• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The truth is out, you like Fighter because of 8bit theater.
What if I prefer the NES release to the ports? Main reason being that the Sky Castle was implied to be a futuristic mechanical fortress left behind by an advanced civilisation... that somehow got lamed out into just another typical and cliché magical structure in the rereleases.

But Fighter is a catchier name.
You should be used to me joking around by now! :( (We don't get to talk about 8-bit Theater in here, so I'm glad someone else picked it up. :p)
8-Bit Theatre was good until the moment they class change. There remain some good jokes here and there but by that point you can tell Brian was trying to get the material over with.

My favourite arc was the Ice Cave though.

You mean they didn't already?

Shine! Bathe in the light! Shine brighter!
Hahaha, that made me laugh! XD

via the latest FF13 thread, was told to post in here, via this tumblr http://textsfromffxiii.tumblr.com/
I love how, if you read through that Tumblr a bit, each character sort of has their own defined new personality: Snow is a total fratboy, Lightning is an alcoholic, Vanille is constantly high/on drugs, Fang is a kinky lesbian who likes to recruit, Sazh is the the old man bewildered by all the crap the young ones are getting up to...wait, I guess Sazh is still the same.

I don't get why they can't confirm that or acknowledge what everyone's thinking.

I think it would be great and kind of interesting for the FF series on that front.
Honestly, a large part of why XIII is my favorite is because I interpret Fang and Vanille as a canon relationship, which makes the narrative so much more interesting and unique compared to other FFs. If they are together in the romantic sense, it's just about the only non-hamfisted relationship in the main series.

Does anyone know how the Japanese FF fandom views Fang and Vanille? Or has anyone involved with the development of the game ever commented on this particular fan reaction to the game? The English fandom seems pretty split between "sisters" and "lesbians." IIRC Fang's English VA has stated that she thinks their relationship is open to interpretation and that the romantic one is valid, though she personally sees them as sisters.

Mxrz

I don't see where they could be seen as anything other than sisters, or whatever the female equivalent of bros is. Until recently, I thought they were actual sisters until I paid attention to their names.

I sort of want to replay FF7. Don't likely have the time, but I can only vaguely remember how the plot went, or anything about the battle system beyond materia and long ass summons being repeated a lot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
long ass summons being repeated a lot.
Do what I do and don't use Summon or Magic materia most of the time. I don't like using summons much in later games because they do take long to initiate attack.

Honestly, a large part of why XIII is my favorite is because I interpret Fang and Vanille as a canon relationship, which makes the narrative so much more interesting and unique compared to other FFs. If they are together in the romantic sense, it's just about the only non-hamfisted relationship in the main series.
I agree with that quite a bit. There aren't a lot of couples in FF that I like. If they were to say that they were romantically involved, it would be a very natural/organic relationship overall.

8-Bit Theatre was good until the moment they class change. There remain some good jokes here and there but by that point you can tell Brian was trying to get the material over with.

My favourite arc was the Ice Cave though.
Definitely agree with the class change part. He'd been working on the comic for so long at that point, so I think he just wanted to finish it off. I didn't like how the class change part happened, really.

Can't pick an arc I liked the most yet, but the Ice Cave arc was pretty damn good. Man, that comic is the reason why sword-chucks is in my vocabulary.

"There's a doomsday cult in the Arctic, you said. We'll slay them and save the world, you said. Let's scout around for them, you said. We won't have to guard our ship, you said. It's not like there's anyone out here to steal it, you said. WHERE'S OUR BOAT, BARRY?"

So uh... I've been attempting to play through XIII after repeated failed attempts, and I've actually been enjoying myself a bit more this time around.

I'm (actually kinda lost) in the Archylte Steppe portion of the game, and it being a huge field with monsters and wildlife roaming around seems really kinda fucking cool. (Even if I can't take any of them on...)

I can't help but feel like I'm terribly prepared for... well, just about anything in the game, really. I don't know if my Weapons/Accessories are adequate for the point in the game where I'm at, or even if my Crystarium is adequately leveled up. Battles seem to take longer than they should for me. Still, I'm glad I did give this a second chance. Now if I could only understand what's going on in the story... >_>

Mxrz

I was surprised by Snow. I figured he'd be the usual annoying jrpg-guy, but after having all the "I'm the hero" junk punched out of him, he seemed likeable. I'd be down for a spin-off centered on him, maybe a buddy cop deal with Sazh. They could just ride around on chocobos while the game blares their themes.

Finally got all the soundtracks to FF1-FF13 in my possession (will have to wait a while for one more soundtrack to arrive). At least I'll have something to listen to and from school this fall

Curse you Theatrhythm and your addictive gameplay!

Thank you Theatrhythm <3

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's so hard to find Theatrhythm. ;_;

jaxword

It's written by a Japanese male and targeted at an otaku audience. You can be a male and do that to your sister and it's fair game.

I don't know what kind of stereotypes you're imagining here about Japan, but no, they don't go around molesting their sisters.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
so i've been writing some final fantasy-ish pieces of music lately if anyone's interested:

'we travel on tiptoes' [field theme]

'brute force' [battle theme]

hope you like them!
Travel on Tiptoes really seems to pick up after a while. I like it when it gets into it.

Brute Force is pretty decent, I like it more than the first one since there seems to be more of a case of progression. Also because I'm more partial to battle themes in the first place, haha.

(btw, your Prepona piece is really good! That's probably my favourite out of the ones I ended up checking out on my own. :D)

What sort of influences did you consider when writing the two FF-esque ones up?

It's so hard to find Theatrhythm. ;_;
I figured it had a low print run... Maybe you might have to import it or buy it new?

It's written by a Japanese male and targeted at an otaku audience. You can be a male and do that to your sister and it's fair game.
What kind of Japanese TV have you been watching? D:

Travel on Tiptoes really seems to pick up after a while. I like it when it gets into it.

Brute Force is pretty decent, I like it more than the first one since there seems to be more of a case of progression. Also because I'm more partial to battle themes in the first place, haha.

(btw, your Prepona piece is really good! That's probably my favourite out of the ones I ended up checking out on my own. :D)

What sort of influences did you consider when writing the two FF-esque ones up?

thank you! battle themes are definitely more fun to listen to & to write. you can really go all out, i had to stop myself from plugging in my guitar & cranking it up loud (the fact i'm no virtuoso may be a part of it too...).

influence wise it was mainly uematsu & hamauzu, but i really enjoy hans zimmer's stuff, as well as trent reznor's film work. that influences my other work, like 'prepona', more but i'd really like to meld the more disperate influences in later stuff.

first one is bitchin'. what did you use to make these?

thank you! i use logic pro 9, with pretty much all the factory samples. i have to fight those to make them sound any decent though haha.

Esura

Banned
Could I run FFXI with these specs?

AMD A4-3320M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2.00 GHz with about 4GB RAM.

I want to run through the story of this game. Prolly take a minute but, eh.

Could I run FFXI with these specs?

AMD A4-3320M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2.00 GHz with about 4GB RAM.

I want to run through the story of this game. Prolly take a minute but, eh.

Yeah, quite easily. It doesn't have any big requirements, to run fluidly at least.

Or you could just watch all the story cutscenes here.

EDIT: If you (or anyone) does want to watch the CS, then follow this order; Nation missions (Windurst, Bastok, San d'Oria) > Zilart Missions > Chains of Promathia/CoP Missions (the best) > Treasures of Aht Urghan/ToAU Missions > Wings of the Goddess/WoTG Missions > Extra.

Chris R

So I couldn't find the XIII |OT| so I figure this is the next best place to ask this... Saw a friend had XIII for his 360, asked if he beat it and he said he didn't. Checked his save and he was at Vanille's fight with Fang against her summon (Hecasomething). I tried to beat it a few times, but it looked like to me he was under leveled for it (didn't have all the different roles unlocked for people, no weapon upgrades, ect).

Were would be the best place to farm for a bit to get some CP before that fight? I'm thinking it shouldn't take much (maybe an hour tops), he just couldn't beat the boss at all in his current state no matter what I did.

Really wanted him to get to where the map opens up since that was pretty much his main complaint about the game so far, and being in Chapter 11 he was close to finishing it anyways.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You do not need secondary roles at all for that battle. You don't even need to upgrade your weapons for it; I did all of the hard late-postgame missions with tier-1 weapons and, believe me, it's better that way. You can get through it easily.

Here:
Vanille/Fang
SAB/SAB* (start with this)
SAB/COM
MED/SEN
RAV/COM
RAV/COM (ATB cancel)
MED/COM (just in case)

All you need to do is showcase how well you've become accustomed to Vanille's first three jobs: SAB, RAV, and MED. That's it. You just need to boost that gauge in the corner. You don't have to take its HP all the way down.

Equip accessories that boost HP, MAG and Earth defense on Vanille at the very least. Equip her Belladonna Wand for better luck with debuffing.

This battle is so easy, but people aren't really used to using Vanille at all, so...

1. Debuff the enemy with Vanille and Fang. I would recommend manual input of abilities. It's weak against Deprotect, Deshell, and Imperil. At least try to stick Deprotect and Imperil on it.
2. After you stick debuffs on it, attack it with RAV/COM and SAB/COM (especially if you're trying to still land debuffs on it). If your friend knows how to ATB Cancel, use it.
3. If it hurts you pretty bad (like, 50% or 60% of your health) switch to MED/SEN or MED/COM and heal up.
4. Rinse and Repeat.

Hecatoncheir's attack pattern is basically:
-stand still (best time to debuff him)
-attack (best time to maybe switch to MED/COM or MED/SEN)
-stand still (attack or debuff him)
-attack (see previous description)
-stand still

...you get the point. His gauge boost depends on what Vanille does in battle.

If you still can't get things done, then the best and easiest place to farm CP at that point, though, is in the cave you were just in. Go back to the beginning of it, and where the path forks. Here's a map; right where it says Juggernaut is where you're supposed to go (but don't fight it yet because you'll get creamed). Just go back and forth along that path to revive the enemies and fight them over and over (the robots and the bombs).

Chris R

For some reason I just thought his Paradigms (and stats) were really lacking, mostly due to him only having 3 roles on Fang and Vanille and dying REALLY fast. Tried to do something similar to your post but I might have just been really rusty from not playing the game in quite some time. Next time I'm over at his place I try that though and see if it doesn't go better.

Mario007

So I couldn't find the XIII |OT| so I figure this is the next best place to ask this... Saw a friend had XIII for his 360, asked if he beat it and he said he didn't. Checked his save and he was at Vanille's fight with Fang against her summon (Hecasomething). I tried to beat it a few times, but it looked like to me he was under leveled for it (didn't have all the different roles unlocked for people, no weapon upgrades, ect).

Were would be the best place to farm for a bit to get some CP before that fight? I'm thinking it shouldn't take much (maybe an hour tops), he just couldn't beat the boss at all in his current state no matter what I did.

Really wanted him to get to where the map opens up since that was pretty much his main complaint about the game so far, and being in Chapter 11 he was close to finishing it anyways.

There a battle between behomoth and that huge wolf thingy outside of that cave at Archyllette Steppe. You get a pre-emptive strike on them everytime. It should net you 6600 CP for a one minute fight.

There a battle between behomoth and that huge wolf thingy outside of that cave at Archyllette Steppe. You get a pre-emptive strike on them everytime. It should net you 6600 CP for a one minute fight.

you can get double CP if you have the egg. it's extra tedious but it's best way. At high level , you will spend 14 sec by fight

I'm about to start FFVI on the Vita!
Confession time, VI is the only FF game I haven't put a considerable amount of time into, I've never completed it, and don't remember a whole lot of what I did play back in the day.
I'm an FFVII kid and VI seems to be the elusive one I've not really gone back and experienced.
Any tips? Any items/characters that I can miss?

Might as well post here too.

Hmm a question. Did anyone tried playing the NTSC FF13-2 on asia xbox360?

Play Asia list it as compatible but i cannot see any others sources.
I ordered the game but have not pay via pay pal yet.

http://www.play-asia.com/Final_Fanta...n-70-4581.html( not a affiliate link)

lol new ff news get to me ..........

Or should i wait till i buy a new ps3 and play the us version on that instead?

I'm about to start FFVI on the Vita!
Confession time, VI is the only FF game I haven't put a considerable amount of time into, I've never completed it, and don't remember a whole lot of what I did play back in the day.
I'm an FFVII kid and VI seems to be the elusive one I've not really gone back and experienced.
Any tips? Any items/characters that I can miss?

I tried to play this and couldn't. 2-3 seconds to reach the menu screen? INTOLERABLE

creid

Holy shit, Yoshitaka Amano is going to be at New York Comic Con. I've already got Sky: The Art of FF on order at amazon, hope I won't have to buy a copy at the con to get an autograph...

Yoshitaka Amano
Best known for: The Art of Final Fantasy, Time Bokan & Gatchaman

Appearing: Friday & Saturday

Yoshitaka Amano, born in 1952 in Shizuoka, Japan, got his start as an illustrator working as a character designer at Tatsunoko Productions in the 1960s. At Tatsunoko, he lent his pen and spirit to create the looks of such iconic anime series as Gatchaman and Time Bokan. In the 1980s, Amano begin his work on Final Fantasy, creating the visuals of the ever-evolving series's characters and worlds, and Vampire Hunter D, defining the appearance of the world-famous vampire slayer. Amano's work began to attract serious international acclaim in the next decade, and the 1990s saw the start of global exhibitions of Amano's creations in cities including New York, Los Angeles, France, Germany, and Hong Kong. The year 2000 saw Amano -- now known the world over -- partnering with Neil Gaiman for the Eisner-Award Winning Sandman: The Dream Hunters. At present, Amano is at work on a computer-generated film, Deva Zan. Amano's appearance at New York Comic Con is in partnership with Dark Horse Comics, who will release The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy, a giant-sized collection of Amano's art, on October 17.

link

Nemesis_

so Theatrhythm made me want to play Dissidia.

Dissidia made me want to play every Final Fantasy again.

I made a compromise and bought VI, VII, VIII and IX on my Vita.

Currently playing through IX again, and absolutely loving it. I think it might be my favourite Final Fantasy. It seems to strike that perfect balance between annoying depressing storylines and happy-go-lucky party banter and such.

If that makes any sense.

Cannot wait to get back into VI again after this (since it's been SO LONG) and to a lesser extend VIII and especially VII which I don't care for at all

*prepares shield*

I don't miss random battles :lol That shit is ridiculous at points!

Speaking of random battles, I'm playing FF VI right now.

This shit is ridiculous.

The encounter rate is so bad I thought it was some kind of anti-piracy measure at one point.

I don't remember it being this bad in later FFs, I don't know if it's just the GBA version or what.

I was struggling to keep playing until I got to the opera house and got caught up in it all.

Love these characters man, especially the Figaro bros.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Holy shit, Yoshitaka Amano is going to be at New York Comic Con. I've already got Sky: The Art of FF on order at amazon, hope I won't have to buy a copy at the con to get an autograph...

link

OMG, where can I pre-order that artbook?
edit. just got it from Amazon.co.uk &#8211; damn Final Fantasy, Ultimate Box and now this. My wallet is empty T.T

Shinta

Banned
OMG, where can I pre-order that artbook?
edit. just got it from Amazon.co.uk – damn Final Fantasy, Ultimate Box and now this. My wallet is empty T.T

I pre-ordered as well. It's just too good of a deal really. The box looks great.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ugh, I wish I jumped on that, tbh. I was waiting until October when I wasn't going to spend money on an import and textbooks/tuition, but... ah well. I have Dawn and some of his other books so it's fine. I bought a bunch of art books last year so I should probably take a break from it, really. :lol

Moving on, Regulus Tera is a bad person because I'm re-reading 8-bit Theater again. It's all your fault.

Related: when I was a preteen/in my early teens, I didn't think much of lengthy wait times, but I completely relate to this now.

Meccanical said:
The encounter rate is so bad I thought it was some kind of anti-piracy measure at one point.
Nah. FF6's encounter rate seems fine in a general sense. I think most of the FFs have alright encounter rates.

It's some older games on NES and stuff like Beyond the Beyond that generally get on my nerves. Black Sigil on DS is a good example of a recent game with ridiculous encounter rates.

Maybe I just don't have the patience for random battles anymore.

I mean, finishing up a battle, taking two steps and immediately getting into another one is not fun.

It's not like FF6 has a super exciting battle system either.

But as I said, it doesn't hurt the game too much.

Noi

Nah. FF6's encounter rate seems fine in a general sense. I think most of the FFs have alright encounter rates.

It's some older games on NES and stuff like Beyond the Beyond that generally get on my nerves. Black Sigil on DS is a good example of a recent game with ridiculous encounter rates.

Maybe I just don't have the patience for random battles anymore.

I mean, finishing up a battle, taking two steps and immediately getting into another one is not fun.

It's not like FF6 has a super exciting battle system either.

But as I said, it doesn't hurt the game too much.

Looking back when I played it for the first time a while back, this actually was kind of annoyance to me. It'd be less of a problem if the game had variety in it's enemy encounters, but getting the exact same enemy group 4-5 times in a row whether I ran or fought them made some of the mid-late dungeons an utter drag. That combined with those dungeons usually being caves (thus re-using the same cave tilesets over and over) made me loathe random battles in FF6 slightly more than I usually do. I wouldn't be surprised if more than one location only had 2-3 different exact enemy encounters placed in and nothing more.

I feel so alone in my love for the FFXIII games.

Plenty of people like the XIII games, myself included. I just wouldn't rank it as high as I do other games in the series.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well, I'm not ashamed to say I enjoyed FFXIII and liked the graphics. It's not the best but I had fun. I had low expectations though so it probably helped out a bit.

Top Bottom