• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe we missed this but Game Informer ranked the FF games with explanations: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...the-final-fantasy-series.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

I'll spoiler the ranking from bottom to top:
14. FFXIV
13. FFII
12. FFIII
11. FFXI
10. FFIX
9. FFV
8. FFI
7. FFXII
6. FFXIII
5. FFVIII
4. FFVII
3. FFIV
2. FFX
1. FFVI

Agree/Disagree? Any comments on their comments? Actually I'll agree with the top 4 (or even 5).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFIX under FFXIII D:< ??

"sharpens sword"

He did state that FFXIII had the best FF battle system to date, and I actually agree with him. :p

Though I would have put FFIX above FFXIII.

Roto13

Zoe

I've never been able to hop onto the love-train for FFIX. Didn't rally find that one appealing at all.

ULTROS!

I hereby banish you from these sacred grounds.

Here is your complimentary copy of FFXIII.

HENCE, FOUL HERETIC!

You gave her a better game
according to the list
. :p

Labadal

I only played a little of X, but from what I remember it...I didn't hate it.

Like every other FF game, some will love it and some will hate it. I think I spent close to 300 hours on 2,5 playthroughs and I'll still be getting the HD version if it releases in the west.

I must be easily pleased, but I hate no game in the series that I have played.

FFI-X, FFXII, FFXIII
FFVII: CC
FFX-2
FFXII: RW
FFT (& FFT:WotL)
FFTA, FFTA2
FFMQ

Gravijah

Maybe we missed this but Game Informer ranked the FF games with explanations: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...the-final-fantasy-series.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

14. FFXIV
13. FFII
12. FFIII
11. FFXI
10. FFIX
9. FFV
8. FFI
7. FFXII
6. FFXIII
5. FFVIII
4. FFVII
3. FFIV
2. FFX
1. FFVI

Agree/Disagree? Any comments on their comments? Actually I'll agree with the top 4 (or even 5).

that uh... let's just say that is not how i would rank them.

I can't understand all the FFIV love, I could'nt stand the story with all those
"OMG I'll sacrifice myself to save the group only to be found later miraculously alive!!!111"

I enjoyed controlling so many different characters though. But for me the other SNES ffs are much better.

Is the remake different storywise?

Labadal

I posted earlier in the thread how I wish FFXV would be like. Now I have been thinking about the graphical style, and I have come to the conclusion that it would be interesting if SE tried some type of cel shading. I think they would do a good job with that.

I'm surprised Sqaure Enix haven't tried their luck with a dowloadable 2D FF game on PSN/XBLA. Just look at Breath of Death VII and Cthulu saves the World. A two man team and they did good.

Gravijah

I posted earlier in the thread how I wish FFXV would be like. Now I have been thinking about the graphical style, and I have come to the conclusion that it would be interesting if SE tried some type of cel shading. I think they would do a good job with that.

I'm surprised Sqaure Enix haven't tried their luck with a dowloadable 2D FF game on PSN/XBLA. Just look at Breath of Death VII and Cthulu saves the World. A two man team and they did good.

ffxv will be multiple games sharing a universe developed by crystal dynamics, io interactive and the team that made 2012 hit game theatrhythm.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

14. FFXIV
13. FFII
12. FFIII
11. FFXI
10. FFIX
9. FFV
8. FFI
7. FFXII
6. FFXIII
5. FFVIII
4. FFVII
3. FFIV
2. FFX
1. FFVI

That's... uh, that's not how I'd rank them.

Also, extreme dissatisfaction with the low ranking of FFII and FFIX (forget FFIX being ranked under FFXIII... FFIX and FFV ranked under FFI?! Je ne comprends pas!)

He did state that FFXIII had the best FF battle system to date, and I actually agree with him. :p
I wholeheartedly disagree. D:

ATB Kai/Dresspheres is superior, imo.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
GameInformer said:
I didn't play Final Fantasy II until it was packaged as part of Final Fantasy Origins on PSone. By that time, I had already finished Final Fantasy, and stepping backwards isn't easy. I don't have anything against playing older titles, but the dumb leveling system and dull story in this entry fail to immerse players in the world or the combat.
I didn't play FFII until after I had played FFV SFC (so when I was a teenager and had played much of the FF catalogue aside from FFVI, FFXII, FFX-2 and any future games in the series), and I thought it was pretty neat at the time, and I loved the narrative. The leveling system takes getting used to, but it works out pretty well if you do what's required of you rather than beat up your party members all the time.

GameInformer said:
The throwback works well thanks to the fantastic ensemble cast &#8211; Steiner and Vivi stealing the spotlight away from supposed protagonist (and dude with a stupid tail) Zidane. The story starts great but gets progressively crazier due to Sephiroth-wannabe villain Kuja. As the last entry on the original PlayStation, FF IX pushes the system to its limits; I remember being floored by the spell effects and summon animations, though combat moves too slowly for my taste &#8211; even with the battle speed cranked up.
The criticisms of the speed of the battle system make sense, and so does the criticism of the last leg of the narrative. I don't really understand why it's ranked lower than FFI, though. FFI NES is an utter chore to play through.

GameInformer said:
I have to give fair credit to the game that started it all. Yes, the story is practically non-existent, the four main characters don't speak, and you can only save from the overworld. However, considering that Final Fantasy was one of the early building blocks of an entire genre, it's importance to recognize how much the game accomplished. Successfully translating concepts from paper-and-pencil tabletop games (like D&D), Final Fantasy brought an epic adventure to life for me in a way that was previously only possible in my imagination. This game is responsible for kindling my lifelong affinity for role-playing games.
I think I understand the mentality behind the rankings now. It appears to be rooted in legacy and storytelling rather than how each game affected the gameplay and ability systems of the next, or how well the battle system and ability systems were implemented in the game.

I liked Dragon Quest/Warrior I a lot better than FFI back then. >.>

Which brings me to this question: does one play Final Fantasy--or role-playing games in general--for primarily the narratives and the ability/battle system secondary, or does one play it (them) for the ability systems/battle systems first and foremost and the narrative is secondary?

Xux

No clue how Game Informer could have such a shitty opinion like that.

XIII's about seven spots too high. VIII, IX, XI, XII, and XIV should be higher; VI and X should be lower.

Gravijah

No clue how Game Informer could have such a shitty opinion like that.

XIII's about seven spots too high. VIII, IX, XI, XII, and XIV should be higher; VI and X should be lower.

i'm not really sure where i would place xi. eitherway, it's an amazing game.

Which brings me to this question: does one play Final Fantasy--or role-playing games in general--for primarily the narratives and the ability/battle system secondary, or does one play it (them) for the ability systems/battle systems first and foremost and the narrative is secondary?

i would say the most important parts of an rpg to me are story (and related things, like characters) and music.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
GameInformer said:
One of the great things about this series is that it reinvents itself with each entry. Final Fantasy XII is a drastic reimagining of combat and progression for the series, and those changes have earned FF XII legions of devoted fans. Personally, I wish this one had stuck a little closer to the series' comfort zone. While the game is well-executed and adheres closely to a clear vision for its design, that vision is too broad and undirected for it to contend with the heavy hitters on this list. I love the license grid and gambit system conceptually, but in practice, they bring the pacing to a grinding halt as you spend your time in menus tinkering. It doesn't help that the story seems more concerned with its own subtle political machinery than delivering a captivating tale&#8230;but Fran and Balthier are there to save the day.
I don't really mind this, though. I really like tinkering with what ability and AI systems in games have to offer. :/

It goes to show that FFXII was rather divisive, though. I personally loved ADB, and the Gambit system. The vanilla FFXII License Board was fixed for the best in IZJS (one of my complaints was that the vanilla license board felt like FFVI's Esper system where everyone felt the same outside of personal stats), but with IZJS, it isn't really a problem.

GameInformer said:
If FF XII is too open and unfocused, Final Fantasy XIII swings in the opposite direction. Many gamers complain about its linearity, but that wasn't really a problem for me. My chief complaint was how the story made no sense whatsoever. So, how does an RPG with a lousy story rank #6 on this list? The battle system. FF XIII has my favorite battle system of any Final Fantasy title, hands-down. Instead of micromanaging individual actions, you have the satisfaction of guiding the flow of a kinetic, ever-changing encounter. I don't even care that the plot falls apart, because as long as I'm fighting something in FF XIII, I'm happy.
Heh, I'll keep my opinion of FFXIII's battle system to myself, then.

Xux

It feels like both since I feel like FFIX (my favorite) has a good balance of both. FFV and FFTA2 are definitely amazing just with their battle systems and with their somewhat lacking stories. VII and VIII, even with their lower tier gameplay, had a good enough story to keep me interested.

Really, it feels like I play games for everything about them but I tend to like them for their good parts as long as the bad doesn't completely ruin it (like in FFII).

Labadal

I don't really mind this, though. I really like tinkering with what ability and AI systems in games have to offer. :/

It goes to show that FFXII was rather divisive, though. I personally loved ADB, and the Gambit system. The vanilla FFXII License Board was fixed for the best in IZJS (one of my complaints was that the vanilla license board felt like FFVI's Esper system where everyone felt the same outside of personal stats), but with IZJS, it isn't really a problem.

Heh, I'll keep my opinion of FFXIII's battle system to myself, then.

I don't think the FFXIII system was that bad, but I feel like the battle system didn't offer enough control. I would have preferred if gambits were still an option.

Me: Vanille, please cast protect! Fuuuu, not faith, protect damn you, protect!

Gambits would have made the game so much better even if you don't change anything else. Then we have the sudden spike in enemy health. It didn't really require different tactics, I could use the same type of tactics and still win. Using haste would make these fights less annoying. The we had the weapons. I didn't even try to upgrade them until 40 hours in, and even then I did it just for fun. I never felt like I had to upgrade them.

I think there were 3-4 challenging battles in the game, but other than that it was the easiest game in the series. It also felt like a step back from FFXII.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It feels like both since I feel like FFIX (my favorite) has a good balance of both. FFV and FFTA2 are definitely amazing just with their battle systems and with their somewhat lacking stories. VII and VIII, even with their lower tier gameplay, had a good enough story to keep me interested.

Really, it feels like I play games for everything about them but I tend to like them for their good parts as long as the bad doesn't completely ruin it (like in FFII).
Yeah, FF is one of those series where it seems as though balance is key for some people. Or some of the games excel in certain areas, but are weaker in others. The parts that they excel at make up for their weaknesses.

FF is more strange to me where I don't really have a central favourite title, but I'd rather separate them into categories because there are certain things I like about some of the games, and there are certain things I dislike.

I've noticed that I've started to play games moreso for development or battle systems than anything else, though. Going back and replaying some of the older games with this mentality in mind has changed my opinion of the games somewhat.

noooo, dismantle it!
Nah. I think I wrote something up a long time ago for the "favourite battle systems" thread because I had omitted CSB from my list, but I just saved in Word and never posted it since I was a shy little Junior at the time and I didn't want the discussion to devolve into a list thread.

But... let's just say that I was really bored with the CSB system until the Bart battles in Chapters 9 and 11, the late postgame missions and the Gui battles. In a lot of places, it felt like a step back from FFXII in terms of character control, and also a step-back from FFX-2 in terms of job selection flexibility in terms of combinations and permutations (depending on what you're doing in battle and you have to set the roles or dresspheres in predetermined positions).

I don't think the FFXIII system was that bad, but I feel like the battle system didn't offer enough control. I would have preferred if gambits were still an option.

Me: Vanille, please cast protect! Fuuuu, not faith, protect damn you, protect!

Gambits would have made the game so much better even if you don't change anything else. Then we have the sudden spike in enemy health. It didn't really require different tactics, I could use the same type of tactics and still win. Using haste would make these fights less annoying. The we had the weapons. I didn't even try to upgrade them until 40 hours in, and even then I did it just for fun. I never felt like I had to upgrade them.

I think there were 3-4 challenging battles in the game, but other than that it was the easiest game in the series. It also felt like a step back from FFXII.
Agreed. I think the system would have benefitted from formations (and apparently formations don't make a difference in FFXIII-2 from what my friend tells me and he never really used them), and also gambits or a tactical system like Tales employs (you can position people yourself, you can tell them to use items, you can tell them to stop attacking, etc).

The weapon system could have been good if they exposed more of the numbers involved in levelling up. I really didn't like it, especially after getting the game's plat. So tedious. I finished all the missions and downed my first Gui by using Tier-1 weapons, so no, you don't need to level up your weapons at all... unless you want the trophy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
did anyone else not really use gambits? i had a few set up, but i preferred direct control over everyone.
I tried that for the first part of the game, but in the end Gambits felt rather convenient after a while (plus you can override them). I decided to try playing the game like I would a Tales game and everything kinda clicked.

But that's the thing about it--you're never forced to use them so you can play the game the way you want to play it. Everyone plays games differently.

Labadal

did anyone else not really use gambits? i had a few set up, but i preferred direct control over everyone.

I mixed it up. I used gambits for easy mobs. I controlled all the characters during boss battles or when I tried to take on higher level characters. It was just great to have the gambits as an option. In a way it feels like I controlled my companions anyway. Because they did exactly what I wanted them to. On my first playthrough I felt the game wasn't very hard, but I did every hunt (except Yazmat), fought the summons, and most side stuff. I was overlevelled by the end. On my second playthrough I did most story battles at low levels and then I finished all the hunts, etc.

My second playthrough was amazing for me. It was a big challenge and it required me to be on my toes and use the whole party. I remember the King Bomb fight, and the Elder Dragon , wich has become my favorite fight in the series. I ended the fight with 5 dead characters and Penelo at 200 hp with poison status. That was one hell of a ride. There were many other fights that were nerve wracking on that second playthrough, but those two are the ones I will never forget. Many who complain about FFXII and say that you can beat the game with one gambit setup were probably overlevelled.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like Abyss as an overall package for some reason, but it isn't my favourite Team Symphonia game. I'm still trying to decide if Vesperia still is or if the parts I liked in Xillia overtook it (leaning closer to Vesperia, though), but I definitely don't mind Xillia's DR-LMBS at all.

What I didn't like about Abyss--outside of the character interactions (save for Jade and Dist cuz they were funny)--was essentially its FR-LMBS (Flex Range-Linear Motion Battle System). What Abyss introduced to the series was Free Run, and while it's convenient, I don't really like using it too much. Most people seem to use it for running away from spells or AoE attacks rather than positioning themselves intuitively (and this was part of my problem with Knight of Rat-...Dawn of the New World too). FoF was kinda fun to play with at times, though.

The other games in the series are definitely worth a try... like Graces, which has the best battle system in the series next to Tales of Rebirth! It's so good.

Labadal said:
I can't do it, but it's something I have read A LOT on the internet. I call bull****.
Yeah, they're probably overlevelled. I can't really think of an instance when I used one Gambit setup for the entire thing.

I wish the PS3 version of Vesperia would get released here. It always looked fun.

And I should probably give Abyss another try, but I think I got rid of it. It's a shame too, since a friend of mine was part of the QA team. He explained to me the why Luke was so whiny, and he also pointed out how the team was supposed to mark any and all instances of blood so they could be removed.

Cheska

I think I'm biased on Vesperia because of my love of Repede, however I'm really excited to try out Graces in Feb. In a sense I'm even more excited about Abyss on the 3DS, because I get more enjoyment out of RPG's I can play on the go rather than having to sit in front of my TV for a long period of time.

Also, it's easier for me to beat the game if I can play it at work too. Like Trails in the Sky, which didn't take me as long as say, Persona 3 did.

I need some advice, I am going to try replaying Final Fantasy XII again seeing as I have yet to complete it. I enjoy the combat etc, so that isn't a problem.

It is just that I found that I never had any money. Is that a problem I can overcome or do I have to just deal with the loot/drops and sell all of that? And is there any loot I shouldn't sell?
Also, the benefits of chaining enemies are? Thanks Final Fantasy GAF!

Roto13

I need some advice, I am going to try replaying Final Fantasy XII again seeing as I have yet to complete it. I enjoy the combat etc, so that isn't a problem.

It is just that I found that I never had any money. Is that a problem I can overcome or do I have to just deal with the loot/drops and sell all of that? And is there any loot I shouldn't sell?
Also, the benefits of chaining enemies are? Thanks Final Fantasy GAF!

I think the only piece of loot you shouldn't sell besides teleport stones and gysahl greens (for obvious reasons) is the snakeskin you get from a boss or hunt or something. It's not overly important, but you can use it in a sidequest later.

Chaining enemies makes them drop more and better loot. So that's how you get more money. :p Grinding sucks, but if you do want to grind for money relatively early in the game, the Lhusu Mines have an area with only skeletons that spawn continuously, so you can get a lot of high quality loot from them. And they go down pretty easy.

And if you're not already thinking this, use a guide to make sure you don't miss the Zodiac Spear. :p Because having to skip certain chests is bullshit.

Xux

You should look up how to unlock the Tournesol before you sell your Arcana, too.

The way they came up with to get the Zodiac Spear is so fucking stupid; I'd probably like FFXII more than I do if I just didn't know about how shitly designed some of the stuff is.

14. FFXIV
13. FFII
12. FFIII
11. FFXI
10. FFIX
9. FFV
8. FFI
7. FFXII
6. FFXIII
5. FFVIII
4. FFVII
3. FFIV
2. FFX
1. FFVI

Well, no list is going to match my list perfectly, but generally speaking this is off. X is too high, XII way too low, VIII *way* too high. I mean in no universe would I rather play XIII than XII. It does have a more exciting battle system, but XII is no slouch.

If I had to put them into groups, and purely in terms of how good the games are today without handicapping them by release date, without an exact ranking in each group:

1. VII, VI
2. IX, IV, X, XII
3. VIII, XIII, V
4. XI
(others = haven't really played)

XII would be in group 1 if not for that story. A bold open, complex direction for the series, sadly abandoned afterwards.

Top Bottom