• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
The U+ boss in the tactics event is very bizarrely named. I guess FF took many mythical creatures etc and encorporated FF versions of them into the games (Odin for example) but Cuchulainn? Its a cool sounding name so maybe it was just randomly tacked on to the creature without any connection to its origin? I haven't played Tactics so I don't know the context?

If it was a giant dog monster or something at least it might slightly make sense because Cu is Irish for hound (Cuchulainn literally means Hound of Cullen) but Cuchulainn was actually just a normal plain human warrior (not quite Oogiee Boogie from A Nightmare Before Christmas) The legends make him sound like he has some sort of superpowers, but it's mostly just exaggeration of stories passed on throughout history. He's like an Irish Robin Hood/Jesus...

...missed opportunity really. It's not like legendary Celtic Warrior wouldnt fit right into a final fantasy. Tactics even has that vibe from what I've seen.

Cuchulainn is the mortal incarnation of Lugh, a god who killed a king with poison. In Ivalice games, the poison esper/demon/whatever is always Cuchulainn.

LucaMac

Cuchulainn is the mortal incarnation of Lugh, a god who killed a king with poison. In Ivalice games, the poison esper/demon/whatever is always Cuchulainn.

Absolutely no connection to the origin of that name so.

Wait was it in XII then? Surprised I missed that name there if it was. The legends of Cuchulainn were drilled into us in school.

Going to have to try track down a way to play tactics now. I don't think I've come across the proper tactics before. Tactics advance yes, got deep into that one twice on an emulator before the phone going belly up and wasn't bothered trying again with it. What platforms was the original tactics? Tried getting it in an emulator with no success.

MrDaravon

This is the first U+ I've been able to do, and I did it in one go including the CM, don't take that sense of accomplishment away from me :p

Finally having everyone leveled AND doing a shitload of hones from orbfest is probably going to finally let me get more U+'s done now though :D

WarAdept

This is an interesting Nightmare dungeon. 1st try, I'm clearing the Tonberries alright (with my super cheap ass hones, I'm using the free Paralyze shot at R1 as my interrupt), then Tonberry King comes and wrecks my face with x3 Junk spam.

Refusing to look at the Reddit AI thread until a few more attempts. Hope I don't have to make Dismissal.

Balphon

Absolutely no connection to the origin of that name so.

Wait was it in XII then? Surprised I missed that name there if it was. The legends of Cuchulainn were drilled into us in school.

Going to have to try track down a way to play tactics now. I don't think I've come across the proper tactics before. Tactics advance yes, got deep into that one twice on an emulator before the phone going belly up and wasn't bothered trying again with it. What platforms was the original tactics? Tried getting it in an emulator with no success.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cúchulainn_(Final_Fantasy_XII_boss)

3Xh0tLe.jpg

This is an interesting Nightmare dungeon. 1st try, I'm clearing the Tonberries alright (with my super cheap ass hones, I'm using the free Paralyze shot at R1 as my interrupt), then Tonberry King comes and wrecks my face with x3 Junk spam.

Refusing to look at the Reddit AI thread until a few more attempts. Hope I don't have to make Dismissal.

You're going to likely need Dismissal anyway if you want medals as one of the medals is for interrupting a regular Tonberry's actions, and Dismissal is the best way to do it.

RE the rest, my strategy...
I found the key was to take out the Tonberries in a very chilled-out manner. Lots of regular attacks, conserving specials, etc. I locked them down with the dance move that stops, and then just slowly picked them away while keeping them locked down. RNG obviously is a factor here for if the stop hits.

This lets you both conserve moves and build your SB meter for the Tonberry King. When the king arrives, I pretty much dropped a Wall (native or SG, same difference) immediately and absolutely battered him with 5* skills and SB/SSBs. He was dead in 3 turns. The key is to blast him down quickly, because he has really good moves and in a war of attrition you'll lose. Dismissal does work on the king too, where Slow and Stop do not. Not a great hit rate for me though. I just bunkered down against the regular Tonberries, stopping and Dismissing them and taking them down slowly while having my SSB stars of the show build meter with lifesiphon. Then blasted the king.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Will they ever let you have more than 500 items? I really don't know what to delete now... like I guess 5++ items are worthless even with synergy because natural 5s are always better regardless?

WarAdept

Will they ever let you have more than 500 items? I really don't know what to delete now... like I guess 5++ items are worthless even with synergy because natural 5s are always better regardless?

I can't even fathom how you have 500 slots maxed, unless you're collecting every single piece of gear for collection purposes.

I can't even fathom how you have 500 slots maxed, unless you're collecting every single piece of gear for collection purposes.

I had to start selling things only a week ago. Previously, I was collecting one of everything, but my optimism for an early storehouse feature wasn't met. So far, I've been selling off 1++ items I can get from daily draw, so once the storehouse is out I'll be able to recollect and combine them again.

Use the synergy simulator, you can probably sell most, if not all, of your 3★++ stuff at this point.

MrDaravon

Use the synergy simulator, you can probably sell most, if not all, of your 3★++ stuff at this point.

Yeah, I ditched all my 3++ stuff a while ago; even in realms where my synergy is really weak strong native 5*'s from other realms would often be about the same if not slightly better, and even in cases where the 3++ was better it was only by maybe a few points which wasn't worth my sanity and inventory management.

Edit: Oh shit, I can finally do the Nightmare Dungeons now probably! I've barely touched any of them, much less completed them. Hahaha.

>_>

Yeah, I ditched all my 3++ stuff a while ago; even in realms where my synergy is really weak strong native 5*'s from other realms would often be about the same if not slightly better, and even in cases where the 3++ was better it was only by maybe a few points which wasn't worth my sanity and inventory management.
I need to do another purge myself, I'm still needlessly holding on to a few things that are probably only a couple of points better than off-realm items (if that).

0/11 on Shout banner. I wasn't going to pull again until Guaranteed 5*s, but I folded with the talk of some of these relics never returning again. :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A lot of it is dupes of 3++ items that I've gotten from events. I also have like various duplicate 5* items that I'm not sure if I should merge or not... but I got rid of a lot of stuff recently. It just keeps piling up.

I had to start selling things only a week ago. Previously, I was collecting one of everything, but my optimism for an early storehouse feature wasn't met. So far, I've been selling off 1++ items I can get from daily draw, so once the storehouse is out I'll be able to recollect and combine them again.
What's the storehouse?

Yeah, I have to. It's getting annoying because I can't even do draws anymore since I have no idea what to delete whenever I get something.

WarAdept

Ugh these upcoming XIII banners. Fang's stuff is real good and I can see Sazh's stuff has some value but they're both split between the banners. And some really Mage specific stuff. Mage Fist and Mage Bow. Hope's BSB thrower is the most useable out of all that and even then, I'd rather a simple rod.

MiTYH

Part of me knows I need to spend the time to actually look at my orbfest goodies and make better abilities, but I was so upset I hadn't maxed out stamina shards before the event, that I'm just bursting my way through main stages until I hit a wall, then I'll look at them.

Currently at 107 stamina, stage IX part 10. It's about 1/2 way down the map, and there's still a looot of elite dungeons too

What's the storehouse?

It's an inventory bank where you can put items, abilities, and record materia that you don't need on the regular. It has a limit of 500, but the upgrade increments are much cheaper/larger. I assume they went this route instead of increasing the inventory cap because records in the storehouse are less queried, which will be a cheaper load on the database. I was hoping we'd get it in the last feature patch, but I guess we'll have to wait for the next one.

WarAdept

Goddamit it, I knew it wouldn't but I tried it anyway. Paralyze shot doesn't count as an interrupt on the Tonberries. Got Expert, due to also having 1 medal lost on Actions.

Looks like I have to craft Dismissal. Boo.

EDIT: Lol. My celerity users are too good.

Qwxr7pB.jpg

For a second there, I thought you had 142 stamina in Mobius.

100 gems gave me Garland's Dark Plate with the 3 AoE Dark Elemental Hits + Imperil Dark. Not sure what to think of the item yet. Will need to look into how viable a Dark team is! Sure will be a + for the U+ this event at least and yay for FF1 synergy!

Kenai

Hey do any of these D A R K B O Y S have support 5?

Edit: no they do not
Edit again: or support 4 even oof

I just bit the bullet and used Faris since I have her BSB with Yshtola SS2 as well. Terra and Cloud hit really hard even with SS2 up, pretty sure one of Terra's Flares did over 2k through Full Break + Magic Breakdown + Shell + SS2. So yea...

My Dissidia bonus battles:

Bartz (Ultimate)
Terra & Cloud (Ultimate +)

Some supreme errors in judgement. Like not killing Terra first while I actually have charges of Heathen Frolic Sarabande. I almost never roll without some flavor of Haste, so I grossly overestimated how much damage I could do in a Stoneskin window. To compensate for the lack of Haste, I should've used Stoneskin when Terra/Cloud transitioned into their weak phases. I should do it again, but not so embarrassingly. Also, did anybody here snag Garland BSB? I'd like to try that out too.

Stuck at Terra and Cloud for the Ultimate+. They are so fast. I did manage to kill Cloud, but only Sephiroth was alive. Terra completely destroys me since I don't have SG.

LucaMac

Hammered Bartz into a pulp but only got expert because I overlooked the medal conditions. I just assumed I'd some version of full break to deal with it. Ended up just throwing dances in kefka, but it dropped my damage output a good bit. Still smooshed him, just slower. Got Cloud and Terra first time. Having Kefkas cloak let me bring SG as a RW and still field all villains.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's an inventory bank where you can put items, abilities, and record materia that you don't need on the regular. It has a limit of 500, but the upgrade increments are much cheaper/larger. I assume they went this route instead of increasing the inventory cap because records in the storehouse are less queried, which will be a cheaper load on the database. I was hoping we'd get it in the last feature patch, but I guess we'll have to wait for the next one.
Ahh, I desperately need that... lol

Buff Relic Draw incoming soon. SG, Thyrus, Platinum Sword, Basch's Shield, Vincent's Shotgun and Wizard Rod. Should be unlimited pulls at 50 Mythrils like the WHM banner.

Also, Half price Lucky Draw with Dungeon Update next week. SB from V, XII or XIII.

They really want us to empty our pockets before guaranteed 5 stars...

c-murph

Buff Relic Draw incoming soon. SG, Thyrus, Platinum Sword, Basch's Shield, Vincent's Shotgun and Wizard Rod. Should be unlimited pulls at 50 Mythrils like the WHM banner.

Also, Half price Lucky Draw with Dungeon Update next week. SB from V, XII or XIII.

Finally, SG will be mine!

Buff banner is a hard skip since I have the 4 best relics on it (sg, ss2, shout, apocalypse shield)

The half price banner ones I might pull on, especially the ff13 one

Hey do any of these D A R K B O Y S have support 5?

Edit: no they do not
Edit again: or support 4 even oof

You don't really need full synergy team if you have a decent SB for one of them or a Wall. It's not like you need full synergy for the CM

I didn't take screenshots, but U/U+ was relatively easy for me. Gabranth's Enrage SB MVP. Granted, I have SG

Bartz setup
Gabranth (Enrage): Lifesiphon R4, Dark Bargain R1, RM: Ace Striker
Exdeath (Dark Earth Shaker): Dark R4, Drainga R4, RM: Battleforged
Tyro (SG): Saint's Cross R2, Full Break R3, RM: Dr. Mog's Teachings (Had Holy+ equipment)
Fran (Shatterheart+SSB): Power Breakdown R4, Armor Breakdown R4, RM: Secrets of the Qu
Yuna (HotF): Curaja R5, Protectga R3, RM: Knight's Charge
RW: Shout

This one was straightforward.

Terra/Cloud setup:
Gabranth (Enrage): Lifesiphon R4, Dark Bargain R1, RM: Ace Striker
Kefka (Magic Infusion): Drainga R4, Enveloping Etude R1 (Protectga), RM: Blood of Espers
Tyro (SG): Power Breakdown R4, Magic Breakdown R4, RM: Dr. Mog's Teachings
Sephiroth (Shadow Flare): Armor Break R4, Full Charge R2, RM: Battleforged - didn't use his SBs
Yuna (HotF): Curaja R5, Shellga R3, RM: Knight's Charge
RW: Shout

I took Cloud down first because I brought more Shellgas then Protectgas. Lost 1 damage medal to the Terra magic spam.

Enrage is nuts for a non-SSB against a Dark-weak enemy. 6xDark attacks+Endark. dat power creep

This should have been the starter banner. I have to pass, owning both walls and the platinum sword. Really hoping for a good lucky banner roll, my xii and xiii synergy is lacking, one sword for xii and two Vegas for xiii for melee guys.

MrDaravon

Going to wait until Friday to do the U and try the U+, I need all of the Major Orbs from the daily today and tomorrow but I don't need Friday's (Holy/Dark) right now, have enough already for upcoming abilities I want. Man, having an actual concrete plan for this game and the orbs I need and want etc is goddamn fantastic. Still so so happy with what I accomplished during orbfest, I got everything I wanted that's out now made, and I know my exact goals on all of the abilities coming in the next 6 months. Plus now that virtually everyone is capped and leveling isn't an issue I just have a S tier auto-battle team saved in my Favorites that can just auto-battle through any daily without me having to pay attention etc. It's fucking great.

I will totally pull on that Lucky Draw because why not, but no way I'm paying on the buff banner without guaranteed 5*.

BUFF SOUL BREAK RELIC DRAW
Ramza's Platinum Sword
Garnet's Wizard Rod
Vincent's Shotgun
Tyro's Sentinel's Grimoire
Y'shtola's Thyrus
Basch's Platinum Shield

Omg, I only have Garnet's Wizard Rod. This banner is nuts. Getting either Walls would be a game changer for me. Shout would be fantastic too.
Definitely pulling on this. I can use almost everything on this banner.
There is no info on when this banner is going up?

LucaMac

I've drawn a total of 4 Wizard rods on top of all Garnet's SBs that I'm aware of. Have platinum sword and Tyrus too...and yet I'm tempted. I really want a SG. Two more Wizard rods wouldn't go astray either...I really like dupes thanks to dark matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom