• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

What an objective statement.

FF Superbosses are nothing, if not an ode to bad game design.

Also, I have found NO orange shards. Which doesn't bug me much because I don't like Vivi as an FF9 rep (Steiner or Garnet or bust.). On the other hand I got a ton of White Shards and Snow is as bad a 13 rep as Seifer is an 8 rep.

All the DLC additions are better reps, really.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
FF Superbosses are nothing, if not an ode to bad game design.

Also, I have found NO orange shards. Which doesn't bug me much because I don't like Vivi as an FF9 rep (Steiner or Garnet or bust.). On the other hand I got a ton of White Shards and Snow is as bad a 13 rep as Seifer is an 8 rep.

All the DLC additions are better reps, really.

*joke on wording ruined*

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Another 25h Anniversary item added :D

http://myfinalfantasycollection.blogspot.com/2013/02/final-fantasy-25th-anniversary-ultimate.html

DSC09132.JPG

Tenrius

Why does Final Fantasy XII look so bad on an HDTV compared to other PS2 games? I'm using a component cable and most of the games look pretty good, but FFXII looks very pixelated, almost as pixelated as a PS1 game would look. Turning flicker filter on does help a bit, but it still looks very low-fi.

And not only that, it looks somewhat pixelated on my puny SDTV as well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Same thing happens to me with FF12 on a PS2 as well. I dunno why, even while using components. Playing it on the PS3 isn't too too bad, but then I'd have to play the English vanilla version rather than the IZJS version.

Perfo: I assumed that you were going to keep the Ultimate Box sealed. I like the visual art thingy (cover of the crystal art works). And I'm genuinely surprised they want with Vanilla rather than IZJS. Man, I can't do that (keep games sealed). Maybe when I'm rich and all my student loans are paid off, but not now. Every game I buy is going to get played!

All this FF25th anniversary merch just makes me realize that Konami's going to do jack-shit for Genso Suikoden's 20th anniversary in 2015 because they don't care (maybe pachisuro, but that's it). It makes me feel depressed. *sigh*

New FFs need co-op in some way. Two attack menus open rather than just one (honestly FF10-2/FF12/13 seemed good for it because you need to chain and time attacks properly to have a decent combo); I'm sure I won't get frustrated with FF local MP like I do with Tales MP sometimes. We can't play Tales co-op because I end up getting frustrated with my bf's "spam 1 or 2 attacks"/free-run playstyle and then I make him play the rest of it himself because I'm petty and I tell him he's playing it wrong.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So do I. Any system this gen seemed perfect for one.

Not to mention that FFCC's soundtrack is rather underrated.

Kaze no ne - I like the instrumentation more than vocals, but the vocals are incredibly reminiscent of many of the Final Fantasy vocal arrange albums (and I can't tell you how much I miss those). Yae's airy vocals are very fitting for a vocal theme in FF, and it sets her apart from the pop/drama song stylings of the popular singers in other Final Fantasy games. Honestly, I prefer these. It would have been incredibly lovely if she sang in Portuguese or Spanish as a deliberate callback to the older Final Fantasy vocal albums, but I guess this'll do.

Honestly, I'm thinking of it in a Genso Suikoden context again because the bulk of the vocal songs in that series are in various Romance languages (though oddly not in French; that series seems to be washed in Italian but French seems to be the best thing to use for the series since the Narcy characters are very French (well, the first one was anyway)). ...where was I... oh.

Eternal Oath develops from quiet ambient tones to inserting more woodwind and percussion instruments throughout its development. And it was the only track Tanioka didn't compose on the album. It always seems to move from one thing to another without looping over and over, but it adds something new throughout the album track.

I dig Annual Festival a lot, but that's because I love folksy stuff like this. Kazoos are always fun when used well or when used in moderation, but the flute melody is very fun and whimsical. It's actually a surprisingly cute track on the soundtrack overall, imo.

Sad Monster gives me some bagpipes, a bass drum, and an organ somewhere in there. It's certainly an interesting combination for a final boss theme, but I think it works primarily because: a) it fits in with the rest of the instrumentation on the soundtrack, b) you don't hear these instruments every day in a final boss theme (well, the bagpipes mostly), c) the organ builds up to something neat.

Unite, Descent is more traditional in terms of final boss music progression (percussion -> flute -> synth brass -> build up -> bells -> sleigh bells -> choral -> choral/synth string -> tubular bell playing Kaze no ne). Percussion truly drives the theme and makes it thrive, but I feel like I like Sad Monster better.

There's a lot more, but off the top of my head, I think those are my favourites. I wanted to find the most Genso Suikoden-esque soundtrack in Final Fantasy, FFCC's might be it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I want a proper sequel to Crystal Chronicles :/

I never really liked it until I finally got a chance to play it in multiplayer mode. That's where it really shines, but it's just way too hard to get all the hardware together you'd need for a four player session. Never had a second chance.
If they find a way to do something similar without the need for all the extra hardware, I'd be all for a proper sequel.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I never really liked it until I finally got a chance to play it in multiplayer mode. That's where it really shines, but it's just way too hard to get all the hardware together you'd need for a four player session. Never had a second chance.
If they find a way to do something similar without the need for all the extra hardware, I'd be all for a proper sequel.
Online MP or local MP on any system. They can do it now, I think?

Online MP with the gamepads on Wii U might work?

CorvoSol

Crystal Chronicle's strength is always in multiplayer. You allow for SP just to be nice, but TCB having no MP mode was its seal of death.

My import of Type-0 has arrived today! It's a very pretty case, and the discs look to be in good condition. Feel like a total weeaboo importing, though.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So I was reading a recent article on Kitase's reason on declining FF series sales and this is basically what he said:

"Between Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2, we saw a drop in sales of 3m. So it's not like we feel the pressure is off at all. The reason for the drop may have been down to the fact that not many players knew you didn't have to have played Final Fantasy XIII to understand the plot in its sequel. We're hoping that we can get that message across for Lightning Returns, because the same is true here."

-----------------

Is it me or does he just not care anymore? I understand it's just PR BS but come the fuck on. I don't think many with an actual brain is simply going to believe that.

Thoughts?

Heropon

I love PR statements because they're always hilarious trying to spin the reality. "Oh, we're not worried that three million people who bought the first game don't want to touch the sequel even with 20-foot pole."

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Perfo: I assumed that you were going to keep the Ultimate Box sealed. I like the visual art thingy (cover of the crystal art works). And I'm genuinely surprised they want with Vanilla rather than IZJS. Man, I can't do that (keep games sealed). Maybe when I'm rich and all my student loans are paid off, but not now. Every game I buy is going to get played!

I don't keep my stuff sealed, I buy FF's merchandise not just because I like to have something related to my favorite series (or I plan to re-sell these stuff for major price), but because I enjoy passing my time with the stuff I bought in my hands. I don't see the reason to buy an artbook if you don't end up looking at the content of that same book. The same for anything else. I like to showcase my action figures, to put the MP3 files from an OST to my iTunes, to play again games from the past ecc.

Unless you're going to buy twice everything, I don't see the reason to keep things sealed (though I "re-seal" stuff I opened for protecting it).

CorvoSol

So I was reading a recent article on Kitase's reason on declining FF series sales and this is basically what he said:

"Between Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2, we saw a drop in sales of 3m. So it's not like we feel the pressure is off at all. The reason for the drop may have been down to the fact that not many players knew you didn't have to have played Final Fantasy XIII to understand the plot in its sequel. We're hoping that we can get that message across for Lightning Returns, because the same is true here."

-----------------

Is it me or does he just not care anymore? I understand it's just PR BS but come the fuck on. I don't think many with an actual brain is simply going to believe that.

Thoughts?

Dear Mr. Kitase;

There was a time when people knew full well Final Fantasy was a series where playing the previous installment was not necessary to understand the plot of the successive installment. You might want to consider what's changed between then and now.

Dear Mr. Kitase;

I played FFXIII and I still didn't understand the plot to FFXIII-2.

jaxword

I love PR statements because they're always hilarious trying to spin the reality. "Oh, we're not worried that three million people who bought the first game don't want to touch the sequel even with 20-foot pole."

Yeah, but let's be honest, there's no possible way for a top-level exec to go out and blatantly say "We screwed up by estimating how much people liked FF13's universe."

His job depends on him spinning like Seifer.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah, but let's be honest, there's no possible way for a top-level exec to go out and blatantly say "We screwed up by estimating how much people liked FF13's universe."

His job depends on him spinning like Seifer.

I don't think they even estimated it. More like "They will like it even if they don't".

Xux

I didn't buy FFXIII because I liked it. I bought it because I liked the games in the series before it. I didn't dislike it until after I played it. I didn't buy FFXIII-2 because I didn't like FFXIII.

Anteater

I didn't like it all that much overall, but I find the combat kind of enjoyable, I'm one of the weirdos that actually liked the first half of the game better (and enjoying it even on a replay), I somehow liked the linear guided experience with frequent cutscenes on different characters.

I think it's similar to some of the FFs like FFX or the beginning of FF7, except it didn't lead you to different towns, instead of finding out information and seeing the interesting world, you ended up reading a datalog, with all of those things combined, it got really tedious towards the end for me since there wasn't really much development with the characters anymore after they teamed up, and it's just battles after battles. The open world part felt kind of empty.

I skipped most of the fights in the last dungeon because I wanted to be done with it.

I really miss playing a FF game though, I don't have a ps2 hooked up anymore so I decided to replay 13!

CorvoSol

Combat in XIII was nearly good. The pace was spot-on, but what it needed to really be worth my time was the following: 1) No autobattle (the game plays better when you turn this option off, but . . .) 2)Control over my party. As in, if they could have found a way to retan the pace of the game but still allowed me to control all three party members beyond just paradigms, it would've rocked.

Imagine having to flip from Paradigm A to B, choose to buff, heal, and attack, all at the pace of XIII's fights. It would've been so much more challenging, and so much more engaging. This is part of why I've come to like A and S RPGs more now, because they're somewhat more engaging than the ATB these days.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So when I look through external material for XIII series like the Ultimania's, why does it have quite a few cut out location's that could have served as plot points or places of interest to flesh out Gran Pulse, especially when certain iterations of said places have already been established in game canon, such as the 13 Arks?

CorvoSol

So when I look through external material for XIII series like the Ultimania's, why does it have quite a few cut out location's that could have served as plot points or places of interest to flesh out Gran Pulse, especially when certain iterations of said places have already been established in game canon, such as the 13 Arks?

Because in spite of the years it took to make Lightning's hair, the final product is pretty obviously an unfinished, rushed game? I'm pretty sure every sane person out there knows that the XIII we got wasn't what anybody except maybe Toriyama wanted us to have.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I still think it's flawed. It's like you have a patient in a hospital that has a mental deficiency that can start but not finish their own sentences.

jaxword

Whatever FF13 started as, it definitely was a different product at the end.

The early mockups had a completely different interface and style. I really wonder how different things would've been if they'd kept Lightning's "gravity" ability? I'm pretty sure the entire Launching aspect was part of that and they just said "let's just give it to everyone, we made this Toriyama's stupid battle gimmick and the team's too lazy/busy/overworked/dead to create more abilities for the other 5."

Well at least that teaser trailer showing "gameplay" will always look call.

It's always about looks with you isn't it FFXIII...

Whatever.

CorvoSol

Whatever FF13 started as, it definitely was a different product at the end.

The early mockups had a completely different interface and style. I really wonder how different things would've been if they'd kept Lightning's "gravity" ability? I'm pretty sure the entire Launching aspect was part of that and they just said "let's just give it to everyone, we made this Toriyama's stupid battle gimmick and the team's too lazy/busy/overworked/dead to create more abilities for the other 5."

Try telling this to some folks on GAF, though, and they'll call for your head.

Well at least that teaser trailer showing "gameplay" will always look call.

It's always about looks with you isn't it FFXIII...

Whatever.

I can't watch those trailers anymore, they hurt too much.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm not gonna make a separate topic for it but I'm having one of my TEAM DOOMTRAIN(it's a inside joke) members translate the Tabata interview from the Artbook. The one that released exactly a year ago. >_>

Wish me luck.

Tizoc

Final Fantasy XIII progress report #9
Woah has it really been 3 weeks since I last played FF13 o_O
Well anyways, finished Tenjin's Tower, and am on my way to Oerba. The boss of the tower wasn't that hard with my characters being well leveled altho his non-debuff state surprised me as I didn't know it had such a state lol.

