• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
Believe me you're gonna hump all FFV gear you can find for the next month because the elites are the hardest of this lot (even with Intimidate cheese)

My Sephiroth and Cloud were rocking 1*++ Bronze Armor and Copper Cuirass

Did my second 11 pull on Tyro's banner and didn't bother to screen cap. Four 4*s, all from FFVI which I have more than enough gear of already, and only one I could combine. The rest 3*s, a mix of most V and VI. feels bad man

Roto13

Got the mythril from the heroic daily but I don't think I'll be using that dungeon to grind until I have a party of characters with a raised level cap or something.

Doing the Library of Ancients Elite. Page 64 has Level 5 Death. :x

Wazzy

Banned
I hate all of you

it's ok I got Mesmerize Blade and you don't

4* > 5*

*intense sobbing*
I also have a Mesmerize blade.
udh3b6F.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Do we know for sure when an action is actually counted? Is it when you select the action or when the character acts on it?

Nohar

Doing the same as Pixy, except I level up Snow instead of Gordon.

Someone finally created the TvTropes page for the game. Can't... stop... adding... stuff...

Falk

that puzzling face
Do we know for sure when an action is actually counted? Is it when you select the action or when the character acts on it?

From my playstyle (queueing up more attacks than I usually need per round) I'm PREEETTY sure it's when it goes off, but not 100%.

Not really sure how we'd even test this lol

Yogg

Well, it seems I'm stuck on the last elite dungeons. Second boss of kilika woods is destroying me, and I only have 2 intimidate charges. I think I'll go back to humbaba for a while to get blitzblade for those annoying trash rounds.

Does Hold work as good as Intimidate ? I can hone Hold but can't afford to hone Intimidate yet.

Vorpal

Edit: oh wait judgement staff is a mind weapon?! Lol fuck me

uEtz8CKl.jpg

My friend, you've received the key to unlocking Aerith's full potential...!

I use Aerith as a backup nuker with Dia and it's pretty great. That and Cura are easy enough to hone that she rarely runs out of casts. Cura heals 75-80% per cast for my level 50 frontliners and Dia either does respectable damage or, in the case of enemies weak to Holy, awesome damage.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, it seems I'm stuck on the last elite dungeons. Second boss of kilika woods is destroying me, and I only have 2 intimidate charges. I think I'll go back to humbaba for a while to get blitzblade for those annoying trash rounds.

Does Hold work as good as Intimidate ? I can hone Hold but can't afford to hone Intimidate yet.

Sinspawn? I don't think additional shots of Paralyze will help you there - you need to burst down the two tentacles ASAP because they hurt.

Also there seems to be a weird interaction when he comes out of the ground. I had armor break on him previously and when he came out suddenly everything physical was hitting for him for 9999. Suspect it may be similar calculation as the VIT0 exploit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
jKS7E8x.png

mCHlwPv.gif

I wasn't even expecting the mastery this time because when I reached the T-Rex I realized I had accidentally equipped Bio instead of Poison. Thankfully it was still enough and after I got Dark Buster to stick the blindness it was smooth sailing. I made some changes to my previous setup and this time I went with:

Cloud lv 50: Blizzard Strike lv 2, Blizzara Strike lv 1 / Blitz Sword, Galbadian Armor++, Hero's Ring
Sephiroth lv 50: Bio lv 2 (should have been poison), Double Cut lv 3 / Danjuro, Crystal Armor++, Hero's Ring
Dark Cecil lv 50: Armor Break lv 2, Double Cut lv 3 / Galbadian Blade++, Mythril Mail++, Hyper Wrist
Rinoa lv 50: Dark Buster lv 2, Curaga lv 2 / Moonring Blade, Balamb Garden Uniform, Earring
Terra lv 47: Blizarra lv 4, Blizzaga lv 2 / Light Rod, Regal Gown, Earring

Road

I have really fallen behind. Today I finished the new classics...

Not sure if I'll start the elites now or farm some greater orbs to try to beat T-Rex and Iguions in the Rinoa event. Don't think I'll level up the new guys today.

Farming rare drops is lame enough for me to never do it.

Yeah, I have no idea how people farmed those Whips and Black Cows. Boss farming is tedious as hell. Even farming Humbaba for Greater Wind Orbs is chore. I preferred Flans because auto-battle. If only we could save our party setups already.

But I really need to hone Quake and Bladeblitz. Protectga is just a pipe dream.

Yogg

Sinspawn? I don't think additional shots of Paralyze will help you there - you need to burst down the two tentacles ASAP because they hurt.

Also there seems to be a weird interaction when he comes out of the ground. I had armor break on him previously and when he came out suddenly everything physical was hitting for him for 9999. Suspect it may be similar calculation as the VIT0 exploit.

Well at least paralyze can stop the main boss' breath attacks while I (try to) deal with the tentacles. But was never able to kill the tentacles fast enough, they're not vulnerable to fire and my retaliate setup was only hitting them for 1300. I'll try to hone a few things and get better prepared for next time. More importantly I'll try to get the first boss down without wasting too many vital abilities.

Nohar

Are all 4 of these characters worth levelling in the current meta, or are some not very useful?

Are you talking about the new ones (Snow, Luneth, Gordon, Warrior of Light)?

Snow is a bulkier Josef (with way more HP and Defense), but he lacks Josef's weapon choices, being restricted to Daggers and Fists. However, if you have a good weapon to equip him with, he seems to be a very solid fighter, with a Soul Break enhancing his survivability. His Attack caps at 104 at level 50, whereas Josef caps at 114. Overall, I think Snow is better than Josef, unless you don't have a good weapon for him.

Gordon is... lackluster. While he can equip Swords, Spears and Bows, his Attack is bad (75, which is below every front line fighter, barring the Core classes). His Magic stat isn't that bad (102)... except that he is unable to equip Rods, only Staves. Finally, he has access to rank 3 Black and White Magic, and rank 5 Support.
Frankly, he is pathetic. He could make a decent back row fighter equiped with a Bow, but Wakka can do the same, only better. I would not bother with him, he is outclassed by everyone.

Warrior of Light and Luneth are both front-line fighters, with very solid stats and identical equipment choices (both can use Daggers, Swords, Hammers and Axes, which is very nice). WoL is bulkier, while Luneth has a slightly better Attack stat (98 vs 105). Regarding their ability choices and Soul Break:
  • Both have Rank 5 combat.
  • Both have Celerity, although Luneth's rank is 3 whereas WoL is 2.
  • WoL has rank 5 Knight, whereas Luneth has Rank 3 Support.
  • WoL's Soul Break increases all of his stats, whereas Luneth's increases only his Attack. Need more information regarding their respective duration.
Frankly, it is difficult to say which one is better. WoL seems to be a better option, but Luneth has access to rank 3 Support abilities, something which can be very useful. Both are good, and one can easily replace Kain in one's team.

Meneses

I actually ignored the tentacles and went straight to the boss with physical attacks, mainly boosted Cloud and a little bit of Tifa (I have both their weapons). Fire Strike with Cloud helped get the Target Score, and I guess Retaliate should make it easier, but I didn't have it.

I had wasted all my heals before everyone was kinda half dead entering the fight. On my first attempt I tried getting the tentacles first, but it wasn't enough.

I restarted, decided to go all out and managed to finish it with a couple dead characters, still enough for the mastery.

In retrospect, I should have used all my fire magic in the previous battles because I still had 2 Firagas and 2 or 3 Firas left, but I didn't cast them on the last stage.

Kaiterra

Banned

I use Aerith as a backup nuker with Dia and it's pretty great. That and Cura are easy enough to hone that she rarely runs out of casts. Cura heals 75-80% per cast for my level 50 frontliners and Dia either does respectable damage or, in the case of enemies weak to Holy, awesome damage.

That sounds like it'll be a great setup with the White Mage Record Materia

fester

Banned
Apologies if I missed this earlier in the thread, but I've noticed the confirmation windows (Begin Battle, for example), has gotten much, much smaller on Android. Is this intentional? A bug?

http://i.imgur.com/uEtz8CKl.jpg

Thanks for the info, currently I have Aerith with Cura and Boost though I guess I could throw dia on her (haven't made yet). I don't have any materials to upgrade my staffs yet so I'll have to wait for dailies

Roto13

You're one crazy SOB for doing V first.

Well, it's not like my team is getting any stronger. They're all level 50. They're not going to be any easier if I do the easy ones first.

Thanks for the info, currently I have Aerith with Cura and Boost though I guess I could throw dia on her (haven't made yet). I don't have any materials to upgrade my staffs yet so I'll have to wait for dailies

Dia isn't that powerful, but it is a nice way to spend an ability slot if you're not going to need to heal much or use support magic.

elty

I use Gordon or red mage as my healer in the hard daily and normal dungeon. I think Gordon would be ok if you have some + MAG sword like the ehancer

Do people do the heroic exp dungeon or just the hard one? I am rolling a bunch of lv20s (Gordon, Snow, WoL, Rinoa and Luneth) in the hard daily.

Road

Are you talking about the new ones (Snow, Luneth, Gordon, Warrior of Light)?

Snow is a bulkier Josef (with way more HP and Defense), but he lacks Josef's weapon choices, being restricted to Daggers and Fists. However, if you have a good weapon to equip him with, he seems to be a very solid fighter, with a Soul Break enhancing his survivability. His Attack caps at 104 at level 50, whereas Josef caps at 114. Overall, I think Snow is better than Josef, unless you don't have a good weapon for him.

Gordon is... lackluster. While he can equip Swords, Spears and Bows, his Attack is bad (75, which is below every front line fighter, barring the Core classes). His Magic stat isn't that bad (102)... except that he is unable to equip Rods, only Staves. Finally, he has access to rank 3 Black and White Magic, and rank 5 Support.
Frankly, he is pathetic. He could make a decent back row fighter equiped with a Bow, but Wakka can do the same, only better. I would not bother with him, he is outclassed by everyone.

Warrior of Light and Luneth are both front-line fighters, with very solid stats and identical equipment choices (both can use Daggers, Swords, Hammers and Axes, which is very nice). WoL is bulkier, while Luneth has a slightly better Attack stat (98 vs 105). Regarding their ability choices and Soul Break:
  • Both have Rank 5 combat.
  • Both have Celerity, although Luneth's rank is 3 whereas WoL is 2.
  • WoL has rank 5 Knight, whereas Luneth has Rank 3 Support.
  • WoL's Soul Break increases all of his stats, whereas Luneth's increases only his Attack. Need more information regarding their respective duration.
Frankly, it is difficult to say which one is better. WoL seems to be a better option, but Luneth has access to rank 3 Support abilities, something which can be very useful. Both are good, and one can easily replace Kain in one's team.

Nice analysis. Their soul breaks works as follows:

Gordon and Warrior of Light (same thing): +30% atk/matk/def/mdef for 25s
Luneth: +35% atk for 25s
Snow: Protect and Regen

And I'll just add Luneth and Gordon have useful Record Materia II: auto-haste and auto-protect, respectively. Snow and Warrior of Light, not so much.

You can check them here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W-yywu0EDPsz_J1VQKoTxqsR4TT_Dq0D17jG9WvzKBM/edit#gid=0

By the way, another basic interface feature this game needs: A list of all dungeons and their completion status.

Trying to decide if I want to use a mythril or some gems to restore my party to finish the exp heroic daily with mastery. I've mastered the first two levels with massive amounts of save scumming and having the whole party level after the first battle.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, it's not like my team is getting any stronger. They're all level 50. They're not going to be any easier if I do the easy ones first.

Managed to hone quite a few things just from orb drops going through the others. Not the least significant of which was Intimidate.

elty

Trying to decide if I want to use a mythril or some gems to restore my party to finish the exp heroic daily with mastery. I've mastered the first two levels with massive amounts of save scumming and having the whole party level after the first battle.

Doesn't make sense for daily I think.

Apologies if I missed this earlier in the thread, but I've noticed the confirmation windows (Begin Battle, for example), has gotten much, much smaller on Android. Is this intentional? A bug?

Not intentional. It's a bug related to a recent update to Android System WebView. If you search it in the Play store and hit uninstall it will uninstall the updates to it and fix the issue in FFRK. I disabled automatic updates on WebView so that I wouldn't have to keep going back and uninstalling it.

Falk

that puzzling face
All new classics and elites cleared, now for the 9th elite FF8 dungeon...

Same. Wanted to take a screenshot of the Mastery screen but I was out of wifi range and the game threw a system error dialogue box and kicked me back out to the world select. :(

I totally forgot to throw Wakka's soul break at Ifrit (water vulnerability condition) and lost 3 stars and panicked, so bad internet making the game blanch and not seeing how well I did for the 2nd boss was pretty tense.

Here was the team that carried through the elites. (Yeh, no mages, retaliate meta 2stronk)

Also Cloud and Sephiroth sporting 5* weapons but 1*++ armor lolololol #teamghetto

Who else can use book beside Tyro?

Aren't books a special weapon like Red XIII's combs?

SunGod

Here was the team that carried through the elites. (Yeh, no mages, retaliate meta 2stronk)

Also Cloud and Sephiroth sporting 5* weapons but 1*++ armor lolololol #teamghetto

Yep that's pretty much how I got through them haha.

I just managed to master FF8 elite dungeon #9 too :) I'll probably skip out on #10, I want to save 50 mythril for one last shot at Sentinel Grimoire.

Pea6fzCl.png

As I uploaded that image I just realised there was no reason to have Josef in the team for the whole thing, I should be using characters who can equip double cut and have high def... I should have been using Kain!

Falk

that puzzling face
THIS POST SPOILS UPCOMING EVENTS. GO AWAY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED

Started looking ahead. This schedule is my own prediction, and most likely going to be wrong since DeNA has shuffled events around more than once now. While my medium-term plan is flexible, this is what it looks like if there's no/minimal changes, so I'm directing my farming efforts towards them till proven otherwise.

(Note: My personal opinion is there may be a chance that they're skipping Lenna event completely, in which case Vanille would be in 21st instead of 27th. Hypothesis being skipping events of characters that aren't popular in the US to hasten the release schedule for eventual parity, then just giving Lenna away for free. This would SUCK for us, since Lenna event is a guaranteed bunch of 4* orbs to grab for whatever abilities you need down the line)

--------------------------------
t1432170000z0.png

Lenna Event - Collection Event (like Aerith)
Assuming Lenna is next, it can go either of two ways:
- Numbers are adjusted so rewards are easier to get. There's two precedents for this - Aerith event was similarly adjusted, bringing the number of runs to get each reward down to a fraction of what it was on JP. Additionally, considering this event is out of order, the stam/reward ratio as it was on JP is now a little lacking compared to other things in the game in this point, e.g. easy orbs from new dungeon clears and Heroic dailies. If adjusted rewards is the case you'll want to farm the shit out of 4* orbs via Dr.Mog turn-in, as you can see now how much stuff like Quake and Bladeblitz have made things easier.
- Numbers are not adjusted. Event becomes more lackluster, and it might be best practice to grab the no-brainer rewards then go back to farming Elite painting bosses for 4* orbs.

In either case, that's a freebie week of farming whatever to bulk up, either from Elite bosses or from Dr.Mog (rofl why). I am going to assume they're taking the easy way out and not retroactively adding a Heroic-level difficulty to this, as it was originally before the 3rd Dungeon Update/Rinoa event/Record Synergy in Japan, so it's going to be very easy to clear. Probably it'll be worth dragging the new guys (especially Snow) through it to get them some levels.

On hardest difficulty a run is 51 stam, so with 100 stam (or close to) it'll be a relaxing period of just opening the app once every 5 hours to farm.

t1432688400z0.png

Vanille Event - Survival Event (like Celes)
Vanille event gets interesting again since it's survival, and Heroic mode has chance to drop 4* orbs off each boss rather than just at the end. Its looking like we want to farm the shit out of Thunder ability orbs in preparation. New abilities should also have hit by then.

A Heroic run is 96 stam, so it'll be nice to have to only come back every 5 hours to the game.

Vanille banner also means XIII loot finally gets added to the game. Two 5* (Vanille's weapon and a bangle) and a bunch of XIII 4*s. Might wanna save Mythril for this one if you're good on VIII loot, since XIII synergy loot will definitely have legs, as opposed to more V or VI loot. (The only other RS we don't have anything from yet is IX)

t1433206800z0.png

Locke Event - Dungeon Clear (like Cecil/Rinoa/etc)
Locke cavorting around FF6's world, retreading a lot of the same stuff from the FFVI paintings.

The way this is set up is very similar to Rinoa's event, except 15 stages instead of 10. Elite final boss has 180k HP, is susceptible to Poison, and has an asshole requirement on Elite.

Cheese tactic involves at least 4 shots of Reflect.

(Personal hypothesis: I think they may bring back the banner for FF6 gear here again to entice people to gacha since the event gets really ridiculous towards the end)

t1433725200z0.png

New Dungeons
Focusing on XIII, introducing IX and XII (finally lol), and some continuation of III, VII and VIII. XIII has the hardest elites, hence why I was saying try to save pulls for Vanille event.

I believe this is also when Record Materia get introduced.

Prototype

Is there a FAQ on backing up saves anywhere? I see stuff for data transfer, but I'd like to make sure no data is backed up, just in case. Really don't want to lose my progress if any thing were to happen.

Wazzy

Banned
If they skip Lenna I'm thinking they'll do the order you posted but Squall right after Locke.

They might even bring Squall earlier because he's quite popular plus VI already has two character events. Don't mind either way because Locke is great.

thedan001

Is there a FAQ on backing up saves anywhere? I see stuff for data transfer, but I'd like to make sure no data is backed up, just in case. Really don't want to lose my progress if any thing were to happen.

I'm paranoid about my data too. I lost over a year's worth of work on SE's guardian cross so lesson learned there.

I data transfer my save on my iPhone to my iPad mini, so both devices play the same account with linked save. IDK how to back up with 1 device without requesting data upload daily after it expires each day. This is iOS of course.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was away for about 10 days and my playtime was limited for a week or two before that. I have Rinoa.

Do y'all think I'm better off trying to clear as much of the Elite Rinoa event as possible, or moving on to the recently released main content? I'm resigned to the fact that I won't have enough stamina to do everything, so I was figuring I'd skip most of the Elite Rinoa stuff and get back to the main content grind.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just managed to master FF8 elite dungeon #9 too :) I'll probably skip out on #10, I want to save 50 mythril for one last shot at Sentinel Grimoire.

Yea, same here. Unless I somehow RNG a blitz sword between now and Wednesday, I'm not gonna test out my Mythril refresh theory.

I couldn't even 10/12 star the Iguions on Ch9, and that's pretty much a requirement (9/9, 10/12, 12/15, 12/15 for 43/51 total)

I might be crazy enough to try the VIT0 strat in a few days though. That'd still definitely require me to get a second Quake to blow up the Iguions with 2 casters.

I'm thinking:
- Rinoa (Quake/Bio)
- Terra w/ Gaia Vest (Quake/Blizzaga)
- Sephiroth (Retaliate/Bladeblitz)
- Wakka (Boost/Mental Breakdown)
- Aerith (Curaga/Dia)

1) Trash: Boost/Retaliate on Sephiroth, bladeblitz your way to victory, other members attack Sephiroth
2) Trash/Iguion: (Wipe, use Mythril to refresh) Mental Breakdown + Quake out the ass should make short work of them
3) Seifer: (Wipe, use Mythril to refresh) VIT0, which should mean ~25k damage a turn for 4 turns. (Rinoa/Terra 9999, Dia SHOULD hit for 4 digits if Aerith doesn't have to heal that turn, Sephiroth/Wakka 5k)
4) Edea: (Wipe, use Mythril to refresh) Ditto.

Trash and Iguion both should actually be maxed stars this way, giving a nice buffer for the next two. You can lose 8 stars total and Mastery this. I THINK this should be doable with 3 Mythril since you're blowing everything on each stage rather than rationing out.

edit: Derp, I'd need to slot in Slow for Seifer's stars. Probably replace Blizzaga.

edit2: LOL I didn't even factor in the need to have Shell for VIT0. Not sure what else I could sacrifice - everything else basically is a requirement one way or another. Sephiroth absolutely needs Bladeblitz and Retaliate both for trash so I can't stick Bio on him. BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.

edit3: Yeah, without a 5* Blitz Sword (Cloud subs in for Sephiroth) or spending like 5 Mythril per stage to buff up, this isn't happening.

Prototype

I'm paranoid about my data too. I lost over a year's worth of work on SE's guardian cross so lesson learned there.

I data transfer my save on my iPhone to my iPad mini, so both devices play the same account with linked save. IDK how to back up with 1 device without requesting data upload daily after it expires each day. This is iOS of course.
Ya I got a few errors loading a battle this morning, and while it resolved itself after restarting the app, it made me worry about potentially losing all my work in the game so far, been playing since it came out.

Falk

that puzzling face
I was away for about 10 days and my playtime was limited for a week or two before that. I have Rinoa.

Do y'all think I'm better off trying to clear as much of the Elite Rinoa event as possible, or moving on to the recently released main content? I'm resigned to the fact that I won't have enough stamina to do everything, so I was figuring I'd skip most of the Elite Rinoa stuff and get back to the main content grind.

I think you should go as far as you can in Elite Rinoa. The difficulty increases gradually (so you know when you should quit) and it's Mythril and Summon Orbs. Bail and switch to the paintings when it starts getting too hard.

fester

Banned
Not intentional. It's a bug related to a recent update to Android System WebView. If you search it in the Play store and hit uninstall it will uninstall the updates to it and fix the issue in FFRK. I disabled automatic updates on WebView so that I wouldn't have to keep going back and uninstalling it.

Thanks, that did the trick.

Curious (worried) about this, too. The wording inside the app is a little confusing. If I do the first part of the transfer (transmit my data) but do not have a second device, is that info essentially "backed up" in the cloud for the time being? I seem to recall a similar mechanic with Terra Battle, but don't want to make any assumptions and screw something up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom