• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A lot of how you feel about the mechanics (and also a lot of what you feel about the business model!) depends on your level of patience.

Should you pay to draw rare relics? The answer is that if you're remotely patient, no. You get mythril, you get event items, you get free draws (yes your probability is low but if you do a free draw daily you would expect ~3.5 5* relics a year) and there's no rush to rush through content. But if the idea that you can't constantly be making progress RIGHT NOW drives you nuts, you'll pay. Buying a week of progress for $1 is going to feel better than buying 15 minutes of progress for $20, obviously, and that's what creates value or robbery in the business model, but if you're so impatient that you'd rather pay $20 than play for 15 minutes, then you might make that choice anyway. So pay if you want to.
And then when you've wasted your money, you will feel empty and hollow and ultimately be embarrassed to admit to other humans that you got duped because you're basically the guy at the gas station who spends $100 on lottery scratch-tickets and wins nothing only at least it's possible he'll win money and you won't.

Should you save up for mythril 11x or use it right away? Well, the answer depends on your level of patience as well. cpp_is_king makes a pretty clear argument why using them right away is probably more productive in terms of making more immediate progress. I mean, a slight efficiency gain isn't worth it it takes you months of playing to realize that gain.

On the other hand, why use mythril at all? Through levelling and grinding and event items, you can probably get to a point that you can beat almost all or all of the content without even using mythril at all. Some might say "boy, that's a lot of grinding", but if you don't like grinding, why play the game, because the game is basically a very elaborate grinding metagame.

You even see it in a lot of the replies here. A mix of people posting "I've beat too much content, when is new content coming, I don't have a goal" and "I can't beat enough content, it's been a week, why is there still content I can't beat". The central tension is about patience--many people feel compelled to play all the time all day, and given that they're going to, they don't want to have to hit walls and wait for easier ways to scale those walls if it means having to cut back on playing.

I don't think there's a right answer
besides that paying real money is a chump move

Why stockpile them, though?

Because if you dont' have anything to spend them on, maybe you want to wait until you do? Furthermore, the cost to level your stuff increases exponentially as you get higher in level. If you dump, say, 10 scarletites into a level 1 item, you pay the level 1 price for all 10. If you dump 1 scarletite into a level 1 item, and it takes you to say level 5, and then you dump 9 more in, you're paying the level 5 price 9 times. So now imagine doing it where you use the items you have the second you get them. This gets extremely expensive very quickly, especially since the exp to level up also increases very rapidly. You will be spending hundreds of thousands of gil to level up one item to max this way. But if you save up 10 big ones, and use them all at once, you will spend like 1 or 2 thousand and get it very high level.

Razmos

Mastered Floor 60 (the one where you first need ranged attacks) on the first attempt.
That wave cannon is kinda ridiculous though. Way too much damage.

I'm starting to think I might manage Sephiroth after all.

Coldphire

Neo Member
What does the large yellow potion that drops sometimes do? It does something to my characters and then a number 1 or 2 or 0 will show up next to them.

Also what is the difference between the green and blue potion? Both seem to heal so I wasn't sure what the difference was.

Einbroch

Banned
What does the large yellow potion that drops sometimes do? It does something to my characters and then a number 1 or 2 or 0 will show up next to them.

Also what is the difference between the green and blue potion? Both seem to heal so I wasn't sure what the difference was.

Ethers. They recovery ability usage.

Green heals more than blue (twice as much? something like that).

Bisonian

Yellow potion restores ability uses. Green potion heals for considerably more than the blue one.

StMeph

What do you guys do with 2* equipment? I vendor the 1* stuff since it isn't worth combining or fusing with others, and 3*+ of course can be upgraded and fused up to 5*, but the 2* stuff eludes me. Is it worth keeping/combining, or is it really just a placeholder until something better comes along?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What do you guys do with 2* equipment? I vendor the 1* stuff since it isn't worth combining or fusing with others, and 3*+ of course can be upgraded and fused up to 5*, but the 2* stuff eludes me. Is it worth keeping/combining, or is it really just a placeholder until something better comes along?

I think cautious people are keeping in case they can combine up to 4* and take advantage of a wide set of synergy boosts as different realms release, but personally I'm trashing most of what I get. I'm not ever going to get to a point where I'm versatile enough to efficiently tackle everything, I'd rather powerlevel and grind my way through content than micromanage that much, ahahah.

Einbroch

Banned

Vendor 1*, keep a class of each 2* item for each game. Definitely keep swords, but thinking of thinning out some of the lesser used weapons like fists and axes.

Meier

Did more farming and upgrading (and got the Silver Harp) and then wooped up on the One Hundred Gunner this time. I'm an idiot and used the mage's soul break on the enemy right before the boss (ugh, stupid instinct of saving spells) so I didn't get that part and finished it with an Expert level. :( Now to try the next levels..

Prototype

I upgraded and combine at least 1 copy of everything as high as I can take it. I want options for future dungeons.

Not all 1* stuff is vendor trash. 1* Rod maxed out at 3* is stronger than the 4* Light Rod from Octomammoth if you're in a IV dungeon. Unless I have something that is both better *and* of the same affinity, I keep it.

Roto13

This game likes to give me staffs. Relic draw has given me one 5-star staff and two 4-star ones. That'd be great if I had more than one character who used them. :p

GAMERG0D

Ooh I got a Mythril Knife 2* (FF II) in the hard daily. I was saving up regular knives for the orb daily tomorrow for synergy but hopefully I can get another one of these.

Colby

I basically agree with everything superkampo said. Just need patience and leniency regarding grinding. I mean, let's look at Rydia. A maxed Black Cowl, a Light Rod, and an accessory of your choosing makes her a bonafide monster, and it costs nothing but time (I got three Cowls in seven runs today, for example).

I don't feel any urgency to use Mythril pulls in order to beat the hardest elite dungeons, because there's all the time in the world to beat those dungeons with natural leveling and equipment upgrades. It'd be different if we were 100+ dungeons deep, and I was worried about falling behind. But, of course, if you feel the need to throw SE a few bucks, or to get the thrill of a pull every few days, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not as efficient as waiting for 11 pulls, in my opinion, but if you don't mind, then it's no biggie.

Final note: aren't you guys getting a ton of pulls that aren't useful at the moment? With a lack of characters and FF titles in the current game, I'd be somewhat worried to be wasting valuable inventory space on weapons/armor you can't utilize efficiently. But I haven't looked at the 4/5 star equips at all, so maybe they are awesome even without those boosts.

Razmos

What's the resonance bonus for accessories? Weapons is more attack, Armour is more defense, so what do accessories do? just double the stats?

Yasadril

finally beat shinra challenge event. Rufus was easier than hundred and heli boss. Now just farming daily. Any word on when the cecil event date?

Prototype

Trying to get 1 last cowl before the Event starts. Man, I'm really excited.

Going to be booting Sephiroth. His equipment options kinda blow, and I don't have the Masamune.

So I'll be running Kain, Cloud, Cecil, Rydia, Whm.

finally beat shinra challenge event. Rufus was easier than hundred and heli boss. Now just farming daily. Any word on when the cecil event date?
6pm

Caerith

Both 1* and 2* stuff is a placeholder until something better comes along, but in the meantime it's worth keeping and combining if you can use them for synergy.

This is one of the first mobile games I've enjoyed in as long time.

It's weird that its just free and there really seems to be absolutely no reason to spend any money at all unless you want to play it for 5 hours at a time.

Seems like something they could put out as a $10 download title on 3ds pretty cheap and easy. I barely seems like a free to play game.

Oh and I just spent 5 mithryl and got masamune. Is that good or rare?

This is one of the first mobile games I've enjoyed in as long time.

It's weird that its just free and there really seems to be absolutely no reason to spend any money at all unless you want to play it for 5 hours at a time.

Seems like something they could put out as a $10 download title on 3ds pretty cheap and easy. I barely seems like a free to play game.

Oh and I just spent 5 mithryl and got masamune. Is that good or rare?

Haha, this guy.

I don't think there's a right answer
besides that paying real money is a chump move

Going back to this, I'm not sure I agree. I like paying for all games I play, why not this one? A few years ago some musicians (Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead come to mind) experimented with giving away their albums for free and letting people pay what they wanted (including 0). Are the people who paid for those albums also chumps? What about the people who pay $200+ for a Kickstarter? Chumps or not? If people who pay for F2P games are chumps, then why aren't people who don't pirate software?

Shouta

Only keep 2 Star equipment until you have a 5 Star equivalent. for it because when you do and the 5 Star is maxed, it's almost guaranteed to be stronger than the Upgraded 2 Star even, even with Synergy. 5 Star with synergy is even more powerful.

After you're confident you have the 5 star pulls, then start dropping 2 or 3 star gear by selling it for gil.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I honestly have no idea what I'm doing I just play the battles like the old games.
Sorry, not laughing at you or anything. You got the absolute best equipment that can be pulled at the moment and you mentioned it so nonchalantly that it was funny haha.

I guess I just wondered if it was some baked in "Super rare drop" to make you feel like spending more money on relic drops.
U5g305O.jpg

Caerith

Going back to this, I'm not sure I agree. I like paying for all games I play, why not this one? A few years ago some musicians (Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead come to mind) experimented with giving away their albums for free and letting people pay what they wanted (including 0). Are the people who paid for those albums also chumps? What about the people who pay $200+ for a Kickstarter? Chumps or not? If people who pay for F2P games are chumps, then why aren't people who don't pirate software?

It depends on why you're spending money. When I played Puzzle & Dragons, I occasionally checked the unofficial facebook group for info on events, and kept seeing people posting pictures of literally thousands of dollars worth of iTunes gift cards they just bought with captions like "was going to get more but my bank declined charges, hope this is enough for the weekend." There's a pretty wide spectrum between behavior like this and "I enjoy this game and don't mind giving them some money to support it," but the majority of mobile games are so rotten that spending money on a F2P game tends to associate one with crazy facebook people.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Going back to this, I'm not sure I agree. I like paying for all games I play, why not this one?

If you want to do it out of charity, then by all means go ahead and do it out of charity (although I think it's misguided in terms of impact--I certainly wouldn't donate to a charity that couldn't remotely quantify how my donation helped anything except "if we get rich, you get more good stuff *waves hands*"). My question is whether you'd do so even if you didn't get mythril. If the answer to that is yes, then this is basically patronage, so whatever floats your boat.

A few years ago some musicians (Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead come to mind) experimented with giving away their albums for free and letting people pay what they wanted (including 0). Are the people who paid for those albums also chumps?

No, because the business model for the album and the content of the album are not connected. Radiohead and NiN didn't release those albums with the expectation that a few thousand people would give them tens of thousands and the rest would freeload-ish (which is what F2P games are based on), and once you've decided to pay or not pay, they don't ask you again, right? I don't think there's much comparable to this besides other forms of gambling. Video lottery terminals are also a chump move, although at least they can potentially pay out.

What about the people who pay $200+ for a Kickstarter? Chumps or not?

I would say the people buying the "stuff" tiers (like "I get a statue") are mostly getting value for money relative to their own value calculations, while the people in the sort of more abstract tiers (like "Have a pizza party with the main actress and then she records your voice mail") are mostly people who are wealthy enough that value doesn't enter their calculations at all.

If people who pay for F2P games are chumps, then why aren't people who don't pirate software?

No, because I'm not advocating people hack their way to get F2P stuff for free, I'm advocating people not pump money into the money machine in exchange for a chance to gamble and win nothing.

Generally I think the way you can tell it's a chump move to pay for gacha is the fact that the people doing it consistently post "wow that was a waste of money". That's a pretty good indication it's a bad, short-sighted move :p

If you want to do it out of charity, then by all means go ahead and do it out of charity (although I think it's misguided in terms of impact--I certainly wouldn't donate to a charity that couldn't remotely quantify how my donation helped anything except "if we get rich, you get more good stuff *waves hands*"). My question is whether you'd do so even if you didn't get mythril. If the answer to that is yes, then this is basically patronage, so whatever floats your boat.

It's not so much charity as it is just paying for what you consume. I agree there's different categories of people who spend money on F2P games, but on the other hand I recognize that these games only exist *because* of the whales. If there were no people spending thousands and thousands of dollars, we wouldn't have the game in the first place because there's no business model.

So it's hard for me to say that they're chumps, because they're literally the only reason any of us are able to play at all. It's like "don't shit where you eat" you know?

I don't sit around making fun of people that spend thousands of dollars to fly across the country and pay for a hotel just go to a furry convention. That's their deal, whatever right?

Besides, to a lot of people this is disposable income. $100, $500, $1000, $10000. Any number you come up with, there's people for whom it's just not a significant amount of money

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What are some of the "must bring" skills against Rufus? I'm trying to ready my team!

1. Blind (Dark Attack, rarely works) and Poison Rufus.
2. Kill the dog
3. Kill Rufus

No particular weakness, just bring whatever brings the damage + has enough uses to sustain you through the fight.

It's not so much charity as it is just paying for what you consume. I agree there's different categories of people who spend money on F2P games, but on the other hand I recognize that these games only exist *because* of the whales. If there were no people spending thousands and thousands of dollars, we wouldn't have the game in the first place because there's no business model.

So it's hard for me to say that they're chumps, because they're literally the only reason any of us are able to play at all. It's like "don't shit where you eat" you know?

I don't really think Cops should praise Criminals for keeping them employed, nor should windowmakers praise vandals. As long as whales are paying, I'll take advantage of being able to freeload, but I'd rather they didn't and in many cases I'd rather they couldn't, even if it meant me having to pay upfront.

Besides, to a lot of people this is disposable income. I don't sit around making fun of people that spend thousands of dollars to fly across the country and pay for a hotel just go to a furry convention. That's their deal, whatever right?

I mean, I'm not going to go out of my way to harass someone for how they choose to spend their money, but I think you'd find the satisfaction rates of taking a cross-country vacation and meeting people and doing something you enjoy is probably higher than the satisfaction rate of spending $100 on Scrabble scratch-off tickets and winning $0 5 minutes later, and I think if someone reported a high satisfaction at the latter we'd probably consider them a problem gambler, not someone responsibly using their own money.

Either way, I wasn't necessarily trying to provoke a wide-ranging debate about IAP practices or best responses as a user (ultimately I don't control anyone else, even if I think you're a chump, I have no control over you, chump away by all means). I think the game is pretty well balanced that players don't need to purchase stuff so I'm not troubled by the game itself. I was just lightly ribbing chumps in an aside to a remark about how generally the game's mechanics are built around patience and optimal game satisfaction requires a bit of it.

What are some of the "must bring" skills against Rufus? I'm trying to ready my team!

People are saying dark, but I didn't and had little issue with him.

Healing though, that's the right answer. Lots and lots of healing. Any level 2 spells you can bring are also good (Thundara, Blizzara, Fira) just make sure to not waste them on the puppy, who has relatively low HP anyways, and don't use them on Rufus til after the puppy is dead and shell has worn off (same goes for any physical attack abilities and protect).

As for the topic of spending money... I have 'spent' $3 on this game... I say 'spent' because it was money from those google research surveys they have... so all it really cost me was the time I put into answering those.

Caerith

Dark Attack is nice when it works, but you're going to have to reload lots of times before it does.

The best prep you can do is giving your team VII armor-- armlets on your attackers, protect vest on your healer-- and taking Tifa with a leather glove++ to be your main damage. Have your healer equipped with Cura and Protect, and, if possible, try to grind the previous levels to fill your gauge so your attackers can unleash soul breaks as soon as Rufus's buffs are gone.

Either way, I wasn't necessarily trying to provoke a wide-ranging debate about IAP practices or best responses as a user (ultimately I don't control anyone else, even if I think you're a chump, I have no control over you, chump away by all means). I think the game is pretty well balanced that players don't need to purchase stuff so I'm not troubled by the game itself. I was just lightly ribbing chumps in an aside to a remark about how generally the game's mechanics are built around patience and optimal game satisfaction requires a bit of it.

My main objection is just that I've played a number of these games and the GAF community has always been really great. And In every thread, there's always one or two whales. I don't think we should be actively ostracizing anyone for how they play. Many of these hardcore players are the ones who do all the theory crafting, figure out the numbers and formulas, etc that helps everyone including the free players get the most out f the game.

I'm currently strapped for Gil, trying to upgrade to work my way through last levels of shinra tower. Any reason to keep minor black or white orbs? I got a ton and can fill my wallet if I sell them. Seems everything now is about lesser orbs.

Deadly

Is anyone doing higher level stuff (Elite dungeons, Hard dailies) still just using Tyro as a healer?
For hard dailies I use a dps weapon but keep healing spells on him in case. I'm thinking of having him as a perma caster for elite dungeons though.

Caerith

I'm currently strapped for Gil, trying to upgrade to work my way through last levels of shinra tower. Any reason to keep minor black or white orbs? I got a ton and can fill my wallet if I sell them. Seems everything now is about lesser orbs.
The money dungeon ran on Wednesday last week in addition to its usual Saturday; maybe it'll run tomorrow and solve your gil problems.

Is anyone doing higher level stuff (Elite dungeons, Hard dailies) still just using Tyro as a healer?

I tend to use Tyro as my main healer, since even though his stats are terrible he's more durable than White Mage. That and he has 20 levels over WHM. For the hard dailies, though, I usually just go pure offense and retreat between battles if I need to.

Should I use tyro? What do I spend mythril on?

You should use Tyro until you feel comfortable not using Tyro. Mythril should only be spent on rare pulls (if you're patient, wait for it to feature a weapon you want to use) and increasing your inventory limit.

Razmos

Fighting the boss of floor 65, only Tyro and Rydia have attacks that can hit the boss, the rest are defending. 9/10 of the bosses attacks focus on Tyro and Rydia, leading to them both dying and the battle becoming impossible. great.

Caerith

Fighting the boss of floor 65, only Tyro and Rydia have attacks that can hit the boss, the rest are defending. 9/10 of the bosses attacks focus on Tyro and Rydia, leading to them both dying and the battle becoming impossible. great.

Kain can use Jump, which can hit ranged bosses. Have Tyro cast Protect on Rydia to keep her alive.

Roto13

I tend to use Tyro as my main healer, since even though his stats are terrible he's more durable than White Mage. That and he has 20 levels over WHM. For the hard dailies, though, I usually just go pure offense and retreat between battles if I need to.

I'm using both Tyro and White Mage, and they're about the same level. They both have Cura, but it is significantly more effective coming from the White Mage, to the point where I don't think I'd be able to make it if I didn't have her.

However, she does have a level 20 5 star Judgment Staff and Tyro just has a sword so that probably helps. :p

I think I'm going to replace Tyro with
Paladin Cecil
from this event.

Yes! I did all of FFVII and FFX, all of FFIV but the last one, all of FF V but the last two and the first one of FFVI. I mastered them all. No 5* relic but some good upgraded equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom