• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

jaxword

That was a creepy emporer.

Yeah, he kinda WOULD have made the prequels creepier if he came mincing at Obi-Wan.

G61k6CH.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Final Fantasy XIII:
You get "chosen", you run away from the Cocoon bad guys to another planet, you decide to fulfill your mission and kill the core of the Cocoon.

FFXII: Watch Star Wars again.

Rabanastre = Naboo
Bhujerba = Cloud City
Archadia = Coruscant

Balthier = Han Solo
Fran = Chewbacca
Ashe = Princess Leia
Vaan = Luke Skywalker

Kinda uncanny actually.

Narolf

Banned
Ad hominem. Starting here...
Well, everything you said was wrong, but more to the point, it's ignorant as can be. We're talking MARIO here. The series with the most variety of all video games ever. Do you want an FPS Mario? THERE IS one. Educational? THERE IS ONE. RPG? GOT THAT. ANY KIND OF SPORT? YEAH WE HAVE ALL OF THEM. RACING? YUP. Platforming? YOU BETCHA.

And here you are, bitching because the formula is somehow stale. Mario is all-encompassing. But let's pretend that somehow, your inevitably bitchy response "But I'm only talking about platformers!" is in any way valid. Understand, first, that I'm entertaining that more for when Jaxword comes along to argue with me than I am pretending anything you say is in any way valid.

Now, as I was saying Looking at JUST the platformers. You have literally shot yourself into a goddamn corner on this one. Sure, you can say Mario Galaxy is about collecting coins and stars and shizz, but then, you can also say ANY Final Fantasy is about collecting swords, fighting monsters and saving the world. Boiling a game down to its end goal is perhaps the most asinine form of appraisal of all time.

But beyond that, there's the hilariously incorrect claim that Mario Galaxy is 1)bite-sized levels and 2)somehow smaller than Mario Sunshine. Which is stunning, because Sunshine really DOES include "bite-sized" levels in terms of the levels without the FLUDD. What makes these levels noteworthy isn't length though, but difficulty. A platformer isn't about bloating the goddamn game with huge open worlds. It's about delivering a neat, tidy, platform jumping experience, which Mario Galaxy does.

Nevermind the fact that there are a plethora of courses between Galaxy 1 and 2 that are deviations from jumping in "gravity" as you so pin-headedly describe it, but about surfing around, flying on some bird thing, or rolling around on a giant marble. Forget all that for a moment and consider the fact that Galaxy delivers variety even as a platformer. There are huge differences between levels like Bowser's Castle and Purple Coins on Luigi. The Gusty Garden Galaxy isn't the same as The Perfect Run.

You know where this all shrivels up and dies and hopefully your posts with it, though? The fact that 13 wasn't meant to not have towns. They didn't CHOOSE to not include towns. They just fucked up so much during production that nobody bothered to make them. This is a game that HAD NO DISTINCT AGREEMENT UPON ITS FORM UNTIL AFTER THE DEMO CAME OUT. MERE MONTHS BEFORE THE GAME ACTUALLY LAUNCHED.

XIII is a horrible waste of potential and a foulup only overshadowed by XIV's magnificent crash shortly afterward.

Nothing about how crappy XIII is is some manner of styllistic suck. They didn't CHOOSE not to have towns, or back tracking, or a coherent plot, or the ability to turn left or right, or anything to that effect. They just plain screwed up.

frequency

This is kind of off topic and I don't know the context of that post but... If what he says about FFXIII is true, then I have to give Square even more credit as a developer for making one of my favourite games in the series seemingly by mistake.

But I know that is not a very popular opinion.

This is kind of off topic and I don't know the context of that post but... If what he says about FFXIII is true, then I have to give Square even more credit as a developer for making one of my favourite games in the series seemingly by mistake.

But I know that is not a very popular opinion.
Haha, same here! Though when I think about how much better XIII could have been in many respects, it hurts. :-(

rataven

These Twitter FF plot summaries are making me laugh pretty hard:

Oh wow, these are great. And scary in how accurately 140 characters can summarize FF plots.

Only one I'd argue with, because it is RAINING frogs on the Archylte Steppe. These are the useless things you learn when grinding for Power Crystals.

Also, this tweet

killed me. Muppet babies, lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
did someone equate ff13-2 to chrono trigger

For some reason, my mind couldn't take that and just went blank. It's like those machines I was using to test samples today and one of the strips was placed there incorrectly so it printed "ERROR ERROR ERROR" on the slip.

Anyway, I'm gonna miss Corvo's posts in the FF anniversary thread for now (wonder how long the ban is). He's one of those people who kept the anniversary playthrough thread alive (and that's one of my favourite threads ever). I guess I've gotta pick up the slack for a bit with my FF6 playthrough. It's hard to crack jokes about FF6, though. It's either that, or I burnt myself out with FF4's playthrough. I just find myself talking about its game structure, how stats don't level up at the beginning, name etymology, or even enemy code scripts most of the time.

This is unedited (and incomplete), but this is the sort of thing I'm talking about:

LuoxveN.png

So these are the same things we fought when we were invading Narshe with Terra, Vicks, and Wedge. The thing is that they kind of nerfed the monsters a little bit and coded parts of these monsters’ scripts to make it easier on us when we first started the game. Now that we have party members that are stronger than the initial party member set, all of these monsters’ skills are unlocked (so basically they can use their entire script because they are no longer limited by the levels your party have) and they can go to town on you if you’re not careful.

The Vomammoths are a good example of this: they cannot cast Blizzard if people in your party are under Level 5. Considering everyone is now level 5 and up, they can finally cast it on its first turn (that’s the first check the script actually does). On its second turn it can decide based on percentages what it does (attack, Bear Claw, nothing). They can only cast Blizzard once since they don’t have enough MP for a second cast.

I guess Lobos are another good example of this. So, we’re now greater than Level 7, which means they can use another attack they weren’t able to before: Tusk. They won’t always use it, though, because it’s a probability sorta thing in their script.

6wsjPhq.png

Because Mog fought in a cave, he learns Dusk Requiem. No, I don’t know why “requiem” is spelled wrong.

I should be cracking jokes. I've gone through 7 Times New Roman, 12-pt font pages of barely cracking a joke.

It feels bad.

Ultratech

Yeah, he kinda WOULD have made the prequels creepier if he came mincing at Obi-Wan.

G61k6CH.jpg

Definitely would've been weird...lol

In fairness, he did somehow beat Satan to take over all of Hell.

You won't find that shit in Star Wars, and it still boggles my mind as to how he managed to do it.

Also, RIP Corvo. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We'll keep Corvo's spirit alive with FF6 references.

http://i.imgur.com/c3JihMB.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Was planning on using this one when the time came. Loved it.

[quote="Meccanical, post: 47400814"]You can crack all the jokes you want once you suplex the train.[/QUOTE]
At least Locke's there for [I]some[/I] wise cracks. I think the reasons why it's hard for me to joke around with it is because I'd only played it when I was a teenager and that wasn't too long ago, and I haven't played it as much as I have other FFs so I do not know a lot of stuff like the back of my hand outside of the notes I've jotted down or stuff I picked up.

If it were something like FF4, FF7, FF8, or even FF1, it's easier to come up with humorous LP material for them. Maybe FF9 because it's so goofy. But half the time I feel like I'm complaining about FF6. I guess it's because half the time I feel like I'm poking at something that seems to be considered a sacred cow on several different fora and it's something I somewhat feel bad about and I feel like I should hold back, but it really isn't like that (ie: I don't feel like I'm being critical) because I think it's a reasonably good, but flawed, game.

Tizoc

Final Fantasy XIII progress report #7
Right so I've done a lot since my last entry...sorta =P
Made it to Gran Pulse and just got a Chocobo, gotta say its not as hard as I thought. Granted some Marks and enemies made me waste Phoenix Downs (I need to restock on those...), but overall I'm doing fine. I'm using Fang+Vanile+Light, with Fang on point as a COM. I'll prob. start buying some Sash after I do a little treasure digging and item box searching with the chocobo, after that I'll go on to finish some more Cie'th mission battles then move on Tenjin's Tower.
I'm upgrading my stats every 50,000 CP atm~

Bladenic

Was planning on using this one when the time came. Loved it.

At least Locke's there for some wise cracks. I think the reasons why it's hard for me to joke around with it is because I'd only played it when I was a teenager and that wasn't too long ago, and I haven't played it as much as I have other FFs so I do not know a lot of stuff like the back of my hand outside of the notes I've jotted down or stuff I picked up.

If it were something like FF4, FF7, FF8, or even FF1, it's easier to come up with humorous LP material for them. Maybe FF9 because it's so goofy. But half the time I feel like I'm complaining about FF6. I guess it's because half the time I feel like I'm poking at something that seems to be considered a sacred cow on several different fora and it's something I somewhat feel bad about and I feel like I should hold back, but it really isn't like that (ie: I don't feel like I'm being critical) because I think it's a reasonably good, but flawed, game.

Why are you playing the SNES version though?

SougoXIII

Because it's the first version I beat, plus I like the font better.

And it has the scene where Celes gets slapped in it.

btw, I can't wait to rid myself of this avatar.

Oh that avatar is not by choice I see! Seriously though, where did you find something like that? Since I'm pretty sure I'm going to see it in my nightmares.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I should have added a stipulation where insulting FF6 or 4, earns you another week!

why do you dislike 6 again?
This isn't a bet. This is me taking the fall because we never outlined what happened if qq won. I'm not one to make bets anyway, and I just make them with kayos because he generally bets against things that are easily predictable. :p

I don't dislike 6 now. I was just a stubborn kid when I was little and disliked it a lot back then.

Oh that avatar is not by choice I see! Seriously though, where did you find something like that? Since I'm pretty sure I'm going to see it in my nightmares.
It's Rosa's chibi art from FF4. It's official.

You think this is scary? Have you seen the Nintendo Power stuff?

This isn't a bet. This is me taking the fall because we never outlined what happened if qq won. I'm not one to make bets anyway, and I just make them with kayos because he generally bets against things that are easily predictable. :p

I don't dislike 6 now. I was just a stubborn kid when I was little and disliked it a lot back then.

I'll suck you into another bet somehow!

And I wish you would change your tune on IV.

SougoXIII

Wait... this is... official? How high were the artist when he says 'Yep. This is a perfect representation of our character.'?

As for FF6, the pure gushing from old fans made me wary of it. I never manage to finish it when I was little -
I got to the part where Kefka exposed Celes to the party and they have to escape an exploding factory
- my save data got corrupted and I ragequited ever since. From what I have played though, I can't say that the game have got me hook.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm glad I never talked to you about an avatar bet. :p
I thought your losing avatar from A Pretty Panda was worse. :lol

Some Nintendo Power art in this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41469346&postcount=2673

Oh. Hey. Do you guys wanna see something cool? Here’s Palom and Porom’s Nintendo Power artwork.

Kill it with fire.

Here’s Abe’s Nintendo Power and SD Art, btw.

I think the SD art looks better. WTF is up with that Terada art, though. It’s like he’s a statue. He has no colour. Just old and gre--hahahaha. I see it now.

This is Batman’s Nintendo Power art. He has no pants.

This is his artwork, including his Nintendo Power artwork.

Rest of it's in my FF4 playthrough somewhere.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait... this is... official? How high were the artist when he says 'Yep. This is a perfect representation of our character.'?

As for FF6, the pure gushing from old fans made me wary of it. I never manage to finish it when I was little -
I got to the part where Kefka exposed Celes to the party and they have to escape an exploding factory
- my save data got corrupted and I ragequited ever since. From what I have played though, I can't say that the game have got me hook.
I think they're supposed to be demonstrative of the battle sprites, but it's SD art. It had an older version from the original FF4 release, and the newer version (this one) is from a trading card, iirc.

Well, I hated FF6 when I was a kid (because I was unreasonably stubborn), but came around to it when I ended up buying my own SNES cart as a teenager. Like I said in the SE thread, there are times when I genuinely like some of the characterization and the presentation, but then there are others when I think it's a great game but I'm largely indifferent to it (like now, for example). There are a few things I don't really like about the game that could be considered as nitpicking, but I think Beef did a good job with regards to making a thread about why he overall doesn't care for the game at all.

I'll suck you into another bet somehow!

And I wish you would change your tune on IV.
never.jpg

Thank you Dark Schala, for adding to my nightmare fuels.
Terada was clearly thinking of a Roman soldier when he was designing Kain and probably forgot halfway.

At least his Zelda artwork for Nintendo power was really good!

Heropon

Kain the Lizard Knight and the semi-bald kids are going to appear in my nightmares from now on until I forget about them again. *shudders*

jaxword

I should have added a stipulation where insulting FF6 or 4, earns you another week!

why do you dislike 6 again?

6 is very overrated. It's a good game, but the fact people deliberately overlook its flaws in the usual "current FFs are nothing like the older" arguments is a little annoying.

To put it another way, FF6 has just as many silly and stupid parts as any of the current, in dialogue and plot, but those are always forgotten in the wake of Laughing Scenes and Moms are Tough.

Oh I don't overlook its flaws, like the underdeveloped characters, the terribly baby like difficulty or how unfocused it becomes after a midway point of the game. It has its silly points, I'll grant you that!

SougoXIII

So a slight tangential question: I just got FFV from PSN and the game is incredibly slow on my Vita. It's even slower than the GBA version that I played a couple of years ago. Is this suppose to happened? Am I better off playing the GBA version than this?

So a slight tangential question: I just got FFV from PSN and the game is incredibly slow on my Vita. It's even slower than the GBA version that I played a couple of years ago. Is this suppose to happened? Am I better off playing the GBA version than this?

The GBA version is the definitive version, so yes you're better off playing it.

It's a shame we waited all these years to get the Final Fantasy considered one of the greatest in the series and the port was just lazy. I mean it's cool we finally got it but come on Squeenix! I remember reading Expert Gamer (Or whatever the magazine was called) and being amazed at how cool some of the bosses looked.

Top Bottom