• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm way late on that discussion about Squall, but the thing that just bugged the crap out of me was that there seemed to be literally no reason at all that Rinoa was into him, regardless of what he was supposed to look like. He was a gargantuan asshole to everyone including Rinoa the whole time, at least up to Disc 3, where he had a complete personality shift at the point at which you inserted the disc.

I just played through FF3 on Android and its surprisingly...functional for an Android game. My friends ragged on me for throwing 15 bucks down on it, but I've put like 15 hours in so I can't say I threw the money away.

I'm now onto the FFIV Complete Collection and its strange; the game is almost easier than I remember, but the encounter rate is ridiculous. The only plus to this is that since I put the data on the PSP you can run away in the time it takes to walk a few steps.

Well, I'm not ashamed to say I enjoyed FFXIII and liked the graphics. It's not the best but I had fun. I had low expectations though so it probably helped out a bit.

I had low expectations too but it somehow didn't even meet what I considered to be low standards.

At least some people had fun, but unfortunately I was not one of them.

Mario007

I'm way late on that discussion about Squall, but the thing that just bugged the crap out of me was that there seemed to be literally no reason at all that Rinoa was into him, regardless of what he was supposed to look like. He was a gargantuan asshole to everyone including Rinoa the whole time, at least up to Disc 3, where he had a complete personality shift at the point at which you inserted the disc.

I just played through FF3 on Android and its surprisingly...functional for an Android game. My friends ragged on me for throwing 15 bucks down on it, but I've put like 15 hours in so I can't say I threw the money away.

I'm now onto the FFIV Complete Collection and its strange; the game is almost easier than I remember, but the encounter rate is ridiculous. The only plus to this is that since I put the data on the PSP you can run away in the time it takes to walk a few steps.

Well Rinoa did fall for Seifer first and he was douche too, so I guess that's just the kind of people she likes. Squall's personality change is largely due to what happened to Rinoa and even then you see him trying to go solve the situation alone, which fits with his character quite well.

Glad to hear good impressions of FF3 on Android. I would totally buy it if/when those Google Play gift cards come to Europe.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've been curious about this for a while now, but I was too busy (ok, shy) to ask, but what was everyone's very first FF game?

Don't have to necessarily beat it, but I'm just kinda curious.

Mine was FFI NES; problem is I played it after I'd played Phantasy Star and Dragon Warrior, so I guess I didn't like it as much. :lol I still don't. The Origins version is probably my favourite version of the game.

I had low expectations too but it somehow didn't even what I considered to be low standards.

At least some people had fun, but unfortunately I was not one of them.
The strangest thing is that I was never looking forward to FFXIII, but the final Japanese trailer kinda got me into it (that before launch high). Nothing about it excited me in the trailers, nor did anything about its battle footage keep me intrigued. I just imported the Japanese version anyway because a few of my friends in uni were already doing it, and I was kind of disappointed with the end-product.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I've been curious about this for a while now, but I was too busy (ok, shy) to ask, but what was your very first FF game?
If you meant in general to the general public . . .

The first FF I played was 7, then 8, 9, Tactics, 6?, 10, 10-2, 4, 12, 13.

I think I started 6 after Tactics, but after a two-year pause I actually finished it.

Noi

Of the PS1 era onward, my first was FFVII. I wasn't familiar with RPGs as a whole back then, but one of my cousins lent it to me while describing it as the weirdest game he'd ever played. I fell for it almost instantly (to the point where my cousin let me keep it), and it's still one of my favorite ones to go back and replay on occasion. I didn't actually own another FF until X, since I skipped VIII when it came out and played IX on a loaned copy in middle school.

My first experience with the 2D ones was the Chronicles version of FFIV. Funny enough, I started Chrono Trigger first since it was the "prettier" game, but I started FFIV a few days later out of curiosity and couldn't put it down. Playing the PS1 versions of both games are what made me tolerant to load times these days, heh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
@ hateradio: Yeah. The question was posed to everyone, so I amended my post. Sorry about that!

I remember playing FF6 as a kid and hating it for some reason. Hated it so much that I asked my dad to take me to take it back to the rental store to get another game instead a few days later. I didn't end up beating the game when I bought my own copy in the mid-2000s.

I couldn't get FF7 when it came out on PS1 so my dad would sometimes take me to the local Toys R Us to play the game on the demo kiosk (even when my mom said I was grounded and not allowed to play games, lol). I must've played the first mission so many times before I eventually got to play FF7 on PC a year later. It just looked so damn cool when my cousins were playing it on their PS1 so I really wanted to play it. Especially after my cousin got so pissed with the Corel Train section in that game and ended up breaking their PS1... >.>

Noi said:
Playing the PS1 versions of both games are what made me tolerant to load times these days, heh.
I actually don't mind load times. I use them as a small time to take a drink of something or to stand and stretch... stuff like that. But sometimes it depends on if the load times are really really really long.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I didn't even know the Corel Train section was something you could fail...
You can totally fail it.

You lose the Huge Materia. You have to pay for the Ultima Materia, which is 50K gil. My cousin got so pissed when that FMV loaded up one time that he broke the PS1. Hahahaha.

It's funny, I played I and IV first, but didn't love the series until VI.
I didn't end up getting interested in the series until FF4 SNES... which is pretty damn funny in hindsight now. :lol

Noi

I actually don't mind load times. I use them as a small time to take a drink of something or to stand and stretch... stuff like that. But sometimes it depends on if the load times are really really really long.

Well yeah, it really depends on the game in question. As long as the game isn't like this:

izp0fJyul17Sr.gif

I can deal.

That reminds me, it always weirded me out that on my first copy of FFVII, my game always froze right after the second reactor bombing on Midgar, when Cloud falls into the church. I had no clue what to do, so I actually swapped from disc 1 to disc 2 out of frustration... and it actually let the game work and move on. I just assumed I had to use Disc 2 from then on, and it worked fine except whenever an FMV sequence was supposed to play, which were usually entirely skipped or extremely bugged out (I never saw the Jenova's head floating inside the tank in the Shinra building, and the part where Cloud hands over the Black Materia froze for a good long while before skipping it). To this day I have no clue as to whether it as the disc itself that caused that or whether my PS1 was on something back then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think all of the game data is on each disc (that's why you don't have to swap discs back in if you go back somewhere, I guess), but most of the space is occupied by the FMVs. At least it was like that for the PC version. You could view all of the FMVs sans music if you wanted to if you manually selected it from the disc drive.

Probably had a bad disc.

What are you talking about? That's the best loading screen ever because it's the best part of the game. :p

Speaking of bad technical times with FF games... Once, my brother stepped on my PS2 by accident so it ended up scratching my FFX-2 disc. I had to buy another copy of that, but luckily I could start where I'd previously left off because I wasn't saving at the same time. Oh, and he opened the PS1 lid while I was saving a game in FF9 so I had to start my first playthrough of the game ever over. Good times. :lol

Mxrz

I think 4 was my first via rental. Then I bought Mystic Quest & Final Fantasy Adventure cause they were cheap games. But it was 6 that made me into a huge fan.

Natetan

My first ff game was FF1 on the NES I want to say in 1990? Pretty much played all the games and spin off games in the order they were released in NA. Loved all of them until FF8 when i thiught the series was over for good when it followed up with FF9, but then played FFX in about 2004 and loved it. I discovered FFV in around 2007 but I didn't like it at first. Then I discovered how awesome blue mages are and the fun went from there. Bought FF3DS in about 2008 and then finally got to FF2 just last year. FF3 is prob my least favorite in the series while FF2 iOS anyway is one of my favorites.

Haven't played any games after ffx.

I think that had mostly to do with FFVIII's writing being bad even by Final Fantasy standards.

The first Final Fantasy I actually owned was FFX, but I had been exposed to a lot of VII, VIII, and IX by way of friends and I've since gone back and purchased basically the entire series.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
My first exposure to FF was probably FFV trading cards. I was probably around 9 or 10 and the stationary shop near my place sells all sorts of trading cards and I bought some of these FFV ones. Since I didn't know any Japanese back then and had no idea what Final Fantasy is (I was a Genesis/Mega Drive kid) I didn't know what these cards were. I just liked the SD CG character models they had on every card. It's a pity my mum did her get-rid-of-son's toys routine every now and then so these cards were thrown away.

The first time I laid eyes on an FF game was a few years later, at a friend's place. He was playing FFVI on his PC via emulater (I think this was back in 97/98) and telling me how awesome the characters were. The very first FF which I played was FFVII when I bought a PS1 around that same period.

EDIT. Picture of those trading cards. Found them via google.
iN4sBpvrF1grf.jpg

Why did I/Mum throw these away :(

Shinta

Banned
My first exposure to FF was the first one on NES. I liked it, but never fully fell hard for the series until the next game. I think I was more into Zelda at the time.

I borrowed my friend's copy of "Final Fantasy II" and maxed out the game clock and got every character to level 99 before giving it back to him. He looked like he had seen a ghost when he loaded it up and saw my game.

Then I got "Final Fantasy III" for Christmas. That's when the series just totally blew my face off, and was basically my favorite game series. The music, graphics and art, story, cast, and gameplay just hit new levels.

snes-final-fantasy-iii-box-front.jpg

Coming off FFVI, and Chrono Trigger, and Mario 64, I honestly thought FFVII was ugly and a downgrade from VI, even at the time. I was much more into VIII. And IX is the best of the PS1 games, even though the cast is probably the worst in the whole series, except for Vivi. The game is just gorgeous, and is probably tied with FFVI as Uematsu's best OST.

It really wasn't until FFX that I fully felt that same face-melting insanity that I felt when playing FFVI for the first time. X just completely blew me away. The OST is miles ahead of anything I had heard in the series prior. I didn't realize until years later that this was because of the addition of Masashi Hamauzu and Junya Nakano, who brought much more modern styles that took full advantage of modern sound quality and arrangement/recording techniques. The first time I heard Luca, my jaw was on the floor. And that just kept happening, for the whole game. The summon system is the best in the entire series, by far. The mini-game was the best in the entire series, by far. The art style was explosive, and I felt like rich color was back in the series for the first time since FFVI. All the PS1 games look so faded to me.

Next up, Final Fantasy XI pretty much changed my life. I played for over 5 years as a White Mage and we were pretty serious about high level end game stuff. The game just took Final Fantasy gameplay and elevated it to a level that the series has yet to match. Some of my sessions as WHM were really on par with Ninja Gaiden Master Ninja playthroughs in terms of difficulty, and the reflexes and speed required to play at an elite level - hitting people with stona like 0.00005 seconds after they were petrified, while running a haste cycle and healing a whole alliance with no refresh. It just got more and more complicated, and rewarding when WHM got 2 stances from Scholar subjob, and then two more native stances to the job. It's just the best version of WHM in the entire series, and no other entry is even close. And you can really say that about pretty much every job in the game. This isn't even touching on Mizuta's gigantic masterpiece of a soundtrack, with over 180 songs that almost eclipses Uematsu's whole career. The combination of quality and quantity could easily secure it's spot as best OST in the entire series (or tied with X, XIII and XIII-2, can't fully decide).

Next up, Final Fantasy XII. The battle system blew me away because of how sophisticated it was. But I think it blew me away less than a lot of others who skipped XI. Because it's really just a shadow of XI's battle system, since they were trying to cram it all into single player. The story bored me to tears at times, but I really enjoyed the world. The characters were also extremely boring, and rival FFIX in a contest of worst cast in the series. The OST is also, sadly, the worst in the series in many ways. I like Sakimoto a lot, and he has his own particular style that definitely works. But XII had such poor arrangement and recording that I think it actually really gave Sakimoto a raw deal, and hid many songs that have genuinely great hooks and melodies because the actual sound just wasn't that good. Take Near the Water as just one example. The whole melody is just buried, and you barely even notice it. Now listen to the chiptunes version, arranged by Suzuki. The melody is just much clearer, and it makes following the song a totally different experience. There are a few rare tracks on XII that truly delivered though, like Giza Plains, to name just one. The game had so much potential, but really squandered it with the cast by not using the other races.

Next up, Final Fantasy XIII. This game totally blew my face off as well, and really hit me just as hard as FFX and FFVI. The music and art truly hit the peak for the entire series. Masashi Hamauzu is truly a genius, and the game is to this day, probably the most impressive total visual package I have seen in a game this generation (and maybe ever). I think the cast is really right up there near the top for the entire series also, easily. Nearly every person could serve as the lead for the whole game, and they're all really iconic and well designed with the exception of Snow, who I think is the weak link in the cast. I thought Serah wasn't that great either, until XIII-2 completely changed my mind on that one. The battle system is not as sophisticated as XII, but I loved the combination of automated gambits with rapid skill-based paradigm switching. It's the closest I think the series has gotten to the high speed, high precision, reflex-based gameplay seen in high level endgame combat in XI. XI is still much more complex though, of course. The FNC mythology is just super interesting to me also, and SQEX has really only gone this in depth in world building 3 times - Ivalice, Vana'diel, and Cocoon/Pulse (Eorzea looks like the fourth).

I really like all the games though, and I like that they're always willing to try something totally new that I could never predict. I think the worst thing someone can ask for, as a fan of the series, is remakes or future games focused on mimicking older playstyles. I don't care about a world map, or airships. If they want it in the game, I'm totally down. But I'd rather just see them go for the most original variation of the series they can think of. If XV is an action RPG, I'm totally down for playing it.

If I had to rank the games, I would probably rank them as follows:

Tier 1: VI, X, XI, XII, XIII
Tier 2: IV, IX, VIII
Tier 3: VII, V
Tier 4: I, II, III

*XIV: ARR not ranked yet

And I'm totally fine with people who love other entries more. That's what the series' diversity is all about really.

I feel so alone in my love for the FFXIII games.

I know that feel bro. I usually go into FF threads like this.

tumblr_m8s8y1LOMU1r8sq0so2_500.gif

Doesn't mean I think I'm wrong though.

Tier 1: VI, X, XI, XII, XIII
Tier 2: IV, IX, VIII
Tier 3: VII, V
Tier 4: I, II, III

I'm considering giving XIII a chance just because I agree/can relate with so much else of your post.

My list would be more like

Tier 1: VI, IX, XI, XII
Tier 2: IV, I
Tier 3: II, III, V
Tier 4: VII

With VIII, X, and XIII nowhere because I avoided them for various reasons.

Can't put FF games I played into tiers, but I know what I liked and what I didn't.

Enjoyed: VI, VII, IX, X, XII

Did not enjoy: VIII, XIII

Haven't played any other, but I think I'm gonna do V next.

Mine would be

Tier 1: VI, VII, VIII, IX
Tier 2: X, V
Tier 3: III, I, IV
Tier 4: XIII, II

Never actually played through XII, and while the cast and setting look interesting, what I've seen of the battle system doesn't really make me want to play. Don't really have any desire to try out XI (or XIV, for that matter) since I don't really like MMOs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Damn, now that's a pretty thorough post, Shinta! I wanted to say something last night but I was on mobile. It's hard to split posts up in mobile. :x

I can't bring myself to rank FF games. They always change. Like this post I made a while ago probably isn't accurate now. When I have a little more time, I'll repost my way of "ranking" them cuz I've changed some of them.

Also, I think after I finish this FFIV playthrough, I don't want to play it again for a long time. I'm at the point where I'm pushing myself through the game, but snarking off about it makes it better slightly, I guess.

W4AGj.png
i8gAu.png

I don't even. Best part of this game. :lol :lol

Shinta

Banned
I'm considering giving XIII a chance just because I agree/can relate with so much else of your post.

Well if you decide to get into it, let us know what you think. You can get it really cheap now, so that's a huge plus. If nothing else, the game is without a doubt, an audio/visual spectacle of the highest order (particularly on PS3). Who knows? You may even enjoy the story and gameplay. I did. Crazier things have happened.

The game is definitely different from past FF games.

When I have a little more time, I'll repost my way of "ranking" them cuz I've changed some of them.

You totally should! I always like reading that kind of thing.

Shadow780

If you don't know already, some girls love assholes, not to mention a good looking one.

BasilZero

So I just started FFV, so far the highlight was receiving an impromptu lap dance at the pub and leveling up my piano skills.

3Vfm0.png

Edit: So some guy told me that the monsters in the canal only attack women, I go there to see they are octopi.

Tentacle monsters that only attack women...this game is alright.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So I just started FFV, so far the highlight was receiving an impromptu lap dance at the pub and leveling up my piano skills.

3Vfm0.png

Edit: So some guy told me that the monsters in the canal only attack women, I go there to see they are octopi.

Knights do it two handed.

:p

Woo Final Fantasy rankings.

Tier 1: XI, XII IZJS, IX
Tier 2: XII Vanilla, VI, VIII
Tier 3: XIII, III, VII, IV, V, X
Tier 4: I, II

If you don't know already, some girls love assholes, not to mention a good looking one.

That explains Seifer. Squall didn't have enough of a personality to be considered a good looking badass type.

Maybe she likes the strong silent type.

3Vfm0.png

You're playing the GBA version, right?

Fantastic localization.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've been curious about this for a while now, but I was too busy (ok, shy) to ask, but what was everyone's very first FF game?

Not sure if FFVI counts because I didn't get past the Narshe (very first stage). :]

My first real one was FFVII and was able to reach before the final dungeon, but I never did finish it after 10 years later.

The first FF I finished was FFIX. Good times and probably one of the best final dungeons ever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The first Final Fantasy game I owned was the first one on the NES. I got stuck because I couldn't find the Oxyale because I didn't know there was a spring in Gaia that you had to go find the fairy at.

rataven

The original FF was my first too! I was so young when I played it -- I remember thinking it was really confusing, and the random battles kind of scared me. Oh god, how funny is it being a kid, haha.

The translation was also problematic. He wasn't as much of an associated in the original.

Well, to be fair, the English translation is what it is. And in subsequent appearances, they've played up the loner, 'whatever' persona. The only version of Squall that's not an arrogant ass is his KH2 Leon identity, who honestly feels like an entirely different character.

Angry Grimace

The original FF was my first too! I was so young when I played it -- I remember thinking it was really confusing, and the random battles kind of scared me. Oh god, how funny is it being a kid, haha.

Well, to be fair, the English translation is what it is. And in subsequent appearances, they've played up the loner, 'whatever' persona. The only version of Squall that's not an arrogant ass is his KH2 Leon identity, who honestly feels like an entirely different character.

I played the original through on the VC recently and its not as hard as I remember; that or I'm just better at grinding levels in a less tedious manner.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow didnt know this thread existed ;p

Anyways, decided to play all of the FF games all over again (and this time record it for my YT Channel as Playthroughs).

I've finished with Final Fantasy 1 Dawn of Souls and currently playing FF2 Dawn of Souls.

Final Fantasy 1 Dawn of Souls Playthrough: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDA6D72D8B7C9BF2E
Final Fantasy 1 Dawn of Souls Bosses: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL71E49BC0EBBBEBB7

Havent finished uploading them all yet though.
You should post this in the Final Fantasy Anniversary thread too where we're keeping track of our playthroughs of certain games in the series! :D

You totally should! I always like reading that kind of thing.
…you asked for it. ;P

I’ll borrow from one of my previous posts. I don't have a central favourite FF. I like to lump them into groups, though. I hate ranking them because by the time I organize them into numerical rankings or Tiers, I end up switching them around a million times.

Favourites with regards to battle system/ability system: FFX-2, FFV, FFX, FFXII

Final Fantasy V took Final Fantasy III’s introduction to the job system in these games and made it a million times better. The music’s great, and the dialogue/GBA localization is pretty funny. But the meat of the game, as you will notice when looking at Job Fiesta threads, is in the game’s job and ability learning systems. The system was now refined, and you got AP to level your jobs up. Once you learned a skill, you could assign it as a subskill while equipped with another skill to try to juggle the advantages of learning many skills that a job has to offer. It was a nice attempt at trying to allow classes to multiclass/multitask, and you could change your sprite appearance and retain some of your skills from another class if you wanted to. This was also the first appearance of the Blue Mage and Blue Magic was one of my favourite spell classes ever. :p

Final Fantasy X-2 took Final Fantasy V's implementation of the job system and modified it to something even more special. While I liked FFV's job system very much, I absolutely loved ATB Kai and the evolutions FFX-2 made to it via the Dressphere system. The on-the-fly job switching system allowed for so much flexibility and different combinations/permutations (if you required it) of jobs between characters and across the party to modify the party dynamic and synergy... and you could add those job spheres to a garment grid sometimes separated by stat enhancers that took effect if you passed through them in order to switch jobs on the fly. Sure, you can play with three dark knights, but where's the fun in that? Making things too easy isn’t fun, and you aren’t taking advantage of the diversity of jobs you have to handle. People who say it’s merely a “dress up” game really needs to take a long, hard look at it—it’s basically Final Fantasy V with an all-female cast. Each dressphere is a job and each job gives a different appearance to each character, like how all the jobs in FF5 gave a new appearance to a character, just in sprite form. We got an interesting set of jobs in Gun Mage, Gunner, Songstress, Festival-Goer, Psychic, Lady Luck, etc. So basically, instead of just 3 people in battle, you’re getting up to 17 or so jobs with each character, resulting in 680 possible combinations without repetition, 969 combinations with repetition, 4913 permutations with repetition, and 4080 permutations with repetition. I really liked tinkering with this system and seeing what I got out of it. Beat Trema without the Cat Nip tactic by using jobs that aren't ideal for the situation was fun.

Just… I love Final Fantasy X-2. I’ll defend it to the end.

I like ADB and CTB. I don't care much for the Sphere Grid system in FFX, but I really enjoyed CTB. It was fun, despite essentially boiling down to RPS matches sometimes. In a way, I felt it was a bit more tactical than other FFs, but in other ways, I felt it wasn't. The player has plenty of time to choose their next action, see the turn order, and decide what to do next. I also liked how Aeons were implemented; essentially becoming other party members. I did not play the international version of FFX, so I'm not sure if there were any changes to the battle system or Aeon growth system to improve either of them. To be honest, though, I don’t like using summons in post-FF7 games much, so on my second playthrough I didn’t use the Aeons unless the story told me to/you did the sidequests.

ADB was quite a treat because I really liked not having to go into a separate screen for a battle and chaining enemies for more XP, and I liked how well the gambits were implemented, especially in IZJS. IZJS is awesome in its own right; better than vanilla FFXII and improves upon its shortcomings in terms of the license board (also L1 to speed up the game is really helpful).

Favourites with regards to narrative and/or overall presentation: Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy II.

As I've said before, I like Final Fantasy IX because it feels like an idealized interpretation of what Final Fantasy is. The characters have their whimsical sides, but also their serious sides. All of them can be silly at times, but they all have their personal struggles to deal with. The character whom I felt exemplified this quality perfectly was Vivi. Even Steiner exemplifies this because he has to struggle between his loyalty for his monarch, his loyalty to the country, his loyalty to the princess, and his loyalty to himself. Plus his CLANKING is a lovely character quirk that I can’t get over. From the moment I started controlling him, I couldn’t help but to laugh at the constant clanking of his rusty armour. All of the characters had their certain motivations to continue the journey. I felt like the silly moments complemented the absolutely serious and dark moments of the game perfectly. I don't really like how Disc 4 goes (except for Memoria, because I thought that stuff was kind of cool), or how Disc 3 ends very much, but the rest of the game is absolutely wonderful. The score is quite excellent, and the town design is absolutely gorgeous. Dali, Lindblum, Treno, Alexandria and Black Mage Village are some of my favourite towns in gaming just because I like their designs so much, and the music used for these environments are wonderful and synch so well with the art design and NPC talk.

I guess you could say I like FFII because I like Suikoden and other political narratives like that? Aside from the great music, I thought the narrative was pretty good. I think it can be improved in some areas (in terms of pacing), but I liked it. As long as you play the game without beating up your party members in an attempt to level up quickly, it becomes less of a chore to get through. I'd like to think it's one of the darker FF narratives, but gets overshadowed because of its battle/ability system. It handles character permadeath pretty well for the era in which it was released. And I think FFII benefitted the most from its re-releases and ports. (Also, everything is weak against Toad. Toad > Ultima, confirmed.)

Final Fantasy VI was a game I did not play until I was 15 or so. I remember when I was little, I rented it once, played it for a bit, and really disliked it. Took it back to the rental place and rented Illusion of Gaia instead. It wasn't until I was in high school that I bought my own copy and gave it a fair shot. I've liked it ever since because the game has so much depth to it in terms of late-game sidequests, recruitable characters, the spritework, the narrative, a good villain, and an amazing soundtrack.

Great Presentation (artwork, localization, cutscene direction, etc): FFX, FFXII, FFXIII, the PS1 FFs

Final Fantasy X stunned me because it was one of the first games I had ever played with full-fledged voicework. When I first played it, it was unlike anything I had ever seen before, so it blew me away. Ending constantly makes me tear up but I kind of think it's because of the Ending Theme that's playing during those scenes; that is good scene direction. The art direction in that game is beautiful, and you can see some shades of it in Type-0. The use of shades of blues and greens throughout the game (fitting in with the aquatic theme of the game) was so smart. Stuff like this makes for some breathtaking scenery. FFX is one of the few games that my parents watched me play the whole way through, and one of the games that I felt held my brother’s attention for quite a long time. Its art direction and worldbuilding is absolutely engrossing, even for non-players.

Final Fantasy XII's localization is absolutely brilliant, and the cutscenes and script reading were very well-directed (like, the decision to use a lot of people with theatre experience was brilliant). The environments are quite pleasant to look at, sometimes looking like paintings (the colours employed, the shading, the lighting, sometimes it feels like you can see pencil work). I liked the quest structure and the characters (some of the character dynamics between Fran, Balthier, Basch and Ashe worked well to me). And I loved spending a ton of time fighting against Yiazmat and other enemies who have some interesting designs.

Final Fantasy XIII, despite my criticisms about parts of it, is one of the most gorgeous games I’ve played this generation. There are so many places in that game where I'd spend minutes just standing around in one place and rotate the camera around just to get a full look at some of the breathtaking scenery. Looking at the Sunleth Waterscape for the first time (that one area overlooking everything else after one of the cutscenes; I can’t find a pic but people who’ve played the game’ll know what I’m talking about), I just had to sit back in my chair and gasp. So pretty. Sulyya Springs, combined with its BGM, was also just as breathtaking to me. In a way, so was Oerba. SE managed to make the game's setpieces (towns included, like Nautilus—especially Nautilus, and I’m disappointed that you couldn’t revisit it afterwards) and its score so absolutely beautiful.

The PS1 FFs -- I love pre-rendered backgrounds. I’m not sure about how other people feel about them, but when I had posted some of it in this thread before (1, 2, 3), people seemed to really dig them, particularly FF8’s. I've already expanded a little about how I felt about FFIX's setpieces; a lot of them were so colourful and very nice to look at while running around on the map (I recall Conde Petie being one of my favourites along with Terra and Esto Gaza when I first played through the game when I was a kid).

Final Fantasy VII has some really nice setpieces, especially in Midgar (Midgar was probably my favourite environment in FFVII mostly because of its atmosphere; the series essentially went from castles to skyscrapers) and the City of the Ancients. The soundscape for each of those areas enhance them and make them more believable. I can hear "Underneath a Rotting Pizza" and see all the metal and debris strewn about in a slum. I can hear "Opressed People" and think of Wall Market. The music for the City of the Ancients in particular is one of my favourite BGMs in that game. It really is a well-put-together game. I played the PC version completely first so I didn’t get to see a lot of the grammar/spelling errors that a lot of people who played the PS1 version found. I thought the script was fun and quirky at times, and a lot of the characters ended up showing some of their quirk (Barret shooting people up while posing in the mirror in his sailor uniform; Red XIII playing football with some kids; etc), while balancing some of their serious sides.

And I miss h3ro’s old avatar. So much.

RC63b.gif

But I felt like FFVIII's town design went all-out. Esthar was breathtaking (and its BGM Silence and Motion was great), the Lunatic Pandora was nice to look at, Deling City was wonderfully crafted, a lot of the dungeon designs were nice to look at, but I think I like Dollet the most. The sunset landscape makes it looks even more relaxing and prettier, even though The Landing was its prominent BGM early on in the game. FFVIII's soundtrack is also quite great. Balamb Garden is also one of the coolest-looking schools ever because it exhibits such a wonderful colour palette with great lighting. Out of the three PS1 FFs, I have a very hard time deciding which out of FF8 and FF9’s prerendered backgrounds I like the most because they both offer something different to the table.

And I’m thinking about it now, but FFVI does some very cool stuff with Mode 7. I like the colour palette for most of the game. But I can’t help but to feel like I want to compare it with other late SNES games like Terranigma and Chrono Trigger and say that I like the colour palettes in those games a lot better. But with that said, what FFVI did with its sprites in using one sprite for both battle and field, incorporating so many animations for them is amazing. The soundtrack, as mentioned before, is awesome.

Favourites to play on a rainy day: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, FFIV, FFVII

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is one of my favourite FFs just because it's so easy to get through and you can finish it within a day. And the music kicks so much ass. I enjoyed my FFMQ playthrough from this year because I was able to share it with others.

I've played both FFIV and FFVII enough times to know them pretty well without looking at any resources or trying to remember where things are or what to do.

Best soundtracks: Er, all of them? Even X-2’s. I think it’s extremely unfortunate that one of the composers for FFX-2 eventually left VGM composition partially because people hated the X-2 soundtrack. I thought the vocal albums and the International + LM album were really good, as well. The jazzy and lighthearted take in FFX-2’s soundtrack was quite refreshing, and it was a fun soundtrack overall. We also got pieces like Memories of Light and Waves, Besaid, Yuna’s Ballad, and The Farplane Abyss, so you can’t say the soundtrack was all bad even if you didn’t like it.

I could take hours to explain this, and you know I can based on other VGM threads. So I won’t. :lol But if I had to pick my favourite BGM from every FF, it’d be difficult. Like, I’m struggling right now. When I was a teenager, I made it a point to try to pick up as many FF soundtracks I could possibly find in shops/import because I liked the soundscapes so much.

This post does a good job of trying to pull up FF tunes I like but I wish I could fit more into that post! Haha.

The soundtracks are one of the biggest factors for me to enjoy a Final Fantasy game. Most of the time, the music is so lovingly crafted and composed in that it fits so well with its environment. They can communicate majesty, silliness, love, sorrow, confusion, intensity and comfort so well, and I really appreciate FF's music for that. A lot of the tunes seem to be easily recognizable (but that might have to do with the popularity of the series) because a few of my peers have used them for recitals (including myself for vocal and guitar recitals) and presentations, and people have recognized the pieces.

Indifferent towards (this does not mean I dislike them): FFIII, FFXIII/XIII-2, FFI remakes/ports; FF4 is starting to get to this point, actually.

As much as I appreciate FFIII's multiple maps, the implementation of the job system, its soundscape and its towns, I don't really feel much towards FFIII. It's strange. I like it, but it generally feels like once you went to FF5 and later 10-2, it’s just difficult to go back to it, especially since there’s less jobs to work with. However, it’s one of the better-looking NES RPGs out there, and it forced you to experiment with different jobs to get through it rather than brute forcing your way through. I don’t like the DS remake of it because it’s kinda slow, you have odd enemy strength balancing decisions to work with, you have less enemies to fight against in a battle, don’t like how it looks much, etc. It’s just a whole “once you go to a further entry, you can’t really go back” thing. I don’t dislike the game at all.

I generally have an “it's ok/there are times when I get annoyed with it” relationship with FFXIII, though. Perhaps it's because I've played it twice, thought it was ok but not great on my JP playthrough, and ended up figuring it was average on my ENG playthrough. Perhaps it's because I went out my way to get the game's platinum? After a while, playing the game felt like a bit of a chore, especially when you got to the portion of the postgame where killing turtles is essential to getting money and weapons.

But then there are parts of FFXIII that I really enjoyed battle-wise--all three being in postgame (Attacus, Vercingetorix and the Raktavija x 2 battles). Those were the most fun I had in FFXIII, and I wished the rest of the game had been like that. I could modify my optima setups and try different things with each boss to see if they would make the battle even more fun. When I got to the point where I decided not to use the Poison/Tri-Defender strategy on the final mission, I felt really good about it. Or even against Atticus--when I stopped using Defenders in that battle, the battle felt faster-paced, a bit unpredictable and even more intense. That is what I wanted from FFXIII. It is too bad that I had to wait until postgame or two of the main game’s bosses + one form of the final boss for that kind of experience, though. I have expanded on FFXIII's presentation and why I liked it already. I think it’s quite pretty. I’ve… already gone into how I feel about FFXIII-2 in multiple threads so not to drudge the old thing up yet again, I think we’re fine here.

Perhaps I don't feel much towards FFI because FFI vanilla was my first FF game and I don't really care much for it. I did enjoy the AE/Origins of FFI, though, but not as much as other FF games (and I mostly prefer the older Fighter sprites from the NES version because of various reasons).

Dislike: Vanilla FFI NES. Once you play a port/remake, you cannot go back. Origins is much better than the NES version.

Best remake: FFIV DS for the Augment system and extra scenarios.

These are probably my favourite parts of FFIV DS. Rather than playing through FFIV for the billionth time using the same ability growth system and experience the exact same story again (I've played through FFIV on SNES and PSX a lot, so I knew it pretty well), FFIV DS brought a lot of new things to the table. I don't really like the graphics much, but that game played really well. Upping the difficulty a little, introducing augments and including the extra story bits made the game worthwhile and increased the replayability factor.

But as much as I like FFIV DS, I also like FFIVA as well for offering a traditional experience in a new and improved skin. I like both of them, I guess.

…I can’t bring myself to ever play FFIV anymore right now, though. After this playthrough of the SNES version, I’m going to be done for a while. SE, don’t release more versions of FFIV for a while, kplzthx.

Best Spinoffs: Hikari no 4 Senshi: Final Fantasy Gaiden / Final Fantasy: The 4 Warriors of Light and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (and Final Fantasy Tactics)

Hn4S... I really loved it. I didn't think I was going to like it because I was hearing how bad it was from a lot of places. I didn't think not being able to select targets in battle, or having a limited inventory would be great, but these things did not detract from the game to me. FF Gaiden felt a lot like a love letter to older games in the series to me. Akihiko Yoshida's artwork is very wonderful to look at in this game, and Naoshi Mizuta's score hits all the right marks. I wasn't going to import the soundtrack until I heard how great it was in-game.

Final Fantasy Tactics used to be here, but I kind of want to omit it because I feel like the Ivalice Alliance games could probably be its own IP now. FFT was not my first TRPG. I’d played it after I’d played Arc the Lad. I loved the skill/job system evolution allowing for lots of experience with new jobs, and cool extras like a cameo with some FF7 characters. The game is filled with political intrigue with a masterful bombastic Sakimoto soundtrack supporting it throughout battles and dialogue sequences.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is a parody game. I think a few of us came to that conclusion in the anniversary thread. The dialogue can be hilarious because characters cut each other off, people talk to trees, a huge golem decides to use an invisibility spell in an ice dungeon just because, a giant bird runs away from you half the time in a dungeon, a guy on a flying nimbus asks you for 10 GP for coffee, your allies just leave you when you finish a dungeon, the music is excellent, the pacing is alright, and you can skip enemies if you wanted to. Oh, and they decided to not playtest a few of the final bosses in the final dungeon so you can use so many exploits to get rid of them leading to hilarious results. I like FFMQ a lot as a result.

I have not played FFXI that much because I don't have the time or money to invest in an MMO at all (not even when it came out); but from what I’ve played of it, the story’s decent, and the soundscape for the game itself is damn good. My favourite vocal song in the entire series is Distant Worlds, and Mizuta & co don’t get nearly as much credit as they should for the soundtracks for the entire game because the stuff is really damn good.

I have not played FFXIV much either. I’ve played the first version release with my friend’s character for a few hours and the experience was not good at all. I have even less time to consider playing an MMO now, so I don’t think I’m going to jump into this myself at all.

Well.

You did ask for a lengthy post. :p

...Man. Replace every instance of Mystic Quest with Dissidia/Duodecim and Schala's listing is basically mine word for word. ^5.

Though I do have a soft spot for VII because it has my favorite character.

I'll never forget when I went back to the lab after Cloud got his shit together and saw this.

Had to be the most inglorious and brutal death I had seen from a video game at the time.

Top Bottom