• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Falk

that puzzling face
Ah right. Yeah, they also have a penchant for playing it like 20% slower than normal for whatever reason.

It's like a magic PAL version of the battle theme running at 50fps

HEHE

iosefe

man, i love the Opera...

it is one of my dreams to perform it, as either Draco, or Ralse. i'm a tenor but i could do Ralse's part well enough

Falk

that puzzling face
I just have a pet peeve when covers can't get harmony right (and I'm not talking about intentionally)

I guess my standards are just ridiculously high, for obvious reasons D:

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ifrit's Cave 10 minute run is a terrible experience if you're not lucky with random battles. I forgot how bad it is. Got a game ovrer twice during a loading between areas...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just realized that Seifer got not only his life dream for being a sorceress' knight from Laguna's movie , but his affinity for gunblades, victory dance, and battle stance as well. Nice detail! I recognized the similarity upon first playing it but it didn't click until reading a story summation.

Ifrit's Cave 10 minute run is a terrible experience if you're not lucky with random battles. I forgot how bad it is. Got a game ovrer twice during a loading between areas...

The bats go down in one hit, the bigger flying things in like two or three. For bombs you will want some blizzard which you can draw from glacial eye in the plains. You don't have to spend 10 minutes drawing a bunch, just like 20-30 for the battles and Ifrit so that one person casts Blizzard while the other person summons Shiva. Magic can be junctioned to right away with Quetzacoatl if you want to increase damage a little so it makes for a nice team.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The bats go down in one hit, the bigger flying things in like two or three. For bombs you will want some blizzard which you can draw from glacial eye in the plains. You don't have to spend 10 minutes drawing a bunch, just like 20-30 for the battles and Ifrit so that one person casts Blizzard while the other person summons Shiva. Magic can be junctioned to right away with Quetzacoatl if you want to increase damage a little so it makes for a nice team.
Oh I know how it works. What killed me was running into fights with 4 enemies (2 bombs + 2 bats) and not setting the battle speed to maximum. I entered the cave with 60 blizzards, and 100 magic junctioned to everything I can. Hardly the first time I'm playing VIII (although this time I plan to finish it). The cave itself was just annoying, because despite doing everything "properly", long animations and loadings during encounters screwed me over on the middle battle speed.

Anyway, only reason I started playing VIII now was because I didn't have access to my Wii U, where I started the playthrough of V (I'm going in order without VII, XIII and XIII-2). Seems okay so far, although I'm only a few hours in and fought the second boss. Too bad the SNES version is not available on a 3DS. I refuse to play the PS1 version on my Vita, because I've heard it has long loading times, just like VI.

Sub_Level

Oh I know how it works. What killed me was running into fights with 4 enemies (2 bombs + 2 bats) and not setting the battle speed to maximum. I entered the cave with 60 blizzards, and 100 magic junctioned to everything I can. Hardly the first time I'm playing VIII (although this time I plan to finish it). The cave itself was just annoying, because despite doing everything "properly", long animations and loadings during encounters screwed me over on the middle battle speed.

I'm 35 hours-ish into Disc 3 and looking back I could have skipped time spent on drawing 100 of certain magics. You eventually get to a point where you have to discard lesser magic because it fills up slots anyways. If the magic is really good though then yeah it's worth spending the 10 minutes (less with higher magic stat) to draw it. I got 100 Quakes and 100 Regens last night from an enemy :) I'm not refining magic though so drawing is pretty much the best bet to hoard all that magic.

Maximum speed is too fast for me lol I felt most comfortable with the one between middle and maximum. It's night and day compared to IX.

Watched someone kill Penance in a stream earlier. Never going to attempt that. Also watched him stream the beginning of X-2 and now I have the damn intro stuck in my head. X_x

Pachimari

I'm not sure if I remember correctly.

If I choose to buy Final Fantasy Type-0 HD a month or two after release, will I still get the Final Fantasy XV demo?

Or is it only around launch or for those who pre-order?

I'm pretty sure that all the first print versions of the game will have the demo. So it probably is possible to get the demo in that time frame if Square prints a lot of copies,the game sells horribly, or a combination of both.

Sub_Level

All this time I thought the Ragnarok was just some random spaceship but there is a bonus cg scene showing it hauling Adel into space O_O

Style

Banned
Just saw the new Dissidia trailer. Oh man, I'm hyped. I really hope they consider doing a console port, it's about time we get a new Dissidia game!

Sub_Level

I can't figure out the piano and painting puzzles in FFVIII.

I have come all this way only to get stumped here. I could always look up the solutions but that's no fun.

Wow this is tough.

edit: I got painting puzzle down! Took me I would say 3 hours altogether. now for that damn piano...

Sub_Level

After I finished VIII I decided to buy Origins for FF1. "Grindy" jrp *encounter* gs has been a stereotyp *encounter* e fo *encounter*r the longest time but I guess *encounter* I ne *encounter* ver truly play *encounter* ed a grind *encounter*y jrpg until now because what the *encounter* hell *encounter* is with this encounter *encounter* rate *encounter* *encounter* *encounter* *encounter* *encounter* *encounter* *encounter*?! And shop prices in this are insane.

9 hours in. No crystals done yet, but finished blowing up the canal so my ship is free to sail around now.

I've always been annoyed with the opening cg of Final Fantasy 1 Origins.

Like what is it supposed to represent? All of the other bad cg opening of the remakes at least made a little sense for their respective games. The fact that the Warrior of Light represents the first game in Dissidia just blows my mind also, especially since his default costume doesn't look like any of the classes in the game (I'm aware of the alt costume).

/rant

Just trying to start a discussion of sorts since this community is a little dead

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After I finished VIII I decided to buy Origins for FF1. "Grindy" jrp *encounter* gs has been a stereotyp *encounter* e fo *encounter*r the longest time but I guess *encounter* I ne *encounter* ver truly play *encounter* ed a grind *encounter*y jrpg until now because what the *encounter* hell *encounter* is with this encounter *encounter* rate *encounter* *encounter* *encounter* *encounter* *encounter* *encounter* *encounter*?! And shop prices in this are insane.

9 hours in. No crystals done yet, but finished blowing up the canal so my ship is free to sail around now.
Random battles? IV is even worse, at least the psp version. The counter seems to be completely random - I sometimes got encounters 3-4 steps from each other.

Sub_Level

Random battles? IV is even worse, at least the psp version. The counter seems to be completely random - I sometimes got encounters 3-4 steps from each other.

That's what it's like in 1. Sometimes I go 20 steps, sometimes it's 3. I don't mind random battles, but it's more frequent than I'm used to!

Sub_Level

Chocobo Hot & Cold in IX is ridiculously annoying but so incredibly rewarding.

It really starts out at a snail's pace. I'd be lucky to find two shitty items like potions and eye drops. Eventually you start getting momentum, your beak gets stronger, and it gets more fun and intense. Don't even think I stayed digging in the third and final garden for more than 15 minutes because the chocographs were found so quickly.

Some of the things you learn when doing replays is amazing. I love that there's so much within VIII's world.

I like how the ragnarok also has the creepy Resident Evil style log from one of the crewmembers where they notice they are being picked off by creatures. I guess Bram Stoker's Dracula is the original piece of fiction that had something like that (where he picks off sailors on a boat at night), but maybe it dates earlier than that.

Here's what I mean: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ApocalypticLog

Sub_Level

This is one of the most clutch moments I have had in a singleplayer game.

16602430122_eb12a3761a_c.jpg

FF1 is pretty relentless, but just half left now. Got airship and upgraded classes.

My advice then would be to unequip the armor from the monk and see if that would make his armor rating be higher. If its the same as White Mage then go ahead and switch the white mage and monks positions because the mage has better durability than the monk with blink and invis, especially with the Mage shield. Monk just can't take hits in ff1.

I didn't know where else to ask so I thought I'd do so here:

Does setting FFXIII-2 to easy make battles quicker? I'm looking to play through for the story mostly but if there's not much time difference then I might as well stay on normal.

Sub_Level

My advice then would be to unequip the armor from the monk and see if that would make his armor rating be higher. If its the same as White Mage then go ahead and switch the white mage and monks positions because the mage has better durability than the monk with blink and invis, especially with the Mage shield. Monk just can't take hits in ff1.

I finished! Yeah I switched the WM position with the Monk.

My final level was 30 on all four characters and my final time was about 22 hours.

It's a good game but I think I just finished it for the novelty factor and out of obligation. If I had played that in the 80s I would be super impressed but it was kind of a slog for me to play through. I do appreciate that the game throws you right into the mix from the get-go and doesn't take hours to get going like the other more story-oriented FFs.

I'm seriously pissed off today. I just got started on disc 4 of Final Fantasy IX and the game is getting stuck at The Assault of the Silver Dragons FMV. I have four copies of this game, but only found two of them and neither of my disc 4's are any good. Does anyone have a save file from the fourth disc that I can play? It's been about 4 years since I last played and it's so damn frustrating that I can't beat it now!

Top Bottom