• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why oh why have my 3 5* weapon pulls been the guard stick and two judgment staves. Guard stick strong on mag, middling on mnd, and the opposite for the judgment staff. So if I want aeris as a healer, do I go her stick and heal wind(usually my choice) with curaga and biora/agas or this super sexy 6* judgment staff that I will get to level 25 on weapon upgrade day. I feel guilty with the staff just sitting in my inventory rusting or rotting as it were. I guess I could roll a team with aeris as a black Mage with healing wind and two offensive spells and a white Mage with the staff and curaga/dis/other, but that seems like healing overkill in a game that penalizes for long battles. Hmm. First world problems I guess.

Give the stick to black mage and staff to aerith

Shouta

I think the Dia line does damage based on Mind/Spirit instead of magic power so that's a good one to equip on your healer if you don't want to use buffs in their second slot. That's what I do with my healers in the JP version to keep them relevant.

Though I could be wrong, I'll have to test it out with my mage weapons in a bit.

Wazzy

Banned
Except that there is no reason to equip Linoa with thrown weapons unless you unlocked her unique weapon (which you did IIRC), and more often than not it is probably more interesting to equip them with strong black magic, a powerful rod, and call it a day.

Quick recap (level 50 stats):
  • Terra has 3350 HP - Rinoa has 3015. Advantage Terra.
  • Terra has 71 attack - Rinoa has 76 attack. Advantage Rinoa.
  • Terra has 120 magic -Rinoa has 120 magic. It's a tie.
  • Terra has 58 defense - Rinoa has 58 defense. It's a tie.
  • Terra has 102 resistance - Rinoa has 83 resistance. Advantage Terra.
  • Terra's SB is physical and has its damages reduced by half if used in the back row - Rinoa's SB is physical and is long-ranged.
  • Terra can equip Armors (!), making her far more durable than Rinoa, though the latter can equip Light armors. For the sake of comparison: Rydia can only equip Robes, Hats and Bracers.
  • Both can use 5* Black Magic and 3* White Magic (but can't equip Staves). Terra has 4* Support, whereas Rinoa is restricted to 3* (so no Wrath, Mental Breakdown and Magic Breakdown... not much of a loss). Finally, Rinoa can use 2* Celerity abilities, which is nice I guess, but other characters are better fitted to use them (such as Luneth).
All in all, Terra is the clear winner, having slightly better stats where it counts, and her ability to wear armors makes her much tankier than her FF8 counterpart. Rinoa may get the upper hand if you are lucky enough to get her unique weapon, which is ranged, allowing her to deal nice damages from the back row (probably not enough to outright kill some enemies in Elite dungeons, but surely enough to finish off a weakened one, and of course she becomes a killing machine when used in FF8 world).

Oh, and Rydia has 2345 HP, 43 Defense and 102 Resistance at level 50. And can only equip Robes, Bracers and Hats, as previously mentioned. So, yeah, in any case both Terra and Rinoa are better than Rydia (though she is still an asset if you can exploit summoning).
Rydia, why you so squishy?
As I said in my post, it comes down to the gear and dungeons you're using them in. Overall Terra might be better but it's not this huge leap or anything making both fantastic BM party members. It's not the obvious decision like Rydia against both of them. :p
Terra can wear heavier armor and take more hits. That's a pretty big advantage, especially over the ability to use throw weapons, which is useless unless you have her character weapon.

Her character weapon is a throw weapon but anyway as I said, it's all dependent on the gear available to you. If someone has one's relic weapon but not the others, it's obvious to use the one with the relic. Stat wise they're pretty close so it's not some big thing to use one over the other unless you're in a character specific realm.

Nohar

Dia indeed does damage based on Mind instead of Intelligence as far as I know. However, the only Dia spell available right now if the 2* one, which has a 1.5 modifier to damage, making it as weak as a regular Fire/Blizzard/Thunder spell, and enemies who are weak to Holy damages are few and far between. Not really worth the orbs at the moment.

@Wazzy: Frankly, I think you have a bias here, with you getting Rinoa's weapon (not to mention you like her a lot, judging by your avatar) :p But yeah, both are good, though I think that Terra is better (simply being able to equip Armors makes her far more durable, which is a huge leap in my book).
At least we can all agree that poor little Rydia is as fragile as a wet paper bag.

I wished they buffed Kain's strenght already (he has +15 or +20 strenght in the JP version compared to ours).

Roto13

Just have the X Elites left. Would like to get Firaga before attempting them. (I know, right? I don't have it yet!) Need black magic orbs. But I think I'm just going to grind the orb daily for the rest of the day.

Side note: I have 100 mythril exactly now.

Her character weapon is a throw weapon but anyway as I said, it's all dependent on the gear available to you.

Terra's character weapon is a sword that makes her viable in the front row (as well as boosting her magic, of course), and gives her Trance Fira which is awesome. :p

Shouta

Dia indeed does damage based on Mind instead of Intelligence as far as I know. However, the only Dia spell available right now if the 2* one, which has a 1.5 modifier to damage, making it as weak as a regular Fire/Blizzard/Thunder spell, and enemies who are weak to Holy damages are few and far between. Not really worth the orbs at the moment.

You'll get Adia and Dadia eventually which are worth the Orbs. My Adia has 10 uses now and really lets my Healer do work during a dungeon if they don't need to heal.

Falk

that puzzling face
Repeat (condensed) reminder that at this point you probably want to hoard your Mythril and blow some of it on the XIII banner (when Vanille event hits), since the next set of paintings ends with some nail-biting XIII Elites.

Wazzy

Banned
Finally back up to enough mythril for an 11 pull! I'm gonig to keep hoarding for Squall.
@Wazzy: Frankly, I think you have a bias here, with you getting Rinoa's weapon (not to mention you like her a lot, judging by your avatar) :p But yeah, both are good, though I think that Terra is better (simply being able to equip Armors makes her far more durable, which is a huge leap in my book).
At least we can all agree that poor little Rydia is as fragile as a wet paper bag.

I wished they buffed Kain's strenght already (he has +15 or +20 strenght in the JP version compared to ours).
I obviously prefer Rinoa but I'm not willing to deny Terra has her strengths over Rinoa. :p I just don't think it's anything that's a deciding factor if someone wanted to use one over the other, especially because realm and gear synergy is extremely important.

Anyway I still think people should use both for two fantastic BM's!
Just have the X Elites left. Would like to get Firaga before attempting them. (I know, right? I don't have it yet!) Need black magic orbs. But I think I'm just going to grind the orb daily for the rest of the day.

Side note: I have 100 mythril exactly now.

Terra's character weapon is a sword that makes her viable in the front row (as well as boosting her magic, of course), and gives her Trance Fira which is awesome. :p
Terra is no doubt an amazing character. I personally want to fit her into my party somehow once she's 50, I just am pointing out that gear and dungeon synergy does change who is more usable.

Nohar

Terra and Rinoa in the same party? That would be overkill! MADNESS!!!

... Gosh I want Quake already.

Anyhow, finally completed Imperial Camp (FF6 - Elite). I just need to complete Daryl's Tomb now and I'm done with FF6 Elites. I will need to do the Dwarf Castle (FF4) again and North Mountain (FF5) before trying the new Elite Dungeons. I'm not exactly thrilled to try FF8 dungeons with little to no equipment to synergize, and I'm not quite sure I will be able to beat the Black Widow 4 times in a row, especially if its HP are 35,000 during the first 3 encounters, and 75,000 during the last one.

Interfectum

I'm playing through the FF13 paintings now. I had almost forgotten what mess that game's story is. It's hilarious watching them trying to summarize that shit in small paragraphs.

beanman25

Newer to the game. Everyone I have is about level 14-15.

What should I be doing? Completing dungeons for stamina upgrades? Saving Myhtril?

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm playing through the FF13 paintings now. I had almost forgotten what mess that game's story is. It's hilarious watching them trying to summarize that shit in small paragraphs.

Oh come on, virtually all the others are just about as disjointed.

What should I be doing? Completing dungeons for stamina upgrades? Saving Myhtril?

Yes, and yes, although at that early stage 3* loot of any sort from each 5-mythril single pull will massively increase your power level if you're struggling. Once you're decently geared out you'll want to save for 11-pulls though, since 1 extra pull of disappointment is better than zero extra pulls of disappointment.

Wazzy

Banned
Terra and Rinoa in the same party? That would be overkill! MADNESS!!!

... Gosh I want Quake already.

Anyhow, finally completed Imperial Camp (FF6 - Elite). I just need to complete Daryl's Tomb now and I'm done with FF6 Elites. I will need to do the Dwarf Castle (FF4) again and North Mountain (FF5) before trying the new Elite Dungeons. I'm not exactly thrilled to try FF8 dungeons with little to no equipment to synergize, and I'm not quite sure I will be able to beat the Black Widow 4 times in a row, especially if its HP are 35,000 during the first 3 encounters, and 75,000 during the last one.

I also really need Quake. Would have made mastering the elite Iguions so much easier. :(

The Dollet elite is actually pretty easy as long as you have a lot of thunder moves. Ideal party would be something like Cloud, Tidus, Sephiroth, Terra and Rinoa and then equip them all with things like thunder strike, Thundara, Thundaga, etc. First three times only use a couple thunder moves but not all since you would want to save that for the last fight and mainly to get the condition. As long as some of those are honed too, you'll have an even easier time since Terra and Rinoa will do major damage.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Terra is no doubt an amazing character. I personally want to fit her into my party somehow once she's 50, I just am pointing out that gear and dungeon synergy does change who is more usable.

Yeah if you can score someone's weapon, it makes such a big difference. I have Terra's weapon and she just dominates everything.

Wazzy

Banned
Ugh there's so many VI elites. I should have worked on them a long time ago but kind of left them. Oh well, more mythril for me!

Definitely work on dungeons. The level you're at you probably won't be able to get Rinoa before the event ends but if you keep playing through the main you might have a chance.

Most importantly save mythril for 11 pulls. Like Falk said, if you're struggling it might be better to do a couple 5 pulls to get some gear but otherwise saving is the best option.

Yeah if you can score someone's weapon, it makes such a big difference. I have Terra's weapon and she just dominates everything.

I wish I could land it. I mean I'm obviously more happy to have Rinoa's but it would be beastly to have both with their relics.

I guess I can't complain that much since my party is pretty geared out, heh.

Nohar

Just complete Normal Dungeons for now. Ideally I would advise you to try to get Rinoa before her event ends, but I'm afraid this is going to be difficult.

Forget about Elite Dungeons until you completed most Normal ones. Once your team is in the level 30+ range, try one of the easiest (FF7) to see if you can take them. That being said, it is probably safer to complete all Normal dungeons available before trying the Elite ones.

As for Mythril: it is advised to store them until you get 50 of them. Then you will be able to use them for a 11 pull (you get one more item for free that way). However, since you just began, it may be a good idea to try a few pulls right now in order to get a good weapon or two (or, if you are lucky, Rinoa's weapon - though if you can't unlock her in time that weapon will only be really useful to Wakka). Anyhow, try to go as far as possible without spending Mythril. If you find yourself unable to master Normal dungeons, consider spending some.

Finally: craft useful abilities! They are mandatory if you wish to succeed in this game. Since you just began, you won't be able to craft anything really powerful, though there are some good options to consider. Get Cure ASAP, and Fire/Blizzard/Thunder. Blade Bash is a very nice ability to have for now too, since it can paralyze your foes (and there are a couple of bosses which can be paralyzed ~ however, it only has a 10% success rate, don't rely on it, view that ability as an occasional bonus). Boost is a nice support ability which boosts one's character damage for 30 seconds or so (very useful early on, since you don't really have much better abilities to equip ~ careful though and choose which character you want to boost, otherwise the game will buff one at random).

When you will get Lesser Orbs, you will definitly want to unlock the following: Cura (which you can and should hone as much as possible, it will remain useful for a long time), Fira/Blizzara/Thundara (they are way more powerful than the regular ones), Double Cut, Retaliate (if you are using Cyan and know how to abuse this ability), Fire/Blizzard/Thunder Strike (very powerful abilities which only Cloud and Tyro can use ~ Celes can too, but you missed her), Bio and Watera.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bad: music in Karnak is headache inducing
Hilarious dungeon, it's such a silly track. It's like they tried to make it as unpleasant as possible by having it playing nonstop, on floor select, normal battles and the boss.

Balphon

Trance Fira is probably the main reason I've completed the majority of the content that I have.

Most enemies that are weak to Holy are also undead, so you can just cast Cure on them.

Shouta

Having the Dia series isn't just about hitting weakness. The later ones also hit pretty well even on regular enemies so it's worth it to keep your healer dealing damage and not just a curebot.

Faithless

I am confused about combining equipment. I have multiple copies of equipment, but when I enter the "Combine Equipment" screen, all of the copies are blacked out and say "LOW LVL."

Do I have to level up an ability to combine? Or do you have to max out an item before you can combine it with one of a lower level? I've tried Google searching this, but don't know how to phrase the question to get an answer.

Meneses

I am confused about combining equipment. I have multiple copies of equipment, but when I enter the "Combine Equipment" screen, all of the copies are blacked out and say "LOW LVL."

Do I have to level up an ability to combine? Or do you have to max out an item before you can combine it with one of a lower level? I've tried Google searching this, but don't know how to phrase the question to get an answer.

You upgrade item number 1 to the max, then combine that item 1 with item 2 (base level, no need to upgrade it). You'll get a + version of the item.

Then, upgrade that + version to the max, and then combine with item 3 (base level). You'll get a ++ version, which is the max you can upgrade.

Faithless

You upgrade item number 1 to the max, then combine that item 1 with item 2 (base level, no need to upgrade it). You'll get a + version of the item.

Then, upgrade that + version to the max, and then combine with item 3 (base level). You'll get a ++ version, which is the max you can upgrade.

Thank you, sir. Thank you.

Meneses

You're welcome :)

Btw, I don't believe any of you when you say you got Greater orbs from the Heroic daily, I've been trying all day :(

I've gotten a few greater orbs... But what I REALLY want is non elemental orbs 3 stars, on hard I only get lesser and on heroic I get everything but that :(

Edit: seriously I've gotten 2 greater non elemental orbs before getting a single 3 star :|

Wilsongt

Pulled Cyan's weapon at the end of 6 pulls. Also got Ice Armor, Ice Helm ( can make both +), 4* ffx sword, another 4* sword, and genji armour.

Roto13

How do I abuse airplane mode to retry for boss drops? Turn it on, kill the boss, and if it doesn't give me what I want, close the app and hit "cancel" when it asks me to resume?

Pulled Cyan's weapon at the end of 6 pulls. Also got Ice Armor, Ice Helm ( can make both +), 4* ffx sword, another 4* sword, and genji armour.

Nice. Cyan's weapon is a great one to pull from the current thing.

What's the best place to get a greater dark orb?

Phantom Train Elite appears to be pretty good. 25 stamina to reach the boss, then about 15.45 stamina to get the drop (average over 34 samples). That's like 2.5 Greater Darks per bar of stamina if you're maxed at 100.

Roto13

Phantom Train Elite appears to be pretty good. 25 stamina to reach the boss, then about 15.45 stamina to get the drop (average over 34 samples). That's like 2.5 Greater Darks per bar of stamina if you're maxed at 100.

And Phantom Train mobs are big so I'll probably get more other drops on the way. :p Thanks.

Xetherion

You're welcome :)

Btw, I don't believe any of you when you say you got Greater orbs from the Heroic daily, I've been trying all day :(

I've gotten 2 4* orbs from the Heroic today, but last Thursday I farmed all day and only got 1. It's just rng.

I've gotten a few greater orbs... But what I REALLY want is non elemental orbs 3 stars, on hard I only get lesser and on heroic I get everything but that :(

Edit: seriously I've gotten 2 greater non elemental orbs before getting a single 3 star :|

According to reddit, for this daily the drops depend on what stage you're doing. Stage 1 does not drop NE but Stage 2 has a high chance of NE, so just keep doing Stage 2 if you want NE. My own experience is confirming this to be true, been getting 1 to 3 NE orbs every time i do Stage 2.

And one of the 4* orbs was a Greater Wind Orb, the last one I need for Bladeblitz! No Humbaba farming for me :)

I've gotten 2 4* orbs from the Heroic today, but last Thursday I farmed all day and only got 1. It's just rng.

According to reddit, for this daily the drops depend on what stage you're doing. Stage 1 does not drop NE but Stage 2 has a high chance of NE, so just keep doing Stage 2 if you want NE. My own experience is confirming this to be true, been getting 1 to 3 NE orbs every time i do Stage 2.

I'd be tough to grind the heroic stage 2 I simply don't have the honed abilities to do so nor the levels/gear to endure the hits. Guess I'd better grind hard next week

SunGod

I love elite Mist Cave, had Snow, Knight, Luneth, Warrior of Light and Gordon clearing it all day and picked up 5 greater earth orbs already, and that's not counting the 100 stamina I had saved up when I woke up (wasted it trying to pick up lesser power orbs)

I'll probably just farm scarletite tomorrow but I'm hoping for more of the same on Wednesday!

Protectga, shellga, armor breakdown and quake all require greater earth orbs to create/hone. Don't miss out guys!

Falk

that puzzling face
I believe getting a non-banner character 5* from another banner's rare draw is in the same odds ballpark as pulling it from a common draw, for whatever that's worth.

roflrofl

Xetherion

Is it worth using him with it? I just got it on my 11 pull but figured he would still suck and planned to let Cloud or Sephiroth use it instead.

The new Soul Breaks granted by character specific weapons usually have a really high dmg modifier which would make it worth it. I don't know what Cyan's is though so not 100% sure.

Perhaps heroic dailies aren't the right place to try and level the new characters lol waaaaay too much save scumming but hey got a decent haul of stuff and got 4-5 levels for wol so all around win.

Negator

Someone on reddit made a thread about Cavern of Earth 1 Stage 3 elite. It has about 1k exp/stam and drops 2/3* Fire/Earth/Black orbs. Pretty good when you want to farm a little bit of everything.

Prototype

I'm at 30 mythril so I'm gonna just wait for 50. Haven't done an 11 pull yet and since I'm rather close I'll wait and see what happens.

My only fear is getting a 5* for a character I don't like/want.. In a way it'd be worse than not getting one at all. At least the nothing can't taunt me.

Roto13

I'm at 30 mythril so I'm gonna just wait for 50. Haven't done an 11 pull yet and since I'm rather close I'll wait and see what happens.

My only fear is getting a 5* for a character I don't like/want.. In a way it'd be worse than not getting one at all. At least the nothing can't taunt me.

Most weapons are useful for more than one character.

Falk

that puzzling face
p.s. 4 x 0.8 is far more useful than Braver being capped at 9999 at this point.

Moreso when Armor Breakdown finally gets released (wtf DeNA)

I dunno.... I'm kinda falling out of love with this game. It's becoming a chore... I just can't bring myself to be excited about orb farming and save scumming and trying to master ridiculous elites... :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom