• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Mxrz

I thought I'd read about it breaking 2 million recently. Game didn't exactly launch with good word of mouth did it?

Not so crazy about X HD after giving it some thought. Game just seems like it would be tedious these days. Jumping 200 Lightning bolts, butterflies, etc. are not things I'd want to do again.

Exentryk

I thought I'd read about it breaking 2 million recently. Game didn't exactly launch with good word of mouth did it?

Not so crazy about X HD after giving it some thought. Game just seems like it would be tedious these days. Jumping 200 Lightning bolts, butterflies, etc. are not things I'd want to do again.

I can't wait to play it again. Getting all the best armors and weapons, beating the Dark Aeons and Penance, maxing out the sphere grid and just experiencing the story again. It's gonna a big time sink ;]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I see you've finally accepted the truth.

I still have hopes for his game, of course. But given the amount of time it's been since they've last shown it... yeah, it's irritating. Who would have imagined back in 2006 that SE would have the development problems they still have now.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Maybe if they put some work into this, they could change some of this stuff or at least make it easier/more enjoyable.
But for me to be actually excited about the game, they should finally show something, anything, of it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Decided to play FFVIII again, just started the train section.

It still amazes me to this day how much of a graphical leap over FFVII VIII is. Squaresoft really knew how to get the most out of the PS1 back in the day - and later would do the same with FFXII on PS2.

jaxword

I figure this would be the best thread on gaf, if not the internet, to find this:

Anyone have a gif of the Tifa / Scarlet slap fight?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I figure this would be the best thread on gaf, if not the internet, to find this:

Anyone have a gif of the Tifa / Scarlet slap fight?

Took me 2 seconds using Google:

tifa-and-scarlet-slapfight-o.gif

Natetan

Decided to play FFVIII again, just started the train section.

It still amazes me to this day how much of a graphical leap over FFVII VIII is. Squaresoft really knew how to get the most out of the PS1 back in the day - and later would do the same with FFXII on PS2.

Other than the character models it doesn't seem that different to me.. The world map is still the same grainy/jaggy world map. Etc

Jucksalbe

Banned
Other than the character models it doesn't seem that different to me.. The world map is still the same grainy/jaggy world map. Etc

The biggest improvement was how they could play FMVs in the background while you're still playing (like at that festival) instead of just in a separated scene.
But even other than that it still improved a lot (compare the graphics at the battle screen). And then FFIX improved even more, the way it should be.

Natetan

The biggest improvement was how they could play FMVs in the background while you're still playing (like at that festival) instead of just in a separated scene.
But even other than that it still improved a lot (compare the graphics at the battle screen). And then FFIX improved even more, the way it should be.

Oh yeah I remember that mech flying battle scene or scaling down a cliff or something. That was pretty cool

jaxword

The models are a pretty huge step up, that's for sure. Maybe the world map isn't that much better, but it at least is capable of detailed models instead of blocky shapes. Compare the train to the Ultima Weapon, for example.

ferr

I kind of appreciated that, but at the same time it ruined immersion for me. I was just like, 'oh look an FMV in the background'.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
So now I'm thinking XIII might be in my top 3. Never expected that.

I don't know if it's on my top 3 but it's surely one of the funniest FF and jRPG I played in my life. Infact it's also the only one I finished twice in the same year and I'm planning to play it again very soon. It's just so easy to pick and play that almost seems a fightning game. Its greatest merit its accessibility.

Mario007

Can anyone tell me what good is the Square Enix Members thingy? I mean the EU one, cause I heard the Japanese one sents out rewards depending on how many games you buy from SE. I keep registering games in my but there really doesn't seem to a be different function to the registration than to be able to say, 'Hey, I've 10 SE games, I'm so awesome!'

Perfo

Can anyone tell me what good is the Square Enix Members thingy? I mean the EU one, cause I heard the Japanese one sents out rewards depending on how many games you buy from SE. I keep registering games in my but there really doesn't seem to a be different function to the registration than to be able to say, 'Hey, I've 10 SE games, I'm so awesome!'

Sooner or later you'll be able to reclaim prizes, for now is going to become just your virtual collection you'll be able to share with your friends very soon. The greatest thing about the EU Blog is Ben Bateman though!

Mario007

Sooner or later you'll be able to reclaim prizes, for now is going to become just your virtual collection you'll be able to share with your friends very soon. The greatest thing about the EU Blog is Ben Bateman though!

Oh right, thanks. So it's something they're looking into or just a promise from a few years ago that we have to hold on to for the time being?

I have to start looking at the EU blog more often. Is Ben like really helpful when you questions etc?

Perfo

Oh right, thanks. So it's something they're looking into or just a promise from a few years ago that we have to hold on to for the time being?

It's what Square Enix America and Square Enix Japan are doing from a long time. Considering the European Blog just born and is getting improvements frequently, I'm pretty confident we will have our prizes sooner or later. Nothing official though.

I have to start looking at the EU blog more often. Is Ben like really helpful when you questions etc?

He is very helpful both on the blog and twitter, plus he keeps it updated almost daily. I love the european members site and the support that its getting.

Mario007

It's what Square Enix America and Square Enix Japan are doing from a long time. Considering the European Blog just born and is getting improvements frequently, I'm pretty confident we will have our prizes sooner or later. Nothing official though.

He is very helpful both on the blog and twitter, plus he keeps it updated almost daily. I love the european members site and the support that its getting.

Wow I didn't know that EU blog is so recent. Will deffo cut them some slack in that case and will visit it more often. Thanks for the info Perfo!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't know if it's on my top 3 but it's surely one of the funniest FF and jRPG I played in my life. Infact it's also the only one I finished twice in the same year and I'm planning to play it again very soon. It's just so easy to pick and play that almost seems a fightning game. Its greatest merit its accessibility.
FFXIII is the funniest game you've ever played? If you look at it in a satirical sort of way, it could be funny, I guess. ;)

I can't recall a single instance of myself laughing while playing either version of that game unless it was out of disbelief. >.>

Funniest game I've ever played? Now that's a tough one... It probably isn't an FF game, even if FF5A is kind of funny... *ponders*

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I meant funny in the "I enjoy what is being presented to me" fashion, thank you very much!
And here I was thinking that you liked Nocturne! :D

You mentioned Barkley up above, and you can't think of funny RPGs?!
I was thinking of that and then I started thinking of Mother dialogue. And then I thought of tornadoes carrying cars. Then I thought about NiGHTS being a car.

Ace Attorney dialogue, Persona 4, some of Shadow Hearts 2 and 3's dialogue, the Mario RPGs, Red Seeds Profile's dialogue, Day of the Tentacle, Space Quest, etc. Dong Dong Never Die's pretty good at making the player laugh for unintentional reasons. Bishi Bashi Special might count. Conker's Bad Fur Day was intended to be funny. Dragonball Evolution is hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Oh, Fighter Maker can be pretty funny if you do the right stuff.

Kind of a hard decision when you don't limit it to RPGs, lol.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FFXIII is the funniest game you've ever played? If you look at it in a satirical sort of way, it could be funny, I guess. ;)

I can't recall a single instance of myself laughing while playing either version of that game unless it was out of disbelief. >.>

Funniest game I've ever played? Now that's a tough one... It probably isn't an FF game, even if FF5A is kind of funny... *ponders*

VII had some funny moments, probably more due to some of the weird translation choices. "Bear wearing a marshmallow" etc.

Perfo

The battle system sure was engaging, it's still the only FF I like to pick up and play for few minutes just for the sake of it. I could never do the same with FF7, 8 or 10. Those games didn't age well and are slow as shit when it comes to gameplay and flow of the action. I think the idea to make XIII a more streamlined experience was great, they just had to give it a bit more variety, mostly in regards to level design and the actions you could take outside of the battlefield.

Shadow780

I do like the structure flow and level of polish on XIII. They just have to make it more engaging and better story. Running around pressing X and backtracking dungeons is outdated.

Also the scenery, an often overlooked portion of that game, so phenomenally beautiful.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I remember cracking up at the "bear wearing a marshmallow" line, then going into the inn to see Barret modeling his sailor suit in the bathroom and yelling at anyone who tried to get in. FFVII definitely had its funny moments.

They were all pretty funny until...I don't know. Was it X or XII when SE started to make everything really "serious"?
X still had its sorta funny moments. X-2, according to my bf, has "the humour of a Tales game in some parts", and I can certainly see where he got that (there's a hot springs scene, minigames like the massage one to play through to progress through the game, etc).

I would bet the farm on Dirge of Cerberus, though.

FFXIII didn't have the humour I wanted, I guess (though I can't remember if that game had any humour at all outside of the stuff that was intended to be funny but came off as sarcastic or annoying). I think that factored into me not enjoying it as much as other people (and I say that as someone who adores the "capacity to be super-serious" Suikoden series).

Vi and IX were the funniest FF games imo. FFXIII was funny, but not the way I wanted.

It's like someone at SE went and said:

JkBLm.png

Labadal

All great moments! Although I never got threatened by the Moogle. Steiner is also pure gold! The trivia battles were also cool. Or Zidane grabbing Dagger's butt. Wouldn't have worked in many games.

Mxrz

Finished XIII. The bits before the final final boss were confusing. I had the volume up somewhat loud and the dual-voice speech was hard to make out.
Fang was going to knock out Vanlle and what? I get that it would take both of them to become the thing, but how did she plan to do that after bashing her head in?

I've always wondered why almost every FF, at some point, goes off the deep end with its respective mythology. XII almost made it, but then you get to a point and its like the game went "Welp, here's some Alien-God things that are behind it all." Guessing normal people don't make for flashy enough final bosses.

I'm somewhat hyped for XIII-2 again. Mostly cause I want to see more of Pulse.

Perfo

The "what-the-fuck" moments at the end of every Final Fantasy are my favorite, always ending in an unpredictable (messed up or not) way. They told me Type-0 does it in a very grand way, can't wait to experience it ahah.

Now as for XIII's ending... I admit it was a bit difficult to figure out why it ended up that way. The DATALOG and XIII-2 explain it though...

Speaking of which, the "Focus", "Crystal Slumber", "Cieth" and stuff like that are Toriyama's contribution to the FNC right? I mean Type-0 and Versus should not touch on those.

Noi

I've always wondered why almost every FF, at some point, goes off the deep end with its respective mythology. XII almost made it, but then you get to a point and its like the game went "Welp, here's some Alien-God things that are behind it all." Guessing normal people don't make for flashy enough final bosses.

Every year I'm reminded that the Occuria exist because I forget they're even a thing in FFXII. I really need to replay that one of these days...

jaxword

While that's a valid complaint about all FFs, FF12's isn't that farfetched. The God-Occuria have been omnipresent and manipulating humanity since before Ashe saw her first ghost.

Top Bottom