• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

This is why Retaliate is meta for Elites
if a Retaliated character receives a Double Cut and the opponent dies to the first hit of the counter attack, the second hit of the counter attack is carried over to the next stage.

Well not a single Greater Orb from mastering the whole daily today. Plus you mostly just get 1 monster per round so you get less chance of orbs anyways. Guess I'll have to wait for the difficulty after Herioc before Greater Orbs become farmable.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well not a single Greater Orb from mastering the whole daily today. Plus you mostly just get 1 monster per round so you get less chance of orbs anyways. Guess I'll have to wait for the difficulty after Herioc before Greater Orbs become farmable.

Heh, JP still maintains a list of elite paintings to farm 4* orbs from, many being 30stam+ per repetition.

edit: Not to say this heroic isn't useful. If you need stuff like Non Elemental orbs, this is by far the best per stam, on top of dropping 3 other types and the occasional 4* (which is a bonus more than anything)

Nohar

Mother of God.

BURN THE WITCH!

Oh well. I'm currently leveling up my characters with the flans. Probably won't be able to bring Summoner, White and Black mage to 50 in time, but at least they will be only a few levels from hitting 50. Terra is 50, Celes 46, Kain 44, Cloud 43, Aerith 43, Rydia 40, BLM+WHM+SMN 36, Cyan 33, Tyro 32, Joseph 30 and Wakka 11 (lol).

Any idea where to farm inferior Power orbs? I want to improve Retaliate.

Road

So divided. Want to continue with flan while they last, but I really need lesser power and non-elemental orbs for double cut, retaliate and breaks.

I guess I'll farm all three and just spend money recovering stamina today, right, dena?

Also people who post pictures of their amazing relic draws should be banned.

Falk

that puzzling face
I've been getting 1-2 Non Elemental Orbs per 15stam. Zero 4*s though lol

Any idea where to farm inferior Power orbs? I want to improve Retaliate.

I wanted to say wait for the daily, but it's grouped with lesser black/white and everyone's got too many of those lol

Try FFIV Underground Waterway (North) or FFVI Opera

Razmos

Eurgh the fucking Coeurls in the late FFIV dungeons. They are like THE anti auto-battle enemy. Counters with insta-death, lovely.

Shahed

Next run I got had 6 Non Elementals in 2 Stages. Worked out well and honed Power and Armour Break once each. Got a Greater Wind which leaves me needing one more for Bladeblitz. From one extreme to the other lol

Red Mage

tumblr_ni9eddJKwJ1rrydmko1_250.gif

Resist the temptation of blowing money on the gatcha, my friends! Do not get caught in the clutches of the RNG.

Not a problem when the RNG actively hates me.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just found out that Retaliate acts more like a short-term buff.

I originally thought that it was like "Defend" in that the stance lasted till you took another action, and for balance purposes would run out regardless after a while, so I've been leaving Cloud sitting there skipping his turn instead of doing stuff after getting Retaliate up.

I've been playing this game wrong. I'm so bad I feel like uninstalling.

Wow.
Wow.
Wow.
Wow.
Wow.
Wow.

Vorpal

Three Mastery clears on the Heroic daily and only one 4* orb (Ice). I was hoping this thing would be a little more conducive towards crafting Bladeblitz but alas!

Xetherion

I just found out that Retaliate acts more like a short-term buff.

I originally thought that it was like "Defend" in that the stance lasted till you took another action, and for balance purposes would run out regardless after a while, so I've been leaving Cloud sitting there skipping his turn instead of doing stuff after getting Retaliate up.

I've been playing this game wrong. I'm so bad I feel like uninstalling.

Wow.
Wow.
Wow.
Wow.
Wow.
Wow.

Heh, i figured this out testing the ability against Reno lol. Never assume, test things for yourself!

Falk

that puzzling face
So technically, I could get retaliate up, then use double cut on myself and it should attack the enemy twice instead.

(you're also supposed to reply with "...")

Nohar

So technically, I could get retaliate up, then use double cut on myself and it should attack the enemy twice instead.

(you're also supposed to reply with "...")

That's what everyone has been doing with the ability so far, yes.

Done 9 runs of heroic orb daily so far. 0 greater orbs. Looks like they will remain very rare, but at least i have a consistent way to farm regulars. The problem now becomes that i still need about 30 lesser power orbs, and if i run heroic I'll get 0 :-/

Maybe I'll gem a few times this Wednesday so i can do both hard and heroic.

Edit: spoke to soon, just got a greater ice. And in other news:

NttsxhDl.jpg

Falk

that puzzling face
That's what everyone has been doing with the ability so far, yes.

No, you don't get it. I mean, same guy (e.g. Cloud) first uses Retaliate and then uses Double Cut on himself, one after another.

It's a genius strategy.

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly I feel like if you can do 9, you should be able to do 10 blowing a camp between every stage. It's sorta like the same idea that with an inadequate power level (abilities, gear, poor synergies, whatever) you can still do one stage of a Hard/Heroic daily by blowing all your abilities.

The problem is, no one is up for wasting a bunch of Mythril that way since if you fail, you're out of some mythril with nothing to show for it. Especially considering the Clear reward is kinda lackluster so it's pretty much Mastery or bust.

I guess we'll see if some of the crazies start trying towards the end of the event period.

Would be cool if there was a way to convert orbs into smaller orbs at a rate of like 1/2. So like sell 20 power orbs in exchange for 40 lesser power orbs.

Wazzy

Banned
Rinoa and Rydia are 50 so now I'm finishing up Wakka and Paladin Cecil and then I'll stop flan grinding. Might get everyone else to 20's so if I feel like getting all to 50 it will be easier.

I want to finish this whole Celes event since it's ending tomorrow and try Rinoa elites.

Vorpal

I still don't get why you would double cut yourself with Retaliate instead of just double cutting the enemy.

Supposedly it doesn't trigger counterattacks in the same way that directly Double Cutting an enemy would. Other than that, I have no idea.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
8d3V3bx.png

Feels goodman.

I can also confirm the notion of stage 2 of heroic seeming to be better for non-elemental orbs, I've been getting them pretty consistently there. Alternatively, 100% of my runs on the first stage have been ice orbs only so far.

Falk

that puzzling face
I still don't get why you would double cut yourself with Retaliate instead of just double cutting the enemy.

That was the joke D:

Imagine someone taking two swings at himself, dodging (pro!) then lunging at an enemy in response.

Apparently I'm really terrible at humor.

If the first hit kills the enemy the second will carry over to the next enemy/round

Of course, even when joking it turns out there was a benefit. That's how bad I am at joking.

From what I've seen, you can't have a character trigger the counter by hitting themself. Teammates can, obviously, but every time I've had Cyan hit himself there was no counter triggered.

So is it impossible to master a floor of the daily dungeon if an enemy uses a breath attack?

I actually did it once, but it was on a floor where all 3 waves were 2 of the dragons. So I was able to OHKO every enemy with either blizzaga or blizzard strike. I got 2/3 medals for damage taken, but 3/3 everything else. But yea, it's very hard if you get hit by a breath.

Yogg

So, for the heroic daily farming and non-elemental orbs, it looks like it's better to stop after stage 2 right ? Stage 3 seems to net a mix of stage 1 & 2 drops, but it's more annoying since abilities counts are getting low.

Also I was willing to buy a few stamina refreshes with gems, but then I realized that for the cost of 1 mythril = 100 gems, gems are much better spent on relic pulls (300 gems instead of 5 mythrils) and mythrils on refreshes. So I guess my cash would be much better spent on relic pulls and mythrils on refreshes rather than the other way around ? I'll give it some more thought before spending anything.

So, for the heroic daily farming and non-elemental orbs, it looks like it's better to stop after stage 2 right ? Stage 3 seems to net a mix of stage 1 & 2 drops, but it's more annoying since abilities counts are getting low.

Also I was willing to buy a few stamina refreshes with gems, but then I realized that for the cost of 1 mythril = 100 gems, gems are much better spent on relic pulls (300 gems instead of 5 mythrils) and mythrils on refreshes. So I guess my cash would be much better spent on relic pulls and mythrils on refreshes rather than the other way around ? I'll give it some more thought before spending anything.

Correct. If you've already committed to being a non free player, then you should use all your available mythril for stamina refreshes (or inventory) and gems for relic pulls. Of course, if you want more stamina refills than you have mythril available, then you've got no choice. But just looking at the conversion rates, since 100 gems gets you closer to a relic pull than 1 mythril, use the mythril for something other than relic pulls.

If you're staying free, then you have to balance the mythril between everything, obviously .

Shahed

The 2ns stage farming for Non Elementals has gone pretty well. I can afford to hone Comet and Armour Break now. Gonna need the Power/Black Orbs from the other Daily first though. Blizzara, Blizzaga, Shiva and Blizzard Strike getting a lot of use. Shame I only have two uses of Blizzaga though.

The 2ns stage farming for Non Elementals has gone pretty well. I can afford to hone Comet and Armour Break now. Gonna need the Power/Black Orbs from the other Daily first though. Blizzara, Blizzaga, Shiva and Blizzard Strike getting a lot of use. Shame I only have two uses of Blizzaga though.
You could do what Falk suggested to me a few pages back and farm onion knights in the Celes event. Purely anecdotal but I was getting 4 or 5 ice orbs each time I spent all my stamina and had enough for 4 Blizzagas the next day.

You could do what Falk suggested to me a few pages back and farm onion knights in the Celes event. Purely anecdotal but I was getting 4 or 5 ice orbs each time I spent all my stamina and had enough for 4 Blizzagas the next day.

Do you have a link? I'm not sure if you're talking about ice orbs or power / black orbs. Because I really could use a good farming spot for power and black orbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom