• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

FFXII had good characters in it that weren't named Vaan :)

My top 3 FF are probably
Balthier, Laguna, Zack.

I like Noctis too, will wait for his game though.

aravuus

None of them really stood out either.

Honestly, I'd probably say this about almost every single character in Final Fantasies VII-XIII. Auron is the only one that I think is really, really good.

So my top 3 would probably be Auron, Zidane and Jecht/Balthier.

FF's have never been about the characters though, at least not for me. It's the over the top story along with the slick battle systems and addictive character development systems.

jaxword

None of them really stood out either. My top 3 favorite FFIX characters were Tarask, Kuja and Beate, in this order. Still, I wasn't able to relate to any of them since they were pretty much cardboard characters; they were too burlesque, in a word. Cloud, Squall and Noctis remain my absolutely favorite fictional characters since they feel human; especially Noctis, whom I relate to seeing how hot-tempered he is.

BQKLh9i.png

Also, you should probably use the English names of Amarant and Beatrix up there instead of the French, which few people here will recognize.

Tizoc

No, it's not racism.

And it's not the only FF that does that by a long shot. FFX is full of tiger-people, lizard people, fish people, bird people...

FF12 goes a step further and creates languages, cultures, and histories for the rabbit, pig, sheep and other anthropomorphic species.

And then there's whatever the heck's going on in the online games these days with the various nonhumans.

Ah yeah I forgot about those games, I guess it's cuz FF9 was my most played FF, my bad ^_^;

Narolf

Banned
Jaxword, I use their French names to feel precious. But okay, dropping the gimmick.

FF's have never been about the characters though, at least not for me. It's the over the top story along with the slick battle systems and addictive character development systems.

What about Squall and Rinoa? I ask because their relationship is supposed to polarize the entire plot.

Narolf

Banned
Ri as in Rising.
No as in Noel.
A as in Kefka.

Even though it's meant to be pronounced as in Japanese.

Ri as in literature.
No as in Noel.
A as in Kefka.

SougoXIII

Jaxword, I use their French names to feel precious. But okay, dropping the gimmick.

What about Squall and Rinoa? I ask because their relationship is supposed to polarize the entire plot.

I would agree with you there. The focus on Squall and to an extent, Rinoa as a character is the saving grace of FFVIII.

rataven

One thing I've found with the slightly less conventional FF character names is that they never seem to be pronounced the way you think they would be. Tee-dus? Zi-don? What??? Thanks a lot Dissidia.

Narolf

Banned
Yeah, I don't get it either. Well, "Tee-dus" is the Japanese pronunciation, but "Zi-don" doesn't make sense whatsoever.

jaxword

Possibly to downplay comparisons to any currently popular sports figures. Just in case.

S-E's lawyers are a pretty careful bunch.

Narolf

Banned
I don't see how flawed it is apart from the battle system, which remains an obnoxious flaw in itself, yeah. Absolutely terrible for being exploitable.

SougoXIII

I don't see how flawed it is apart from the battle system, which remains an obnoxious flaw in itself, yeah. Absolutely terrible for being exploitable.

Well, I'm of the opposite opinion. I liked the battle system because how exploitable it. It made all hassle of drawing and play triple triad worth it.

As for the plot well, I don't like how almost all the cast slowly slide of the grid as soon as Rinoa come into the picture. There's also the terrible orphanage plotpoint, that establish... nothing. Ultimecia only have some sort of presence at the end of Disc one and four. Her motivation should be elaborate on as well as the circumstances in which people is persecuting her by.

Finally, Laguna. As much as I love Laguna, I fail to take any of his accomplishment seriously. I mean could you imagine someone like Laguna running a country?

rataven

I felt Squall and Rinoa dragged the whole plot down.

I liked FFVIII much better when it was a story about mercenaries.
I share this sentiment.

I actually enjoy the gameplay of VIII well enough. It's the story and characters that blow the whole thing for me. Couldn't relate to any of them, aside from maybe Quistis. And Laguna is a treasure.

SougoXIII

I felt Squall and Rinoa dragged the whole plot down.

I liked FFVIII much better when it was a story about mercenaries.

Well FFVIII move away from being about mercenaries as soon as Edea/Ultimecia enter the picture. Squall and Rinoa's relationship doesn't derail FFVIII into the plot of 'Stop the sorceress.'

Well FFVIII move away from being about mercenaries as soon as Edea/Ultimecia enter the picture. Squall and Rinoa's relationship doesn't derail FFVIII into the plot of 'Stop the sorceress.'

Still it got too much focus in my opinion.

Any focus was too much focus as I didn't like it at all.

Can't say I like any romance in Final Fantasy.

SougoXIII

Still it got too much focus in my opinion.

Any focus was too much focus as I didn't like it at all.

Yeah I can agree that the romance is a bit abrupt from Squall's perspective. I think it's better if they focus on the daily life in the Garden and put Squall and Rinoa's romance as a subplot. Though 'romance' is one of the main theme of FFVIII.

Narolf

Banned
Her motivation should be elaborate on as well as the circumstances in which people is persecuting her by.

Finally, Laguna. As much as I love Laguna, I fail to take any of his accomplishment seriously. I mean could you imagine someone like Laguna running a country?

She is Rinoa. As for her motivation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Inx1g4uyoKQ#t=68s

Depends on what the country at hand is. Makes sense to see him at the head of Esthar, it's not really your usual capital.

Narolf

Banned

Going to take a shot at the dark here, but you must be too old for them. As much as I'm fond of the relationship between Squall and Rinoa (also Seifer for the love triangle), it does remain in par with Twilight's romance if you ask me, even though the former remains more subtle.

SougoXIII

She is Rinoa. As for her motivation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Inx1g4uyoKQ#t=68s

Depends on what the country at hand is. Makes sense to see at the head of Esthar, it's not really your usual capital.

Narolf, I refuse to believe the Ultimecia is Rinoa theory. It's right up there with 'Squall is dead' theory in term of ridiculousness.

Regarding Esthar, no matter how different a capital is, the fundamental still applies. You still have to make hard decisions regarding the economy, social welfare etc... with no clear cut answers with the oppositions breather down your neck. I don't recall anyone one opposing Laguna in his presidency even by passing. Even if Laguna is a hero by Esthar's standard, that's not a good enough reason for people to just follow whatever you do.

Do you guys like romances in general or not?

I love a good romance story (without too much drama though since sooner or later everyone will become an asshole.)

Narolf

Banned
It's right up there with 'Squall is dead' theory in term of ridiculousness.

For those who don't know about it: http://squallsdead.com/

And I agree, but that remains only one of the several "goofy"/post-modern plot points FFVIII capitalizes on.

Narolf

Banned
I love a good romance story (without too much drama though since sooner or later everyone will become an asshole.)

Was Titanic's good or kind of cheesy?

SougoXIII

Was Titanic's good or kind of cheesy?

You know what? I watch it when I was really young so some of the cheese may go over my head or didn't affect me. I could say that I really love it when I was little though I haven't watch it recently.

Edit: Just watch the 'review' and it made me smile from ear to ear.

It's right up there with 'Squall is dead' theory in term of ridiculousness.

For those who don't know about it: http://squallsdead.com/

And I agree, but that remains only one of the several "goofy"/post-modern plot points FFVIII capitalizes on.

Oh god, some creepy Fatal Frame-esque pictures there from the FFVIII ending. lol.

Although the one with the giant hole in Squalls face is more funny to me, looks like a giant cookie jar or something. xD

I always thought the story of VIII was great until Ultemecia joined the picture, I really liked the struggle of the other Gardens versus Galbadia and the plot seemed pretty interesting up until that point. The romance of that game was awful, I would have been happy if Squall had just continued to warm to his teammates instead.

Mr. RHC

It's been a while since I last played VIII, but I can say I enjoyed the romance. I usually enjoy the romances in the Final Fantasy games.

frequency

The relationship between Squall and Rinoa is one of my favourite things in the series.

But I am one of the fans that play Final Fantasy for the characters and the stories. Everything else is not really that important to me.

I love romance and wish there was more in the series that play as big a part as Squall and Rinoa's relationship did in FFVIII.

rataven

I adore the romances in Final Fantasy. The series has had some really lovely and touching relationships, and it's one of the main reasons I enjoy the games as much as I do. But I just could not find a single reason to care for Squall or Rinoa. Did not like either of them as characters individually, so unfortunately, I liked them even less as a couple.

But there really is something for everyone in the series; there are so many other great duos. I thought Tidus and Yuna had a tragic love that was nicely done, and Zidane and Garnet's was charming and heart-warming. I've also enjoyed the complexities of Cloud and Tifa, which has always felt so real and mature, given their circumstances. And no matter how you define Fang and Vanille, there's no denying their unbreakable bond. And, I do have to give some credit to VIII, because I really enjoyed Laguna and Raine.

A full-blown romantic FF would be a dream, and I'm really hoping that Versus delivers on some of that. From the little we're seen so far, I think Noctis and Stella have an interesting dynamic.

aravuus

Oh yeah, that's true.

I personally almost always either like a romance sub-plot a lot or I'm irritated by it. Sometimes I keep going to just to see these two characters end up together, sometimes the character's that I'd otherwise probably like I hate because of some romance stuff.

FF VIII and FF X had romances I really just didn't care about. Didn't like them, didn't hate them, they just were there.

Mr. RHC

A full-blown romantic FF would be a dream, and I'm really hoping that Versus delivers on some of that. From the little we're seen so far, I think Noctis and Stella have an interesting dynamic.

Methinks Final Fantasy XIII could have went into this direction, at least the first prologue hours suggested this.

By the way, I haven't played XIII-2 yet but this scene left a positive impression on me:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EHCmAkYwk8#t=5m55s

This has great music, character development, fun and reasonable dialogue. Buuut please cut the mythology Cocoon, fal cie , l'cie , Pulse stuff and this would be so good.

Rinoa

Noctis & Stella have a Romeo & Juliet thing going on.

The scene where they first meet seems to be based on that leonardo 90s movie.

I adore the romances in Final Fantasy. The series has had some really lovely and touching relationships, and it's one of the main reasons I enjoy the games as much as I do. But I just could not find a single reason to care for Squall or Rinoa. Did not like either of them as characters individually, so unfortunately, I liked them even less as a couple.

But there really is something for everyone in the series; there are so many other great duos. I thought Tidus and Yuna had a tragic love that was nicely done, and Zidane and Garnet's was charming and heart-warming. I've also enjoyed the complexities of Cloud and Tifa, which has always felt so real and mature, given their circumstances. And no matter how you define Fang and Vanille, there's no denying their unbreakable bond. And, I do have to give some credit to VIII, because I really enjoyed Laguna and Raine.
Heh, we seem to be pretty much on the same wavelength here. Squall + Rinoa fell pretty flat for me, and I pretty much agree with you on all of the other couples you mentioned. I didn't think Tidus and Yuna were fleshed out that well in X, but the ending got to me and I liked that the premise of X-2 was about getting Tidus back.

Zidane and Garnet in particular are just kind of adorable. My favorite scene in IX is near the end, when you're on the airship heading toward the Iifa Tree and Zidane and Steiner have a quick back and forth about the women they fell in love with that ticks Garnet off.

Seda

So I beat Vagrant Story.

I wasn't really into the story - although the dialogue was great throughout- until the very end when everything fell into place.

The combat was really simple in the end and most bosses could be beat with either a) utilizing the opposite element or b) spamming limit breaks. The game mostly revolved around a lot of item/loot management, and it's quite annoying to work with. You can barely hold anything and so a universal storage chest is used, however, loading the inventory of the chest is slow , and then each time you use it, you have to save, which isn't the quickest thing either. And considering that you can hardly hold anything, I found myself using the chest a lot, I felt like I spent hours in those workshops. In the end, that's what wins the game though, proper item management.

The gameplay otherwise was kinda a mix between a pseudo-Diablo-....esqe loot game and a Metroid game, oddly enough. You traverse an interconnected maze of rooms and corridors, killing bosses to find sigils to open more paths and progress the story.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFXII had good characters in it that weren't named Vaan :)

My top 3 FF are probably
Balthier, Laguna, Zack.

I like Noctis too, will wait for his game though.

Penelo had as much personality, importance, and existence as Vaan though. At lease Fran had a cool accent.

I'd say my top 3 are Steiner, Yuna, and Auron.

Top Bottom