• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just heard this story from my friend but it triggered my bullshit sensor.

He said that he didn't finish Final Fantasy 7 because he had to start over. His reason why he want to start over is that thief stole his ultimate weapon during the battle and flee away with the item.

To be honest, it never happened to me before, and I asked other friends and they didn't experienced it too. I want to post here to see if it's possible or not.

LakeEarth

While it's still cheap, do you think Final Fantasy Tactics is worth buying for a guy who didn't like similar-ish games like Advance Wars or Ogre Battle? I've heard it's an amazing game, but I'm not sure if its for me.

He said that he didn't finish Final Fantasy 7 because he had to start over. His reason why he want to start over is that thief stole his ultimate weapon during the battle and flee away with the item.

To be honest, it never happened to me before, and I asked other friends and they didn't experienced it too. I want to post here to see if it's possible or not.

The only enemy that can steal from your inventory is the Bandit, and he only shows up in Corel Prison. I'm fairly certain they don't show up in other areas of the game past the prison, but they DO have a chance of stealing something from your inventory. If someone can double check if Corel Prison is their only spawn point, then we can be sure, but I'm with you on calling bullshit on him.

EDIT: There's two other enemies that are palette swaps of him, but they spawn in the Midgar areas and are very low-level. I'm still going with "bullshit" unless he just got Aeris' ultimate weapon stolen, in which case it's not even a big deal.
While it's still cheap, do you think Final Fantasy Tactics is worth buying for a guy who didn't like similar-ish games like Advance Wars or Ogre Battle? I've heard it's an amazing game, but I'm not sure if its for me.
If you didn't like Advance Wars, then you might not like FFTactics. It's a slower game by far.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The only enemy that can steal from your inventory is the Bandit, and he only shows up in Corel Prison. I'm fairly certain they don't show up in other areas of the game past the prison, but they DO have a chance of stealing something from your inventory. If someone can double check if Corel Prison is their only spawn point, then we can be sure, but I'm with you on calling bullshit on him.

EDIT: There's two other enemies that are palette swaps of him, but they spawn in the Midgar areas and are very low-level. I'm still going with "bullshit" unless he just got Aeris' ultimate weapon stolen, in which case it's not even a big deal.

If you didn't like Advance Wars, then you might not like FFTactics. It's a slower game by far.

Well, he claimed that thief was low level and he stole his ultimate weapon. I recalled he said that he was surprised that he got stolen by low level thief.

EDITED: Alright, he said he had to reset, not started over. I don't know why he said that in first place.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Final Fantasy IX

Good times with the game, full of charm but the only terrible thing here are the slow ass battles.

jaxword

I wouldn't replay FF9 right now.

Just wait for the Vita/3DS/whatever remake in 2015.

Unless S-E botches that too, the slowdown will probably be removed.

Final Fantasy IX

Good times with the game, full of charm but the only terrible thing here are the slow ass battles.

They are a bit slow, thank goodness for Auto Haste. I dunno why I never really had an issue with the speed of battles but I'm gonna see how it is next time I replay it.

aravuus

Final Fantasy IX

Thank god for emulators. For the past years, whenever I replay a PS1 game, I do it on a pc. 1.5x speed hell yes, I seriously can't play final fantasy on a real PS1 anymore.

Tizoc

Played a little bit of FF4 on PSP and...HOLY SHIT, NAMINGWAY'S A RABBIT?!
I never noticed that in the DS ver. o_O.

Also how did Cecil end up being a Dark Knight and...why? Its like Dark Knights are cursed or some such based on the line Cecil said about he and Rosa can't be together because of it?

Oh and can Kain deal normal damage from the back row since he's equipped with a Spear?

Seda

Also how did Cecil end up being a Dark Knight and...why? Its like Dark Knights are cursed or some such based on the line Cecil said about he and Rosa can't be together because of it?

Oh and can Kain deal normal damage from the back row since he's equipped with a Spear?

No he's a hummingway.

ugwy26O.png

jaxword

Cecil and Rosa are "together" just fine, if you mean in a regular boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. They're ~20-21 years old, they're adults.

He just took up the rather bloody job of Dark Knight because of the King. Cecil can't "be" with Rosa because he's too guilty of what he's had to do lately. Especially as Rosa joined the White Mage corps so she could be around him.

Some people like to imagine that Cecil can't take off his armor, but that's just silly fan speculation (CECIL CAN'T TAKE IT OFF SO HE CAN'T GET LAID THAT'S WHY ROSA IS SO SAD HURR) and so forth.

Tizoc

@Seda- Well OK, I didn't know Hummingways looked like rabbits.

Cecil and Rosa are "together" just fine, if you mean in a regular boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. They're ~20-21 years old, they're adults.

He just took up the rather bloody job of Dark Knight because of the King. Cecil can't "be" with Rosa because he's too guilty of what he's had to do lately. Especially as Rosa joined the White Mage corps so she could be around him.

Some people like to imagine that Cecil can't take off his armor, but that's just silly fan speculation (CECIL CAN'T TAKE IT OFF SO HE CAN'T GET LAID THAT'S WHY ROSA IS SO SAD HURR) and so forth.

Ah OK that clears it up for the most part, mainly the last 2 paragraphs.
...but if you don't mind me asking, why would Cecil become a Dark Knight to serve the King? Was that ever explained?

jaxword

@Seda- Well OK, I didn't know Hummingways looked like rabbits.

Ah OK that clears it up for the most part, mainly the last 2 paragraphs.
...but if you don't mind me asking, why would Cecil become a Dark Knight to serve the King? Was that ever explained?

You've played the DS version, so I guess this isn't a spoiler:

The King used to be a good man, and Cecil was left as an orphan at Baron, so he raised Cecil almost like a son. Remember that Cecil's family was killed by villagers who feared his family's magic powers, which is partly why Golbez had so much hatred, too.

Baron needed defending, and Dark Knights were a powerful and respected (if somewhat feared) corps of the army, so it makes sense the noble Cecil would pursue that. Kain considered that route but decided to follow his father's footsteps and join the Dragoon corps instead.

Apparently, Baron's king was a good leader who wasn't warlike, so Cecil's abilities would've been mainly used for defense.

When the game starts, the King has been replaced by Cagnazzo, but Cecil and co. are still very loyal so they don't question his orders to start invading other countries (versus the defense of Baron that Cecil lived his life for).

Dark Knights aren't inherently evil. They're just a bit dangerous and violent. Remember that the class started with FF3, so, in a way, this was Hironobu's way to explore the concept further.

A good analogy would be a young American soldier who joined up genuinely believing in protecting his country and then finding himself ordered to invade some country for oil. He can't betray his oath, but at the same time is going to question if this is REALLY necessary.

frequency

I never considered Dark Knights any more evil or bad or whatever than Black Mages. The "Dark" is just a reference to the type of magic they use.

They're only more "dangerous and violent" because their focus is offensive abilities (but so are many of the other jobs). Unlike the Paladin or White Mage that focus on defensive abilities.

CorvoSol

It's kinda heart-warming to see myself mourned during my week-long detention for poor behavior.

Why didn't he just reset? Like, "Oh no they stole my weapon! RESET."

I never considered Dark Knights any more evil or bad or whatever than Black Mages. The "Dark" is just a reference to the type of magic they use.

They're only more "dangerous and violent" because their focus is offensive abilities (but so are many of the other jobs). Unlike the Paladin or White Mage that focus on defensive abilities.

The DS version and to a lesser extent play up the Dark Knight being evil a lot more than Black Mages. In the PSP TAY, Porom says "Black Magic is not a panacea for all our problems" but she's basically referring to it as "Violence is not the answer."

Being a Dark Knight is played up as a pretty bad thing, though. It's probably not inherently evil, though, so much as Cecil and others view the King's request to have Cecil become a Dark Knight to coincide with the beginning of his militancy, which culminates in the raid on Mysidia and the theft of its Crystal. For Cecil, being a Dark Knight is a symbol of everything he does wrong in life, principally the people he murders in Mysidia and Mist, and also everyone that Baron kills in his absence. Which is why, when Luke arrives in Dagobah, Yoda tells him he has to become a Jedi Knight to slay Darth Vader.

Or something.

Also: Theathrythm= COCAINE.

EDIT: So how 'bout that Type-0 thing getting reported all over the net? What's the likelihood SE comes down on it with a C&D?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What Type-0 thing? I haven't been paying much attention to games lately cuz my focus has been elsewhere.

Corvo knows what I'm going to say about Cecil being a DKnight. I thought he was better as one, but that's partially because I felt the game was fine at that point.

CorvoSol said:
The DS version and to a lesser extent play up the Dark Knight being evil a lot more than Black Mages. In the PSP TAY, Porom says "Black Magic is not a panacea for all our problems" but she's basically referring to it as "Violence is not the answer."
Yup. This theme and the theme of emotions are played up a ton in FF4. "Violence/hatred isn't the answer to every problem" is ultimately the final theme the game tries to deliver (and it sort of hammers it into your head after a certain point).

What Type-0 thing? I haven't been paying much attention to games lately cuz my focus has been elsewhere.
In the past few days, a few sites have reported on fanslation that's in the works.

EDIT: So how 'bout that Type-0 thing getting reported all over the net? What's the likelihood SE comes down on it with a C&D?
I'd say chances are higher with this project than with other fan translations currently in the works. After all the work they supposedly did localizing the game/recording voice overs, I doubt they want to see future sales cannibalized by an unofficial translation - but that's only if they are still holding out hope internally for a viable path to publishing the game outside of Japan.

CorvoSol

Skyblade Cloud and company have been doing a good job translating the game. He posted a video on GameFAQs showcasing the text insertion tool they have going, and apparently GAF user Jason Schrier, who works for Kotaku, commented about it over there, whence it was picked up. Now people are all a twitter about whether or not the newest team will get C&D'd.

Corvo knows what I'm going to say about Cecil being a DKnight. I thought he was better as one, but that's partially because I felt the game was fine at that point.

I love Paladin Cecil more, but all your reasons for hating the game are also my reasons for loving it, so this is no surprise.

Yup. This theme and the theme of emotions are played up a ton in FF4. "Violence/hatred isn't the answer to every problem" is ultimately the final theme the game tries to deliver (and it sort of hammers it into your head after a certain point).

I kinda feel that by TAY the theme is more about forgiving and moving on, what with Cecil
getting over what Golbez did to him
and Kain
getting over what he did to Cecil
and the main villain being unable to move on being part of the reason he's doing his evil plot. But "Violence is not the Answer" is definitely a big part of FF4, what with "Bid Farewell to Your Bloodstained Past" as the DS version's tagline.

In the past few days, a few sites have reported on fanslation that's in the works.

I'd say chances are higher with this project than with other fan translations currently in the works. After all the work they supposedly did localizing the game/recording voice overs, I doubt they want to see future sales cannibalized by an unofficial translation - but that's only if they are still holding out hope internally for a viable path to publishing the game outside of Japan.

You think? I don't really believe they've done any translation work and won't until I see some proof. Besides, they didn't C&D stuff like the translation fro FFV back in the day.

frequency

Being a Dark Knight is played up as a pretty bad thing, though. It's probably not inherently evil, though, so much as Cecil and others view the King's request to have Cecil become a Dark Knight to coincide with the beginning of his militancy, which culminates in the raid on Mysidia and the theft of its Crystal. For Cecil, being a Dark Knight is a symbol of everything he does wrong in life, principally the people he murders in Mysidia and Mist, and also everyone that Baron kills in his absence. Which is why, when Luke arrives in Dagobah, Yoda tells him he has to become a Jedi Knight to slay Darth Vader.

Or something.

But that's just from the one game. Dark Knight existed before it and after it in the series.
If I remember, Black Mages had some unflattering lore in FFIX. But it was just one game's interpretation of the job. We don't now consider all Black Mages to be what they were in FFIX.

CorvoSol

But that's just from the one game. Dark Knight existed before it and after it in the series.
If I remember, Black Mages had some unflattering lore in FFIX. But it was just one game's interpretation of the job. We don't now consider all Black Mages to be what they were in FFIX.

Yeah, but I thought we were only talking about Dark Knights in the context of FF4. That's the only game where they have any bearing on the plot. Falgabard is just a town in FF3, and they're never really discussed in FFT aside from the glorious Goffard Gaffgarion.

frequency

Yeah, but I thought we were only talking about Dark Knights in the context of FF4. That's the only game where they have any bearing on the plot. Falgabard is just a town in FF3, and they're never really discussed in FFT aside from the glorious Goffard Gaffgarion.

Ok. I probably misunderstood. Someone else mentioned FF3 so I was thinking it was a general discussion. I'm sorry. I'm not very good with reading comprehension.

For FF4, I always figured people generally had a negative view about Dark Knights because people like Cecil were going around killing innocents and stealing crystals with dark magical powers. So of course the people in that universe would be like "they're so evil!" But like Cecil, it wasn't necessary because they were evil so much as the king told them to do it.

Unlocking Dark Knight in FF11 has story stuff too. I don't really remember it much except fighting beastmen in a mine for a sword. I don't think it was considered as being evil or bad, just using dark powers. There are good-guy Dark Knight characters besides players too.

I also think many of the games show that magic in general was generally seen as a bad thing or something to be feared. I don't see much difference between that and the world opinions of Dark Knights in FF4.

Thinking about it, I don't really remember any games that address the jobs specifically in a story-relevant way except FF4 and Black Mages in FF9 (not counting advanced job quests in FF11). I have a bad memory though.

But anyway, I'm likely wrong. I tend to be wrong a lot.

You think? I don't really believe they've done any translation work and won't until I see some proof. Besides, they didn't C&D stuff like the translation fro FFV back in the day.
Well, my opinion on this really hinges on whether or not the rumors about them nearly completing localization work a year ago and then shelving it for market reasons are true. If they didn't actually do any of the voice recording etc. that some have claimed, then I won't be surprised if they turn a blind eye to the fan translation, as they did w/FFV back in the day - they clearly had no intention of bringing V stateside back then, so a fan translation wasn't a threat to their bottom line. If SQEX *did* go to all the trouble of localizing Type-0 like the rumors say though, then I think that's a sign that they are interested in publishing it outside of Japan, but don't think they have very profitable options for doing so right now - in which case, a fan translation would hurt their potential future sales and be a threat that they'd want to kibosh.

Narolf

Banned
Welcome back, CorvoSol.

Can't tell whether those rumors are unfounded or not, but what I'm sure of is that they will have to C&D DissidiaForums as well for their Workshop section if they C&D SkyBladeCloud's work. Vendetta aside, count me in for being their snitch for the sake of justice to be served.

Dark-Schala: www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47076335&postcount=3

Click on SkyBladeCloud's avatar (the red-bordered one) and the Youtube icon below.

CorvoSol

Ok. I probably misunderstood. Someone else mentioned FF3 so I was thinking it was a general discussion. I'm sorry. I'm not very good with reading comprehension.

No biggie. For a minute I thought I was the mistaken one, so it's cool. I can only think of FF3 and FFT where Dark Knights factor into the story (Oh and FF2) but I dunno. In FF2, The Dark Knight is presented as a major villain. He doesn't have any special powers, though, and is actually seen as a sort of ok guy, since
he turns out to be Maria's brother, Leon.

In FF3 we have Falgabard, the Dark Knight town, which is the most positive portrayal in the series, as Dark Knights and Dark Swords help you through the cave to the Earth Crystal, iirc, but FF3 has several one-hat towns (the gnomes, Vikings, Dwarves, Geomancer/Bards and Summoner towns.) so it's pretty whatever. In FFT there's the Dark Knight class, but its never commented on, and there's Goffard Gaffgarion, who, in addition to being the coolest man not named Cid Orlandeau, is a pretty slimy guy.

For FF4, I always figured people generally had a negative view about Dark Knights because people like Cecil were going around killing innocents and stealing crystals with dark magical powers. So of course the people in that universe would be like "they're so evil!" But like Cecil, it wasn't necessary because they were evil so much as the king told them to do it.

The funny thing is that FF4 is kinda odd in some ways. As in, we know that Kluya taught magic and science to the people of the Blue planet, and therefore airship technology has been in Baron's hands not MUCH longer than Cecil has been alive, presumably. The game tells us that it marks the beginning of Baron's militancy, and we see Cecil moaning about gathering crystals . . . except that Mysidia is the very first crystal Baron has taken, and presumably the first actual foreign nation it has attacked. The Fire, Earth, and Wind Crystals are all taken during the course of Cecil's quest, so the Water Crystal is the first to be captured.

Eblan MIGHT have been attacked by Baron, but no one ever says that, and its sort of left to the player to believe that Eblan fell to the Tower of Babil, since, you know, it's right there.

So really, Baron's reputation for violence is sort of unfounded until the game's opening scene, when they storm Mysidia. There's been some confusion regarding whether the Red Wings were the best airforce, or the only airforce (since having an airforce would grant untold military advantage to Baron).

The only other Dark Knight ever mentioned in FF4 is unnamed, and left his sword with the Duke Consort (King) of Fabul. So it's kinda hard to know exactly why being a Dark Knight is such a big bad deal. My guess, though, is that Zemus wanted Cecil and everyone else to believe that Dark Knights sucked, because if he could break Cecil the way he had Golbez, he could then use Kluya's sons to destroy the world Kluya loved.

Unlocking Dark Knight in FF11 has story stuff too. I don't really remember it much except fighting beastmen in a mine for a sword. I don't think it was considered as being evil or bad, just using dark powers. There are good-guy Dark Knight characters besides players too.

I also think many of the games show that magic in general was generally seen as a bad thing or something to be feared. I don't see much difference between that and the world opinions of Dark Knights in FF4.

It could well be. In FF4 they're presented as evil, but things differ from place to place. Heck in FF13 being a Light Warrior is a curse, and in FF3 we learn that the Dark Warriors are our friends, not enemies, so Dark and Light need not ALWAYS mean good and evil.

Thinking about it, I don't really remember any games that address the jobs specifically in a story-relevant way except FF4 and Black Mages in FF9 (not counting advanced job quests in FF11). I have a bad memory though.

But anyway, I'm likely wrong. I tend to be wrong a lot.

Hey, if you're wrong, maybe I am too! Then we can be wrong together.

Well, my opinion on this really hinges on whether or not the rumors about them nearly completing localization work a year ago and then shelving it for market reasons are true. If they didn't actually do any of the voice recording etc. that some have claimed, then I won't be surprised if they turn a blind eye to the fan translation, as they did w/FFV back in the day - they clearly had no intention of bringing V stateside back then, so a fan translation wasn't a threat to their bottom line. If SQEX *did* go to all the trouble of localizing Type-0 like the rumors say though, then I think that's a sign that they are interested in publishing it outside of Japan, but don't think they have very profitable options for doing so right now - in which case, a fan translation would hurt their potential future sales and be a threat that they'd want to kibosh.

Would it though? I'm freakin' importing this game, and if an English localized version ever does come out, I'd buy it again. But I grant I'm probably out of the ordinary. In any case, I don't mean to cast doubt on those here who have claimed such work was done, but Square's silence regarding Type-0 makes me think they don't care at the moment.

Welcome back, CorvoSol.

Can't tell whether those rumors are unfounded or not, but what I'm sure of is that they will have to C&D DissidiaForums as well for the Workshop section if they do C&D SkyBladeCloud's work. Vendetta aside, count me in for being the snitch for the sake of justice to be served.

Thanks Narolf! I hope they don't shut down SkyBladeCloud, because I really like his DLC costumes for Dissidia. Still wish I could get a Seven alt for Lightning.

Narolf

Banned
Worst they can do is shutting down SkyBladeCloud's medias, be it his Twitter, Youtube, Wordpress or his thread over at GBATEMP.net. The material will still be there at any rate, and it will up to him whether he decides to continue it in the shadows or not. However, in the event the case does end up being dragged into court, well, shall DF know the same. Mass Zero hided the Workshop because he worries about them.

Seven was a WIP if I'm not mistaken. Forgot who was working on her, either SkyBladeCloud or ultima espio. Pretty sure that was the latter.

CorvoSol

Worst they can do is shutting down SkyBladeCloud's medias, be it his Twitter, Youtube, Wordpress or his thread over at GBATEMP.net. The material will still be there at any rate, and it will up to him whether he decides to continue it in the shadows or not. However, in the event the case does end up being dragged into court, well, shall DF know the same. Mass Zero hided the Workshop because he worries about them.

Seven was a WIP if I'm not mistaken. Forgot who was working on her, either SkyBladeCloud or ultima espio. Pretty sure that was the latter.

Any chance you could point me to where Ultima Espio said that? Last I saw Seven was just a skin for Lightning, and not an actual DLC/template swap. I could totally sacrifice my beloved Lightning Amano Alt for Seven.

Narolf

Banned
Unfortunately, I can't redirect you to the posts in question since I'm still banned from DF (until March 11th). They are located in the thread called "General Dissidia Research" in the Workshop and Ultima Espio talked about a hypothetical Seven DLC mod for Lightning back in December if I recall correctly. Alternatively, you can always hop in the IRC for Dissidia stuff and ask there since ultima espio is in vacation.

CorvoSol

Unfortunately, I can't redirect you to the posts in question since I'm still banned from DF (until March 11th). They are located in the thread called "General Dissidia Research" in the Workshop and Ultima Espio talked about a hypothetical Seven DLC mod for Lightning back in December if I recall correctly. Alternatively, you can always hop in the IRC for Dissidia stuff and ask there since ultima espio is in vacation.

Man, the General Dissidia Research page is over 200 pages long, though. Hmmm.

CorvoSol

Thread search tool claims Seven is too generic a term, and Type-0 only turn up the point where I asked if someone could make a Seven costume and got directed to double-B's texture. Which isn't bad, but isn't what I wanted, either.

Would it though? I'm freakin' importing this game, and if an English localized version ever does come out, I'd buy it again. But I grant I'm probably out of the ordinary. In any case, I don't mean to cast doubt on those here who have claimed such work was done, but Square's silence regarding Type-0 makes me think they don't care at the moment.
I think it would hurt sales, but who knows how much? The average gamer probably doesn't care that much about supporting publishers/having a nice collection on their shelf - but then again, the average gamer also doesn't follow fan translations and hack their systems to play em. I could see there being a number of people who either A) play the fan translation and then move on and don't care if/when an official release comes out, or B) play the fan translation and then refuse to purchase a legitimate Type-0 release out of resentment toward SQEX for their many blunders these past few years. /shrug

SQEX's silence is pretty damning, it's true, but I don't think it means they don't care. They supported the PSP in the West more than most other publishers throughout its lifespan, so I doubt they just did a 180 and lost interest in the platform. I think the writing was probably just on the wall after less-than-expected sales of The 3rd Birthday, FFIV CC and Dissidia 012 earlier in the year and with the Vita on the horizon, they decided to wait and see how it would fare. And we know how that sob story ends...

All that said, I think it's fine to be skeptical of the almost-localization rumors. It's not like we have any concrete proof - just that Ultimania quote and the alleged testimonials of a few anonymous voice actors. :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can't tell whether those rumors are unfounded or not, but what I'm sure of is that they will have to C&D DissidiaForums as well for their Workshop section if they C&D SkyBladeCloud's work. Vendetta aside, count me in for being their snitch for the sake of justice to be served.

Dark-Schala: www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47076335&postcount=3

Click on SkyBladeCloud's avatar (the red-bordered one) and the Youtube icon below.
Thanks. I don't think localizations get C&D'd very often so I think Type-0's stuff might be in the clear. It'd be silly if they C&D's that. Fanworks might be a different story.

Mods are kind of iffy... but my only experience with that are with mods that companies are genuinely okay with. Since Dissidia Duodecim came out a while ago and those mods aren't very new, I think they're okay with it. If they want to foster a community around that game, I really don't think they should push their luck with the fanbase for that game or what their fanbase decide to do with the game. Make it community-driven and it'll grow.

It's so strange talking about fanworks in Square Enix's context because I'm so used to other companies (notably Sega; shit, they let Taxman work on the recent port of Sonic CD) being very receptive to it and they haven't C&D'd much of anything. I honestly think fangames, mods, and fantranslations can be some of the best things I play in a year, depending how the release window goes or whether, whether the script is good, or not the demo was good (for example, SAGE demos--and we have a few GAF members who do a lot of work on fangames... and they genuinely do some excellent work and know what good level design is). I've experienced more good than bad, so that's why I'm absolutely for fan works.

With that said, if SE C&D's a localization, it would be kind of surprising to me. I don't think they would do that. They would've squashed translation patches for English IZJS if they gave a damn, for example.

CorvoSol

PM him then: http://dissidiaforums.com/member.php?4215-ultima-espio

If there is anyone that shall bring the endeavor upon himself, that would be him; granted SkyBladeCloud now focuses on Type-0.

Should I? I'm kinda a newb on Dissidia forums, and I'd hate to be the kinda guy who bugs Ultima Espio about it.

Thanks. I don't think localizations get C&D'd very often so I think Type-0's stuff might be in the clear. It'd be silly if they C&D's that. Fanworks might be a different story.

Mods are kind of iffy... but my only experience with that are with mods that companies are genuinely okay with. Since Dissidia Duodecim came out a while ago and those mods aren't very new, I think they're okay with it. If they want to foster a community around that game, I really don't think they should push their luck with the fanbase for that game or what their fanbase decide to do with the game. Make it community-driven and it'll grow.

It's so strange talking about fanworks in Square Enix's context because I'm so used to other companies (notably Sega; shit, they let Taxman work on the recent port of Sonic CD) being very receptive to it and they haven't C&D'd much of anything. I honestly think fangames, mods, and fantranslations can be some of the best things I play in a year, depending how the release window goes or whether, whether the script is good, or not the demo was good (for example, SAGE demos--and we have a few GAF members who do a lot of work on fangames... and they genuinely do some excellent work and know what good level design is). I've experienced more good than bad, so that's why I'm absolutely for fan works.

With that said, if SE C&D's a localization, it would be kind of surprising to me. I don't think they would do that. They would've squashed translation patches for English IZJS if they gave a damn, for example.

Fan projects can be a lot of fun. I keep wishing I were good at doing them so I could do a Super FFXIII.

Narolf

Banned
Should I? I'm kinda a newb on Dissidia forums, and I'd hate to be the kinda guy who bugs Ultima Espio about it.

Don't worry about it.

I can understand DissidiaForums transpired elitist with me hyper-linking to all that crap, but ultima espio is definitely not one of those guys.

aravuus

Thinking of trying out the DS version of FF IV.

Not expecting.. Well, anything from the story, but I've heard it's a pretty goddamn hard game. Correct? Not that much into hardcore difficulty

Heropon

With the correct strategy, the bosses in FFIVDS aren't really that difficult. What really gives me shudders in that game are these little fuckers:

rAyZXOh.png
WRkBVY9.png
5zEczTW.png
qIC4j7a.png
7gWPrrB.png

They have a thing in common: Overpowered multitarget magic attack of doom. It's important to have the characters at full HP whenever you're in the same place at this scum or you'll experience the game over screen and that isn't a pleasant surprise after a long dungeon.

The laser gun thing doesn't use a multitarget attack, but a pretty powerful single target beam, so it's equally dangerous.

jaxword

Thinking of trying out the DS version of FF IV.

Not expecting.. Well, anything from the story, but I've heard it's a pretty goddamn hard game. Correct? Not that much into hardcore difficulty

It's a great port. And it makes you use the status spells effectively to beat bosses. And regular enemies, too. That's fun to try new strats.

Use a guide for the augments, though, those are just stupidly designed.

aravuus

With the correct strategy, the bosses in FFIVDS aren't really that difficult. What really gives me shudders in that game are these little fuckers:

rAyZXOh.png
WRkBVY9.png
5zEczTW.png
qIC4j7a.png
7gWPrrB.png

They have a thing in common: Overpowered multitarget magic attack of doom. It's important to have the characters at full HP whenever you're in the same place at this scum or you'll experience the game over screen and that isn't a pleasant surprise after a long dungeon.

The laser gun thing doesn't use a multitarget attack, but a pretty powerful single target beam, so it's equally dangerous.

Haha, alright. I remember reading about those augs too, yeah. I'm one of those people who honestly enjoy a game more when I play it with a guide, so that should sort itself out.

CorvoSol

rAyZXOh.png
WRkBVY9.png
5zEczTW.png
qIC4j7a.png
7gWPrrB.png

Oh God the nightmares. HATE HATE HATE THEM.

But ProtoBabil is still the worst. He counters EVERYTHING with Object 199.

Top Bottom