Also beat the Undying mission in the tower using Snow, Hope and Sazh.
Used the following paradigms with this line-up: Sazh (L), Snow, Hope
Rav+Com+Rav
Rav+Sen+Rav
Syn+Sen+Syn
Com+Sen+Med
I had Snow run up to the boss before shifting so its attacks would only damage him, buffed til max, got its Stagger up, went all offensive, lathe, rinse repeat til win~

Wazzy

Banned
Alright question for those who have beaten The After Years PSP version. I'm not very far, I have Ceodore and Hoodedman in my party and we just beat the mist cave. I got to the end of the Wii version but never beat it so I decided to beat the PSP one. Anyway, for my question, do you have to have multiple saves like in the Wii one for each tale?

Edit- nvm, the game answered my question.

CorvoSol

Alright question for those who have beaten The After Years PSP version. I'm not very far, I have Ceodore and Hoodedman in my party and we just beat the mist cave. I got to the end of the Wii version but never beat it so I decided to beat the PSP one. Anyway, for my question, do you have to have multiple saves like in the Wii one for each tale?

Edit- nvm, the game answered my question.

I know it's been answered, but yes. The main differences between this and the Wii version are as follows:

1)Ceodore's and Kain's Tales are separate.
2)Challenge Dungeon Rare Items are easier to get, but you can only have one per go around.
3)Kain's Tale, The Lunarian's Tale, and The Final Tale are all unlocked after completing certain tales, as opposed to in the Wii, where you could just buy them.

jaxword

Anyone ever notice how FF6 borrowed a few overall plot points from Secret of Mana?

The plucky protagonists eventually joining with the rebels, the Emperor inviting them to his castle for a (false) dinner, but that turns out to be irrelevant since his second in command kills him for them and starts nuking the world...

With Chrono Trigger now being revealed as partially SOM inspired, FF6 taking and expanding some of its plot points fits that era of Square.

Mr. RHC

Distant Worlds is coming back to Vancouver. They are going to use the giant pipe organ this time.... I am excited.

I had the huge last minute(!)honour and opportunity to be at the Distant Worlds concert in Munich yesterday! This is a definite recommendation for everyone who is interested in the music of Final Fantasy.

The guests were hyped, a lot of cheering and standing ovations. I also have an all new appreciation for symphonic orchestras. Especially for the triangles, bells, drums and tambourines etc.. Of course also for pretty much every other talented musician on the stage.

The orchestra was conducted by Arnie Roth who is very enthusiastic during the whole event! They played a great mix of themes like Liberi Fatali, You're Not Alone, Chocobo Medley, Final Fantasy V theme ( dayuuum, not expected this one) and many more.

Answers and Eyes On Me sung my Susan Calloway probably have been the highlight of the show. She kind of nailed it pretty much both times! I don't know if the audience would have let the orchestra go if Nobuo Uematsu had been present as well :p.

CorvoSol

Anyone ever notice how FF6 borrowed a few overall plot points from Secret of Mana?

The plucky protagonists eventually joining with the rebels, the Emperor inviting them to his castle for a (false) dinner, but that turns out to be irrelevant since his second in command kills him for them and starts nuking the world...

With Chrono Trigger now being revealed as partially SOM inspired, FF6 taking and expanding some of its plot points fits that era of Square.

It'd be cool. All this is doing is making me miss the Mana series, so much. So, so much. Why must you twist the knife, Jax?

Never noticed that :eek:

D'aww Lightning and Hope is so cute.

DON'T ENCOURAGE IT.

PowderedToast

would anyone like to see a return to the more accurately asian faces of FFX? tidus for example looks like a straight up japanese kid in regards to his facial features. the designs in XIII still have some japanese traits but they're more stylized and fantasy-like

Narolf

Banned
Hmm, well, while I don't mind it, that would sort out the issue of them looking perfect, as if they were all models; see Zoukka's argument.

CorvoSol

would anyone like to see a return to the more accurately asian faces of FFX? tidus for example looks like a straight up japanese kid in regards to his facial features. the designs in XIII still have some japanese traits but they're more stylized and fantasy-like

Only if the in-game models reflect it. That was the weirdest part of X for me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
My GILGAMESH analysis of his role in Type 0(like anyone cares). Spoiler tags for your safety of course. Heavy spoilers too. And observational speculation. And written by me because I'm awesome. Should be a good read. Maybe. Uh, read at your own risk.

In Type 0 it is revealed that he is born in Orience as the son of the King of Genbu. Because of his position he is scorned and distrusted by the populace of Genbu as a King of Genbu must be strong and demonstrate his power to be accepted by the warrior nation. In his childhood there was only one friend he ever had. Enkidu. It is implied they were close and did many things together, when the king died GILGAMESH was tested and succeeded in battle and was to become King. In the year 832 a coup d'tat occured, an assassination on the king's life, which Enkidu prevented but the cost was great...Enkidu's very life. GILGAMESH was overcome with rage and he wanted to kill his friend's murderers but was quelled by his dying friend's last words for him to spare them. In accordance he exiled these betrayer's from the nation. But Enkidu's death was a mighty blow to GILGAMESH'S mind and not even the Crystal could eliminate the memory of his friend, the only one he could trust, in this sense GILGAMESH was alone, stricken with grief he went on to rule Genbu not feeling anger towards the people of Genbu, guided solely by his friend's last words.

10 years later in 842, the Pax Codex Peace Treaty is broken by the Milites Empire and attacked Suzaku and was repelled, the next move was to attack Genbu directly and in a single stroke by dropping an Atomic Bomb on the nation known as the Ultima Bomb, except this one was bolstered by an L'cie making it far more powerful. In this instance Genbu is completely wiped from the face of Orience and GILGAMESH in the manga appears to be enveloped by the Bomb at point blank range. However, he miraculously survived, though it was not by mere chance it was due to the Armor of the King he wore, an armor forged by the Genbu Crystal's power that it is able to negate destructive power even that of Eidolons and the Ultima Bomb, of which Ultima means "The Strongest". When he awoke he would realize that he alone survived, he the King of Genbu, all his subjects annihilated with him as the survivor. A king of a dead nation. In his frustration and the later knowledge that the Genbu Crystal is drained of it's strength can be implied that GILGAMESH took his despair and frustration on the Crystal absorbing it's strength, combined with possible radiation from the Ultima Bomb slowly affecting his body. He goes mad, insane and loses his mind.

At the battle of the Big Bridge, he seemingly appears out of nowhere and annihilates Milites and Rubrum forces singlehandedly in a primitive rampage with the remnants of the crystal and GILGAMESH himself fighting for his very own body, a battle of the mind. Nothing could stand in his path, no magitek armor or eidolon, nor Class Zero could stop him. He spares Class Zero as he barely wins out in his mentality and regains his senses but not who he is and is disappointed with his foe's strength and leaves the battle. Alexander is summoned which completely decimates the Milites Empire's bulk of forces,

GILGAMESH is able to survive this onslaught of destruction again only through the armor but by time he reaches the capital he is severely weakened, he fights Machina only to regain his memories of who he was and fights Machina seeking to die, he is defeated but does not die. Instead it is implied he falls into the Rift by being consumed by his own power.

Here a transformation occurs and he becomes more monstrous, and by his own direction he begins seeking weapons based on what he remembers of what his people expected from him. From here on out he traveled Orience for weapons and continues his eternal quest throughout the FF series seeking worthy opponents and will take their weapons upon their defeat, never seeking to kill as to live by Enkidu's last words.

Later he travels to the different worlds and is placed in various roles, where sometimes he fights the heroes on equal footing but loses out or he may even surpass them but uses the Excalipoor or is shafted out in a comedic manner. Other situations are more serious as such in FF8, where he didn't mess around. And since he accompanies some of the heroes in certain installments it can be implied he helps defeat villains like Kefka, Ultimecia, the final boss in Revenant Wings, and Caius himself.

But the point is GILGAMESH truly discarded his past even if he was dealt a crappy hand of cards. He tries to make the best of it and tries to retain his humanity or what's left of it by adhering to his original home's customs and mannerisms. As that's all he has left. He is their sole living memory.

jaxword

It'd be cool. All this is doing is making me miss the Mana series, so much. So, so much. Why must you twist the knife, Jax?

Sorry. You can hope and pray for the Mana series to return, but honestly it's dead.

Your best bet and I am actually serious would be to get rich and literally buy the IP yourself and make a new game.

You'd probably have more luck since Koichi Ishii is long gone. Though in fairness he sort of did it to himself, World of Mana was embarrassingly bad.

Top Bottom