• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

While FF7's backgrounds had an insane amount of details (only mentioned in the extra Intl disk) I loved FF8's backgrounds for the art direction.

this company did the bg designs
http://www.kusanagi.co.jp/art.html

I'd definitely want a completely 2D artstyle on prerendered backgrounds for FF6 because it's such a rich renaissance looking game, losing detail would really detract from the original feel of it.

Cheers for the link that's awesome. I'm surprised though, I'd have thought all the concept art/art direction would have been in-house?

Rinoa

Yep, the direction, the major concepts and whatnot of the general look and feel for locations comes from Squaresoft and then it's a back and forth approval process.

Seems they no longer keep all of their artwork online, they had quite a bit of rough drawings and such for the PSX era FFs back in the day on their website. Most of those drawings are now only found in certain ultimanias and v-jump magazines.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The PS1 era had a ton of ridiculously wonderful art. Chrono Cross background art is probably my favourite art out of the PS1 era since Honne is awesome.

My brain must be cold because it's hard to find some good FF ones. I'm wearing a scarf inside my house.

Fake Edit: nvm, found some. Great colour palette and colour selection/details in some of these.

FFVII

0iu1R.jpg
hCl8b.jpg

7BwCM.jpg
lAlKI.png

orQa6.png
qIA1h.jpg

QgdJZ.png
GqqNm.png

WOMaK.png
Q3NfX.png

rNQ2I.png
quV4a.png

uxsnn.png
0aTCF.png
guuGN.png

kAFjZ.png
x4NGZ.png

I already said it but for me the VII remake would be perfect if they just remade those backgrounds into HD, remodelled characters and enemies, maybe balance some mechanics, fix some bugs, add a proper translation and add extra dungeons like with the GBA FF's.

All I need.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
The designs in FFVIII is one of my favorites in the series. It's too bad I didn't enjoy the rest of the game.

Those backgrounds are incredibly gorgeous. So many little details you won't find in real-time stuff.

Another thing that I find kind of peculiar is that the music in those PSX-era FFs was always substantially catchier and more memorable than in later games. As far as I know it's all Uematsu so it doesn't make terribly much sense to me why that'd change.

jaxword

Those backgrounds are incredibly gorgeous. So many little details you won't find in real-time stuff.

Another thing that I find kind of peculiar is that the music in those PSX-era FFs was always substantially catchier and more memorable than in later games. As far as I know it's all Uematsu so it doesn't make terribly much sense to me why that'd change.

People say the EXACT SAME THING about the Snes tunes.

It's all a matter of taste.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally found some FFIX backgrounds. They are probably my favourites. I recall playing this for the first time and being wowed by the Ice Cavern. Man, if I could post everything from FFIX, I would.

436bljb1.jpg

0821ujmw.jpg
201qdkkm.jpg

4301vx8h.jpg
527iyj2j.jpg

596dfj2z.jpg
240poj2n.jpg

6494fkwi.jpg
491c6j7n.jpg

529j4jmw.jpg
2617ijxz.jpg

1319uk9c.jpg
335wrjml.jpg

266cxkzw.jpg

493vqkl1.jpg
499ufkfh.jpg

38685k2q.jpg
187dvkev.jpg

587zvkv2.jpg
510khj4e.jpg

459csk4b.jpg
478ne061.jpg

134cmkmp.jpg
477th4b4.jpg

1421j3oo.jpg
480k26ck.jpg

510rnjqf.jpg
635f8jlv.jpg

528wnk57.jpg
68137k2e.jpg

040lmkwp.jpg
525eejq7.jpg

631gpkpo.jpg
652csvcu.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Eh, they were the best I could find without the character or NPCs mucking up the works. I could barely find any Memoria ones. :/

Regardless. Lots of the architecture in that game are really good. You could see that although FFVIII and FFIX are different in terms of aesthetic, that they came a long way from FFVII's art (which is good in itself, but VIII's and IX's styles are more... refined).

Aeana

Looking at those FF9 backgrounds made my desire to replay the game slip away. Particularly the ones from dungeons. Blech.

mudkyp

I haven't seen anything from the FFVII-FFIX in years. What a nice trip down memory lane.

One of my biggest gripes about FFVII is the inconsistent character models. You're playing in these great detailed areas, but your character looks like a Popeye reject. Of all the FF games I think FFVII would benefit the most from it. And I'm not that big of a fan of VII.

Rinoa

VIII had locales I honestly wanted to live in, wouldn't mind a house in Dollet near the harbor or visiting that cafe.

IX had very cozy stuff, no sharp angles. One of my fave locales was a cozy bedroom in a castle somewhere. I can't remember where exactly, have to replay the game and haven't touched it since my first play when it came out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Looking at some of those Winhill pics remind me of the village and hamlets I used to go to for ice cream or fruit picking when I was little. Like, before all that stuff got modernized/the farms got sold off. I can't help but to feel a little nostalgic when I look at it, I guess. It isn't my favourite locale in the game, though. Dollet is.

My boyfriend loves Winhill for some reason, but I guess it's because he's from a big city. By contrast, I guess I like Dollet and Deling Cities (and Esthar) a lot as a result of living in a small town. >.>

Rinoa said:
IX had very cozy stuff, no sharp angles. One of my fave locales was a cozy bedroom in a castle somewhere. I can't remember where exactly, have to replay the game and haven't touched it since my first play when it came out.

Yeah, that's what I love about FFIX. I value small and cozy... and I think you're talking about this?

0743i17s.jpg

Aeana

It's too bad that the backgrounds don't actually look as nice in the games. Even if you're playing in 1:1 mode on a PSP screen, they're still blurrier when they're displayed in the games.

Rinoa

Looking at some of those Winhill pics remind me of the village and hamlets I used to go to for ice cream or fruit picking when I was little. Like, before all that stuff got modernized/the farms got sold off. I can't help but to feel a little nostalgic when I look at it, I guess. It isn't my favourite locale in the game, though. Dollet is.

My boyfriend loves Winhill for some reason, but I guess it's because he's from a big city. By contrast, I guess I like Dollet and Deling Cities (and Esthar) a lot as a result of living in a small town. >.>

Yeah, that's what I love about FFIX. I value small and cozy... and I think you're talking about this?

0743i17s.jpg

I live in a big city, but I like the European design aesthetic of Dollet, very deep and rich looking. Like it has history.

Yeah, that's the room!! So damn comfy looking, wish I could chill there lol.

You wouldn't happen to have a screen of the daguerro(sp?) library? That was another of my fave spots. I love libraries/books hehe

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I live in a big city, but I like the European design aesthetic of Dollet, very deep and rich looking. Like it has history.
Yeah, outside of Ottawa, I can't really think of a lot of cities around Ontario that has that sort of aesthetic. Toronto looks so modern in comparison to the older settlement cities. Quebec City is fantastic, though, given that it's one of the oldest cities in Canada and it looks pretty in the winter.

You wouldn't happen to have a screen of the daguerro(sp?) library? That was another of my fave spots. I love libraries/books hehe
Daguerreo was great. I was looking for screens, but I didn't find a lot.

The only screens I could find for the main portion of the town were either blurry, or had the name of the place (clearly taken from the French version).

So...
town entrance: blurry
town entrance: name of town shown from French version

6216rl68.jpg

620agb6m.jpg

619gozmj.jpg

rataven

The VII and IX screens bring back such fond memories. I can practically hear the town tunes playing along while looking at them.

Rinoa

Yeah, outside of Ottawa, I can't really think of a lot of cities around Ontario that has that sort of aesthetic. Toronto looks so modern in comparison to the older settlement cities. Quebec City is fantastic, though, given that it's one of the oldest cities in Canada and it looks pretty in the winter.

Daguerreo was great. I was looking for screens, but I didn't find a lot.

The only screens I could find for the main portion of the town were either blurry, or had the name of the place (clearly taken from the French version).

So...
town entrance: blurry
town entrance: name of town shown from French version

6216rl68.jpg

620agb6m.jpg

619gozmj.jpg

What added to my love for Daguerreo was the toned down music and water sound effect. The music alone isn't that great, but with the water and the idea of being in a library location like that.. it was like DREAM LIBRARY.

I hate "lets play" things but this is the only link that had the bgm as it's heard
http://youtu.be/dK2KYxXsR6Q?t=3m19s

Is that a Versus markup?

yea
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII

Xux

What the fuck is wrong with Versus? Just don't make games take this long to make after you've announced them, SE.

It's cool that they wanna flesh it out to be more of a game than a tech demo like FFXIII was but it's not fun following a game from idea to hoping the hardware can live up to the dream six years later.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How long is FFII and FFIII? I have the PSP and NDS version of each respectively. I was able to complete FFI in 15 hours.

Aeana

FF2 and FF3 are about 2-3x as long as FF1, I suppose? FF1 is a 4-5 hour game for me. FF2 is probably about 10. FF3 is about 12ish for me.
I know I'm much faster than most people at these games, though, so I'm not sure what else to say. :\

Tizoc

Damnit Schala, you made me shed nostalgia tears in my heart ;.;

EU PSN has a sale on FF games and I wanna pick up FF9, but seeing that PAL games run at 50 Hz; should I pick it up or get the US FF9?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wonder if we should make a "GAF Plays: The Final Fantasy Series" thread or something like that, kinda like the Zelda series thread from last year? That was pretty fun.

Tizoc said:
EU PSN has a sale on FF games and I wanna pick up FF9, but seeing that PAL games run at 50 Hz; should I pick it up or get the US FF9?
Is it possible to play the US FFIX PS1 game on a PAL PS3?

Tizoc

I wonder if we should make a "GAF Plays: The Final Fantasy Series" thread or something like that, kinda like the Zelda series thread from last year? That was pretty fun.

Is it possible to play the US FFIX PS1 game on a PAL PS3?

Yup; no matter what region your PS3 is, it should play any PSX game you get from any of the Stores. I've gotten Bloody Roar 2 off my friend's US account and it works =)
EDIT: I don't think the same applies to Disc PSX games though (I have Crash 2 US but I don't think it'll work on my EU PS3)

Andrefpvs

Guys, I'm this close to buying FF6 on PSN because the price is so good right now... is the port really that bad? Will it tarnish my first impression of FF6?

Roto13

Guys, I'm this close to buying FF6 on PSN because the price is so good right now... is the port really that bad? Will it tarnish my first impression of FF6?

It's not as bad as the Chrono Trigger port, but it's pretty bad, mostly because of the hard-coded load times. I wouldn't buy it, and I love FF VI. If you have a Wii, there's a perfect SNES version on Virtual Console you should totally buy though.

Andrefpvs

It's not as bad as the Chrono Trigger port, but it's pretty bad, mostly because of the hard-coded load times. I wouldn't buy it, and I love FF VI. If you have a Wii, there's a perfect SNES version on Virtual Console you should totally buy though.

Thanks. I don't have a Wii... my choices are between the PS1 and the GBA versions, and the PS1 version is much cheaper right now...

Apart from load times the PS1 version is the same as the SNES one, isn't it?

Roto13

Thanks. I don't have a Wii... my choices are between the PS1 and the GBA versions, and the PS1 version is much cheaper right now...

Apart from load times the PS1 version is the same as the SNES one, isn't it?

It also has two CGI scenes and a bestiary and a couple of other similar bonuses. Nothing substantial. (No new translation, no new dungeons or characters or anything like that.)

I thought the PS1 version was tolerable until I started using Espers and having to open the menu a lot more to switch them around so my characters could learn new spells.

I am currently playing through the Crystal Chronicles series. I don't have the GCN one here with me, so I'm playing the DS ones right now.

Ring of Fates sucks. Echoes of Time is much better judging from the first hour or so.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one bugged by the port of FF6 to the PS1. I would love to get a complete copy but it's gonna cost so much, ugh.

Top Bottom