• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

(Is it okay to tangentially talk about non-FF Square games occasionally?)

I hope so because I want to gush about Vagrant Story.

I've started Vagrant Story now. I know several people who loathe the battle mechanics but love the story.

I love Smith's translation work as usual.

I see you do too!

I can't play that game for shit but I just finished watching all the cutscenes and boss fights on youtube and it's good every time.

Some of the best writing and cutscene direction in the biz EVEN TODAY.

So good.

CorvoSol

What does it counter with? Sounds like a stupid challenge...I must try it!

Some Poison-Ice attack that inflicts Sap on the party and deals ridiculous damage. EVEN AT LEVEL 40, the level cap, this thing is tedious.

I keep telling people that man.

People don't seem to appreciate/remember how goofy this game really was, and I loved that about it.

I just beat 7 the other day. It's so different from the reputation people attach to it.

Wazzy

Banned
Most of VIII's cast acted pretty goofy, even Squall. I enjoyed it because they didn't take themselves completely seriously all throughout the game. I forgot to add Zell, Raijin and Fuujin as also being goofy throughout.

I always enjoyed when Squall would have his little joke moments, like telling Dr.Kadowaki that Rinoa was his girlfriend or just picking on Zell with Selphie.

I've started Vagrant Story now. I know several people who loathe the battle mechanics but love the story.

I love Smith's translation work as usual.

I've also started Vagrant Story and I love it. The battle system is really hard to enjoy but the music, story and characters are fantastic. I really need to finish it.

Seda

Think it's fine, but you can always resort to a LTTP thread to add more recognition to your posts.

I play so many games LTTP that if I were to make a thread on each one I want to make some quick comments on I'd be making 3/4 a month.

I also don't have much to say about it, and don't really care about visibility or recognition.

I hope so because I want to gush about Vagrant Story.

I see you do too!

I can't play that game for shit but I just finished watching all the cutscenes and boss fights on youtube and it's good every time.

Some of the best writing and cutscene direction in the biz EVEN TODAY.

So good.

I never doubted the writing/dialogue, but even just after the opening, I can agree with you on the cutscene direction. Some cool 'camera angles' especially.

Battle system does seem a bit wonky though, I'll have to get used to it.

Narolf

Banned
Advent Children ruined everything.

/oldmanyellingatcloud

More like.

Aj0KHvc.jpg
image.php

I also have to get used to O-Confirm X-Cancel again
KuGsj.gif

Yeah that threw me off.

Here's a special story, when I was young and I played FF7 for the first time, I could not beat the first fight because I had no idea how to select commands.

It would be literally months before I picked it up again and figured out how to actually play the game.

rataven

I often forget about Laguna, which I shouldn't because he was one of the only things I enjoyed about that game.

Laguna is precious; definitely my favorite part about VIII too. And I love that he made the cut for Duodecim; while he was kind of a terrible fighter, his Ex Burst made up for all that, by way of being both awesome and hilarious (GREATEST ATTACK EVER!!!). And then there's the greatest FF crack pairing of all time with him and Cloud of Darkness. It's SO bizarre and makes NO sense, but who cares because it is magical.

This dude deserved his own game. I am still so bitter that he wasn't the lead protag in VIII.

I keep telling people that man.

People don't seem to appreciate/remember how goofy this game really was, and I loved that about it.

Yeah, it's really a breath of fresh air after a majority of S-E's output this gen. You damn sure wouldn't see talking finger cursors in a current gen FF game.

Wazzy

Banned
This dude deserved his own game. I am still so bitter that he wasn't the lead protag in VIII.
Laguna deserves his own game for sure, but as a prequel. I would never have wanted him as the protagonist in VIII, it wouldn't have fit the story. I'd love to play as him back in the sorceress war and have a game taking place back then. It would offer a lot of development to side characters like Caraway, Ellone, Julia, Raine, etc.

rataven

Laguna deserves his own game for sure, but as a prequel. I would never have wanted him as the protagonist in VIII, it wouldn't have fit the story. I'd love to play as him back in the sorceress war and have a game taking place back then. It would offer a lot of development to side characters like Caraway, Ellone, Julia, Raine, etc.

Well, I might be wrong or completely mis-remembering, but I seem to recall that at one point in VIII's development, Laguna was intended to be an equal co-lead, but ultimately had his story cut down in favor of Squall's, and I'll just be honest here, I do not like Squall. Or Rinoa. Because they are INSANE. But Laguna was a lot of fun and his romance with Raine seemed really touching, enough so that I think if he'd had the chance to carry VIII, it could have been something a little more special. Or mature? I don't know. Just nuke the Squall stuff and rework the story to fit what you describe for the prequel, and there you have it -- my dream version of VIII.

Xux

W00t managed to track down a PSP. Grabbed Duodecim and BBS.

...gonna try and track down a Memory Stick tomorrow, lol.

Dissidia's pretty neat. Wish Kuja didn't target the camera with his HP attack, though.

Seda

I don't really like FFVIII's characters, battle/junction/draw system and the overall plot is a mess, but I did like some of the scenarios individually: the Sorceress Assassination attempt, the Gardens duel, Laguna missions.

CorvoSol

I don't really like FFVIII's characters, battle/junction/draw system and the overall plot is a mess, but I did like some of the scenarios individually: the Sorceress Assassination attempt, the Gardens duel, Laguna missions.

VIII is all about its presentation.

Wazzy

Banned
Well, I might be wrong or completely mis-remembering, but I seem to recall that at one point in VIII's development, Laguna was intended to be an equal co-lead, but ultimately had his story cut down in favor of Squall's, and I'll just be honest here, I do not like Squall. Or Rinoa. Because they are INSANE. But Laguna was a lot of fun and his romance with Raine seemed really touching, enough so that I think if he'd had the chance to carry VIII, it could have been something a little more special. Or mature? I don't know. Just nuke the Squall stuff and rework the story to fit what you describe for the prequel, and there you have it -- my dream version of VIII.
I'll have to agree to disagree. While I like Laguna, I find Squall way more compelling and interesting, especially since he gets the bulk of development. Laguna was still a huge part of the game so the only thing I could see being cut was him dealing with being Squall's dad and Raines passing.

Either way, it's still possible for you to have your dream VIII while keeping the original that lot's of people adore. Laguna prequel game. It won't happen but if it ever did, there you go.

Ravage

I agree that Draw is a horrible mechanic but what's wrong with the Junction system? Unnecessary complications aside, it allows for full customization of stats and abilities. A very forward-thinking innovation imo.

I agree that Draw is a horrible mechanic but what's wrong with the Junction system? Unnecessary complications aside, it allows for full customization of stats and abilities. A very forward-thinking innovation imo.

I loved the junction system, if only for the way in which it could be massively abused. Not to mention, it's quite a flexible system in allowing you to set yourself various difficulty challenges. I suppose to veterans, the draw system is ancillary, and magic can be efficiently gathered from other much quicker sources. It's such a quirky system, but I'm really fond of those strange quirks.

Ravage

I loved the junction system, if only for the way in which it could be massively abused. Not to mention, it's quite a flexible system in allowing you to set yourself various difficulty challenges. I suppose to veterans, the draw system is ancillary, and magic can be efficiently gathered from other much quicker sources. It's such a quirky system, but I'm really fond of those strange quirks.

Yea i love the synergy it has with TripleTriad(Card Mod + Magic Refine), powering up your characters via Junction is way more effective than straight leveling.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
VIII is all about its presentation.

FFVIII had fantastic music. I dunno but I seem to like all the pieces, especially the battle ones and the cheesy romantic ones.

Of course, some won't agree with me and throw me FFX's and FFVI's OST (which are fantastic too btw).

Speaking of OSTs, I seem to realize that I like XII and IX the least. XII had quite a number of unmemorable tracks (but had gems like Eruyt Village, Royal City of Rabanastre, and To the Place of the Gods to name a few) whereas IX was kind of disjointed and too peppy (but the town music were great).

SougoXIII

Well I always hate it for making your top level magic obsolete since every junctioned magic you use will make you weaker, stat-wise, so throughout the whole game, I didn't touch any form of magic even once.

Tizoc

Final Fantasy XIII progress report #6
OK about to fight Bart, spent a little time grinding and have all crystariums nearly maxed out for everyone.
Bart can be debuffed when he's staggered so I'll go as Fang+Light+Vanille.

Narolf

Banned
Wish Kuja didn't target the camera with his HP attack, though.

Which attack are you referring to, exactly? I can't think of any that fits your description. Kuja can move around in everything he does, except when it comes to Flare Star and Seraphic Star, wherein his constant motion hits inertia by the end of the move for one second or so.

CorvoSol

FFVIII had fantastic music. I dunno but I seem to like all the pieces, especially the battle ones and the cheesy romantic ones.

Of course, some won't agree with me and throw me FFX's and FFVI's OST (which are fantastic too btw).

Speaking of OSTs, I seem to realize that I like XII and IX the least. XII had quite a number of unmemorable tracks (but had gems like Eruyt Village, Royal City of Rabanastre, and To the Place of the Gods to name a few) whereas IX was kind of disjointed and too peppy (but the town music were great).

X and VI I would say probably have the BEST OSTs, but VIII and VII still had wonderful ones. IV and V have some very iconic tracks (Golbez, Gilgamesh in particular), and IX had some catchy tunes (Kuja's theme, Vammo Alla Flamenco).

But XII's OST is hands down the worst OST since II. You have a game set in IVALICE, home of FFT's magnificent OST, and what do you do? Give us the on-hold-on-the-phone version of it.

And . . . as much as I loved XIII's OST, I have to confess that I think Saber's Edge is a horrible boss theme (it's just some guy noodling around on a keyboard!) and Nascent Requiem is an incredibly disappointing final boss theme. Note I think Barthandelus' theme was okay, but ultimately, Caius' theme stomps the hell out of most of the villain music from XIII.

I used to swing my wooden sword and pretend it was sending out a beam and go "Yes, indeed!"

CorvoSol

it's just some guy noodling around on a keyboard!

Same as the great majority of Uematsu's tracks, really.

1. No, shut up that's stupid.
2. No, how does that even.
3. No, shut up that's stupid.

I like you Narolf, but what you've said makes no damn sense. The boss themes in NONE of the first 6 Final Fantasy games sound ANYTHING like noodling on piano. Saber's Edge, on the other hand, IS noodling on a piano. And I'm not even trying to knock the majority of XIII's OST. There are a lot of good songs in that game.

But where in the flipping fluck do we get the idea that the great majority of Uematsu's tracks are him noodling on a piano? Sure, he likes Piano, but Shimomura likes Violin. Doesn't mean anything is noodling on one. The songs have clear tunes going through them. But Saber's Edge is a baseline and a guy noodlin' around on a piano.

Maybe if we're talking the Black Mages, but even then, I cast your entire claim into doubt.

Wazzy

Banned
I would put VIII and VI as the best followed by X and Tactics.

I really liked XIII's OST and thought it was one of the more enjoyable things about the game. Sabers Edge is great but if I'm being honest, I only like the buildup and once it hits it's peak, the song get's a little dull.

Narolf

Banned
Corvo, you just aren't being fair towards Saber's Edge and Hamauzu to some extent, granted Final Fantasy's music has always been nothing but that -- wave-table. We could always argue over the legitimacy of Saber's Edge as a creative piece of music, but that would be besides the point. I personally think it's a diamond in a pool of rusty metals. It really stands out as a boss battle music thanks to how slow-pace it is.

Love you too by the way, and you won't ever see me making enemies out of people just because they don't fall in line with me, moreover when arts are the matter at hand. Still, I can see where you're coming from since I might have given off a wrong impression by exposing my vendetta against DissidiaForums. Those guys ought to be taken onto another level. No chance I ever get to abhor my fellow GAFfers.

rataven

My favorite OSTs are probably VI, VII, IX, X, and XIII/XIII-2 (collectively, because they both have Gapra Whitewood and how can you not), with VI, VII and X as 'best'.

The funny thing about FF OSTs, and moreso than other game soundtracks, is that I have a hard time judging them outside of their respective games. Like, maybe IX's OST isn't all that great, maybe, but the game has so many memorable moments, and the OST makes me think of those moments, that I can't help but love it. The opposite is also true of FFs I'm less fond of. It's probably some Pavlovian thing going on, but whatevs.

XII's is the odd one out, because while I adore the game, the OST is a snoozefest.

CorvoSol

Corvo, you just aren't being fair towards Saber's Edge and Hamauzu to some extent, granted Final Fantasy's music has always been nothing but that -- wave-table. We could always argue over the legitimacy of Saber's Edge as a creative piece of music, but that would be besides the point. I personally think it's a diamond in a pool of rusty metals. It really stands out as a boss battle music thanks to how slow-pace it is.

Love you too by the way, and you won't ever see me making enemies out of people just because they don't fall in line with me, moreover when arts are the matter at hand. Still, I can see where you're coming from since I might have given off a wrong impression by exposing my vendetta against DissidiaForums. Those guys ought to be taken onto another level. No chance I ever get to abhor my fellow GAFfers.

I think I'm being plenty fair. Blinded by Light, Sunleth Waterway, Archelytte Steppe, Paddra, Barthandelus' theme are all great pieces. Heck, even Snow's theme is good. Saber's Edge and Nascent Requiem are just really boring pieces, and Saber's Edge is just a dude piano noodling.

My favorite OSTs are probably VI, VII, IX, X, and XIII/XIII-2 (collectively, because they both have Gapra Whitewood and how can you not), with VI, VII and X as 'best'.

The funny thing about FF OSTs, and moreso than other game soundtracks, is that I have a hard time judging them outside of their respective games. Like, maybe IX's OST isn't all that great, maybe, but the game has so many memorable moments, and the OST makes me think of those moments, that I can't help but love it. The opposite is also true of FFs I'm less fond of. It's probably some Pavlovian thing going on, but whatevs.

XII's is the odd one out, because while I adore the game, the OST is a snoozefest.
Really can't disagree with this sorta logic.

Xux

Which attack are you referring to, exactly? I can't think of any that fits your description. Kuja can move around in everything he does, except when it comes to Flare Star and Seraphic Star, wherein his constant motion hits inertia by the end of the move for one second or so.
Seraphic Star; the AI seems to space it perfectly to shoot it behind my character and the camera so I can't judge if I'm far enough away or if I have to dash away from it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Narolf

Banned
Seraphic Star; the AI seems to space it perfectly to shoot it behind my character and the camera so I can't judge if I'm far enough away or if I have to dash away from it.

Yeah, it's the trickiest spell to use in the game. Try zooming in by pressing Down on your D-pad. Should make targeting easier.

These Twitter FF plot summaries are making me laugh pretty hard:

FF5: You fight an evil space wizard who is trying to destroy your universe. Crystals. Turns out he’s a tree, but you kill him anyway.

FF6: A menacing clown steals all of the magic in the world. Then he destroys the world. You kill him, but he still destroyed the world.

FF8: There's a witch. Turns out she's working for another witch on the moon. Turns out that witch is working for another witch in the future

FF9: Someone starts a war. He has a tail. You have a tail. You're from a planet where everyone has tails. They crash their planet into yours

FF10: You're the dream of a dream of a dead city. So was your dad. Your dad's a monster. You kill your dad, save the world. You don't exist.

Top Bottom