• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Labadal

You're terrible!

Video games have great writing that fits the presentation. It's not a book or a movie so stop comparing them to such things.
"This stupid poem isn't as detailed or clear as a film! Poems suck! This song is not as well written as a book! It is trying to follow a rhythm and match a beat! Songs suck! This video game is terrible. It is written in a way that you can interact and play it! Video game stories suck!"

You're never well written!

I enjoy them a lot.

Hmmm, I withdraw my most inappropriate comment, especially in light of your recent assertion of dominance and physical superiority in this soical situation.

0.jpg

So ultimate question, do we agree Gaf?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They're never well written, or I can't think of any well written love story in video games.
Fully agree.

Maybe Valkyria Chronicles and the Genso Suikoden III backstory romance between the Flame Champion and another character come close, but that's about it. There's usually something wrong with it: partners lack chemistry, getting together with little adequate development, plausibility of getting together, etc.

That isn't my favourite game or theoretically what I think is the best game ever. >.>

jaxword

0.jpg

The consensus in the usual VOTE FOR YOUR FF threads seems to rotate between 6 and 7. I think it honestly depends on the age range, if you played FF6 when you were hitting puberty it spoke to you, whereas if you were a bit younger then 7 spoke to you when teen years hit. Remember, nostalgia fuels favoritism, not quality.

Curiously enough, though, on other sites the numbers change slightly. 7 wins on gamefaqs, but I think 9 gets the highest metacritic ratings, somehow.

X is usually about 3rd in most of these polls too, meaning it's always the second/third best regardless of what's the first.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's not necessarily the age range when you first play something (like, considering that, FF4 and FF7 would be my favourites of the forever but they aren't), but it certainly does factor into it from a general standpoint.

Though I have to ask whether or not people who vote for some of these games have played it recently and what their thoughts are about the game beyond rose-coloured glasses. Looking at the latest GAF votes thread, some people didn't really list out their reasoning. For some, it was their first Japanese RPG or RPG in general, so that's why they loved it due to its introduction to the genre or subgenre, or the series.

Edit: looking at that thread reminded me that I ended up writing this tirade in this thread as a result...

jaxword

It's not necessarily the age range when you first play something (like, considering that, FF4 and FF7 would be my favourites of the forever but they aren't), but it certainly does factor into it from a general standpoint.

Though I have to ask whether or not people who vote for some of these games have played it recently and what their thoughts are about the game beyond rose-coloured glasses. Looking at the latest GAF votes thread, some people didn't really list out their reasoning. For some, it was their first Japanese RPG or RPG in general, so that's why they loved it due to its introduction to the genre or subgenre, or the series.

Edit: looking at that thread reminded me that I ended up writing this tirade in this thread as a result...

What's also interesting is that FF2 *IS* objectively the worst FF. FF14 I don't even count and no one else does either.

This means all those people that rant and rant and whine about how FF13, FFx-2, FF12, etc. are the WORST FF EVER and ALL THE FANS HATE THEM are...wrong.

FF2 really is the worst FF, by both sales AND fan opinions.

I think people just hear MORE complains about the newer FFs and this bolsters their argument that their opinion is obviously right since they have such an echo chamber.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But... I like FF2...

:(

I think part of the reason is because perhaps some people haven't played FF2 due to its age or through bad word-of-mouth, while FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXII, etc. are more accessible because they're more recent, and thus more people have a chance to play it and rate it.

At least, going by this thread, anyway.

Ultratech

But... I like FF2...

:(

I think part of the reason is because perhaps some people haven't played FF2 due to its age or through bad word-of-mouth, while FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXII, etc. are more accessible because they're more recent, and thus more people have a chance to play it and rate it.

At least, going by this thread, anyway.

Well, that and the mechanics are decidedly different than the other FF games.

I can understand why'd it'd be so low though. The original can be pretty rough, though the remakes have made it much more accessible to get into. But there's probably other reasons as well. as mentioned.

I'm a fan of FF2 as well, since finding out how everything works in that game is pretty interesting.

Noi

I'm part of the handful of people that had never played FF6 to completion until this year. The furthest I'd ever gotten in the game was right after the banquet scene with Emperor Gesthal. I got coerced to finally beating it earlier this year, and while I can see why people adore it so much, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way a lot of times, particularly when it came to the "dungeons." I seriously hated that 90% of the places you had to go to where either caves, mountains or just shitty areas like Zozo. Even getting eaten by a giant worm puts you in a cave dungeon instead of anything resembling a creature's insides. It makes areas like the Doom Train and Magitek Factory stand out more, but the game needed more of those and less of everything else. I'm glad to finally have put the game down and can form my own opinion of it, but I wouldn't be willing to go back and replay it anytime soon.

Most of the other games I enjoy greatly though. Then again, I'm the oddball that would opt to replay FF1 NES instead of one of the "better" games in the series.

Edit: I've never clicked with FF2 either, and it's the other FF I haven't yet beaten. I just dislike some of the game's design overall more so than the battle system, and there's quirks here and there like the pointless amount of empty rooms that bother me.

jaxword

I'm on the the handful people that had never played FF6 to completion. The furthest I'd ever gotten in the game was right after the banquet scene with Emperor Gesthal. I got coerced to finally beating it earlier this year, and while I can see why people adore it so much, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way a lot of times, particularly when it came to the "dungeons." I seriously hated that 90% of the places you had to go to where either caves, mountains or just shitty areas like Zozo. Even getting eaten by a giant worm puts you in a cave dungeon instead of anything resembling a creature's insides. I'm glad to finally have put the game down and can form my own opinion of it, but I wouldn't be willing to go back and replay it anytime soon.

A friend of mine and I played FF6 for the first time together as kids.

When we got to the opera scene, I thought it was amazing something that awe inspiring and dramatic would be in a video game.

He thought the synthy voices sounded embarrassingly bad and it was a boring, pretentious waste of gametime (it DOES total like 30 mins).

It's all about your expectations.

Noi

A friend of mine and I played FF6 for the first time together as kids.

When we got to the opera scene, I thought it was amazing something that awe inspiring and dramatic would be in a video game.

He thought the synthy voices sounded embarrassingly bad and it was a boring, pretentious waste of gametime (it DOES total like 30 mins).

It's all about your expectations.

Oh, I thought the actual scenarios for the game were great, no complaints there. I just never really liked actually playing the game due to the aforementioned reasons. At one point I started counting how many caves the game was going to make me go through, but soon gave up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
When I was a kid and tried to play FF6 for the first time, I hated it. I hated it so much that I stopped playing it after the third day and returned it to the video store and rented Soul Blazer instead. :lol

I didn't finish FF6 until I was 15 or so. Now I like it in terms of overall presentation and the lead characters (ie: mostly Locke, Sabin, and Edgar; and I feel like Celes is one of the better female FF leads in the series). FF7's Materia customization took the Esper/blank slate customization further in a direction that I preferred.

I think nostalgia plays an extremely important role on one's opinions of a game. VII was my first Final Fantasy, and I played it when I was in middle school. It absolutely blew me away. I figured the whole game would take place in Midgar and you would eventually take on Shinra, but leaving the city and realizing there was a whole world to explore was amazing.

Now I can look back on the game a little more objectively and see the flaws of the game; I don't think it's the best game ever but it holds, and always will, a special place for me. I played VI when Anthology came out and wasn't all that impressed but I've been meaning to give it another go. I just wish I had the GBA version, dammit.

rataven

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ov0cpOhRAYM/0.jpg

While I think BEST GAME EVA is a silly distinction for any game, FF or otherwise, VII is my favorite Final Fantasy, for sure.

VI never struck a cord with me. Played it in 1994, moved on, and didn't look back. I'll never get the love for it, but every FF has it's fanbase. VI's just seems so internet hip. Most of my real life friends prefer other FFs with more interesting battle or character customization systems (like V, VII, X, XII).

Mario007

Me too, but XIII-2 had actually a pretty cool love story behind the main villain. I also think Type-0 features one too.

Yeah I actually really enjoyed the Caius-Noel-Yuel chemistry. Which is why I miss this sort of thing the in the recent FFs. And that's also another reason why I'm looking forward to Versus.

13-2 has a love story? Bleh. Back to the end of the backlog it goes.

The way you're introduced to it in the game is kinda like at the point when (FFX spoilers)
Tidus found out Yuna must die to kill Sin and so he's there doing anything he can to prevent it
. So it's not fully developed but rather used as a connection between characters.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I always thought that relationship was more like philia/Metta love than eros love. Perhaps even approaching familial love since they all seemed to live with each other in terms of being a family.

Natetan

VI, VII, and II are all my favorites actually. II would be 0.01 points below if I had to choose.

All three of those games are either fun to play or left an emotional impact in me.

it's not my fault that it follows you! you end up getting confused and lose your bearings on where the heck you were going after a battle.
Spend enough time hunting down Cie'th stone missions/farming turtles for Platinum Ingots, and you won't need the mini map at all to get your bearings. :p

yeah, FF6 & FF7 are quite mid tier when it comes to Final Fantasy games.
Wow, someone who shares the same opinion as me re: VI and VII! O_O

I always feel like such an oddball when it comes to favorite FF games since, generally speaking, I tend to like each one more than the last - making VI/VII middle of the pack for me and XIII my favorite. I definitely agree that nostalgia plays a huge role when it comes to identifying our "favorite" games, but for whatever weird reason it doesn't really seem to affect how I personally evaluate the FF franchise. /shrug

The consensus in the usual VOTE FOR YOUR FF threads seems to rotate between 6 and 7. I think it honestly depends on the age range, if you played FF6 when you were hitting puberty it spoke to you, whereas if you were a bit younger then 7 spoke to you when teen years hit. Remember, nostalgia fuels favoritism, not quality.

Curiously enough, though, on other sites the numbers change slightly. 7 wins on gamefaqs, but I think 9 gets the highest metacritic ratings, somehow.

X is usually about 3rd in most of these polls too, meaning it's always the second/third best regardless of what's the first.

There seems to be a lot of hate between FF6 and FF7 fans, it always amuses me when I see arguments like "Kefka is more badass than mamas boy Sephiroth" lol.

Shadow780

VI is the most overrated FF ever and became the front runner for hating on VII, IX? boring as fuck.

VIII and VII are better than them.

Natetan

There seems to be a lot of hate between FF6 and FF7 fans, it always amuses me when I see arguments like "Kefka is more badass than mamas boy Sephiroth" lol.

Which is stupid really, they are both very good games. The peak of square output in my mind. VI was on the way up, VII was on the way down. No coincidence FFT was released around then :)

I can't even really rank them anymore, there's just a like and don't like pile.

I dont like III, VIII, IX. Although VIII seems fun just because of all the semi sequence breaking or early items you can get from messing with the junction system. Everything else about it rubs me the wrong way.

All the other ones I really enjoy. Ive never played XI or XIII but i tend to think they fall in the don't like pile.

Mxrz

Like I said, 7 is probably the one I've played the least. Finished it, and that was that. Now all I can recall about it is Punchie-gal's assets and the cat-thing. While I played 1 and 4 a little, the series didn't click for me until Mystic Quest and FF6. I can admit I was likely one of those "Dumb Westerners" that Mystic Quest was designed for. After playing and finishing it, I was able to go back an actually get somewhere in 4. Played the hell out of those. But 12 is my absolute pick for the best.

Speaking of - Hooked the ps2 up via component and 12 looks decent again. Takes a little bit to adjust to the jaggies, but its not godawful like it was with composite. Given when it was released, what was Square's excuse for not enabling progressive scan?

And its a shame that some games don't have the prelude theme at the title screen. A sure sign of inferiority there.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pfft. I like Mystic Quest. No one should feel bad about liking Mystic Quest. Plus it's super-fun to poke fun at the story because it's hilarious and not one single character in that game cares about anything that's going on.

The soundtrack is awesome. I remember renting it from the video store, getting to Doom Castle (like, the first time where you have to get the Aero spell) and being floored because of the music.

Sasai should take a bow.

Natetan said:
I can't even really rank them anymore, there's just a like and don't like pile.
I feel the same way when pressed to rank them because it's just difficult to do so. There's usually something I like about every one. I may be critical with some of them (ex: FFIV, FFVIII (apparently), FFXIII, FFXIII-2, etc), but there's some stuff I like about those ones. A few of those are sorta lower on the spectrum leaning towards average, but they're not terribad, broken-as-hell, unplayable pieces of garbage.

As for Dirge or FFXIV 1.0, those sucked. Dirge suffers from an identity crisis, and FFXIV 1.0 was well, you know.

Noi

I have a guilty pleasure for Dirge. I'm well aware that it's incredibly mediocre, but I still kinda like the idea behind it... even if it'd take a huge effort to get me to play it again.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noi said:
I have a guilty pleasure for Dirge. I'm well aware that it's incredibly mediocre, but I still kinda like the idea behind it... even if it'd take a huge effort to get me to play it again.
I can't do it again.

They made me think less of the extra FF7 characters, introduced an underground society because drama is a thing and I don't care, had poor pacing and awkward controls, couldn't decide if it wanted to be a shooter or Devil May Cry...

Where does Cait Sith hail from? Why does he have a Scottish accent? There's no Scotland in FF7, and everyone speaks with an American accent!

Vincent can block bullets with this in cutscenes but not in-game:

if i click R3 (iirc) it's like i'm playing a ps1 shooter:

Vincent has a melee attack. Don't bother using it because enemies will attack you from further away then up close. And if they are attacking you up-close, it's better to shoot them instead. Trust me.

Vincent gets some missions where he needs to save fleeing citizens from crazy shooting guys. But those shooting guys don't care about Vincent. They wanna shoot the people running down the street instead because they know about Vincent's tendency to sleep in coffins so they think he's already dead.

Oh, and sometimes deaths are scripted but the game doesn't tell you that so you don't know if you should restart or not.

Limit Breakers are less cool than Devil Triggers.

You have characters who are more irritating than ever because they're a shoddy attempt at comic relief as well. Case in point:

And So. Many. Cutscenes. OMG. It's like I was watching the game more than playing.

And I've played Red Seeds Profile, though to be fair, I liked the story and characters in that one even if it was ridiculously insane.

I would do a joke playthrough of it for the anniversary thread, but I'm currently playing another terrible game. Plus, uh, I'd sooner play that other particular game than run through Dirge again (hell, I'm doing it this week!). Nah, I wouldn't play either of my own volition.

Noi

Like I said, already aware that it's terrible. I saw the warning signs really early when I chose to play it on Hard mode in my very first playthrough, but all the enemies were dying in one hit. About an hour later, I'm getting my pass kicked by guys on floating motorcycles. Difficulty was all over the place.

I can find SOME fun with the actual gameplay, but I skipped all the cuteness on my last run a few years back. Those I can agree are just awful, lol.

I would do a joke playthrough of it for the anniversary thread, but I'm currently playing another terrible game. Plus, uh, I'd sooner play that other particular game than run through Dirge again (hell, I'm doing it this week!). Nah, I wouldn't play either of my own volition.

*peeks into anniversary thread*

It's... not FF4 is it? That's not NEARLY as awful to play as Dirge!

jaxword

What's sad about Dirge is that it has all the pieces to be great. Music, art, gameplay, storyline, they're all there, like ingredients for a great cake.

Yet the finished product is inedible.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What's sad about Dirge is that it has all the pieces to be great. Music, art, gameplay, storyline, they're all there, like ingredients for a cake.

Yet the finished product is inedible.
No storyline in the FFVII Compilation deserves to applauded.

It's, like, remember how Chrono Cross shat on all your favourite Chrono Trigger's characters? It's like that minus
the murders

Noi

No storyline in the FFVII Compilation deserves to applauded.

It's, like, remember how Chrono Cross shat on all your favourite Chrono Trigger's characters? It's like that minus
the murders

Was there anything particularly offensive about Crisis Core (excluding everything involving Genesis, whose a terrible character)? I haven't played it in a long while, but it stars my favorite FF character so I probably blocked out anything negative about it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Like I said, already aware that it's terrible. I saw the warning signs really early when I chose to play it on Hard mode in my very first playthrough, but all the enemies were dying in one hit. About an hour later, I'm getting my pass kicked by guys on floating motorcycles. Difficulty was all over the place.

I can find SOME fun with the actual gameplay, but I skipped all the cuteness on my last run a few years back. Those I can agree are just awful, lol.
Oh no, I was just talking about the reasons why I personally can't play the game again, lol. Yeah, that's another thing. The difficulty/scaling/balancing in that game was weird, no matter the difficulty. At least the customization system was something they seemed to put effort into...

So you skipped all 215 or so cutscenes, huh? Might be more, I forgot. :lol I stopped keeping track because man I felt like I was watching a movie half of the time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Was there anything particularly offensive about Crisis Core (excluding everything involving Genesis, whose a terrible character)? I haven't played it in a long while, but it stars my favorite FF character so I probably blocked out anything negative about it.
Ignoring Genesis is ignoring like forty percent of the game. The inclusion of all the fanfiction characters in the Compilation is the main problem: they are a story that didn't need to be told and add nothing that the original game left unexplained.

Top Bottom