• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

Been wanting to level Rydia for awhile since Vivi is geting close to 65, couldn't have come at a better time.

I thought P Cecil was pretty good already but I won't complain lol. They've never nerfed characters directly have they? Maybe preparing for his SSB later or something.

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh man, Rydia went from 2nd tier to almost literally Vivi tier.

No more sticking Comet in the second slot to pad out sustained DPS.

ccbfan

Whats generally a good layout for a party.

I've finally hit the 5 physical auto battle and use helpers on bosses wall. (Seed Field exam(8) and Vile Peaks(13))

Is the game balances between both physical and magic?
Do you need a healer?
Can you just mindlessly AOE attack magic through everything?
What's better to invest Black Magic or Summons.
Is there a place where I can get damage multipliers for skills?

Falk

that puzzling face
Whats generally a good layout for a party.

I've finally hit the 5 physical auto battle and use helpers on bosses wall. (Seed Field exam(8) and Vile Peaks(13))

Is the game balances between both physical and magic?

I think that despite all the griping (me included), there's been quite a good balance between magic and physical. The one thing you should note, though, is that physical starts out stronger, and is currently overtaken by magic at high level play, except for a pocket strat that involves retaliate and a particular Friend Summon (Advance). The good thing about that Advance strategy is you only need one good melee weapon that a character with Samurai ability can use, and everyone funnels their damage through him, so it's a little less gear-dependent.

At high level play, some loadouts tend to be all magic (mage meta) or all physical, just to capitalize on the fact that reducing boss' DEF or RES are separate abilities and the metagame does suffer from needing to choose which abilities to put into a too-finite number of slots.

Do you need a healer?
In most cases, yes. Again at high level play, depending on the boss, sometimes healer is foregone for more alpha strike potential, but even then, the stat that healers use (MND) also works for Holy damage, and many healers double as summoners, so yes, you want a few high level MND characters.

Can you just mindlessly AOE attack magic through everything?
After mid-game, yes. For this purpose, you want the Record Materias of Black Mage, White Mage and Summoner core characters, which will let you recharge 1 use of their respective schools per stage.

What's better to invest Black Magic or Summons.
They're both equally important in mage meta, but summons are pretty much limited by Summon Orbs, which you generally don't get outside of events. Summons are, of course, much more limited by ability use counts. Medium term, get good hones on the -aga spells and you should be good to capitalize on vulnerabilities. DON'T craft or hone summons till you need them, since the summon orbs are more finite.

Is there a place where I can get damage multipliers for skills?
http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/ability-multiplier/

In most cases, yes. Again at high level play, depending on the boss, sometimes healer is foregone for more alpha strike potential, but even then, the stat that healers use (MND) also works for Holy damage, and many healers double as summoners, so yes, you want a few high level MND characters.

Not to mention you get two more casts out of white magic than black, so Dia abilities are pretty cost-effective hones.

Is it supposed to be a gameplay mechanic that the enemies are aware of your stats? Because they always seem to zero in on whoever my lowest level party member is and pound that person. It's annoying as hell.

Road

Been waiting for this Rydia super buff ever since I got a 5* whip. She'll now fight for a spot in my party against Quistis, who still has her uses due to her breakdown capability. But when Terra gets her MC, Quistis might go to the fridge and stay there forever (except for FFVIII synergy) unless I get her newly released SSB in Japan
, which gives Shell+Haste+Regen

Changing subjects, 40 Giant Scarletite + 20 Giant Adamantite + 10 Large Adamantite that I'll have to sell because there's no space in my inventory. My most wanted thing of the new UI Japan has is the separate inventory space for upgrade material.

Is it supposed to be a gameplay mechanic that the enemies are aware of your stats? Because they always seem to zero in on whoever my lowest level party member is and pound that person. It's annoying as hell.

It happens to all of us. It's just that we don't pay attention all the time they're not target our weakest hero. With very few exceptions, enemy targeting is random. It is annoying anyway.

Balphon

Some abilities will selectively target the character with the highest or lowest HP, but generally they are targeted at random.

Azusa

I see I need to craft and hone Stop. It seems my next 2 days will be dark and non-elem orbs farming. It is a little strange but I have more than 300 of all other orbs types but these two.

I love FF II also, used Firion a lot already and definitely plan to level Ricard and a couple others. Minwu and maybe even the Emperor would be nice characters to get one day too!
I got a response basically saying "keep playing, we'll pass along your concerns, etc".

I suggested they use their social media sites to be more upfront about changes between the two versions, because as it is now, it's just a guessing game of what content we'll receive, and whether or not they have any plans to offer alternate methods to obtain relics, experience certain events, and so on.

Falk

that puzzling face
Except that Judge Ghis is immune to Silence. If a boss is immune to at least one of the effects inflicted by Aerith's SB, then her SB will be nullified ("No Effect").

Huh what, I thought they were separately applied. We tested this way back with Rufus.

I remember it got confusing since "NO EFFECT" sometimes showed up, and sometimes the other debuff applied.

Now I'm tempted to burn stam just to reconfirm this. (Screw farming orbs at this point :V)

Razmos

Speaking of version differences, I very much doubt we will get the relic rate increase with the Terra banner. I'm expecting a lot of meltdowns when it comes around.
latest

Nohar

Let's not open that can of worms yet.

But yeah, needless to say, if that happens, ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

angry-mob-o.gif

LucaMac

That Lightning update. 4 Celerity and more weapons and armour to use. Great.

I still using her almost every time and will continue <3

I have a 5+ blazefire sabre and I don't really use her at all. Mage meta is just too useful. She's not at 65 so I may bring her back in to the fray at some point. Even more doubtful in a way though, as my only other character relic is Rydias Ice Whip. Absolutes beast mode now.

I think I'm gonna have to burn a mythril the Boss Rush, b/c with my current characters (for a FFXII party) I had to blow most of my abilities to take down one Demon Wall

Road

Except that Judge Ghis is immune to Silence. If a boss is immune to at least one of the effects inflicted by Aerith's SB, then her SB will be nullified ("No Effect").

Nope. I used Seal Evil for that fight just fine.

I think I'm gonna have to burn a mythril the Boss Rush, b/c with my current characters (for a FFXII party) I had to blow most of my abilities to take down one Demon Wall

I actually like the Demon Wall fight. I get to go full mage for it, thanks to the obsession the games has with giving us FFXII equipment (this is from the last dungeon update, not the event): https://goo.gl/photos/heXREuEX4j174y5h9

Razmos

The Seymour boss rush is fucking ridiculous. You need far too many abilities.

You have to have:
death/pressure point/lai strike
all of the breakdowns, including power for the final boss despite the first 2 bosses using only magic
healing
diaga
Carbuncle
venom buster
silence buster
That takes up 10 of your 10 available abilities, and then you still need enough DPS to whittle them down.

I reached the final form but I have no abilities left, Carbuncle is completely useless, as is Death. the boss delivers 3 hits of around 1000 damage to random party members and I simply can't heal everyone fast enough, nor do I have the mitigation to lower the damage due to needing the slots for other abilities.

I got him down to half his health before he killed Tidus, Rinoa and Auron with a cross cleave followed by 3 physical attacks (one of which was a critical)
They aren't even hard bosses but you are pretty much forced into using the listed abilities. I'm not even sure if I can be bothered trying again, it's a fucking stupid design. Especially when it goes from 2 magic focused bosses to a dangerous physical based one. eurgh.

You have to have:
all of the breakdowns, including power for the final boss despite the first 2 bosses using only magic
healing
diaga
Carbuncle
venom buster
silence buster
That takes up 10 of your 10 available abilities, and then you still need enough DPS to whittle them down.

I reached the final form but I have no abilities left, Carbuncle is completely useless, as is Death. the boss delivers 3 hits of around 1000 damage to random party members and I simply can't heal everyone fast enough, nor do I have the mitigation to lower the damage due to needing the slots for other abilities.

I got him down to half his health before he killed Tidus, Rinoa and Auron with a cross cleave followed by 3 physical attacks (one of which was a critical)
They aren't even hard bosses but you are pretty much forced into using the listed abilities. I'm not even sure if I can be bothered trying again, it's a fucking stupid design. Especially when it goes from 2 magic focused bosses to a dangerous physical based one. eurgh.

I did it by using Retaliate and a R2 Carbuncle. Ended up just whittling down the Guardians instead of trying to one shot them.

Nohar

You don't need Instant Death abilities Razmos. The guards have low HP in this boss rush, you can just kill them with a few uses of Quake and other abilities.
Also, I didn't bring Carbuncle at all: just Magic Breakdown (R3). It was far enough to deal with the first two forms of Seymour.

And, as usual, Retaliate (with Advance, or just Armor Break and Boost) can help you a lot.

Shouta

So new event for the JP version went up last night. Laguna finally is in and I got his 5 star weapon. Yeaaaah. 6 Hit attack that hits all enemies and causes Slow, I think.

When I did the Seymour boss rush I had someone with the light's wrath RM so I could still get the holy weakness medals without needing to bring a spell. Can't remember much else, I might have even gone naked bar Kirin for healing and bought shelga and protectga. I remember that for Seymour Flux the Mortiorchis did charge total annihilation (where it and Seymour will do nothing for a few turns) and I managed to win before it went off. I lost hardly any medals overall during the rush.

greyshark

I skipped Armor/Mental Breakdown, Death, and Retaliate. I bother bringing Auron and was still able to get mastery, there are enough other conditions that I ended up not needing it. Using Carbuncle for the first two bosses really helped saved ability uses for the last one, which was not a big deal as long as I had Power Breakdown/SG applied.

You have to have:
healing
diaga
Carbuncle
venom buster
silence buster

I was fortunate enough to end up with both a 5* and a 4+* FFX Sword, so I went with Advantaliate. Auron had the strongest sword, Tidus the second-strongest. I think my setup was something like this;

RW: Advance
Auron: Retaliate R5, Iai Strike R4 (RM: Sword+)
Tidus: Venom Buster R4, Tempo Flurry or Magic Break R4, I forget (RM: Holy on Attack)
Sahz: Power Breakdown R3, Silenga R3 (RM: Haste)
Yuna: Kirin R4, Carbuncle R2 (RM: Double Hit)
Yshtola: Diaga R3, Armor Breakdown R3

I used Advantaliate on bosses 1 & 3.
Boss 1: Make sure Iai Strike takes out one of the guard, and melt the other one with Diaga and physical attacks. Get Carbuncle up during first phase. After killing one guard with Auron, I popped Retaliate into Advance. All the various people in this dungeon have so little health that Advantaliate managed to melt them all before either Carbuncle or Advance ran out.
Boss 2: Diaga + Tidus's Holy damage, combined with some bonus damage from Auron spamming Aiai Strike, melted the boss. Throw up Carbuncle at the start.
Boss 3: Apply status effects, Power Breakdown both halves. Melt with Advantaliate.

While I did have both Sahz's Boon and Yshtola's Stoneskin, I don't think they played any noticeable part in my victory. Boon didn't even get charged until the third battle, and I don't think I needed Stoneskin either.

Falk

that puzzling face
So new event for the JP version went up last night. Laguna finally is in and I got his 5 star weapon. Yeaaaah. 6 Hit attack that hits all enemies and causes Slow, I think.

Did you ever retrieve your account? Or did you start over?

(soz if you posted about it while I was banned on vacation)

Balphon

The only things I found to be essential for the Seymour fights were magic breakdown (for Anima & Mortibodies), carbuncle, and a lunatic high RW. Aerith is the best option for hitting Flux with silence, so the only thing you'd need to worry about sticking is poison. Moreover, I pretty much have Diaga on my white mage for everything anyway.

Shouta

Did you ever retrieve your account? Or did you start over?

(soz if you posted about it while I was banned on vacation)

I just restarted. I pulled a super overpowered weapon for Cloud that has a new Burst Mode mechanic. So I'll just go with that. I just pulled Laguna's Machinegun too, lol. Let's go Death Parade

Razmos

I justttttt barely managed to master the boss rush after about 50 resets and tremendously bad luck.
Probably still took less attempts than it took me for me to beat Seymour in the original game.

Time to throw eggs at Kimahri I guess.

This event is like all the worst parts of FFX rolled into one, with the exception of Auron. Seymour, Kimahri, Sanctuary Keeper, blah

Razmos

Failed to master Biran and Yenke by 1 medal. kept trying with different strategies, but I either do good damage but get murdered horribly, or I manage to survive but my damage is so low that I lose all the action taken medals anyway, either way I can't do it, and with the hideously low chance of Berserk working and the constant spam of Aqua Breath I really don't have the patience to keep resetting.

Also wow, I knew Kimahri sucked but I didn't realize his skillset was that bad.

Falk

that puzzling face
Funny part about the Quest system was there was a shit ton of quests to begin with, then they forgot about it half the time. New quests to hone shit only if someone remembered.

There wasn't even a 'level FFXIV characters' quest.

RIP quest system.

the OCD in me is still gonna craft Barrage/Flare Strike with Orb Dungeon 5*s though because I'm extremely stupid that way

Failed to master Biran and Yenke by 1 medal. kept trying with different strategies, but I either do good damage but get murdered horribly, or I manage to survive but my damage is so low that I lose all the action taken medals anyway, either way I can't do it, and with the hideously low chance of Berserk working and the constant spam of Aqua Breath I really don't have the patience to keep resetting.

Also wow, I knew Kimahri sucked but I didn't realize his skillset was that bad.

It is the worst. Not sure if you have the abilities necessary, but I went full-auto on them and it turned out pretty well. I would probably build something like this...anything with Ranks next to them are critical skills that I used all/almost all up.

Cecil: Draw Fire, Shellga (RM: Auto-Protect)(Back Row)
Sahz: Magic Breakdown, Faith (RM: Haste)
Yuna: Valefor R3, Alexander R2 (RM: SMN Damage+)
Vivi: Meteor R1, Quake R2 (RM: Devotion)
Yshtola: Diaga R3, Berserk (RM: Holy Damage+)
RW: Rinoa's Angel Wing Quake (Or another powerful AoE attack, but then don't forget to bring Slow somehow for the target score!)

You could probably shuffle things around a bit. The only major bit of RNG would be getting Berserk to stick early and getting Shellga/Magic Break out before magic-guy does too much AoE damage to you. Battle strategy would be hitting punchy-cat with Berserk, so Cecil can easily tank all of his damage. Then apply mitigation for magic-cat and AoE nuke them to hell. Wait for Faith before beginning the barrage to maximize damage. With natural 5* staffs (but no RS) I was getting ~9k with Faith from the summons + meteor. Have your WHM focus Diaga on magic-cat since he's more dangerous to your damage medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom