• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just beat and mastered Sephiroth level. Maybe it gets easier when my characters get stronger, but currently it seems like levelling up a new character is really rough. I've dumped 40+ eggs and 10+ runs of Normal exp dungeon into one character and that barely got him to 20.

What's the most efficient way to get new characters up to speed? With Sephiroth level 1, I seriously doubt I'll have him ready for Cecil in time.

garath

Just beat and mastered Sephiroth level. Maybe it gets easier when my characters get stronger, but currently it seems like levelling up a new character is really rough. I've dumped 40+ eggs and 10+ runs of Normal exp dungeon into one character and that barely got him to 20.

What's the most efficient way to get new characters up to speed? With Sephiroth level 1, I seriously doubt I'll have him ready for Cecil in time.

Sepiroth gets a nice bonus just from the Shinra dungeons. I basically dumped a few eggs on him to get him in the high teens and did the 40s in Shinra over and over until he caught up. Tifa and Sepiroth are both in their 30s for me now.

Vorpal

Quick question about crafting vs honing abilities: I've finally made one Cura, one Dark Attack and one Thunder Strike. In general, would it be better to focus on making more (so that Wakka and Tidus could both use Dark Attack in one round, for example) or should I just keep honing the ones I have?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Quick question about crafting vs honing abilities: I've finally made one Cura, one Dark Attack and one Thunder Strike. In general, would it be better to focus on making more (so that Wakka and Tidus could both use Dark Attack in one round, for example) or should I just keep honing the ones I have?

From a guy who played on the JP server and wanted to help the US server out:

Is it better to hone or create another same ability? It is always good to hone ability. At later stage the minimum ability level required will be level 3-4. However, at the beginning due to short of orbs, you may want to consider creating the same ability but not more than 2 of them (except for double cut, which you can make 3. I shall talk about this more when the ability "counter attacked" is released).

ZeroAKA

I don't think that's worth it. There's no guarantee that that 11th relic will be something you can use, and you'll have an easier time earlier on if you luck out and get some decent relics as soon as you can pull for them. Plus, getting 50 would take forever in the first place.
Is it worth it though? That's a 10% increase in rewards, but it comes at an oppurtunity cost... Beyond the first 50 mythril, it becomes quite a bit harder to obtain... with a good portion of which being elite dungeons. The elite dungeons require higher gear, by waiting til you have 50 you are severely hamstringing yourself in the short term for a possible 'miracle' pull in that last 10% bonus.

It's really not as simple as some people make it out to be, there are valid reasons not to save it.
I mastered every Shinra floor on my first try without using any mythril and got up to 50 mythril in about a week. The first 50 really isn't that difficult to get, so you might as well just save up.

It's cheaper to make new ones, but you generally have one person who's more powerful and thus better to stack more spells on them...

Also FUCK ANT LION! Finally killed it... after doing 14k damage to it with spells. (4 Blizara doing nearly 3k each) and a bunch of thundara.... I ran out of magic again, and I spammed all of the attacks, all of the heals, lost 3 people and FINALLY beat him.

I mastered every Shinra floor on my first try without using any mythril and got up to 50 mythril in about a week. The first 50 really isn't that difficult to get, so you might as well just save up.

Yeah... I kind of said outside of the first 50 mythril.

GordonShumway

Neo Member
Any thoughts on spending mythril on more equipment slots? I'm doing alright with item management so far but considering how important equipment synergy is in this game and the fact that there is going to be at least 12 different realms (1-10, 12, 13 - is that it?), seems like holding on to everything you want for each realm is going to become a too much eventually.

Roto13

EXP is divided among all party members alive at the end of the battle, so it might be worth it to pair him up with one other, stronger party member and do lower level, lower stamina dungeons. Half of 1500 or 2000 EXP is better than one fifth of 3000 EXP.

You probably won't need him for the next event anyway. Sounds like it's easier than the current one.

Caerith

Any thoughts on spending mythril on more equipment slots? I'm doing alright with item management so far but considering how important equipment synergy is in this game and the fact that there is going to be at least 12 different realms (1-10, 12, 13 - is that it?), seems like holding on to everything you want for each realm is going to become a too much eventually.

I've seen it said that you should wait to pull until you have 52 mythril-- 50 for a 10+1 pull, 2 to expand your inventory to fit those items.

As it is, I wouldn't expand your inventory now because most of your inventory is full of junk. XII gear, for example, or horded adamantite/scarletite (you're never more than a few days from getting more).

I've been thinking about that. If you have five weapons and five armors from each realm, that's already 120 slots before taking accessories into account. And surely, you're going to keep more than the bare minimum per world to allow some flexibility in teams. It would be helpful of course if your equipped gears were not counted in your inventory. I'm considering dropping maybe 10 mythril for 50 more slots now, just to carry more scarletite and adamantite between the dailies since I'll need the storage space later on anyway. Dropping two relic pulls is of little to no consequence, imho.

Looks like Abandoned Mineshaft is going to be the best bang for buck for orb farming this time around. It drops both Lesser Fire and Lesser Black, both of which are needed to create and hone Fira and Fire Strike. Furthermore, the boss of Abandoned Mineshaft drops Mythril Armor, which also has a IV affinity, so will be great for stacking on anyone who can use them. I don't know what the drop rate is like, but I got one earlier by accident just goign through the level.

All Elite dungeons until 26 MASTERED.

I cannot kill the boss on SS Liki at all, the FFV Wind Shrine boss from the time I tried flattened me beyond belief (two days ago) and I'm assuming the hardered difficulties will just flatten me. So I guess I'm at a mini brick wall.

Looks like Abandoned Mineshaft is going to be the best bang for buck for orb farming this time around. It drops both Lesser Fire and Lesser Black, both of which are needed to create and hone Fira and Fire Strike. Furthermore, the boss of Abandoned Mineshaft drops Mythril Armor, which also has a IV affinity, so will be great for stacking on anyone who can use them. I don't know what the drop rate is like, but I got one earlier by accident just goign through the level.

Okay, maybe I will have better luck there because I just went through South Figaro Cave twice with only 2 orbs dropping total! Wasn't even a fire orb. I was like WTF.

rhino4evr

I've run it a few times and I've yet to get any kind of fire orbs. I have gotten lesser ice, black, and a boss ice orb though.

I think figaro may be better for farming just fire orbs

Okay, maybe I will have better luck there because I just went through South Figaro Cave twice with only 2 orbs dropping total! Wasn't even a fire orb. I was like WTF.

Keep in mind that it's all just RNG in the end. I've done entire runs (every floor including boss) and gotten 0 orbs, and other times I've gotten 4 orbs in a single level of a dungeon.

Kitoro

Will there be any added social elements to the game down the line? Or is this just going to stay a completely solitary affair?

MicH

Will there be any added social elements to the game down the line? Or is this just going to stay a completely solitary affair?
I believe the Japanese version has some social elements so we'll probably get those in a later update

Caerith

So, every time someone asks if they should save mythril for 10+1 or pull when they have 5, I see talk of "opportunity costs" and how you hurt yourself in the long term by not pulling now. This makes no sense to me, so I have to ask: am I missing something?

The "opportunity cost" school of thought makes a lot of sense in games like Love Live where there are frequent events with leaderboards attached. If you spend your currency early, you can have better stuff to do the events with, which means you can score higher on the leaderboards, which means you can get better rewards which will only help you perform better on future events, etc. In games like that, the strong get stronger, and spending early is an investment.

As far as I can tell, though, Record Keeper has no competitive element, and that at any given time, there's only a finite amount of mythril available. Let's say there's X mythril in the game (right now, X ~= 72, but it'll change when the event goes live). All players who have logged in 10+ days have access to X mythril. Not all players will have 100% of X; someone who didn't do the elite dungeons might only have 70% of X, but that other 30% isn't going anywhere. Clearing events faster/better doesn't change how much mythril is available. There's no way to get >X mythril, and the only way a player will have <X mythril available to them is by not playing (ie, not logging in and not completing limited time events).

So, am I missing something? All of the content in the game is manageable without rare pulls, and there doesn't seem to be PVP or a ranked ladder, so how does pulling now benefit someone in the long term? What advantage is there that offsets having 10% more relics later?

Personally, I was going to wait to pull until they were featuring a relic I'd want to use, like the the one for Celes or Vanille or Red XIII, but if I'm doing it wrong I'd like to know.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You get 1 extra relic by waiting. I've been pulling intermittently just because. The one extra isn't worth it for me because I'd rather get a piece of gear now. I've been lucky in that my 4 pulls so far have been 2~5* pieces.

Unrelated...Made quick work of Hundred and Heli Gunner with this team. Need to make a few tweaks before I take down Rufus, but I think I should be able to finish this event and get my Sephiroth before it ends!

Q8ijTyq.jpg

So, every time someone asks if they should save mythril for 10+1 or pull when they have 5, I see talk of "opportunity costs" and how you hurt yourself in the long term by not pulling now. This makes no sense to me, so I have to ask: am I missing something?

The "opportunity cost" school of thought makes a lot of sense in games like Love Live where there are frequent events with leaderboards attached. If you spend your currency early, you can have better stuff to do the events with, which means you can score higher on the leaderboards, which means you can get better rewards which will only help you perform better on future events, etc. In games like that, the strong get stronger, and spending early is an investment.

As far as I can tell, though, Record Keeper has no competitive element, and that at any given time, there's only a finite amount of mythril available. Let's say there's X mythril in the game (right now, X ~= 72, but it'll change when the event goes live). All players who have logged in 10+ days have access to X mythril. Not all players will have 100% of X; someone who didn't do the elite dungeons might only have 70% of X, but that other 30% isn't going anywhere. Clearing events faster/better doesn't change how much mythril is available. There's no way to get >X mythril, and the only way a player will have <X mythril available to them is by not playing (ie, not logging in and not completing limited time events).

So, am I missing something? All of the content in the game is manageable without rare pulls, and there doesn't seem to be PVP or a ranked ladder, so how does pulling now benefit someone in the long term? What advantage is there that offsets having 10% more relics later?

Personally, I was going to wait to pull until they were featuring a relic I'd want to use, like the the one for Celes or Vanille or Red XIII, but if I'm doing it wrong I'd like to know.

How far in the game are you? Once I cleared all the classic dungeons, I was unable to really progress at a rate I was happy with. Elite dungeons were too hard, I couldn't make it far at all in Shinra Tower, and EXP dungeon wasn't going to be for a while. You can take it slow, re-doing old classic dungeons trying to farm for gear like Black Cowl or Whip, and I did that. But it still wasn't enough. So I used my mythril pulls (I think I had 5 saved up by that time). I got a 5* and a bunch of 3*s, and those helped me push me over a hump. It allowed me to clear the first elite dungeon, and get the Light Staff for white mage. From there it wasn't too long utnil I could kill Octomammoth with mastery giving me the Light Rod for Rydia.

Ultimately, the gear I got allowed me to progress now instead of in a few days. And I reasoned that the opportunity cost of waiting for who knows how long, maybe a month, to get that 1 extra free pull wasn't worth it.

How far in the game are you? Once I cleared all the classic dungeons, I was unable to really progress at a rate I was happy with. Elite dungeons were too hard, I couldn't make it far at all in Shinra Tower, and EXP dungeon wasn't going to be for a while. You can take it slow, re-doing old classic dungeons trying to farm for gear like Black Cowl or Whip, and I did that. But it still wasn't enough. So I used my mythril pulls (I think I had 5 saved up by that time). I got a 5* and a bunch of 3*s, and those helped me push me over a hump. It allowed me to clear the first elite dungeon, and get the Light Staff for white mage. From there it wasn't too long utnil I could kill Octomammoth with mastery giving me the Light Rod for Rydia.

Ultimately, the gear I got allowed me to progress now instead of in a few days. And I reasoned that the opportunity cost of waiting for who knows how long, maybe a month, to get that 1 extra free pull wasn't worth it.

This, and again... the benefit to waiting is only a 10% increase to gear. Some people (myself included) are willing to 'lose' that 10% for immediate benefits (more easily able to complete and farm harder dungeons for orbs/gear).

Einbroch

Banned

I don't know if it's possible to farm hard dailies with never rolling. You're giving up weeks and weeks of EXP, gil, materials, and orbs to roll one extra time, which has a <25% chance to get more than a 3* item. It's just not worth it.

Plus events that come out that you might not be able to clear, locking characters until the event rolls around again.

Not to mention that I find myself spending my Mythril on expanding my inventory. I've hit the cap, even at 130 spaces, many, many times.

This, and again... the benefit to waiting is only a 10% increase to gear. Some people (myself included) are willing to 'lose' that 10% for immediate benefits (more easily able to complete and farm harder dungeons for orbs/gear).

Yea, and on top of that, that 10% is actually just $2.50 - $3 if you want to put it in money terms. A couple of days of my time is worth $3

I believe that in Japan when they have repeated events they have added Hard Modes. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Not sure if you can also win the easy rewards again

Correct. Rewards for stages do not reset. Also the JP version have been given us a mythril a day on top of the daily reward stamps, so 2/5 days you can get 2 mythrils. JP version just also recently gave out a 5* FF IV sword for free.

edit: Also if you're a IAP it's cheaper too because of the exchange rate.

Caerith

I cleared the classics, some of the elites, and Shinra Tower. The tower basically gave me the keys to mastering it-- free synergy armor in the form of armlets and protect vest, Tifa with a synergy weapon, etc.

I don't know if it's possible to farm hard dailies with never rolling. You're giving up weeks and weeks of EXP, gil, materials, and orbs to roll one extra time, which has a <25% chance to get more than a 3* item. It's just not worth it.

Plus events that come out that you might not be able to clear, locking characters until the event rolls around again.

Not to mention that I find myself spending my Mythril on expanding my inventory. I've hit the cap, even at 130 spaces, many, many times.
The Friday daily can be autobattled with Cloud/Tifa/Sephiroth in synergy armor. The other dailies require paying attention, but you can still beat at least the first dungeon of them then retreat and try again if you're hurting.

What do you need 130 spaces for?

Einbroch

Banned
What do you need 130 spaces for?

Synergy gear + upgrade materials. I try to keep all 2* and up for combining as long as they fit a criteria. One bow, one staff, one sword, one spear/axe, and one fist weapon per game. That's like 60+, just for combining. Synergy, baby!

liezryou

Even with the "featured" weapons, it doesn't seem to tie into any actual rarity rate up which is disappointing. Still just as likely to pull 3* crap.

Yeah i think they confirmed this on the subreddit. The featured items only increase your chance of pulling that specific 5* item. Your chance of actually pulling a 5* remains the same.

Maybe this is explained somewhere in the game, but I didn't see it anywhere. Apparently Scarletite gives an EXP bonus when used on Weapons, and Adamantite (or whatever it's called) gives an EXP bonus when used on Armor. I never knew what the difference was, and just fused everything away into whatever.

It seems the bonus is a 2x multiplier when used on the correct type (so like a 1* scarletite gives 300 exp when used on an Armor, but 600 exp when used on a weapon)

Maybe this is explained somewhere in the game, but I didn't see it anywhere. Apparently Scarletite gives an EXP bonus when used on Weapons, and Adamantite (or whatever it's called) gives an EXP bonus when used on Armor. I never knew what the difference was, and just fused everything away into whatever.

It seems the bonus is a 2x multiplier when used on the correct type (so like a 1* scarletite gives 300 exp when used on an Armor, but 600 exp when used on a weapon)

I think it was just heavily implied with the Weapon Upgrade Dungeon and the Armor Upgrade Dungeon dailies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Shinra building fully mastered, ready for the next!

And yeah, count me in the camp of those who have been pulling whenever. No regrets. Maybe saving mythril can be a better strategy, but for me a good pull now is better than the possibility of a great pull in the future. There's no real winning with gacha.

I learned my lesson long ago when it comes to hoarding in F2P games. Whenever I actively avoided using resources waiting for a supposed best time I'd always end up getting bored of the game before said time ever arrived.

Their equipment types are Weapon Upgrade and Armor Upgrade

Caerith

Synergy gear + upgrade materials. I try to keep all 2* and up for combining as long as they fit a criteria. One bow, one staff, one sword, one spear/axe, and one fist weapon per game. That's like 60+, just for combining. Synergy, baby!

I get keeping synergy gear, but why keep upgrade materials?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Please no social elements... I don't want to have to nag my friends and family for stamina...

I don't think any mobile game of this type operates like this. You have friends so that you can use their heroes in your own games, not to bug them for free stamina. This game is SORELY missing social features!

MicH

Ayyy, got my third Black Cowl! That was surprisingly easy. Got all three with the stamina I had today. Now I can get a few runs in the daily dungeon and combine them :)

Wilsongt

You know what is worth it though? Spending $35 to get 15 seconds of anxious anticipation followed by crushing emptiness and self-loathing... and a feeling that if you do it again you just might get what you're looking for to fill the hole in your life.

Reminds me of my Evony days... :(

Ayyy, got my third Black Cowl! That was surprisingly easy. Got all three with the stamina I had today. Now I can get a few runs in the daily dungeon and combine them :)

burn through 120 stamina no cowl. Then i realize if I kept playing like this I was better off quitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom