• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oni_saru

This game is making me want to play Final Fantasy VI.

...and IV and VII, I have both but haven't played them yet either.
Record Keeper is doing a good job of advertising these games to me.
Yeah i really want to play VI now. Moreso than VII. VI seems to have a really interesting story.

My earlier question got lost earlier, but will power wrists eventually become useful as in they'll eventually be leveled up or something? Or should i just get rid of the extra ones i have. I have like 8 of them.

Vorpal

Yeah i really want to play VI now. Moreso than VII. VI seems to have a really interesting story.

My earlier question got lost earlier, but will power wrists eventually become useful as in they'll eventually be leveled up or something? Or should i just get rid of the extra ones i have. I have like 8 of them.

Dump 'em. I saved three just in case, but even that seems unnecessary given the other +Atk accessories from events. There aren't any mechanics re: upgrading/combining accessories, so it's only a matter of how long you think you'll need Power Wrists on 1-5 members of your party

Falk

that puzzling face
I remember when we were so happy to get power wrists because it helped so much with Sephiroth event.

Wow this game is old.

oni_saru

Dump 'em. I saved three just in case, but even that seems unnecessary given the other +Atk accessories from events. There aren't any mechanics re: upgrading/combining accessories, so it's only a matter of how long you think you'll need Power Wrists on 1-5 members of your party
Got it! Thanks!!!

Uwahhh this opens up so much more space to get more items xD

So is Rinoa just meant to be another mage with support abilities? Should I bother to level her for the elite event or just keep using my main team?

Jyrii

Banned
First six elite versions were ok (though I ddn't master Sorcerer's chamber and Deling city sewer - -near the ext), but Deling city sewer exit I cannot even complete.

Falk

that puzzling face
So is Rinoa just meant to be another mage with support abilities? Should I bother to level her for the elite event or just keep using my main team?

The Elite event's increasing difficulty from stage to stage seems scaled in such a way that everyone of all progression levels, from semi-casual all the way up to serious-shit-balls-spends-$1000-on-gacha-and-makes-spreadsheets have something to aim for.

That being said, if you intend to go as far as you can within the event, yes, you'd want to level Rinoa since the extra ten levels she gets from Record Synergy gives her a brute-force edge over the other mages.

With that in mind even then you're likely to not complete the entire thing anyway, so that should probably inform you if you want to bother or not depending on how you approach games.

I got Rinoa to 40 thanks to everyone preaching the benefits of the church of flan.

I need some decent black magic for her now. Where do people have the best luck farming Ice orbs outside of dailies?

Done with No.24now thank god. Got to 100k and the belt thing but I don't have the patience to go any more. Will farm a few more Flans for Rinoa and Tyro but otherwise I'm done with the whole event.

Just doing some Elite Rinoa levels now up until it gets impossible I guess.

Wazzy

Banned
I got tired after work yesterday so I only got Rinoa to 40 :( Her, Rydia and Wakka will hit 50 for sure today.

Also I'm so tempted to do the 11 pull for that SeeD uniform and Rinoa's weapon but knowing my luck I'll get nothing. D:

Falk

that puzzling face
I got Rinoa to 40 thanks to everyone preaching the benefits of the church of flan.

I need some decent black magic for her now. Where do people have the best luck farming Ice orbs outside of dailies?

Are you ready for this?

If you restart Hard mode Magitek Inflitration till Onion Knights show up first, they drop 2* and 3* Ice Orbs along with Round Shield XIIs. You can get them really, REALLY efficiently per stam since it's only 4 stam per run

rofl you thought your magitek nightmare was over

Are you ready for this?

If you restart Hard mode Magitek Inflitration till Onion Knights show up first, they drop 2* and 3* Ice Orbs along with Round Shield XIIs. You can get them really, REALLY efficiently per stam since it's only 4 stam per run

rofl you thought your magitek nightmare was over

Noooooooooooooo.

Thanks

Falk

that puzzling face
BEST PART IS YOU PROBABLY SKIPPED LIKE A BILLION ONION KNIGHTS WHILE FLAN FARMING LOL

How much HP does Elte T-Rex have? Is it 150k as some people have said?

Yup.

edit: Actually, I'm not sure if anyone has actually tested it on EN to objectively quantify it beyond "a lot". It definitely was between 145 and 150k on the Japanese version, manually counting damage numbers on YouTube videos. The rest of the event doesn't seem to be changed from JP though.

Clunker

If anyone here hasn't played IV, VI or VII, you should go ahead and do that right away - amazing games for various different reasons. I think VI is the strongest overall in terms of sort and characters, but I always have a soft spot for IV. it's much more bog-standard as an rpg and linear as hell, but it's my Ocarina: the game I'll play and buy and replay for all eternity. I've bought the game roughly five or six times across different versions and ports, and I love every moment of it.

Re: FFRK - is there any real reason to grind to 50 outside of completionism? I'm only in the mid to high 30s and I'm steamrolling everything I've come across (haven't finished the Elites yet though). Kind of wish I hadn't grinded (ground?) so hard on the Sephiroth event, since this is an auto-battle bore more often than not now. It's still oddly satisfying in a Progress quest kind of way, though, and the sprite work and music is worth the time investment.

Wazzy

Banned
Re: FFRK - is there any real reason to grind to 50 outside of completionism? I'm only in the mid to high 30s and I'm steamrolling everything I've come across (haven't finished the Elites yet though). Kind of wish I hadn't grinded (ground?) so hard on the Sephiroth event, since this is an auto-battle bore more often than not now. It's still oddly satisfying in a Progress quest kind of way, though, and the sprite work and music is worth the time investment.
Some of the elites definitely require your party to be 50 but getting everyone is more a completion/preparation thing. I want other party members ready in case of special requirement events and bosses more prone to go down with specific parties.

The Elite event's increasing difficulty from stage to stage seems scaled in such a way that everyone of all progression levels, from semi-casual all the way up to serious-shit-balls-spends-$1000-on-gacha-and-makes-spreadsheets have something to aim for.

That being said, if you intend to go as far as you can within the event, yes, you'd want to level Rinoa since the extra ten levels she gets from Record Synergy gives her a brute-force edge over the other mages.

With that in mind even then you're likely to not complete the entire thing anyway, so that should probably inform you if you want to bother or not depending on how you approach games.

So unless I'm willing to throw lots of hard cash to get a mostly 4-5 star gear and level 50 party don't bother with the rinoa elite boss levels?

Roto13

If anyone here hasn't played IV, VI or VII, you should go ahead and do that right away - amazing games for various different reasons. I think VI is the strongest overall in terms of sort and characters, but I always have a soft spot for IV. it's much more bog-standard as an rpg and linear as hell, but it's my Ocarina: the game I'll play and buy and replay for all eternity. I've bought the game roughly five or six times across different versions and ports, and I love every moment of it.

There will eventually be an update that gives you Materia whenever one of your characters (except some of the basic classes) reaches level 50, and some of the Materia is really useful. That update will also raise the level limit to 65.

Falk

that puzzling face
So unless I'm willing to throw lots of hard cash to get a mostly 4-5 star gear and level 50 party don't bother with the rinoa elite boss levels?

No, the first few are actually easier than lv30-35 elite paintings. They're completely worth doing for the summon orbs/mythril/5* orbs/etc. They just gradually ramp up through to impossibility (with current gear/abilities/lv cap, anyway) so you'll know when you're getting in over your head, and even then think of it as a call-to-arms to see how you can squeeze more power level out of your lineup, gacha $$$ or not.

There will eventually be an update that gives you Materia whenever one of your characters (except some of the basic classes) reaches level 50, and some of the Materia is really useful. That update will also raise the level limit to 65.

To be more accurate, updates add quests for certain characters, which does the above (raises their limit, gives materia slot, gives materia) and characters that currently don't ostensibly -should- get their comeuppins eventually. Also Cloud on JP got a second break limit very recently which further raises the cap to 80.

If we transpose the release schedule we should start seeing our first Record Materia quests in about a month.

No, the first few are actually easier than lv30-35 elite paintings. They're completely worth doing for the summon orbs/mythril/5* orbs/etc. They just gradually ramp up through to impossibility (with current gear/abilities/lv cap, anyway) so you'll know when you're getting in over your head, and even then think of it as a call-to-arms to see how you can squeeze more power level out of your lineup, gacha $$$ or not.

I fought the T-Rex, that was the wall for me. I did ok at the boss, but just getting to him was almost impossible. They have really high defense, so my 4* weapons just aren't cutting it. Best i can do is about 850 damage per hit, which isn't enough to kill anything in 2 hits. They all seem to have around 2200 hp. So by the time i got there i had used a bunch of my abilities. I feel like i did somewhere in the vicinity of 70k damage to him, but I'm not sure how close that is.

Roto13

I'm halfway through my persumably final run through the Magitek Research Facility on Hard. I'd be done by now except apparently the 5k set of enemies just doesn't exist in my game any more, only 4k and below.

I said I wouldn't do it but I'm going to get that fucking orb.

Then I'm going to do what I can in the Rinoa event.

Then go for the dailies once I hit a wall.

Jeez... Apparently someone on Reddit finished the Elite Rinoa dungeons with zero mythril used:

http://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/35fqjq/zero_mythril_run_mastered/

His party setup:

qL8Epczl.jpg

Cloud, Level 50, Lv 4 Blizzard Strike, Lv 2 Blizzara Strike, Galbadian Blade++, Diamond Helm, Hero's Ring
Rinoa, Level 40, Lv 3 Boost, Lv 5 Cura, Light Rod, Gaia Vest, Earring
Sephiroth, Level 50, Lv 3 Double Cut, Lv 3 Double Cut, Cat Claws, Red Jacket, Hyper Wrist
Wakka, Level 50, Level 2 Power Break, Level 1 Armor Break, Official Ball, Galbadian Armor+, Power Wrist
Aerith, Level 50, Level 3 Curaga, Level 3 Slow, Light Staff, Feathered Hat, Protect Ring

I don't even want to know how much save scumming was needed for that. *shivers*

Falk

that puzzling face
Official Ball stronk

edit:

Nah, looking at that picture, he did T-Rex. There's no way you're doing Iguions or Edea (which also includes Iguions) with that setup.

edit2: Yeah, reading the thread itself confirms it - it's T-Rex elite mastered, which is pretty much a realistic goal for this event. Grats to him for being fast!

Fun fact for the guy looking for onion knights

After a flan battle is always an onion knight battle so if you have anyone under 50 you should bring them while hunting onion knights

Falk

that puzzling face
For what it's worth, my target party next week before taking on T-Rex for mastery/Angel Wings reward is

Cloud (Buster Sword) Blizzara Strike 3/Retaliate 3
Sephiroth (Galbadia Sword ++) Double Cut 3/Double Cut 2
Rinoa (lv50+synergy) Cura 5/Intimidate 2
Aerith Kirin 2/Boost 3
Tidus (lol no Official Ball), Armor Break 2/Power Break 2

Essentially:
- Tidus is a debuff-bot (including his Break for slow)
- 2 casters might seem stupid for a boss that counters magic, but that's where Retaliate comes in. Whenever they have a turn, they should be doing a Cloud's turn worth of damage, not their own.
- Retaliate and Boost at high use count helps with trash, for the same reason.
- Kirin helps counter AOE, very limited use though.
- Intimidate (which has a high chance to paralyze) should help mulligan T-Rex if HP gets really low and Seal Evil isn't charged.
- Since I RNG'd a Buster Sword (my only 5* ever!) Cloud is the main source of DPS. The idea is to Boost him, keep him Boosted, blow all Blizzara Strikes fast, then perma-Retaliate. Even Sephiroth will double cut him when retaliate is up.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to Mastery without all-starring at least two stages prior, since Official Ball is a massive DPS boost and I expect to lose 4, maybe 5 stars (3 action, 2 damage taken) ono T-Rex

If stars during trash becomes a problem I might hone Quake as well and use it to cheese two of the stages prior. It'll replace Intimidate, and with Rinoa packing a shit ton of MAG + RS, it should help 1shot a few waves.

Overall I'm surprised how similar my planned setup is to that one. From having Aerith and Rinoa to having Sephiroth with two Double Cuts lol

Paches

I am happy to find out that T-Rex is mostly a wall. I haven't spent any money and just couldn't get through his insane HP pool. I got to him limping and just couldn't beat him down fast enough after my blind attacks wore off.

SougoXIII

Doesn't poison do 2k + per tick on the T-rex? Sleep + Poison + Ice nuke from mages wll be my strat when the time comes. I don't think the T-rex is such a wall since it's so open to abuse. However 2 Iguions + Seifer + Edea is essentially a gear check so RIP with that.

Falk

that puzzling face
Would have considered sleep + magic if I'd rolled a 5* magic item instead of buster sword lol. Problem with Sleep is that it makes your physical dps useless.

Good call on Poison though. gotta figure out who to slot that in. Maybe Biora instead of Intimidate.

edit: I guess Blind is another alternative to sleep for a magic-oriented strat and physical DPS can still do stuff. Only thing T-Rex is immune to is Death/Gravity

edit2: I highly doubt there's any feasible way to clear Iguions+Seifer+Edea as it is without camping in between each stage AND having ridiculously good gacha (say, 2 FF8 items) AND having honed-out-your-ass abilities like 4 shots of Quake AND savescumming a ton.

And that's not even for Mastery.

Razmos

Good call on Poison though. gotta figure out who to slot that in. Maybe Biora instead of Intimidate.
Bio/Biora doesn't inflict the status though does it? I think Bio/Biora is the Poison elemental spell and Poison is the status spell.

Road

How much HP does Elte T-Rex have? Is it 150k as some people have said?

Full elite event monster stats: http://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/35ifj6/elite_to_slay_a_sorceress_stats/

The last stage is impossible without wasting mythril. Some mobs have 500+ defense. lol And I thought No. 24 414 defense was ridiculous.

I hope someone starts a wiki with all that data.

Bio/Biora doesn't inflict the status though does it? I think Bio/Biora is the Poison elemental spell and Poison is the status spell.

Bio/Biora have like a 1% chance of inflicting poison.

Shahed

Panicked for a bit since I got the Google Account Error and the game wouldn't boot. Messed around for half an hour to no avail. Finally found a fix by installing Google Sound Services.

If my save progress had gone I wouldn't have started again. That would have been me done

Shouta

It doesn't hurt to try but if you can't beat it, don't worry and just keep working on other things and farming in general. Even in the JP version where I have tons of 5 star equipment, the last few fights in the Special Events are near impossible without the right strategy and enough uses to do it. I'm on Barret/Cloud's special event and I'm two away from getting Cloud's second Limit Break but it's a 4 boss rush before a really tough one ;(

kiryogi

Banned
Battle on the Big Bridge, Gilga-fucking-mesh, All the jobs, The endgame ultimate weapon hunts, the Esper hunts, The crazy secret fucking Ultima Weapon-ish boss, the backstory to Butz and the previous band of heroes.... I could go on man

Summons and Bladeblitz are your friend. Quake does zero damage.

Yeah FFV is substantial in that regard, but again where is the mass market appeal aside from maybe Gilgamesh being a long running thing for the series post V? The current point of focus of the global release of Record Keeper and it's content schedule is catering to the western masses.

I mean, one good example of mass appeal is seeing what FF characters are in Kingdom Hearts kind of speaks accolades of what the demographic wants. It's mostly VII/VIII/X, with a little VI/IX in there.

Vorpal

Yeah FFV is substantial in that regard, but again where is the mass market appeal aside from maybe Gilgamesh being a long running thing for the series post V? The current point of focus of the global release of Record Keeper and it's content schedule is catering to the western masses.

I mean, one good example of mass appeal is seeing what FF characters are in Kingdom Hearts kind of speaks accolades of what the demographic wants. It's mostly VII/VIII/X, with a little VI/IX in there.

I think the other posters are aware that FFV isn't as popular as FFVII/X. The "racist against FFV" comment was made tongue in cheek. It would just be cool to see more FFV content because it's a hella good game. My dream party would just be Galuf in 5 different jobs.

with a little VI/IX in there.
inappropriate

I wish I could get some of these better skills, need so many non elemental orbs :(

Been grinding flans with wm/bm/sum/rinoa to work towards record materia and getting Rinoa up to par so she can help with whatever ff8 elites I can do

I wish I could get some of these better skills, need so many non elemental orbs :(

Been grinding flans with wm/bm/sum/rinoa to work towards record materia and getting Rinoa up to par so she can help with whatever ff8 elites I can do

Ugh, I need them too. I need to make my status break skills. =(

They have been slowly trickling in on North Mountain Elite (FFV).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom