• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarekx

Well, the game was nice to me since i had to restart and gave me Rinoa's Rising Sun on my free pull. I'm sure it'll be a while before I can recruit her again but I guess Wakka can use it for a while.

All but the main dude in Headhunter Scuffle++ are vulnerable to sleep, so I've brought Sheepskin Coat back out if you want to work that into your strategy. Friend code is GDeN

Road

A tale of two parties:

ysb98.png
04zxk.png

Meh at this fight "forcing" you to go Retaliate. I have nothing against the strat, enjoy using it, but not being cornered into it. I think it's pretty much impossible to mage meta here unless you're well served of FFX 5* synergy. At least I got GSO both times.

Well, now, to sell those 20 giant scarletite so I can get more 20 from the FFXII event (and sell them too...).

Vorpal

I've definitely slowed down a lot. Still holding onto 100+ mythril for Orbfest but I could see myself putting down the game after that. I think I've hit my limit with the UI clunkiness (even though it's a lot better than when it launched). Any time I have to switch around abilities for medal requirements, there's like a 50% chance that I just close the app and do something else.

It's been fun!
I'll probably be back for FFV/Gilgamesh.

Balphon

A tale of two parties:

Meh at this fight "forcing" you to go Retaliate. I have nothing against the strat, enjoy using it, but not being cornered into it. I think it's pretty much impossible to mage meta here unless you're well served of FFX 5* synergy. At least I got GSO both times.

Well, now, to sell those 20 giant scarletite so I can get more 20 from the FFXII event (and sell them too...).

I still haven't used retaliate for anything and didn't find sanctuary keeper particularly difficult compared to other EX++ fights. There really are other ways to beat the content; it's not mandatory.

I still have my party saved, so here it is:

Rahvar

I've recently started playing again after being semi-inactive due to hitting a wall, as in I can't beat the higher level parts of events.

My current characters, weapons and abilities:

Characters:
(Only listing level 50+ ones, first 5 are my current party)
Tidus 65
Rhinoa 64
Sephiroth 65
Cloud 65
Y'shtola 59
Squall 62
Vivi 55
Garnet 53
Black mage 50
Warrior of Light 50
Josef 50
Kain 50
Rydia 50
Lenna 50
Balthier 50
Vanille 50

Weapons:
(Listing 5* and above, including ones that have been raised from lower star rankings)
Dancing Dagger 6*
Mesmerize Blade 6*
Zantetsuken 6*
Blitz Sword 6*
Kaiser Knuckles 6*
Gravity Rod 6*
Paramina Crossbow 6*
Fencing Sabre 5*
Mythril Sabre 5*
Sledgehammer 5*
Golden Spear 5*
Flail 5*
Moonring Blade 5*
Healing Grimoire 5*

Abilities:
(High level abilities and the rank 2 and 3 ones I use)
Thundaja Rank 1
Waterja Rank 1
Quake Rank 2
Curaja Rank 1
Protectga Rank 1
Shellga Rank 1
Mahudin Rank 1
Bladeblitz Rank 2
Pound Rank 1
Magic Breakdown Rank 1
Power Breakdown Rank 1
Armor Breakdown Rank 1
Firaga Rank 4
Blizzaga Rank 2
Thundaga Rank 3
Waterga Rank 3
Biora Rank 1
Curaga Rank 3
Esuna Rank 2
Diara Rank 3
Fira Strike Rank 3
Blizzara Strike Rank 4
Thundara Strike Rank 4
Tempo Flurry Rank 3
Double Cut Rank 3 x3

I know one of my problems is lack of weapons with SB, but what should I focus on and which party? Not counting when synergy beats average power?

Azusa

Abilities:
Thundaja Rank 1
Waterja Rank 1

Quake Rank 2
Curaja Rank 1

Magic Breakdown Rank 1
Power Breakdown Rank 1
Armor Breakdown Rank 1

Firaga Rank 4
Blizzaga Rank 2
Thundaga Rank 3
Waterga Rank 3
Biora Rank 1
Curaga Rank 3

Diara Rank 3

Tempo Flurry Rank 3
Double Cut Rank 3 x3

Your main problem is lack of well honed abilities. You need to have all -ga spells at rank 4. Also craft at least one comet. If you want to use retaliate more effectively you need rank 4 double cut (at least 2). Of course you need maxed retaliate. Max your Curaga and forget about Curaja its not effective and waste of orbs. Do you have Breaks? You need rank 4 Power Break and also Magic or you can use rank 2 Magic Breakdown instead if you can hone it once more. Also Mental break is nice to have too, but its better to craft Mental Breakdown later. Diara is good ability but if you can craft Diaga and hone it a bit (6 uses is usually enough).

Nohar

Curaja is not bad per see. He doesn't have a good staff, so his Curaga may be lacking in healing power. That being said, Curaga is far easier to hone to R5, his Curaja is R1 only (you absolutly can't survive any challenging fight with just that, unless you have crazy mitigation and a special strategy in mind tailored for the fight, such as Carbuncle + Kirin), and it requires orbs which are used by other abilities, so I would advise you to make Curaga R5 too. You may have Healing Grimoire, but that thing requires 2 SB bars to use, and you won't always have the luxury to fill that when you really need it.

Indeed, your main problem is that your abilities aren't honed at all. No wonder you are having trouble beating some challenges. Follow Azusa's advices. You may need to spend your time in daily dungeons to farm orbs. Thanksfully, you are in luck: we are getting the Orb Festival very soon. It will be the perfect occasion for you to get a lot of orbs (burn your Mythril for stamina refreshes during the event ~ try to unlock all the stamina shards you can before the event is up) and level up your characters (the Orb Festival dungeons are quite generous in EXP).

While you're at it, level up White Mage to level 50 and unlock her RM2. You will need it for Elite paintings and boss rushes.

Rahvar

Your main problem is lack of well honed abilities. You need to have all -ga spells at rank 4. Also craft at least one comet. If you want to use retaliate more effectively you need rank 4 double cut (at least 2). Of course you need maxed retaliate. Max your Curaga and forget about Curaja its not effective and waste of orbs. Do you have Breaks? You need rank 4 Power Break and also Magic or you can use rank 2 Magic Breakdown instead if you can hone it once more. Also Mental break is nice to have too, but its better to craft Mental Breakdown later. Diara is good ability but if you can craft Diaga and hone it a bit (6 uses is usually enough).

Thank you for the advice! What should I do about characters? One BM,one healer and 3 melee?

Azusa

Thank you for the advice! What should I do about characters? One BM,one healer and 3 melee?

It depends on dungeon and what kind of abilities you want to use. But I usually do elites with healer + melee character + support char (breakdowns) + 2 BMs. For retaliate teams you will usually want Cloud + 3 character that can equip double cut or tempo flurry + healer.

Tomb Depths+++ was easier than Sanctuary Keeper battle. (thx weakness to water)
My team:

Falk

that puzzling face
Well... that was a rather mild boss rush.

Didn't bring ANY mitigation except Boon. - no power/magic breakdown, no SG, no Protectga. Also I used Boon on the two Demon Walls, e.g. Shellga is useless.

Still lost zero medals across the entire boss rush. Heh.

Kinda regret 1) bringing Vaan over Balthier because Vaan 2) crafting Shadowbind, want my NE 4*s back

Rahvar

It depends on dungeon and what kind of abilities you want to use. But I usually do elites with healer + melee character + support char (breakdowns) + 2 BMs. For retaliate teams you will usually want Cloud + 3 character that can equip double cut or tempo flurry + healer.

Tomb Depths+++ was easier than Sanctuary Keeper battle. (thx weakness to water)
My team:

I've seen it mentioned a lot but how do you use retalitate? From what I can remember you attack your own character somehow?

Falk

that puzzling face
HOLY SHIT THESE NEW SONG AND DANCE ABILITIES LOL

edit: Why is Blinded By Light playing in this first FFV painting?!

Don't forget people with the dungeon update the daily pull reset (I believe it also added items up to the Auron banner too slightly boosting the chances of non 1*).

Razmos

Attempting the head hunter fight:
Straight away I get Vaan to use my Sentinel Grimoire RW.
In the time it takes for him to activate it:
Rydia gets attacked
Rydia gets attacked again
Water Spout
Rydia is dead

fun!

Next attempt:
Use Sentinel Grimoire on the first turn.
Thunderstorm
Blizzaga
Y'shtola is dead
Kick
Rinoa is dead

all before I got off a single action

this continues for the next 5 attempts.
The amount of damage they do is ridiculous, even with sentinel's grimoire up and it's all a combination of physical attacks and magic which complicates matters.

EDIT: Lmao
- Start Battle
- Uses Blizzaga on Rydia
- Rydia dies

and then the next attempt:
- Water Spout
- Thunderstorm
- Rydia, Rinoa and Y'shtola all die at once.

Seriously fuck this.

MicH

I'm not sure what banner to pull on in the upcoming events.

Cloud's banner #1 has Organyx and Keepsake Ribbon which I want
Hope's banner #1 has Sky Cutter and Wyrmfang both which are excellent
Hope's banner #2 has Vega 42s which I realllyyyy want (+ Paladin isn't totally bad)

Might just do one 11-pull on each banner

Nohar

May I ask what are their levels and equipment (good synergy armor can definitly make a difference)? Rydia is a very squishy character, even at level 65. Though, as usual, it is one of these fights where if you can't put up mitigation before the enemy can act you are forced to S/L. And, yeah, there is nothing fun about that.

@MicH: Cloud's banner is pretty lackluster. Frankly, if you want Organix, I would wait for the Super Soul Break celebration, unless you are in dire need of FFVII synergy.

... And gosh, Shields are just terrible. This is beyond ridiculous.

FFXII boss rush completed. It was very easy indeed. Now on to a much more difficult fight.

Red Mage

What's your equipment looking like? It's actually a pretty balanced fight (had to s/l once). On the other hand, I've given up on the EX+++ fight for now. Belias/Belial is brutal.

Oh, for people playing the JP version... when I was trying it out, I noticed that one of the prizes from the AC Event was an empty Memory Crystal. What do those do?

Razmos

What's your equipment looking like? It's actually a pretty balanced fight (had to s/l once). On the other hand, I've given up on the EX+++ fight for now. Belias/Belial is brutal.

Oh, for people playing the JP version... when I was trying it out, I noticed that one of the prizes from the AC Event was an empty Memory Crystal. What do those do?
My equipment was good. Danjuro, Viking Coats and a Kaiser Shield. And no it is not a balanced fight lol, you got lucky.

It's not balanced if they can kill 3 members of your party before you get a single action off, It took me about 20 attempts before I finally got lucky enough.
Thankfully I managed to master it as well.

The blank memory crystal allows you to use it for any character (who have a MC available) it's basically to allow you to get ones you missed from events ect.

Road

Yep, Bagaman is easy as long as RNG is on your side.

The italicized part is not something exclusive to this fight. At this point, you either have learned to live with that RNG bullshit or you quit the game.
Or spend enough money to always have 5* defensive synergy from all realms...

First try, Aeris got Firaga to the floor before I could do anything. Second try, I'm allowed to put SG up and it's a breeze. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx4o-ok58jQ. Setup: http://abload.de/img/ans0b.png

Red Mage

My equipment was good. Danjuro, Viking Coats and a Kaiser Shield. And no it is not a balanced fight lol, you got lucky.

It's not balanced if they can kill 3 members of your party before you get a single action off, It took me about 20 attempts before I finally got lucky enough.
Thankfully I managed to master it as well.

The blank memory crystal allows you to use it for any character (who have a MC available) it's basically to allow you to get ones you missed from events ect.

But they didn't one shot my mages, even hitting them before I got Shell or SS up. o_O;

It's been scientifically proved that complaining on GAF makes the RNG behave :)

I just got to the demon wall in the boss rush and noticed something missing. I forgot to bring any Holy abilities (or light's wrath). Well, I can more than afford to lose three medals. Then it is the fun of the bonus battles especially as my pool of water abilities is very shallow (R1 Leviathan, R3 Waterga and R1 Water strike).

That reminds in about 2 months time global should get their first event with these. I have a feeling that will be the only (or at least earliest) way to get Edward and Firion their MC (Mog's MC was re-released in the Shadow event).

Razmos

Belias REALLY made me notice how behind I am on honing abilities. He's one of those fights that just drags on forever, especially when he casts Mighty Guard and then starts using Firaja all the time, yikes.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to beat it fairly before I even tried because I watched a video of someone fighting it and could tell I didn't have my abilities honed enough (I have Waterja R3 but that's it as far as water spells go)

So I cheated and used 2 Mythril (got Defense+10% and Offense+10%) which in my view is a pretty good trade off for getting 3 Major Non-Elemental Orbs. I was going to be farming for those anyway during the Orb Fest so 2 mythril for a guaranteed 3 orbs is pretty nifty. Now I've pretty much got Meteor crafted since we get 1 of every major orb guaranteed during the Orb Fest anyway.

That means I can focus on catching up on 4* orbs and crafting Odin.

Also has the the wording for elemental bonuses changed?
before it used to say "adds minor ice damage" now it says "gives a small boost to ice damage"

Was able to beat the Ba'gamman fight twice. Second time around was with this:

Vaan: Lv. 52, Gladius (XII), Shell Shield++ (XII), General's Belt (XIII), R3 Magic Breakdown, R2 Armor Breakdown, RM: Sky Pirate's Pride
Ashe: Lv. 52, Gaia Rod++ (XII), Heavy Coat+ (XII), Magic Armlet (IX), R2 Stop, R4 Waterga, RM: Attunement II
Garnet: Lv. 57, Wizard's Staff++ (XII), Mystery Veil (VI), Sash (XII), R4 Curaga, R2 Protectga, RM: Double Hit
Rydia: Lv. 60, Empyrean Rod+ (XII), Shepherd's Bolero++ (XII), Magick Gloves (XII), R2 Quake, R1 Valefor, RM: Rod Master
Tyro: Lv.50, Sledgehammer++ (XII), Hypnocrown (IX), Hyper Wrist (VIII), R5 Retaliate, R4 Draw Fire, RM: Self-Sacrifice

RW: Boon

Both times I was able to get mitigation up before they started spamming AoEs. Also have some luck with FFXII relics

I lost 1 medal to actions, 2 medals to Damage taken

This dungeon update heralds major orbs as boss drops in elites and greater for classic:
Power - Underground Waterway (V)
Wind - Castle of Bal
White - Lunar Subterrane Part 1
Holy - Cultists' Tower Part 1
Dark - Lunar Subterrane, Part 2
I doubt they are that practical to farm from a stamina cost basis (bonus battles in events will be better if drop rates are the same) but it is showing us times are moving on.

Nohar

All FFXII fights completed. Boss rush was easy, I beat the ++ fight without any real problems, and had to S/L Belias two times (first time because he said "Screw you" and casted Firaja after Firaja on my party, and second time because I kept making wrong decisions). I probably should have took Magic Breakdown on top of Shellga for Belias, it would have spared me the S/L.

Some fights will become easier for me once we get Cloud and Tyro's RM3. Being able to use SG right off the bat will definitly allow me to breath a little during some of these hard fights. Full Break will also come in handy.

Anyhow, just a few days before Terra's event. It will either be the announcement of a golden age, or the beginning of the Armageddon.

All FFXII fights completed. Boss rush was easy, I beat the ++ fight without any real problems, and had to S/L Belias two times (first time because he said "Screw you" and casted Firaja after Firaja on my party, and second time because I kept making wrong decisions). I probably should have took Magic Breakdown on top of Shellga for Belias, it would have spared me the S/L.

Some fights will become easier for me once we get Cloud and Tyro's RM3. Being able to use SG right off the bat will definitly allow me to breath a little during some of these hard fights. Full Break will also come in handy.

Anyhow, just a few days before Terra's event. It will either be the announcement of a golden age, or the beginning of the Armageddon.

Yeah, I'm salivating over Cloud & Tyro's RM3. Game loves to give me support SBs, so with both of them I can drop Sentinel Guard and Boon round 1 of the boss fights and just bring pure damage for RW. Stoneskin + Shell + Haste, mmmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom