• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I want Crush 40 to do a theme song for an FF game.

I am being serious.

Hell yeah, man.

Okay, I'll stop being so silly. I want a Deen theme song or something similar, though. Using Bump of Chicken for Type-0's theme song was a step in the right direction. Even Otherworld and real Emotion were somewhat refreshing. FFXI's theme song is my favourite, of course, but I want something less... dramatic and ballad-y.

There aren't a lot of FF theme songs that I actually like, now that I think about it. I think I dislike the majority of them!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Labadal said:
Who does? :p
A lot of people in my experience. :O

I had two friends who felt the same way as I did, so I assumed that we were in a minority.

Stereotypical boring question:

- Favorite FF musical piece;
- Favorite FF battle theme.

Go!

(Mine = both FF VII battle music.)
This is too hard. :(
I'll get back to you.

epbAg.gif
flw8d.gif

Azuran

Banned
V might be controversial. VIII is truly one of my, and many others', least favorite FFs. All in all that game makes me angry. They're all good games worth playing other than XI.

I agree. FFV terrible story makes the game such a drag to play. I can go days without playing because the game lacks hooks that makes you want to continue. VIII is a complete mess. I hate most of the characters, I hate the junction system, I hate the story, and the game is way to easy. At least it had good music.

I'm currently playing XI and I'm loving it so far. Being part of a good party makes the game a lot of fun. I just hate it when none of my friends are online because I have nothing to do.

Stereotypical boring question:

- Favorite FF musical piece;
- Favorite FF battle theme.

Go!

(Mine = both FF VII battle music.)

FFIV Lunar Subterrane
FFVIII Boss theme

I'm sure XI nowadays bears little resemblance to what it was like when I played, which was literally 10 years ago (or 8... something like that). However back then it was fun at first (really awful controls, but one got used to them) but quickly became a turgid mess. Vague quests... completely and utterly unsolo'able... one of the most intractable economies I've ever seen... just a horrible time sink with so little reward.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^OMG. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Really, SE? Really?

Back to the music... I'm going to edit this and edit this and edit this and edit this, but...

Musical Piece (which I take to mean in terms of compositional ambition): Dancing Mad

Battle Theme: Battle 2 (FFMQ), The Man with the Machine Gun, The Price of Freedom, Battle Scene 1 (FFII), Boss Battle (FFXII), Clash on the Big Bridge, The Decisive Battle (FFV), The Birth of a God, Battle 3 (FFMQ), J-E-N-O-V-A, Sabre's Edge, Nascent Requiem, Battle Theme #2 (FFXI), Battle Theme #3 (FFXI), Tough Battle, Paradigm Shift (FFXIII-2)

Dungeon Theme: Doom Castle, duh. Mountain Range of Whirlwinds and Lava Dome, too.

I'd like to add:

Character Theme: Hope's Theme (acoustic guitars and I mix very well; and the arrangement in FFXIII-2 is very Genso Suikoden-esque and I love it as well), Rose of May, Rebel Army's Theme, Elia the Water Maiden, Edgar and Mash/Coin Song, Caius's Theme, Yeul's Theme

Town Theme: Silence and Motion, Dance of the Balamb-Fish, Frontier Village Dali, Ruins of Madain Sari, Secret Library Daguerreo, Royal City of Rabanastre, Rabanastre Downtown, My Home Sweet Home, You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet, The Celestial Capital, Kazham, Rabao, Mhaura

World Map Theme: Crossing Those Hills, Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII, Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV, Main Theme [of Final Fantasy II], Eternal Wind

Field Theme (for FFX and onwards): Besaid Island (FFX), People of the North Pole, Giza Plains, To the Place of the Gods, Dust to Dust, Wandering on a Sunny Afternoon, The Sanctuary of Zi'tah, Flowers on the Battlefield, Parallel World (FFXIII-2)

Event Battle Theme (ex: think of those themes that play throughout the field you're exploring and transition into battles like Bombing Mission, Hunter's Chance, You're Not Alone!, Ambush Attack, Assault of the Silver Dragons, or The Landing): Followers of Chaos (FFXIII-2), The Landing, Assault, Assault of the Silver Dragons, Night of Seclusion, The Serpent Trench, Will to Fight, Run (FFXIII-2)

Chocobo Theme: Ukulele de Chocobo

Hah, I don't care if I'm cheating. It's difficult to choose a few themes based on the plethora of Final Fantasy albums out there! What an expansive catalogue. You have to make the categories more specific.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
was just discussing with a friend how effortlessly captivating and fun the opening of FF9 is. thought i would totally divebomb this thread by saying i think it's depressing how little of that has been captured since. i'm sure many of you disagree, but there it is.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No way, I totally agree.

FFIX is my idealized interpretation of what Final Fantasy is, and what the series means to me in general. Most of what happens in that game hits my sweet spots just right. There hasn't been an FF game since then that made me feel that way. It's a little disappointing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I predict Cloud pillow husbandos in the future.

My ideal FF is something like FFX. Something wonderous or magical but at the same time semi-realistic and dramatic. FFVIII was close though.

ULTROS!

Dragon

Banned
Does FFIX slow down for anyone else in disc 4 for certain enemies and spells when you play it on the psp?

I believe it has problems on ps2 as well. It's probably the emulator.

Bar none the worst song is that absolutely silly Final Boss in FFX. I don't even know where to start there. I hold FFX in a certain regard, regardless of how weak some aspects of the game are, but that song is just ugh.

Gravijah

I believe it has problems on ps2 as well. It's probably the emulator.

Bar none the worst song is that absolutely silly Final Boss in FFX. I don't even know where to start there. I hold FFX in a certain regard, regardless of how weak some aspects of the game are, but that song is just ugh.

i take it you're not a fan of the daytona usa soundtracks.

Xux

I liked the Final Boss theme in FFX. Way better than most of the crap Junya Nakano wrote for the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have never played Daytona USA.
So... so... so... you've never heard ROLLING START or Let's go away?!

D:

I associate the Zanarkand song with FFX so phooey on Nakano :D.

Soooooooo, when my friends and I were taking music theory/musical theatre (an actual class at our school... no, it wasn't like Glee)/choir/drama, we used to play around with the piano a lot. And, uh, we never wanted to play To Zanarkand because we just didn't like the BGM at all. The Piano Collections arrangement by Hamauzu is fine, but the original was boring to play.

And I like Nakano! Most of his good work is on Musashi 2 and The After Years anyway. His work on FFX's soundtrack is rendered kind of meh in comparison to those albums.

I wasn't too clear about what you were talking about. Otherworld? Uematsu composed that, and the extra percussion for the Braska Final Aeon was really damn cool. I had a friend who played the drums and loved playing that every now and then.

Decisive Battle, and Summoned Beast Battle (Nakano's best thing on that album) are brilliantly composed.

Rinoa

So... so... so... you've never heard ROLLING START or Let's go away?!

When I went to the PLAY symphony which later morphed into FF Distant Worlds, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi performed 'Let's go away' live. It was awesome, a whole concert with songs from various videogames and then a Daytona USA surprise.

I felt sad that maybe a handful of people including myself knew the song amongst the audience though.

Xux

If they ever remade the PSX-era Final Fantasy games, what sort of perspective would you want? High quality pre-rendered stuff like in REmake and RE Zero? Static camera angles like in Valkyrie Profile 2 or the FFIV remake? Or redo everything have a controllable camera like FFXI-FFXIV do?

If they ever remade the PSX-era Final Fantasy games, what sort of perspective would you want? High quality pre-rendered stuff like in REmake and RE Zero? Static camera angles like in Valkyrie Profile 2 or the FFIV remake? Or redo everything have a controllable camera like FFXI-FFXIV do?

Pre-rendered for me.

Aeana

I would prefer fully 3D, but I don't care about whether the camera is controllable or not. FF4 DS is fine. I just really want fully 3D story scenes with emotive faces and stuff. I've dreamed about that with FF6 for over a decade, and I'd like it for the others as well.

sublimit

Banned

Full 3D with controllable camera.I want to explore and feel immersed in the environments as much as possible.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
replaying ff9 last year makes me want pre-rendered backgrounds. they're amazing.

this is my jam. pre-rendered backgrounds are so awesomely detailed and cool. you're not going to go to 90% of the world in an RPG anyway, and background scenes are designed to set a scene, provide ambiance, to lend a sense of depth and reality to a place. if we imagine all technological and economic barriers are leveled, would it even be desirable to have an entire full-scale city rendered and navigable for the purposes of an RPG? maybe if that were the only place in the whole game, but to have 4 or 5 of these? it becomes untenable. you can't even play that shit! pre-rendered backgrounds are not only aesthetically better, as they allow for a greater amount of detail and mood in games that live and die by the feeling scenarios convey to the player, but they also provide a sense of scale without overwhelming you with superfluous options that muddy the experience.

Aeana

this is my jam. pre-rendered backgrounds are so awesomely detailed and cool. you're not going to go to 90% of the world in an RPG anyway, and background scenes are designed to set a scene, provide ambiance, to lend a sense of depth and reality to a place. if we imagine all technological and economic barriers are leveled, would it even be desirable to have an entire full-scale city rendered and navigable for the purposes of an RPG? maybe if that were the only place in the whole game, but to have 4 or 5 of these? it becomes untenable. you can't even play that shit! pre-rendered backgrounds are not only aesthetically better, as they allow for a greater amount of detail and mood in games that live and die by the feeling scenarios convey to the player, but they also provide a sense of scale without overwhelming you with superfluous options that muddy the experience.

I'm not necessarily following you all the way through. How would real-time rendered towns with fixed camera angles or with a limited area be different?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I'm not necessarily following you all the way through. How would real-time rendered towns with fixed camera angles or with a limited area be different?

my immediate thought (though i know little about these things, so bear with the layman here) is that rendering those things in real time would be frivolous use of resources and also produce a background that is far less detailed. i could be off about this though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
replaying ff9 last year makes me want pre-rendered backgrounds. they're amazing.
A lot of the ones in FFVIII and FFIX are gorgeous. I love a lot of them.

Quite a few of them in FFVII like City of the Ancients, Aeris's House, Wall Market, the Gaea Cliffs and Mythril Mines are quite pretty and detailed too.

Wall Market is sooo damn happenin'. Charming as shit.

FF8 had the most atmospheric prerendered backgrounds though. Garden, Dollet, Deling City, Timber, Esthar, Fisherman's Horizon.... <3 bro. Stylin' as fuck.

Rinoa

While FF7's backgrounds had an insane amount of details (only mentioned in the extra Intl disk) I loved FF8's backgrounds for the art direction.

this company did the bg designs
http://www.kusanagi.co.jp/art.html

I'd definitely want a completely 2D artstyle on prerendered backgrounds for FF6 because it's such a rich renaissance looking game, losing detail would really detract from the original feel of it.

Top Bottom