• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Speaking of chocobos, Chocobo Hot n' Cold is surprisingly fun. 9 out of 24 so far. Sometimes I find the place within 5 minutes. Sometimes 30 minutes lol

The digging is absolute controller abuse on my square button though.

Is it a gold chocobo though? Because if not then that person might as well stick to the car.

Gold chocobo or no chocobo.

Speaking of chocobos, Chocobo Hot n' Cold is surprisingly fun. 9 out of 24 so far. Sometimes I find the place within 5 minutes. Sometimes 30 minutes lol

Chocobo Hot n' Cold is one of my favorite minigames in the FF series. It's just really addicting honestly. That's not to say it can't be frustrating, but I feel like the rewards are worth the trouble and it's just fun.

Labadal

A remake or Remaster of FFIX has always been a secret dream of mine. Or just a release with decent loading times for battle transitions.

Meowster

A remake or Remaster of FFIX has always been a secret dream of mine. Or just a release with decent loading times for battle transitions.
God, yesss, even just a glorified HD rexture like Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask would do absolute wonders. Speaking of HD textures.. did you guys see what this guy is trying to do for Final Fantasy VIII PC?

rostrosprotagonistascop1.png

You should learn to time the digs!

I want a remake solely to see this scene redone in HD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WKGM3WxnAs

Wazzy

Banned
God, yesss, even just a glorified HD rexture like Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask would do absolute wonders. Speaking of HD textures.. did you guys see what this guy is trying to do for Final Fantasy VIII PC?

He's been working on that for awhile but honestly none of them look very good. I think Zell's is the closest to his original model but his looks the best originally.

I've said it before but god I would kill for an VIII remake with the ps2 tech demo graphics.

Sub_Level

Beat Hades in IX on my first try, but just barely. Was not prepared for those status effects at all and only won because of Auto Life and Elixers.

Holy crap at some of the stuff he offers you O_O.

Beat Hades in IX on my first try, but just barely. Was not prepared for those status effects at all and only won because of Auto Life and Elixers.

Holy crap at some of the stuff he offers you O_O.

Word to the wise: the Hammer is something that affects the ending (like a line of dialogue lol), but is ultimately useless.

Meowster

He's been working on that for awhile but honestly none of them look very good. I think Zell's is the closest to his original model but his looks the best originally.

I've said it before but god I would kill for an VIII remake with the ps2 tech demo graphics.
It'll still be good and fun to play with better quality models + it seems like they've started ti be able to make texture improvements on world maps/towns/etc. which is very exciting, at least for me. I'm always looking for a new excuse to play Final Fantasy VIII again.

In other news, did 250 lightning strikes and have every single crest/sigil sans Wakka's last and final one from playing Blitzball 600 times because I never got his other reels (and frankly never knew that that is where you got them from the past twelve years or so lol). After that, just got to maximize the Sphere Grid which I have no clue how the hell I am supposed to do that. Soooooo close..

Wazzy

Banned
It'll still be good and fun to play with better quality models + it seems like they've started ti be able to make texture improvements on world maps/towns/etc. which is very exciting, at least for me. I'm always looking for a new excuse to play Final Fantasy VIII again.

In other news, did 250 lightning strikes and have every single crest/sigil sans Wakka's last and final one from playing Blitzball 600 times because I never got his other reels (and frankly never knew that that is where you got them from the past twelve years or so lol). After that, just got to maximize the Sphere Grid which I have no clue how the hell I am supposed to do that. Soooooo close..

Oh absolutely, It's my favourite game. I just find those character models a little weird looking.

I need to check if Seifer mod is available so I can have him in my team.

Sub_Level

Yeah I put Shadow null equipment on all my characters and reflected my mages so they wouldn't get berserked. Beat him easily this morning.

Also beat the game. Good stuff. Not sure which one I'll try out now. Might go back to good 'ole VIII.

edit: is it just me or is the world map in ffviii running at 60 fps? Because damn it runs smooth.

sasliquid

Sup FFGaf, Ive been meaning to post in more community threads recently. FF6 and FF5 both rank as 2 of my absolute favourite games (I look forward to hopefully participating in the FF5 charity thing) but I love most of the mainline games (and tactics) (and I really like dissidia).

Quick question. I want to get my gf into ff but I'm not sure which game to start with. She's played a bit of FF4 but it didnt stick. She loves Elder Scrolls and almost all fantasy wrpgs and I think the characters and lore of the game could appeal to her. I'm thinking about trying to get her to play 6, 9 or 12 next, the latter because it's the closest to a dragon age esque system. Help?

Speaking of which FF12 on vita is all I want for my vita anymore, give me that (and DQ8) and I'll let the system rest.

Sup FFGaf, Ive been meaning to post in more community threads recently. FF6 and FF5 both rank as 2 of my absolute favourite games (I look forward to hopefully participating in the FF5 charity thing) but I love most of the mainline games (and tactics) (and I really like dissidia).

Quick question. I want to get my gf into ff but I'm not sure which game to start with. She's played a bit of FF4 but it didnt stick. She loves Elder Scrolls and almost all fantasy wrpgs and I think the characters and lore of the game could appeal to her. I'm thinking about trying to get her to play 6, 9 or 12 next, the latter because it's the closest to a dragon age esque system. Help?

Speaking of which FF12 on vita is all I want for my vita anymore, give me that (and DQ8) and I'll let the system rest.

I'd say 7 or 12 (would have said 10 but Tidus is annoying and it's pretty linear, so it might not be her thing), leaning closer to 12 because it's more recent and more like WRPG than 7, I guess. They're both pretty open and are fun to explore though. 6's encounter rate is annoying and I find 2D FFs hard to get into, TBH (I dunno if she plays older games to not be bothered by it). 9's battle loading time is a pain in the ass, but if she's patient, give it a shot?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What is the general consensus on The After Years? I've heard that it's not so good so I'm considering jumping straight into 5 after finishing 4.

Sub_Level

11 hours into VIII. Not using any limit breaks or refining abilities. Challenge is to get all cards, all gfs, and beat omega. Not too hard, but its all new to me since I only beat this game years ago and used cheap exploits. Never did the sidequests.

It is fun messing around with the various systems, like junctioning 100 sleep to a status attack and building gf abilities towards stat increases.

Squall cognitively and verbally insulting his party members is funny. Go talk to a wall.

Replaying IX for the first time in years. Oh, how I missed my baby. After all these years there's stuff I'm discovering. I never knew about all the dialogue options with the ticket booth guy at the beginning of the game. Usually I show him my ticket immediately and sometimes click on one of the other two options one time, but you can do it until eventually showing him the ticket's your only choice.

I don't think I ever talked to Alleyway Jack either. I always had assumed he was going to mug me after you were a lookout for Puck. I've been taking the time to talk to everyone I can. I managed to get 52 jumps from the jump rope game. I don't know if I'll ever get Jump Rope King, I don't have the patience.

Seda

What is the general consensus on The After Years? I've heard that it's not so good so I'm considering jumping straight into 5 after finishing 4.

I guess it can be somewhat interesting to revisit FFIV areas with new parties and such, but the game is quite repetitive and the story is dumb. I think playing it right after FFIV is probably asking for a burn out.

I did sort of enjoy the final (long) dungeon, at least a little bit.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's pretty much Final Fantasy sequel standard (X-2, XIII-2, LR, etc) - great for gameplay, cool for seeing 'what happens next' but don't expect Shakespeare writing.

And yeah that last dungeon was great. Boss after boss after boss.

Meowster

11 hours into VIII. Not using any limit breaks or refining abilities. Challenge is to get all cards, all gfs, and beat omega. Not too hard, but its all new to me since I only beat this game years ago and used cheap exploits. Never did the sidequests.

It is fun messing around with the various systems, like junctioning 100 sleep to a status attack and building gf abilities towards stat increases.

Squall cognitively and verbally insulting his party members is funny. Go talk to a wall.
Imagining some of the superbosses without King Zell's Armageddon Fist. The horror..

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Cleared FFIV yesterday. I really enojyed it, but feel no urge to play through the extra dungeon or After Years.
Off to FFV, sadly on a Wii U. Wish that V and VI were on the 3DS VC...

Sub_Level

Is there eventually a shop where I can buy parts for weapons in FFVIII?

Or is that just something I will have to get drops from enemies/mug/refine?

caffeware

Banned
This probably has been discussed here before, but let's try.

About FF XVI:
-FF XII Team
-Director: Hiroyuki Ito

I asked Toshiyuki Itahana (FFIX Character Designer) via Twitter if Hiroyuki Ito will direct another mainline FF, as FFIX and FFXII are my favorite in the series. He replied saying that he also respects Ito as an amazing game creator, and that I should please look forward to Ito's next game. Basically, Itahana indirectly said that Ito's got another mainline FF in the pipeline and I should look forward to when it's announced.

Nobuo Uematsu (Composer of FF series) told me face-to-face while he was in London for a Final Fantasy concert by the London Symphony Orchestra, he can guarantee that Hiroyuki Ito will direct another FF game. When I probed further and asked if Ito will direct either FFXV or FFXVI, he laughed and replied that his answer would get him in trouble with Square Enix.

Shinji Hashimoto said that Hiroyuki ito has been planning and proposing ideas for a new project. He added that Ito is putting a lot of depth into the gameplay systems and mechanics. As a result, development of this project would take some time.

My favorite:

I asked Yasumi Matsuno (FFT, Vagrant Story Director) via Twitter if he would write the scenario for FFXVI as a freelancer if Hiroyuki Ito was the director. He replied saying he unfortunately had "certain reservations" about answering the question. In other words, the answer to the question was in NDA territory.

.SourcE.

This probably has been discussed here before, but let's try.

I have no doubt in my mind that Square is working on FF 16, but I think it would probably be extremely early in preproduction. I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it until the E3/TGS after 15 ships. That being said, I'm happy to see the possibility of Matsuno's designs being in the next Final Fantasy. He always has the best designs in the series bar Amano.

I fully expect Final Fantasy 16 to be on mobile

Falk

that puzzling face
Announcing 16 any time before 15 ships, especially considering how long it's taken, is asking for trouble.

Meowster

Is there eventually a shop where I can buy parts for weapons in FFVIII?

Or is that just something I will have to get drops from enemies/mug/refine?
I think it is almost always drops only but some can be bought later on, I think around the time you get to Esthar. But maybe I am wrong.

Sigh. Would love for another Matsuno stab at Final Fantasy.

Sub_Level

I think it is almost always drops only but some can be bought later on, I think around the time you get to Esthar. But maybe I am wrong.

Sigh. Would love for another Matsuno stab at Final Fantasy.

I see, thanks. I got Card Mod for Quetzacoatl and it can make tons of weapon parts from cards so I think I will just use that.

I stipulated no refining but it's not like I'm creating cheap magics for junctioning or anything :p I always play the game getting stuff like Triple, Curaga, and Quake from refining so I wanted to play it differently for once. No refining magic. I also never remodeled anyone's weapons since it was so less streamlined than other FFs so this is fun to tinker with.

LuuKyK

Just found this fan-art on the Steam Community tab of FFXIII, thought it looked awesome (dont know who the author is though):

A 12.8MB patch just came out for both Final Fantasy 3 and 4 on Steam. Does anyone know what was changed?

I think a lot of games were patched, including FFXIII and XIII-2. Apparently nothing changed.

Meowster

Just found this fan-art on the Steam Community tab of FFXIII, thought it looked awesome (dont know who the author is though):

I think a lot of games were patched, including FFXIII and XIII-2. Apparently nothing changed.
Thank you! That's my new background for my laptop now!

Top Bottom