• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
Considering that Japan has had a head start on this version and that their goal somewhere down the line is parity, the chances for repeat events seems actually smaller. Unless they're content to have multiple simultaneous events at once.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Since Rydia has first dibs on any better magic boosting equipment I manage to snag I've been keeping Tyro equipped with a Lamia's Tiara+ to get his curing better. Mine is doing a decent job so far with the harp in normal battles and in keeping people alive with honed cure/cura in the bosses, so I can't complain. I like the idea of having someone who can equip everything, so I'm keeping him around.

Anyway, I hadn't mastered any of the bosses in the Shinra Event and I wasn't going to bother, but I decided to give it a try and now I only have Rufus left to master. I had to stop to conserve my stamina for the daily though, I need to farm and spend all this gil to upgrade my stuff.

Phew, finally beat the final floor of Shinra and got Sept and not four seconds later my Internet decided to cut out for five minutes. Not sure what would have happen if I had defeated the final boss one turn later after I was cut off from the net but I imagine nothing good.

Phew, finally beat the final floor of Shinra and got Sept and not four seconds later my Internet decided to cut out for five minutes. Not sure what would have happen if I had defeated the final boss one turn later after I was cut off from the net but I imagine nothing good.

Probably nothing until you can connect to the server, but probably can't guarantee the safety of your device or your surroundings

TheExodu5

Banned
As I understand it,

1) Flick on Airplane mode at any round with the boss fight
2) Fight as usual, when you win and the loot does/doesn't drop, the game will try to reconnect and pop up a "can't connect, try again?" error message
3) If you don't like the drop, switch out of app and kill the app process.
4) Once the app is closed, turn Airplane mode off.
5) Reopen the app - you will get a message saying you can resume boss fight at beginning of round. Go back into the fight, then Flee (this has to be done to reset the loot drop apparently).
6) Restart the boss fight level from beginning, then turn Airplane Mode back on. This will have a chance at dropping different loot.
7) Rinse and repeat. Once you find a loot drop you like, keep the app live and turn Airplane Mode off, then finish the round as usual.

I've only done this a few times, but it did net me one Black Cowl. I'm trying not to excessively grind, but we'll see.

If you're fast enough, actually, you should be able to bypass the whole airplane mode nonsense -- once you see an orb drop instead of the loot from the boss, you have a very slim window of time to hit pause, then flee manually. This is immensely hard to do if there is no orb drop, though, so the Airplane Mode method just gives you a failproof window of reset opportunity since it pauses before finishing the fight.

Thanks!

Thinking today is my last day with Tyro.

Pretty sure Cecil is warming up waiting to take his place in my team.

Japanese players, and FF fans... when is there a named character that can out heal white Mage coming?

Tyro is like the shitty, rename-able self-insert jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none that's pretty much useless.

When Vaan gets added there's gonna be two of them.

White Mage is obviously superior, but Tyro is the only person i can find that can use Dark Attack, and he can use ranged while white mage can't, so there's that too. So he's situational. It just so happens that those situations come up frequently in the Shinra tower, but I'm hoping not so much after.

Btw, when does the light and darkness event start? It hasn't shown up on my list of events yet.

White Mage is obviously superior, but Tyro is the only person i can find that can use Dark Attack, and he can use ranged while white mage can't, so there's that too. So he's situational. It just so happens that those situations come up frequently in the Shinra tower, but I'm hoping not so much after.

Btw, when does the light and darkness event start? It hasn't shown up on my list of events yet.

Try wakka for dark attack and ranged.edit oh I see what you mean, nevermind on that.

Ashodin

Eight hours from now.

Good lord, Tyro vs Rydia Thundara damage is insane...Rydia = beast mode. Tyro's heals are also p bad. I'm starting to question bringing him to the final two dungeons in Shinra.

I'm on floor 69 of shinra tower. Waiting for stamina. I brought him because of Dark Attack and only Dark Attack. To compensate for his shitty heals, i just S/L every floor until i take little to no damage. So that guarantees I'll get to the boss unscathed, then S/L until blind sticks and shouldn't have to heal much anyway

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm on floor 69 of shinra tower. Waiting for stamina. I brought him because of Dark Attack and only Dark Attack. To compensate for his shitty heals, i just S/L every floor until i take little to no damage. So that guarantees I'll get to the boss unscathed, then S/L until blind sticks and shouldn't have to heal much anyway

That's some hardcore shit.

That's some hardcore shit.

It's not quite as bad as it sounds. Cloud and Tifa one shot trash mobs, so it's just a matter of them attacking first. And i only S/L if i get a critical or a large amount of damage. Small hits are usually healed by the end of round potions.

rhino4evr

Paladin Cecil? So long Tyro. Need a good healer/fighter. Does anyone know his stats from the Jpn version? Does he have a high magic rating. Or is it similar to sephiroth?

Meier

Got a second whip finally so that will be nice. The black cowl, I don't think I got that when I first beat the boss so is it a pretty rare drop in general?

JPS Kai

Got a second whip finally so that will be nice. The black cowl, I don't think I got that when I first beat the boss so is it a pretty rare drop in general?

It's the only 3* boss drop so far so yeah, it's safe to assume it's pretty rare. :3

Meier

It's the only 3* boss drop so far so yeah, it's safe to assume it's pretty rare. :3

I thought the boss drops were auto on the first time through and subsequent were just kind of rare luck. I guess they wanted to make one a total crap shoot. :)

StMeph

I'm just farming Lesser Power Orbs before the event begins, but the rates are awful when you're specifically chasing certain drops.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm just farming Lesser Power Orbs before the event begins, but the rates are awful when you're specifically chasing certain drops.

Yeah. Since every area drops 3+ orb types, if you only want one, it can be very hard to ensure you get what you want.

Falk

that puzzling face
I thought the boss drops were auto on the first time through and subsequent were just kind of rare luck. I guess they wanted to make one a total crap shoot. :)

That's more of a stage clear reward than boss loot. Completely separate. (i.e. stages with no boss also have similar first clear/mastery rewards)

What's the best place to grind in the Shinra Tower?

For what? If you want exp, you can refer to this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TSYXQcpTBAWFAMDJJdSxVpJkSxk/edit#gid=83595128

Note that higher exp / stamina isn't always better, you have to look at the stage too. Shinra Building 36-40 looks the best from this chart, but then you look one column to the right and see that's only for the boss floor. So if you want to grind that you'd have to do all the floors leading to the boss too. So based on that I think probably floor 46 and 47 are the best, then exit and go back in.

Where are you farming? You can use this

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...B7DoKJCGodDPgTU0JTbploNcu0/htmlview?sle=true#

to get all the locations. What I like to do is pick an area that has at least one other orb type that I'm also interested in, even if it's down the line. That way it's not completely useless if you don't get what you're looking for.

elty

Is there a finite amount of mythril that you can get without paying? It seems that way since you only get it the first time you beat a level... Makes me not want to risk using it on the relic draw. Used my first 5 mythril and got garbage.

- daily bonus (1 per 5 days)
- events (some stage gives mythril as first time completion bonus)
- special bonus (many f2p games will give out free gem during special occasion like Christmas)
- sorry bonus (for maintenance downtime or screw up etc)

Roto13

Went back and won the Protect Ring from the final floor of the Shinra event, so I'm done with that. Want to get some weapon upgrade materials before the next event starts later today. All of my (equipped) armour is as maxed out as I can get it without getting dupes, but several of my weapons could use some upgrading.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
- daily bonus (1 per 5 days)
- events (some stage gives mythril as first time completion bonus)
- special bonus (many f2p games will give out free gem during special occasion like Christmas)
- sorry bonus (for maintenance downtime or screw up etc)

plus mythril from regular game/"classic" content, being released every month--and mythril from elite stages you're finally levelled enough to handle.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When they events repeat in Japan, can you earn their prizes a second time or does it save your progress?

I believe that in Japan when they have repeated events they have added Hard Modes. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Not sure if you can also win the easy rewards again

StMeph

I started this last week and I'm wondering if there is any reason not to use the Relic Draw when I have 5 mithril. My only comparable experience is with Puzzle and Dragons, where you hoarded magic stones until a godfest. Is there a similar strategy with this game or do you use the Relic Draw whenever you can?

mstevens

Don't really need the weapon upgrade mats right now, so I think I'm going to work on some elite dungeons today. What time is the new event supposed to go up?

mstevens

I started this last week and I'm wondering if there is any reason not to use the Relic Draw when I have 5 mithril. My only comparable experience is with Puzzle and Dragons, where you hoarded magic stones until a godfest. Is there a similar strategy with this game or do you use the Relic Draw whenever you can?

If you save up 50 you can pull 11 instead of 10. Definitely worth it. I heard that there might be an increase in 5* items that way, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Roto13

If you save up 50 you can pull 11 instead of 10. Definitely worth it. I heard that there might be an increase in 5* items that way, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I don't think that's worth it. There's no guarantee that that 11th relic will be something you can use, and you'll have an easier time earlier on if you luck out and get some decent relics as soon as you can pull for them. Plus, getting 50 would take forever in the first place.

Is it worth it though? That's a 10% increase in rewards, but it comes at an oppurtunity cost... Beyond the first 50 mythril, it becomes quite a bit harder to obtain... with a good portion of which being elite dungeons. The elite dungeons require higher gear, by waiting til you have 50 you are severely hamstringing yourself in the short term for a possible 'miracle' pull in that last 10% bonus.

It's really not as simple as some people make it out to be, there are valid reasons not to save it.

I don't think that's worth it. There's no guarantee that that 11th relic will be something you can use, and you'll have an easier time earlier on if you luck out and get some decent relics as soon as you can pull for them. Plus, getting 50 would take forever in the first place.

Beaten!

Einbroch

Banned

It's not worth it unless you have basically a fully decked out squad. The upgrades you'll get from each pull will allow you to beat stronger stages, get more Mythril, get more characters, get stronger materials for abilities and upgrades, etc etc.

A ten pull for an active player isn't worth it most of the time. Its opportunity cost is too much.

Edit: d-d-d-d-d-double beaten

Thanks! I'm leaning towards taking them when I can get them, since if I can get a few good pieces of equipment early on it should help me advance. Just pulled a 4 star Crystal Armor, that seems pretty good...

I keep seeing references to the Silver Harp but haven't seen it anywhere. Is it a random pull with mythril?

Don't think I'll end up getting Sephiroth. That 100 Gunner is just too much for me for some reason. His mega wave beam or whatever absolutely wrecked me yesterday. Might have been able to beat him if I used a mythril but didn't think it was worth it. Everyone I've leveled up to fight him ranged is just paper thin. :|

Whittle him down with regular thunder and lower level attacks. When he gets to 50% life, he begins charging the cannon. Once you see that it begins charging, unload your Thundara on him and do jumps. He'll fall easily. Don't use your higher level stuff first.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You know what is worth it though? Spending $35 to get 15 seconds of anxious anticipation followed by crushing emptiness and self-loathing... and a feeling that if you do it again you just might get what you're looking for to fill the hole in your life.

rhino4evr

I forgot all about rare relic pulls, and spent like 5-10 mithryl on healing and stamina refills. Whoops.

Thankfully I've gotten some nice 4 star weapons from my last few pulls. These items are pretty much required to advance on the harder stages.

Has anyone combined two Javelins? Thinking of doing it unless I get another great weapon soon

LowParry

You know what is worth it though? Spending $35 to get 15 seconds of anxious anticipation followed by crushing emptiness and self-loathing... and a feeling that if you do it again you just might get what you're looking for to fill the hole in your life.

I've done this. I'm itching to do it again. Save me. :(

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

It's not so bad in this game. Weapons don't have a lot of pull when it comes to those feels. Now, if the game instead put the actual characters in the gacha, it would be such a big problem.

Shouta

It's not so bad in this game. Weapons don't have a lot of pull when it comes to those feels. Now, if the game instead put the actual characters in the gacha, it would be such a big problem.

It's probably worse with weapons because getting shitty gear for real money sucks, lol.

The "godfests" for this game involve putting 4 char's worth of gear into the gatcha for a few days then rotating to another set of 4 chars. You can get some really good ones in these and it's a good time to pick up some of the more powerful weapons and soul breaks.

If you have decent gear already, saving for these isn't too bad of an idea at all. If you don't, then going after the current gatcha with your mithril is a pretty solid idea to bring you up to speed.

mstevens

I just did a quick count and I think you can have 50 by now if you do every dungeon + the shinra event + the dailies on easy and normal + your first "weekly" freebee. That's not counting elite dungeons.

I think all of that is more than doable without a relic pull, and I kinda wish I had that extra pull now. Plus, then that first 11 pull might last you until you can save up for the next.

Is it confirmed that there is a different drop rate for 11x pulls?

garath

Even with the "featured" weapons, it doesn't seem to tie into any actual rarity rate up which is disappointing. Still just as likely to pull 3* crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom