• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Mxrz

If there's no mention of 15 at their show thingy or TGS, I'll be a bit annoyed. The director of 9 and 12 is suppose to still be there working on something, right?

jaxword

If there's no mention of 15 at their show thingy or TGS, I'll be a bit annoyed. The director of 9 and 12 is suppose to still be there working on something, right?

Yeah, Hiroyuki Ito is still around, but it's not publicly known what he's doing. Maybe it's 15.

Mario007

My top 3. XV better be godlike. 12 was so close to being the perfect FF for me.

I felt 12 was a brilliant game but was missing an interesting story for the characters. Aside from Balthier you really had no one in the party that would be involved in the overall plot even though Ashe was the princess and Bash had a few moments. It certainly wasn't as in 9 where the characters seem unimportant for a good while but the opposite is true.

I'd actually love Ito tackle FNC with his medieval style final fantasy. The mythology could fit in nicely there.

Mxrz

I always thought Vaan was one of the best FF protagonist. All he really lacked was telling Balthier and Basch stuff it, and doing a 'hail to the king' moment with Ashe.

Damn, I really want to replay FF12. I need to order some ps2 component cables.

Rinoa

Had a bridal shower last weekend and my friends made this hilarious card out of an engagement shoot photo, it looks and feels like a manual!

487240_10151167760842652_1122781472_n.jpg

The reference to "game over" is because I wanted to put Squall's sword and feathers on the top of the cake, and Deacon was like "nooo that looks like game over!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0efyGLcaCX0

jaxword

I felt 12 was a brilliant game but was missing an interesting story for the characters. Aside from Balthier you really had no one in the party that would be involved in the overall plot even though Ashe was the princess and Bash had a few moments. It certainly wasn't as in 9 where the characters seem unimportant for a good while but the opposite is true.

FF12 was an amazing, brilliantly designed game. A work of art.

However, it had substantial flaws that took it down from its peak.

To put it another way, FFX is a good game. It has good parts, and bad parts, but on the whole it never truly reaches the peaks and valleys of terribleness and amazingness.

FF12 reaches some incredible peaks--the FMV battles are mindblowing, the depth of the world is amazing, and the characters (Well, Balthier, Fran and Basche) are all clearly defined and motivated. And the music, the music. It's not catchy like SNES jingles, but it definitely gets the world-exploration theme across.

Then come the flaws. The horrible pacing. The forced characterization. The CLEAR disconnect when Matsuno was forced away. The unpolished Gambit board. It needed another year of playtesting at least, and a hell of a lot less executive meddling.

If any internet billionaires are reading this, please fund a "Full Director's Cut" of FF12 so Matsuno can finish what he started.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
FFXII is a weird one, it is a brave game that I have a great deal of respect for. There is just something about the aesthetics and feel of the world that make playing it quite dull.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Had a bridal shower last weekend and my friends made this hilarious card out of an engagement shoot photo, it looks and feels like a manual!

The reference to "game over" is because I wanted to put Squall's sword and feathers on the top of the cake, and Deacon was like "nooo that looks like game over!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0efyGLcaCX0
Wow, that's really awesome and creative! (Hey, as long as the sword isn't busted, you can get away with putting feathers and the sword on there. :p)

Congratulations! :D

Rinoa

Thanks!

Yep, it would be with a fixed sword from one of his Squall figurines, pretty random that we like the same FF characters and game. Game gets a ton of hate, and there are often people who like one but not the other of the two characters.

What does everyone think of this FF7 French book?
http://www.editionspixnlove.com/Tous-nos-ouvrages/Final-Fantasy-VII-RPG-Collection/flypage.tpl.html

At first I wanted to see it for new insights, but after looking at the description I'm highly suspicious of its contents being old fan translations just put into French w/o acknowledgement.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I've been going back and playing bits and pieces of my favorite Final Fantasys and I realize that there is a connection - sometimes - between many of them. I realize that the stories in Final Fantasys aren't masterpieces, however, it's a disservice to say that they aren't great. I sort of want to tell my favorite narrative aspects of each of the FF. Please share yours! It can be a scene, a theme, the storytelling, maybe even just the story. What about it makes you love it so much!

I'll just list my top 2 for now.

Final Fantasy VIII - I really like the love story and how they are interconnected. Like Laguna and his two loves and how that connects with Leon's

Final Fantasy X - The entire story was full of dreams and narrated as a Flashback.

Labadal

I like all the comedy in FFVI & IX despite the serious scenarios and I want some of that comedy to be brought back to the series. Question is if today's Square could pull it off.

Noi

I love how absurd nearly every plot point in Final Fantasy V is. Like there are silly aspects to nearly every game, but FFV takes the cake with the amount of cheese in the plot. Off the top of my head:

- The scene were Bartz & Co. just assume
Galuf is dead and decide to ditch him within a time frame of 5-10 seconds, with the person in questioning listening in disbelief.

-
The main antagonist? A tree that had gained sentience from evil spirits/demons sealed into it. He also avoids death at one point by turning into a thorn and sticking into Faris' hand, though that's just as silly as Golbez surviving from just a hand in FFIV I guess.

-
Sage Ghido is a turtle sage that's lived for hundreds of years, and can go toe to toe with Exdeath. Also, both of them know what pizza is and Exdeath may or may not have had some in his lifetime.

-
Gilgamesh, as lovable as he is, is probably the most useless minion in the series. I have no idea why Exdeath even kept him around, though we never see what Gilgamesh does before the party arrived in World 2.

- ALL OF THE PUNS.

- Boko goes home and becomes a family man.

Rinoa

Question is if today's Square could pull it off.

I think the comedy left when the Gooch did, the last time I laughed was FFX and a few FFXI taru related cutscenes. Now comedy is left to silliness in battle or slapstick/cutesy things that are supposed to be funny and yet nobody is laughing.

I love how absurd nearly every plot point in Final Fantasy V is. Like there are silly aspects to nearly every game, but FFV takes the cake with the amount of cheese in the plot.
V can be such a breath of fresh air sometimes; compared to the rest of the FF games (and especially coming right after IV) it just doesn't take itself that seriously. I love that Bartz is kind of a bumbling idiot and the game knows it and makes fun of him for it.

Mario007

I've been going back and playing bits and pieces of my favorite Final Fantasys and I realize that there is a connection - sometimes - between many of them. I realize that the stories in Final Fantasys aren't masterpieces, however, it's a disservice to say that they aren't great. I sort of want to tell my favorite narrative aspects of each of the FF. Please share yours! It can be a scene, a theme, the storytelling, maybe even just the story. What about it makes you love it so much!

Final Fantasy VIII - I really like the love story and how they are interconnected. Like Laguna and his two loves and how that connects with Leon's

Final Fantasy X - The entire story was full of dreams and narrated as a Flashback.

That's Squall, dammit! If I can fault Nomura with one thing, I'd be changing Squall's name to Leon in KH and legions of fans who embraced this change.

I like all the comedy in FFVI & IX despite the serious scenarios and I want some of that comedy to be brought back to the series. Question is if today's Square could pull it off.

FFXIII-2 has some pretty funny bits (like when Noel asks Serah about Snow) and Noel is a nice jerk, in the funny way, to Mog. Brother in X-2 was pretty hysterical. Oh and also scenes with Sazh in XIII were simply a delight, to be honest. So yeah Square can still pull it off.

One thing I do miss in the modern FF games (ie XII and XIII) is romance. Pretty much all the previous FFs I've played before had a very well crafted or at least very meaningful romance element that helped both with the character motivations and the with the pacing of the story.

jaxword

Liked this one so much the main character's name changed to the KH version?

Mxrz

Broke down and ordered some cheapo PS2 component cables to feed my FF12 cravings. The game just looks too awful over composite. Thought of ordering the Zodaic version but the price is a little off putting cheaper to wait for a HD port. - But did they say whether FFX HD is going to be of the international version with all the extras?

- random question if anyone has played it, is White Knight 2's gameplay really similar to FF12? That's really all I want these days it seems. The mute button can handle the rest if need be.

Noi

Other than the fact that it exists and it's an HD remaster, not a remake, we don't know anything about it. Would be pretty dumb to not have the International content anyway.

I just want to let everyone know that after about 8 attempts...

I FINALLY beat Final Fantasy Tactics. After spending so much time getting myself used to the battle system, I can't believe it's over. I can't believe how easy the last chapter in the game is, though there were some really challenging battles throughout the game. I don't think I had to re-do any battle in the 4th chapter.

I'm now playing through FFII for the first time (anniversary PSP edition)

Labadal

I FINALLY beat Final Fantasy Tactics. After spending so much time getting myself used to the battle system, I can't believe it's over. I can't believe how easy the last chapter in the game is, though there were some really challenging battles throughout the game. I don't think I had to re-do any battle in the 4th chapter.

I'm now playing through FFII for the first time (anniversary PSP edition)

Once you get a certain character in your party, the game is more or less a walk in the park. Still glad to see more people beat it. I love the game.

I love how absurd nearly every plot point in Final Fantasy V is. Like there are silly aspects to nearly every game, but FFV takes the cake with the amount of cheese in the plot. Off the top of my head:

- The scene were Bartz & Co. just assume
Galuf is dead and decide to ditch him within a time frame of 5-10 seconds, with the person in questioning listening in disbelief.

-
The main antagonist? A tree that had gained sentience from evil spirits/demons sealed into it. He also avoids death at one point by turning into a thorn and sticking into Faris' hand, though that's just as silly as Golbez surviving from just a hand in FFIV I guess.

-
Sage Ghido is a turtle sage that's lived for hundreds of years, and can go toe to toe with Exdeath. Also, both of them know what pizza is and Exdeath may or may not have had some in his lifetime.

-
Gilgamesh, as lovable as he is, is probably the most useless minion in the series. I have no idea why Exdeath even kept him around, though we never see what Gilgamesh does before the party arrived in World 2.

- ALL OF THE PUNS.

- Boko goes home and becomes a family man.

Exdeath is one of the series lamest villains I can tell you that.

jaxword

Hope the ending made sense, many people misinterpreted it.

jaxword

I didn't really understand what happened with Delita and Ovelia. I believe that Ramza and Alma actually made it out alive?

Delita lived a long and fruitful life--this is said in the opening.

He killed Ovelia after she stabbed him, possibly in the heat of the moment. So now he has absolutely no friends or family or loved ones but is the King.

Ramza, on the other hand, has nothing, no name, royalty, or fame/money, and has to spend the rest of his life hiding in exile from the church.

However, he has his sister (and theoretically any surviving teammates). So he's not alone.

Delita's final question is about who truly won...

Natetan

Once you get a certain character in your party, the game is more or less a walk in the park. Still glad to see more people beat it. I love the game.

I live fft but this really is the worst part of the game. Chapter iii is too difficult compared to chapter iv.

Delita lived a long and fruitful life--this is said in the opening.

He killed Ovelia after she stabbed him, possibly in the heat of the moment. So now he has absolutely no friends or family or loved ones but is the King.

Ramza, on the other hand, has nothing, no name, royalty, or fame/money, and has to spend the rest of his life hiding in exile from the church.

However, he has his sister (and theoretically any surviving teammates). So he's not alone.

Delita's final question is about who truly won...

Wow, didn't think about it like that. You just blew my mind!

Mxrz

To this day, FF7 is the one main title I've played the least. I'm not entirely sure why but I never could bring myself to replay it. I don't remember disliking the game itself, but all the hype, spinoffs and general weirdness might've been a part.

13-2 has a love story? Bleh. Back to the end of the backlog it goes.

I couldn't bring myself to finish XIII-2. I got really lost and confused as to what to do next, and the possibilities of what to do next (i.e. closing, unlocking gates, etc.) overwhelmed to the point that I just stopped playing. I'll need to go back and finish it at some point.

Currently playing FF2 on the PSP. Not sure how far I am, but I'm enjoying it. The 'leveling' up system is interesting, but it seems pretty easy so far.

Natetan

I couldn't bring myself to finish XIII-2. I got really lost and confused as to what to do next, and the possibilities of what to do next (i.e. closing, unlocking gates, etc.) overwhelmed to the point that I just stopped playing. I'll need to go back and finish it at some point.

Currently playing FF2 on the PSP. Not sure how far I am, but I'm enjoying it. The 'leveling' up system is interesting, but it seems pretty easy so far.

I'm going through III atm after playing II and i actually miss it. II is like VIII in that the battle system seems retarded, but once you figure it out it can be really fun to exploit.

I'm going through III atm after playing II and i actually miss it. II is like VIII in that the battle system seems retarded, but once you figure it out it can be really fun to exploit.

Yeah, I am kind of enjoying the stat leveling. I exploited the hell out of FFVIII's system haha.

Some of my stats are way out of whack though. For example, Firion has an agility of 91 while Guy's is 5 :/

Natetan

I was watching a Lets Play of FFXII last night.

I really think Vayne is one of my favorite villans. I love how calm and indirectly evil he is. The way he says things i so subtle. How he makes his will seem to be the only course for action.

frequency

the FFXIII minimap is terrible. terrible. terrible. terrible. terrible.
You're terrible!

compared to any other subject in video games?

Video games have great writing that fits the presentation. They are not book or movie so stop comparing them to such things.
"This stupid poem is not as detailed or clear as a film! Poems suck! This song is not as well written as a book! It is trying to follow a rhythm and match a beat! Songs suck! This video game is terrible. It is written in a way that you can interact and play it! Video game stories suck!"

They're never well written, or I can't think of any well written love story in video games.

You're never well written!

I enjoy them a lot.

Top Bottom