• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Esura

Banned
He was soooo good. Too bad they couldn't have kept him.

Should of gave him more money. When they remake FFVIII they need to call him up.

17 year olds flip flopping daily about who they're in love with???

That's the most accurate writing Square-Enix has EVER done.
Can't think of too many 17 year old males turning down advances from an older woman like Squall did though. I'd sure as hell wouldn't of turned that down when I was 17.

FF8 was where I realized there was some sort of cultural dissonance going on with the new(er) games. - A hot young Teacher with a freaking whip is flat out ignored in favor of a pale, fruity girl with daddy issues and a dog.

Things were never the same after that.

Don't forget that she was with Seifer too. :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...I thought that Quistis was probably the best girl in that game. Great limit break, nice design, smart, wears glasses, etc.

That's the thing about FFVIII: almost everyone's design in that game was great, but some of the characters' personalities... ehhh... The art direction for environments and characters was really damn good in that game. Honestly, I'm more and more impressed every time I play through FF8.

Older by one year barely counts in a male's brain.
I learned something new today.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Zell's attempt at a Mike Tyson tattoo is the worst. Edit: yes I know Tyson got it in 2003. :p

I remember playing FFVIII one time when company was over and my aunt had to laugh Zell's silly punching animations outside of the Balamb Garden library. He's supposed to be modeled after a shounen protagonist isn't he? That's why it's easy to make fun of him.

Most importantly: how the hell did they manage to disguise that white SeeD ship so well? Every playthrough, it takes me at least 15 minutes to locate it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Because the area around it is absurd, every part of the landmass looks the same, and no one seems to go there anymore. How did Watts and Zone get there, though?

DeCOV.png

And WHO IS MEAN GUY?

KOTCl.png

And why is this happening?!

13poG.png
lSuHm.png
FyIof.png
LXu68.png

Worst dungeon ever because everything about it looks the same and the only thing people want to do in there is play cards even though you're escaping.

And you guys know I'm into absurdity.

oUyCF.gif

Hey, I love that whole escape from jail, infiltrate the missile base, return to garden in the midst of a power struggle, and make the garden float-sequence. The pacing's great.

jaxword

Can't think of too many 17 year old males turning down advances from an older woman like Squall did though. I'd sure as hell wouldn't of turned that down when I was 17.

I can. But I knew a lot of stuck up guys in high school, it was pretty religious and rich and a lot of them, in all seriousness, would turn a girl down for not being devout enough. As in, were you Baptist or not? Lutheran? No thanks.

This isn't to imply that they didn't have sex like mad -- it just had to be God-approved.

I also knew a few guys, perfectly normal and good looking, who turned down some hot as hell girls just arbitrary reasons. Just didn't

Like, seriously, my older brother turned down the hottest cheerleader just because he didn't like redheads. Every guy on the team wanted her, but no, he only went for blondes for the ENTIRE three years.

So yeah, there ARE those rare times that teenage guys turn down girls for no good reason other than they felt like it.

Apologies if this information is already well known (or if this is the kind of thing that deserves its own thread) but I just read about this and found it fascinating:

So I guess many people already know that originally Square was concurrently developing two FF games at the end of the Famicom era: FFIV for the Famicom and (what we now know as FFIV) FFV for the SFC. They decided to scrap FFIV to focus on the SFC and re-numbered FFV to FFIV. Well, according to some research by Mato (of Mother 3 fanslation, among other things, fame), that Famicom FFIV was apparently 80% complete when Square canned it. From an old FFVI Sakaguchi interview that he dug up:

–Crystals are the symbol of FF, but I hear they won’t be in this new FF?

Sakaguchi: Yes, that’s correct. It takes place in a world where civilization has reached mechanization, and much of what was in previous FF worlds has been tossed out. That said, the world still has that European Middle Ages vibe to it.

–Will this be the last FF on the Super Famicom?

Sakaguchi: Hmm… Probably. This one will sort of sum up 1 through 5. I have no doubt it will be the pinnacle of FFs so far. But this is just one stop along the tracks. I’m sure there’ll be a 7 and 8 down the line, and this one will serve as the bridge.

–This is a bit of an old topic, but when you were developing 4 for the FC, you were developing 5 for the SFC at the same time, right?

Sakaguchi: A painful question… (laugh) 4 on the FC… When development was canceled, I told many game magazines in interviews that it had only been at the initial concept stage and that the story was never finished. I said there was nothing to it (laugh), but that was a big, fat lie. It was actually some 80% done. But I was filled with regret and answered with a lie as if dragging my tail between my legs.

–Do you still have the data/files for it?

Sakaguchi: I don’t really know much about that sort of thing, but I think we still have it.

Pretty interesting stuff if true! I wonder whatever happened to the source code.

Kokonoe

Banned
I wasn't aware of this, and I have to say I'm glad they did this.

RGrvM.png

A shame they altered his look in future releases, the warrior of light looks more like Cecil now.

Concept art.

Although technically the design they use is based off the concept art to FF1, but the characters in the games look nothing like it.

Ultratech

Apologies if this information is already well known (or if this is the kind of thing that deserves its own thread) but I just read about this and found it fascinating:

So I guess many people already know that originally Square was concurrently developing two FF games at the end of the Famicom era: FFIV for the Famicom and (what we now know as FFIV) FFV for the SFC. They decided to scrap FFIV to focus on the SFC and re-numbered FFV to FFIV. Well, according to some research by Mato (of Mother 3 fanslation, among other things, fame), that Famicom FFIV was apparently 80% complete when Square canned it. From an old FFVI Sakaguchi interview that he dug up:

Pretty interesting stuff if true! I wonder whatever happened to the source code.

Yup. Pretty neat.

They probably lost the code for it though, and likely had no use for it after a certain point. I mentioned it in the FFVII (PC) thread, but it wasn't uncommon to lose the source code for games back in those days.

Natetan

Yup. Pretty neat.

They probably lost the code for it though, and likely had no use for it after a certain point. I mentioned it in the FFVII (PC) thread, but it wasn't uncommon to lose the source code for games back in those days.

Kind of glad they lost it to be honest

I just dont feel like any of the nes games evolved graphically past ff1, which is sad. DQ nes games got more and more graphically sophisticated yet every nes game looks the isame. Might sound weird but nim not terribly said they didn't initially published them in the us, playing ffiv first time on snes seemed such a giant leap ahead and partly I suppose to the minimal level of improvement or should I say innovations in ffii and ffiii.ff3 especially just feels so phones in because square needed to sell something.

Kind of glad they lost it to be honest

I just dont feel like any of the nes games evolved graphically past ff1, which is sad. DQ nes games got more and more graphically sophisticated yet every nes game looks the isame. Might sound weird but nim not terribly said they didn't initially published them in the us, playing ffiv first time on snes seemed such a giant leap ahead and partly I suppose to the minimal level of improvement or should I say innovations in ffii and ffiii.ff3 especially just feels so phones in because square needed to sell something.
I think the interesting thing to find out about would be the story though, if it was indeed 80% complete. Storywise, the series makes a huge leap from III to IV, and whatever they had planned for the original Famicom IV would presumably have been some sort of bridge between that. It would be cool just to see how Famicom IV fit into the middle of the transition between III and SNES IV.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That is the best WoL Dissidia design and I can't believe they never defaulted to that. smh.

I mean, look at him:

lkWCe.gif

HE LOOKS DELIGHTFUL.

FF VII,VIII, IX on my vita. Wonder which I'm gonna play first
All of them are good.

I love IX the most. >.>

Also, good looooord, I did a ton of cleaning today and found some old strategy guides. I remember when I used to buy FF games and the strategy guides together (like, even though I don't use them on a first playthrough, I usually looked through them for art and to use on a second playthrough). I didn't even do that with the FF13 games. :/

So, what was with Dissidia's bizarre attempt at expanding the backstory to the first Final Fantasy, anyway? The reports and everything go through this big long tirade into the origin of Garland and Chaos and what have you and then completely forgets that there were four Warriors of Light, not one.

jaxword

So, what was with Dissidia's bizarre attempt at expanding the backstory to the first Final Fantasy, anyway? The reports and everything go through this big long tirade into the origin of Garland and Chaos and what have you and then completely forgets that there were four Warriors of Light, not one.

For storyline purposes, there may as well have been one WoL for all the plot relevance they had.

jaxword

We'rent they sisters? Oerba Vanille and Oerba Fang?

What? No.

They were from the same city/village, so that's where the naming similarity comes from.

They were totally a lesbian couple, it's hinted throughout the entire game and then the ending solidifies it.

Mario007

They are from the same clan, but I think they're free to pursue....whatever they wanted.

What? No.

They were from the same city/village, so that's where the naming similarity comes from.

They were totally a lesbian couple, it's hinted throughout the entire game and then the ending solidifies it.

I dunno, I mean the obvious lesbianism was there but I felt it was more of an awkward way of the writers going for sisterly love, ya know like a counterbalance to Lightning and Serah's broken relationship.

jaxword

I dunno, I mean the obvious lesbianism was there but I felt it was more of an awkward way of the writers going for sisterly love, ya know like a counterbalance to Lightning and Serah's broken relationship.

The first thing Fang does when her and Vanille reunite is immediately pull up her skirt and check our her ass.

It's pretty damn blatant that Fang was a jealous lover, especially in how she got REALLY territorial around the guys talking to Vanille.

Not to mention the ending, which is as love story anime-cliche as possible. I get to spend eternity embraced in a crystalline form with my lover! is like every girl-manga ever.

Also, Fang's character was originally male. So a lot of her mannerisms really ARE a jealous boyfriend's.

Mario007

The first thing Fang does when her and Vanille reunite is immediately pull up her skirt and check our her ass.

It's pretty damn blatant that Fang was a jealous lover, especially in how she got REALLY territorial around the guys talking to Vanille.

Not to mention the ending, which is as love story anime-cliche as possible. I get to spend eternity embraced in a crystalline form with my lover! is like every girl-manga ever.

Also, Fang's character was originally male. So a lot of her mannerisms really ARE a jealous boyfriend's.

Hmm...haven't watched nearly enough girl-mangas to know that and never noticed Fang getting territorial around Snow or Sazh. Regarding your first point, she checks for the l'cie mark not just to go 'daymn, that's some sweet ass you got there dear'.

But that's not to say that you're wrong at all, the implications are kinda there, you're right.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The truth is out, you like Fighter because of 8bit theater.
You should be used to me joking around by now! :( (We don't get to talk about 8-bit Theater in here, so I'm glad someone else picked it up. :p)

But seriously, partially, though I like the Fighter sprite and the BM sprite out of all the sprites in that game. Plus the Fighter sprite is far more nicer-looking than the Knight. Remember, I didn't think NES FF was as nice-looking as Dragon Warrior or Phantasy Star, so I ended up not liking it much in general; the fighter and BM sprites were the only things I really liked. Plus he's arguably the best class to pick if you can afford the equipment (heck even four times over).

I have spreadsheets of FFI stuff (to be fair, I have spreadsheets for almost every FF). I need help.

jaxword said:
I don't get why they can't confirm that or acknowledge what everyone's thinking.

I think it would be great and kind of interesting for the FF series on that front.

Just came across these two awesome videos: (I like the KH one better)

Final Fantasy meets Metal

Kingdom Hearts meets Metal
I thought we were going to talk about this Metal.

jaxword

Regarding your first point, she checks for the l'cie mark not just to go 'daymn, that's some sweet ass you got there dear'.

I don't know, I don't think I'd immediately pull up my sister's (or ANY woman's) skirt to check for a tattoo, with the exception of my girlfriend.

Note in that scene, even the guys are a bit embarrassed when Fang does this.

Just another hint that she's completely and totally comfortable with Vanille's body.

Kokonoe

Banned
You should be used to me joking around by now! :( (We don't get to talk about 8-bit Theater in here, so I'm glad someone else picked it up. :p)

But seriously, partially, though I like the Fighter sprite and the BM sprite out of all the sprites in that game. Plus the Fighter sprite is far more nicer-looking than the Knight. Remember, I didn't think NES FF was as nice-looking as Dragon Warrior or Phantasy Star, so I ended up not liking it much in general; the fighter and BM sprites were the only things I really liked. Plus he's arguably the best class to pick if you can afford the equipment (heck even four times over).

I have spreadsheets of FFI stuff (to be fair, I have spreadsheets for almost every FF). I need help.

I was joking as well, although my jokes tend to not be picked up on due to my posting style.

I actually quite like the original Final Fantasy's art style, the only thing I didn't like was the battles were rather blank and black. I played Final Fantasy the first time in (I think 1997-1998) when I was able to pick it up at a grocery store for 5-10$ oddly enough, my first Final Fantasy game.

It's been a little bit since I've watched 8bit theater, but it sure was entertaining I remember that much. Flash videos were the youtube of the past.

Mario007

I don't know, I don't think I'd immediately pull up my sister's (or ANY woman's) skirt to check for a tattoo, with the exception of my girlfriend.

Note in that scene, even the guys are a bit embarrassed when Fang does this.

Just another hint that she's completely and totally comfortable with Vanille's body.

True that, I guess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edit: I've been doing some cleaning and I am going to do something I'm sure I'll regret in the future: throw out hardcopies of stats and stuff I've written/typed out for any RPG I'd played when I was a teenager. :(

I know the stuff almost by heart now so I could probably throw it all out... I know what to junction, I know who to assign what Materia to (well, I don't use materia outside of yellow materia all that much anymore anyway), I don't need spell lists and what levels people get them at...

I was joking as well, although my jokes tend to not be picked up on due to my posting style.

I actually quite like the original Final Fantasy's art style, the only thing I didn't like was the battles were rather blank and black. I played Final Fantasy the first time in (I think 1997-1998) when I was able to pick it up at a grocery store for 5-10$ oddly enough, my first Final Fantasy game.

It's been a little bit since I've watched 8bit theater, but it sure was entertaining I remember that much. Flash videos were the youtube of the past.
It's kinda hard to tell sometimes, truthfully. ;) But I know you have the capacity to do it, especially when it comes to Beef's favourite song.

Re:presentation. That's something I didn't like either! Compare to DQ and PS:

tf5tE.png
zuC5u.png
2THGf.jpg

As you know, I'm a shallow person when it comes to presentation, requiring colours and colours and colours. It was nice to be able to see the sprites instead of being in first-person, but I couldn't help but to feel that the backgrounds kind of suffered for it. I did think that FF had good music back then, though. I played FF... man, I don't remember. It was a little before I started playing FFII US, iirc. Somewhere early-to-mid-1990s, then. Likely about the time my cousins gave me their old consoles and stuff.

Wait, watch 8-bit Theater? It's voiced now? All I did was read the comics! I ended up reading it to completion last year (I started reading it back in 2001 or so), so I'm glad to know that he ended up finishing it.

Top Bottom