• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

jaxword

Ignoring Genesis is ignoring like forty percent of the game. The inclusion of all the fanfiction characters in the Compilation is the main problem: they are a story that didn't need to be told and add nothing that the original game left unexplained.

I disagree, Lucretia was fleshed out. She was a messed up pile of neurosis and guilt, but she was more than just a body in a cave.

Also, Zack is one of the best characters they've made in a long time, so that balances out Red Sephiroth.

Natetan

Like I said, 7 is probably the one I've played the least. Finished it, and that was that. Now all I can recall about it is Punchie-gal's assets and the cat-thing. While I played 1 and 4 a little, the series didn't click for me until Mystic Quest and FF6. I can admit I was likely one of those "Dumb Westerners" that Mystic Quest was designed for. After playing and finishing it, I was able to go back an actually get somewhere in 4. Played the hell out of those. But 12 is my absolute pick for the best.

Speaking of - Hooked the ps2 up via component and 12 looks decent again. Takes a little bit to adjust to the jaggies, but its not godawful like it was with composite. Given when it was released, what was Square's excuse for not enabling progressive scan?

And its a shame that some games don't have the prelude theme at the title screen. A sure sign of inferiority there.

FFXII has amazing atmosphere. I can't get enough of the mid game. It's the first game that feels classy like vi did.

It's not a complete package at least as much as vi was. The early game is dumb and archaredias attempt at regional/global domination so the gods don't make our destiny just didn't make any sense. Also quickenings and summons seem totally optional when they could have been incorporated into the story a la vi/x

I really liked all of the characters that were developed in the game and the localization turns ear stinging cliche jrpg dialogue into something special. Even vaan and Penelo are tolerable (a lot more than his older brother and lord rasler anyway who were total pansy jrpg tropes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I didn't like Dirge's story, but then again, outside of Crisis Core's Zack-specific bits, I don't like the compilation's stories much at all. But we've had this discussion before.

Vanilla FFVII was just fine and balanced the silly with the not-so-silly better than the other compilation material that I've experienced. I didn't like Advent Children (or Complete), didn't like Dirge, didn't like the Genesis parts in Crisis Core, and I have no comments on Before Crisis since I've never played it.

This guy doesn't know about proper camera placement or how to style his hair.

oh god the voice acting make it stop oh man even vincent doesn't care

Dirge has Lucretia searching the Internet for stuff, like CHAOS CONTROL. Hojo realizes that he should have put Net Nanny on her computer.

TRzan.jpg

Behold! A SCIENTIST.

Cid thinks this game is dumb because those six dudes that SE thought were great villains for reasons unknown to me are doing things and the planet is just as stupid as Etro.

CID GETS IT.

This is how some people feel when they play/watch some of the Compilation stuff since they asked for it, and they feel some regret because SE really messed it up here:

This is the advice that SE should follow when it comes to FFVII's compilation and the Twilight Lightning Saga.

What kind of data plan does Vincent use?

Vincent's dad's name is Grimoire. No, he is not as cool as Grimoire Weiss. And who says that lifestream stuff when they're dying? No one! That's like saying, "I won't die, really. I'll come back reincarnated as a book or butterfly!"

You guys know I'm joking around when I do this, right? I don't take FF's stories or characters seriously most of the time. It makes things more enjoyable, really. Well, the cutscenes in Dirge aren't anything special since some of them are almost five minutes long and they aren't very good.

I liked base FFVII because a lot was left up to the player's interpretation. The compilation spoonfeeds you some stuff while creating new things which are generally left vague.

Oh god.

As a fellow 06 survivor, you have my sincerest condolences
I'm replaying the PS3 version. The definitive version. Longer load times, more framerate dips, it's probably buggier than the 360 version, it has no trophies, it looks bad, it feels bad... :lol

I got past this part so I should be doing Flame Core next in a bit. Sonic's story isn't long, it's just the mach speed sections which force you to die and animate in a stupid way when you're dying. I dread replaying the Silver Episode and the Last Episode more.

Unless my friend takes pity on me and prevents me from playing Last Episode. He was supposed to play either Homefront or Brink if he lost.

Gravijah

Dirge follows the absolute worst FFVII character.

FFXII makes me sad because it had so much potential but it just doesn't feel finished.

I think I'm going to name Eiko after Kagari in my FF9 playthrough.

Eiko is amazing, especially if you get Holy ASAP. it rips through enemies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A Barret sequel would've made sense. Trying to deal with his gun-arm while trying to live a normal life/going on a personal journey and forgetting all that WRO stuff. There probably would have been one type of gameplay instead of trying to mix a shooter with DMC, and you could keep the weapon customization from Dirge in there.

At least in that Way to a Smile novel, Barret kind of sees himself as a monster around other people so he looks for a gun-arm that could be modified into a ... prosthetic ha... maybe a Barret sequel would be just as troublesome as Dirge...

Regardless, he was one of the three original MCs of FF7, so it would have made more sense for him to have his own game rather than an optional character.

Edit: I want an FF5 sequel where you play as Faris and her crew of crazy pirates.

Mxrz

I really liked all of the characters that were developed in the game and the localization turns ear stinging cliche jrpg dialogue into something special. Even vaan and Penelo are tolerable (a lot more than his older brother and lord rasler anyway who were total pansy jrpg tropes.

I always enjoyed seeing Rasler killed off in the first two minutes. More games should consider doing that.

My dream intro for XV would be something like a mix of 12 and 4's, playable in real time.

I just beat Final Fantasy 2 today!

I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit. The stat leveling was interesting and the characters were charmingly simplistic. The only negative thing for me was how often the random battles happened. I mean MY GOD, sometimes it would be after 1-2 steps.

I played the PSP version and have no intention of completing the Soul of Rebirth. Once the credits role, I feel done haha. I replayed FF4 on the PSP and couldn't bring myself to finish the After Years.

Natetan

Soul of rebirth is fun! Can be tough as nails if you didn't prep your characters in the real game. I usually go to mysidia to get ice shields, power staffs, thief gloves,and knight armor for Minh wu and Josef to have equipped when they die. Then I make sure Richard had the sun blade and thunder spear both equipped when he dies. You can pick up the ancient sword in the mirror jade section to make some of the enemies easier.

The enemies at the beginning of the pandemonium section have excellent weapon/item drops. Just grind there a little and you're set.

Its pretty fun for bonus content! The other dungeons that use the secret words, that is some unecessarily complicated crap. It's not even really fun.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Never watch the anime sequel. It is worse than bad: it is boring.
Actually, I rented it from the video store a lot when I was little and I guess I thought it was good back then? I haven't seen it since the 1990s, but if my memory serves right, I might not like it much at all now.

What's GAF's opinion on the Dissidia games?
There was a short discussion a few pages back, actually.

Opinion still holds. I'll add that the story is laughable and doesn't appeal to me at all.
I think Dissidia's okay. I play both games a lot when they first came out, but I just didn't have the patience to keep playing and levelling people up. It's pure fanservice in the right way. And we get some Ishimoto arrangements out of it. I don't care for the story, but it's pretty cool to play with movesets.

Zidane's one of my favourite characters to use. Speed and aerials are my favourite battle styles in almost any game. Don't mind that some of his stuff was nerfed in Dissidia Duodecim. It took me a while to warm up to him because I thought I was going to use Terra all the time. Squall, Laguna, and Yuna are also fun to use. Laguna's fun when he's in the right arena, though.

I don't like using Cecil much, tbh. Kain was interesting to play as for a while, but I don't like his EX Modes or Bursts or how slow he is.

We need Final Fantasy Generations now.
Assists are, like, the best and worst things about Dissidia. They're good things because they add variety and makes combos lengthier. They're a bad thing because EX Mode gets shafted for it. Wait, on that note, Gabranth's pretty cool.

Plus Exdeath has Omniblock and all. People seem to love using him.

Noi

I've dumped about 400+ hours on both Dissidias combined, that should say what I think of them. :)

One my favorite series this gen.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
We already have plenty of Final Fantasy legacy masturbatory cashjobs for them to make another one that plays like Dynasty Warriors

re: Dissidia: played about 200 hours of the original, didn't even consider buying the sequel/prequel/ultra deluxe edition.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We already have plenty of Final Fantasy legacy masturbatory cashjobs for them to make another one that plays like Dynasty Warriors
Neither Dissidia nor Theatrhythm count in my mind. One feels like Advent Children-esque (ie: do some cool matrix aerial attack shit) fanfiction, while the other is merely a musical game which missed the boat hard with regards to parodying Dissidia.

Final Fantasy Dimensions might come close to being what I want in an FF game, but my phone is outdated (ie: it's not smart like those smartphones) and I sorta don't feel like investing in the devices that carry the game.

Noi said:
As long as it doesn't turn out like Soul Calibur Legends, I'd be all for this.
This game doesn't exist. I don't know what you're talking about.

UGH, I forgot that you can't copy games onto your PSP unless they're in that stupid bubble thing on the PS3. Now I have to download FF9 all over again even though I have it on my HDD. :|

DR2K

Banned
Uh I have Final Fantasy 7,8 and 9. But I don't know which one to replay. I have such fond memories of all 3.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I've watched an entire playthrough. Yes it's good, and yes it should be remade for better hardware than cellphones from 2005.

Who wouldn't want to play as the Turks?

Of course I'd like! I've seen a couple of videos back then but I never understood exactly what type of videogame was this one. Is this a classic jRPG with worldmap, exploration, equipping and levelling or more like an action title with stages?

Gravijah

Of course I'd like! I've seen a couple of videos back then but I never understood exactly what type of videogame was this one. Is this a classic jRPG with worldmap, exploration, equipping and levelling or more like an action title with stages?

you are the Turks and you do Turkish things.

jaxword

It mainly plays like a top-down game, like the original NES Zelda or the Mana series. Characters move in 4 angles and you swing/shoot in that direction.

Battles play a bit like Legend of Mana for the PSX. Some battles take place in a wide screen, others in more enclosed places. It's action, not menu-based.

There are some rpg elements like leveling and equipment and exploring various FF7 locales.

Coldsnap

I just started playing Final Fantasy 6 for the first time. I don't think I've completed any SNES Final Fantasy games.. Any tips? Please no spoilers.. (I will not be using a guide)

Mario007

No... not sure if I want to either. Between him and Kitase they're always side-stepping answers.

I just thought it'd be interesting to see if they heard the complaints about the story from FF XIII-2 this time around. They seemed pretty receptive to complaints from FF XIII so since the biggest flaw of FF XIII-2 was the story it'd be hilarious if they completely ignore it.

Also it'd be interesting to see how the would defend the fall in the sales between FF XIII and its sequel and yet another project in the FF XIII universe.

Not to derail the thread, but who do you actually like the best for interviewing from S-E, apart from Yoshi-P of course? (Not sure if you can actually answer this...so if you can't completely disregard it)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I just thought it'd be interesting to see if they heard the complaints about the story from FF XIII-2 this time around. They seemed pretty receptive to complaints from FF XIII so since the biggest flaw of FF XIII-2 was the story it'd be hilarious if they completely ignore it.

Also it'd be interesting to see how the would defend the fall in the sales between FF XIII and its sequel and yet another project in the FF XIII universe.

Not to derail the thread, but who do you actually like the best for interviewing from S-E, apart from Yoshi-P of course? (Not sure if you can actually answer this...so if you can't completely disregard it)

People complained about story/characters in XIII and they didn't change it. I think Toriyama is too proud of his own work.

As for who do I like to interview, I've also interviewed Takehiro Ando, Yoshihisa Hashimoto and Tai Yasue - all of which are stand out people.

Mario007

People complained about story/characters in XIII and they didn't change it. I think Toriyama is too proud of his own work.

As for who do I like to interview, I've also interviewed Takehiro Ando, Yoshihisa Hashimoto and Tai Yasue - all of which are stand out people.

Yeah you're right. It's kinda weird how he even openly disagreed with Wada about the quality of recent FF entries being sub-par. Wonder if Wada will reign him in, somehow. I don't actually think Toriyama will be doing the next FF XIII project, especially since Toriyama basically said he was moving onto something new after FF XIII-2 was released and Kitase said that the FF XIII project got only recently up and running.

Coolio, will have to check out those interviews. I presume I can find them at RPGSite?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah you're right. It's kinda weird how he even openly disagreed with Wada about the quality of recent FF entries being sub-par. Wonder if Wada will reign him in, somehow. I don't actually think Toriyama will be doing the next FF XIII project, especially since Toriyama basically said he was moving onto something new after FF XIII-2 was released and Kitase said that the FF XIII project got only recently up and running.

Coolio, will have to check out those interviews. I presume I can find them at RPGSite?

Yeah, they're all on RPG Site.

As for 13-3... I think there's no doubt Toriyama is leading it again. He seems to be the only one at SE who likes that world/characters just based on things I've heard/been asked by various people in the company.

In interviews after XIII-2's release, you'll notice he's never once commented on fan/reviewer reception to the story.

Top Bottom