• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

Balphon

What's so great about Vaan BSB anyway? What makes it better than, say, Setzer BSB?

The debuff on the BSB itself is rare, the BSB is instant cast, and the quick cast times on the commands result in a good combination of damage, SB gain, and debuff uptime.

Most other debuff BSBs lack one or more of those things.

Ahnez

What's so great about Vaan BSB anyway? What makes it better than, say, Setzer BSB?

Both are *very* powerful BSBs

Vaan is instant MAG/DEF breakdown on entry, Commands are quickcast MAG breakdown and quickcast DEF breakdown

Setzer is ATK/MAG breakdown on entry, Commands are ATK/DEF break and MAG/RES break

Vaan has the rare MAG/DEF debuff, and frees two ability slots from your party, as his commands are Magic breakdown and Armor breakdown.

Setzer entry and commands are double breaks, so they stack will almost everything.

Basically, any of them can make debuff based teams objectively stronger

So remember last fest there was that person who spent $900 trying to get Terra's relics and getting a tonne of Tin armour then quitting the game shortly after...

Well another fest, another Terra relic chaser resulted in:
Fw3yxRhl.jpg

:(

Not me. I didn't even pull on this banner on fear of getting due Cecil BSB and the SSBs. I'm such a slacker right now. Got the U++ of FFVI to do (should be okay maybe even a Cid mission as I have Runic), 6 battles from mirred in crisis (completed Ultima weapon which was eh, Gilgamesh Cid mission was quite fun with some cheesy HnR, nearly got Chaos cid mission down with reta meta but my DPS was so bad that it got to do the AoE stop thing after its second scripted one and that was game).

Iscariot

It's all somewhat debatable or team oriented, but Vaan has an instant cast MAG/DEF -40% debuff, and then a 50% MAG cm1 and 40% DEF cmd2.

So this is particularly impressive for a physical oriented team versus most bosses who tend to be most dangerous with their magic. It also stacks with fullbreak and the reverse wall of say a Setzer BSB or Agrias Cleansing Strike SB. It's also on a character who isn't really a support. Vaan is primarily a Thief/Celerity, so it gives people a lot more wiggle room for comps. It probably tailed off a bit when the mage/Raines meta was kingshit. But Vaan's BSB is still considered good in Japan and I'm sure the Cloud USB meta has something to do with it.

friz898

I like Vaan's BSB, was one of the first (it was like my second BSB I drew).

I have Ramza with USB
OK with VoF, Blowback, and Onion Slice
Firion who is my main character somewhat, with his BSB and does breaks.
Now I have Wakka's BSB Break.

I keep trying to figure out the best possible way to create a group with that, oh and including having Tyro's BSB with baby breaks, and Lenna's USB that stacks on Ramza's.

But I haven't figured it out yet. Everything hits hard, and I hardly get hit -- but in that combination there isn't any kind of huge dps there. Closest would be OK's burst, but still figuring it all out.

I think I'm getting close to figuring out how to do Bahamut with my tools, but this one didn't come easy. My karma for Sephiroth one shot.

Xetherion

Whew, finished the Mired in Crisis event.

Jecht CM was tough as my DPS in X is lacking. Also his Triumphant Grasp attack was almost 100-0ing my party members despite FB, Rikku's Mug Power SB, and Auron's ATK/DEF break SSB all being applied. He was actually less scary once below 50% hp since Triumphant Grasp went away. I eventually ran out of hones on both Wakka and Rikku, but was able to stay in the fight thanks to the above mentioned SB's. Also had Braska's SSB giving the party major regen which helped too, and the mag buff helped Yuna. Yuna was mvp with her burst, she not only kept the party alive but also did most of the DPS towards the end. Valefor was hitting for 7k while healing, or 28k on turns when i didn't need to heal. Rikku died at the end and the rest of the party was low hp, but Yuna finished off the boss ftw!

Then the Sephiroth fight, man. I tried my regular mage meta team and quickly realized it wasn't gonna work, so I took out Raines and Fujin and brought in Vincent with his burst for Radiant Shield, and Vanille for instant medicas. S/L several times and still couldn't get it to work as Seph kept killing people whenever i didn't have a heal ready at a moment's notice. So i switched out Yuna for Relm, and things went much smoother since Relm's burst gave me Last Stand for peace of mind, and her burst's c1 insta-curaja helped a lot too. Also having Relm's USB as well for another instant medica helped in the last phase.

Need a break after those tough bosses, will leave the Torment for later.

friz898

I may give up on this d300 soon, or at least wait until I do a couple of my pulls.

I didn't check the date, but if it's still there and I can RW Cloud USB, that could be a thing. Also, maybe I will pull SG/Wall on Banner 5.

I've tried a buffed team, debuff team, a mix of the two.

A Shout-Melee team, a Mage team.

A couple variations of Wind teams.

I'm now trying a Holy team since it's possibly my best element.

After that, probably a new version of a mage team.

Radiant Shield teams do really well getting me to 40% but I often don't have any gas left to finish him off since using Deployment Tactics 2-3 times, limits using Alphi burst.

Well GAF, I did a paid pull for the first time. Got 2/11 Vaan's BSB and Relm's BSB. First healing burst! Probably not worth the cash but whatever. Maybe in 2 years I'll spend some more.

Last Stand is more common now, but that's still a great burst.

Yeah, I'm happy about the commands. Takes some pressure off getting Ultra Cure ranked higher as I have unlimited basic cures now.

Didn't have Vaan either. His breaks are 50 down, right? What is the entry?

Oh I see it above 40/40 opening 50MAG 40DEF

BDs are 40 right? So I get a slightly higher MAG plus rare opener.

I guess MAG and RES BD are -50. So the numbers above are standard BDs. Entry is the key. Works cuz I don't have any MAG-DEF soul breaks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty much need 3 levels of debuff on ATK and MAG.
Yeah. That Phase 2 dispel + 3 AOE magic attacks is just... stupid. You have to have magic debuffs on him at exactly the right moment. It just feels like a gear check fight, except your gear is entirely dependent on getting the right Bursts, something that is out of your control.

I also appreciate how GBF tells you how much health a boss has. Trying to look at the pixels of his feet to see if he's at 60% health feels so janky. lol

Thorgal

A question about record spheres.

Do you level up all subclasses (in sephirot case dark Knight, red mage, warrior etc..) eventually or only specific ones?

If the latter how to best know which ones to level?

A question about record spheres.

Do you level up all subclasses (in sephirot case dark Knight, red mage, warrior etc..) eventually or only specific ones?

If the latter how to best know which ones to level?

You level up all of them. Once you do that for a character through all 4 star mote job spheres you can use 5 star motes to get Legend Materia and even bigger stat boosts.

~----------

Put in lvl 71 Vaan and 99 Relm (Irvine, Arc)for Sephy run to get mastery. Made it to final stage and would have won had my transition did a bit more damage so all my buffs(Garnet, Tyro) being cast didnt get wasted when I failed to make cut.

Impressed with Vaan. Will try again at lvl 80.

WarAdept

Started on Mired in Crisis, took pretty much all day playing here and there. None of the bosses pre Sephy gave me any trouble for their CMs... Except for Gilgamesh. My V synergy suuuuucks.

Speaking of Sephy...

Mired in Crisis - Advent Madness

Zidane - Solution 9 (BSB2)
Tyro - Wall
Ramza - Shout
Y'shtola - Asylum
Eiko - Guardian Mog

RW - Guardian Mog

My Zidane has his LMR and very strange but wonderful BSB2. He was my only DPS here. Everyone else was done in support of buffing his DPS or surviving the fight. Eiko's amazing USB proved to be once again one of the best 'oh shit' buttons in the game.

Super slow time of 55 secs. I'd love to refine it further but I don't have the time right now. Need to pump out the rest of the Sabin event.

sogtLBYl.jpg
LsAboFvl.png
ieQLLSgl.png

Ahnez

Sephiroth was insanely hard

I lost count of how many times I had to change my strategy to finally beat him

Vaan had his BSB, Ysh with Wall and BSB, Cloud with his OSB, Red XIII with Lunatic High and OK with his OSB.
RW was Galuf Meta

Charge all three of Cloud's and OK's SB gauges, use Galuf's SSB on both and span their OSBs. The second RW summon must trigger the first dispel of despair. Under Vaan's BSB entry, cmd 2, Mug Bloodlust and full break, Cloud was hitting for almost 70k and 50k for OK.

Vaan, Ysh and Red died just after the dispel

Those debuffs were running out before I could unload all 6 OSBs, but it worked

On a side note, this was the most 'expensive' boss to date for me. I had to egg Cloud from 89 -> 99, unlock his Legend Sphere, unlock two of his +10atk legends, unlock OK's white 5 and unlock Vaan's Thief 6

Grats! And yea, it was hard as shit. Personally I found the main roadblock to beating it was surviving the 3 back-to-back AoE attacks with zero deaths. Out of probably 50 attempts, I only survived with 0 deaths 3 times, and it was on the 3rd time that I beat it. So without that little gimmick, it would have been significantly easier (with the setup I used anyway)

Syntsui

Just finished the VI events. That Chadarnook fight was insane, the game is consistenly throwing very unfun fights every new event. I don't know how long I can put up with this bullshit.

Tonight I'll finish the rest of the Mired in chaos bosses, I'll save Sephirot for when Cloud RW is available., no need to frustrate myself.

friz898

Just finished the VI events. That Chadarnook fight was insane, the game is consistenly throwing very unfun fights every new event. I don't know how long I can put up with this bullshit.

Tonight I'll finish the rest of the Mired in chaos bosses, I'll save Sephirot for when Cloud RW is available., no need to frustrate myself.

I needed a break from d300 torment.

So I wrote out the deadlines for my remaining challenges, and I was like oh crap d220 VI is gone tonight. So I'm working on it now.

I agree it's unfun, I think someone said they enjoyed it being different. For me, having to S/L because I got Jarring blow-Confused to one person and before I can remove the confuse it bops the boss starting a confuse chain for everybody --- is not fun.

I know what to do, and I beat the Jumpstart version on the first day, just not fun making sure everything goes perfect with the debuffs. Just like Marlboro's in real Final Fantasies. I love how cool the mob is, but I NEVER looked forward to a fight with one on any game. Never enough ribbons for everybody.

Syntsui

Sephiroth is gone when we get the FF VII event.
Fuck.
I needed a break from d300 torment.

So I wrote out the deadlines for my remaining challenges, and I was like oh crap d220 VI is gone tonight. So I'm working on it now.

I agree it's unfun, I think someone said they enjoyed it being different. For me, having to S/L because I got Jarring blow-Confused to one person and before I can remove the confuse it bops the boss starting a confuse chain for everybody --- is not fun.

I know what to do, and I beat the Jumpstart version on the first day, just not fun making sure everything goes perfect with the debuffs. Just like Marlboro's in real Final Fantasies. I love how cool the mob is, but I NEVER looked forward to a fight with one on any game. Never enough ribbons for everybody.
The worst problem with this game is how it is balanced around resetting for better RNG >.>

Shadow780

friz898

Haha, oh Jesus.

I just beat the d220 regular from Sabin and CM'ed it.

I got expert, but ehhh..

Then after it was all done just now, I realized I didn't have to CM it, there was no uh.. CM reward.

So I just beat it with:

Setzer - Full Break/Magic Breakdown - No Relics
Relm - (MVP) Last Stand BSB with holy for changing forms.
Locke - (MVP) Holy/Fire BSB. Could not have done it without him.
Terra - Chain Firaga, Back up Heals
Mog - Diaga, Back up heals - Rev Wall SSB.

I used Deployment Tactics as RW, but Terra Fire OSB would have been just as useful, possibly better. Getting the OK 610 buff to go along with Radiant shield is nice though.

I could have done it without Terra or Mog, and Setzer. Locke and Relm relics were too important.

Now that I just torturted myself doing that with FF6 only, I'm going to quickly go back and get Mastery by replacing Setzer, Terra, and Mog.

Oh shit. Well at least I don't feel as bad now about not getting Vaan's LMR.
I think if the gacha just limited people to having 3 copies of a given relic (i.e. one ++) it would destroy situations like that (plus would avoid players being scared of dupe heavy banners) making players happier but on the other hand would probably reduce the games revenue by 80% or somehow reduce overall 5* rate. Plus it deprives whales of rosetta stones...

I'm not sure I've ever looked at an Apoc fight. The U++ is tough enough for me. Especially Cid mission.

As for Mired in Crisis. I still need to try the second half of that. If I found magic master pulling huge damage out of it's ass bad (I ended that Cid mission with three KOd party members and 4th nearly joining them*) I'm not going to like Jehct :|

Part of also thinks just skip it as I'm an fickle player who doesn't want to use the 5* motes in case I legend drive someone who falls by the wayside due to relics.

*-I did actually get to make use of Leo's SSB that I drew on the imperil lucky draw though. Now had I mastered it beforehand I could have used a +holy sword instead.

friz898

Wife came home and got distracted, but don't you fret fellow FFRK'ers, I knew my priorities!

Jokes aside, got that master of d220 Sabin with 30mins to spare.

Firion - Holy/Blink BSB, and Breaks
Relm - Last Stand Holy BSB Goddess
Locke - Holy/Fire BSB and DPS MVP
Alphi - Back up heals and Deployment Tactics
Tyro - Multi Break, Diaga for Form Changing and Keeper's Tome.

Pretty easy fight, but even when you know exactly what to do, a jarring blow can throw everything for a loop.

Mastered Sephy with lvl 80 Vaan and the last team I listed, Kain BSB, Garnet DG, Relm BSB, 80 Vaan BSB, Tyro BSB.

Bunch of useless rewards. Yeah!!!

friz898

Omg 220 mastered at the very last minute. That took me far too long

We really cant allow you to fail that challenge.. unless you're going to change your avatar.

Hey guys, is there no U+ and Raids tonight? Do we get on Monday, Next Thursday or just no?

I've just about got the CM for Chaos... I'll post later after I do 1 or 2 11 pullls on Banner 5 for Wall. Please RNGesus let me have Wall.

I wasn't going to pull on Banner 5 because it had almost entirely dupes, but there were 3 items I didn't have. Warrior of Light CSB, Agrias OSB, and Zack BSB. Zack BSB pushed me over the edge to pull, because aside from Ice, Wind is the only imperil I don't have. So I went in for 1 pull. Got Aerith BSB (dupe), 2x Zack BSB (yay!) and Warrior of Light CSB (omg!). Holy is easily my strongest element now, I've got chains, imperils, en-elements, OSBs, BSBs, magic, physical, so many options.

Definitely done with this one, as that was literally everything I wanted on the banner and I have to restrain myself in preparation for Cloud USB

I wasn't going to pull on Banner 5 because it had almost entirely dupes, but there were 3 items I didn't have. Warrior of Light CSB, Agrias OSB, and Zack BSB. Zack BSB pushed me over the edge to pull, because aside from Ice, Wind is the only imperil I don't have. So I went in for 1 pull. Got Aerith BSB (dupe), 2x Zack BSB (yay!) and Warrior of Light CSB (omg!).

Definitely done with this one, as that was literally everything I wanted on the banner and I have to restrain myself in preparation for Cloud USB

Only Banner I pulled on and got Aerith BSB dupe and Tyro Wall dupe. :(

friz898

I wasn't going to pull on Banner 5 because it had almost entirely dupes, but there were 3 items I didn't have. Warrior of Light CSB, Agrias OSB, and Zack BSB. Zack BSB pushed me over the edge to pull, because aside from Ice, Wind is the only imperil I don't have. So I went in for 1 pull. Got Aerith BSB (dupe), 2x Zack BSB (yay!) and Warrior of Light CSB (omg!). Holy is easily my strongest element now, I've got chains, imperils, en-elements, OSBs, BSBs, magic, physical, so many options.

Oh I meant to tell you, Visa and MC are currently offering a bonus cash rewards on any online purchases.

MrDaravon

Just got my 3rd dupe SG from my 100-gem pull

Probably the ONLY scenario where a 5* is useless to me, at least with most stuff a dupe means it's at least a stat stick for forging, books are useless :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just got my 3rd dupe SG from my 100-gem pull

Probably the ONLY scenario where a 5* is useless to me, at least with most stuff a dupe means it's at least a stat stick for forging, books are useless :(
I have like 4 veils too, so I can basically start a FFRK Library. :p

friz898

Two 2/11's

Not very good. No SG and would have taken WoL CSB as a victory.

Vanilla Burst (new), Vanille Burst (dupe), Agrias Burst (dupe), Agrias OSB.

I have a huge ton of healing bursts and medicas. Only thing useful is Agrias OSB but I already had WoL OSB.

friz898

Ok took a bunch of tinkering and trying several different RW but got Chaos CM.

WoL, Princess, WoL, Matoya, Echo.

Only relic in any of them was WoL OSB.

Got it with Rosa USB.

Now the one left is Braska FA cm. This one should be easier.

3 pulls complete disaster.

4/11
Sg x 2 (dupe)
Aeris bsb dupe
Vanille bsb dupe

2/11
Sg
Minfilia bsb dupe (now 8* at least)

2/11
Sg
Vanille USB

So right, 8 relics only one new one and 4 sgs...Yeah.... 4

RNg giveth and taketh away...

friz898

All you folks getting SG ...

Braska FA CM done. Not much to say, I am stacked with relics in that realm.

Tides CSB and BSB, Yuna medica, Wakka BSB, some Rikku basic relics. Radiant shield with Tifa USB did a lot of damage with all his physical AE.

Mired in whatever is completely done.

My phase 4 pull 4/11:
2x Alphi SSB (dupes, now 8-star)
1x Alphi BSB (squee!)
1x Terra USB

Phase 5 2/11:
1x Zack BSB
1x Minfillia BSB
Neither dupes.

I really want Tyro's OSB to complete him and the stat boost, but I know better than to chase, especially seeing as how with that pull I have 7 of the relics on that banner. Too bad there's no known recurrence.

Syntsui

Wow, Gilgamesh was hard. Very hard. But at least it was an honest fight, no RNG bullshit that kills you before you can do anything, he slowly builds up until he completely overwhelms you. Pretty cool fight, now on to the last set of bosses before Sephirot.

Balphon

I found Gilgamesh to be the most RNG-heavy fight in the event since Dayspring can't be mitigated and everything else he uses in his weak form is fairly pathetic.

BFA and Seph have more actually threatening moves, but they are heavily scripted.

Top Bottom