of the feet hitting the floor so you know when to jump. Watching the rope is actually a fake-out.

So seriously speaking, should you just close your eyes after the first few ropes and learn how adapt 100% by sound?! 0_o I think I only ever got to 300 one time, then said "forget this!".

Never tried closing my eyes, but I know something about my technique involved timing/rhythm.....

So seriously speaking, should you just close your eyes after the first few ropes and learn how adapt 100% by sound?! 0_o I think I only ever got to 300 one time, then said "forget this!".

Never tried closing my eyes, but I know something about my technique involved timing/rhythm.....

The sound helps, but also watching the screen to know when the timing will change will work better lol

I went with sound, and also by jumping the instant Vivi hits the floor after a jump. I could never remember when the timing changed though, except once when I passed 1000. That one was yeeeeeears ago though, and I've never gotten it since.

I'm generally against drastically changing the art style of the impossible and/or inevitable FF7 remake, but Lap Pun Cheung's storyboard speedpaints manage to capture much of the original's atmosphere in a more naturalistic style, even including scenes like the parade and dolphin rescue. Though this direction is still notably more vibrant and stylised than the standardised 'realistic' S-E aesthetic.

I always found the transitions of the various artstyles in FFVII to be incredibly jarring. One moment you have field models, the next you have battle models, rarely you have FMV models which have tons of detail. I would not mind a FFVII remaster that had a consistent artstyle like the ones in your post.

Golnei

People dislike the field models for VII, but I think they're rather cute.

They are, and I think it'd also be viable (from an artistic if not commercial perspective) to retain that style with more modern lighting, higher model detail and more fluid animation; giving an overall effect not dissimilar to the HD version of Wind Waker.

The flat colours and blocky limbs would also differentiate it a little more from the standard chibi style which handheld RPGs are contractually obliged to adhere to.

Rnr1224

As a big jrpg I have realized I have never completes a final fantasy game. Played plenty but never beat any. I'll probably start with VI and IV. Think I'll be getting the PSP version of IV but I'm still undecided on VI. Portable is always better for me so I may tough out the long loading times if I get it on vita. GBA one is too expensive.

As a big jrpg I have realized I have never completes a final fantasy game. Played plenty but never beat any. I'll probably start with VI and IV. Think I'll be getting the PSP version of IV but I'm still undecided on VI. Portable is always better for me so I may tough out the long loading times if I get it on vita. GBA one is too expensive.

at least you're getting the worst ones out of the way

ilO5GRAlH4uGC.gif

Sub_Level

I played the playstation version a couple months back and still had a good experience. It is not unplayable by any means. Plus you get better music quality than gba.

Top Bottom