• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

JSoup

Banned
So, casual newish player here.
Any particularly useful/recommended characters I should be using my Soul of a Hero on?

Tidd

This is for Japan.
Ability Balance adjustment
Also, on July 11, we will be rolling out a number of 5★ and 6★ ability balance changes! This will improve their strength. In today's report, we will be showcasing a few of those ability balance changes that are comming up:
"Flare" and "Flare Strike" will be upgraded to 5 hits
"Holy" and "Meltdown" will be upgraded to 4 hits
Single target 5★ Spellblades (except Flare Strike) will be upgraded to 4 hits
5★ Chain-type Black Magic abilities will be upgraded to 4 hits as well
Certain Darkness 5★ abilities such as "Dread Heal" will be upgraded to 4 hits
Mug Bloodlust will be upgraded to "Deal physical damage to one target, temporarily lower its Attack and Defense a medium amount, and temporarily raise the user's Attack and Defense a medium amount."
Stitch in Time will additionally give the effect "Temporarily raise the user's Attack a medium amount".
Another major change is that all Summoning abilities will now start at 2 uses at R1, which means at maximum rank, there will be 6 uses in total! Furthermore, all abilities from 1★ to 6★ will have increased Soul Break gauge gain when using them, except for certain abilities such as Lifesiphon and Wrath. This means it will be much easier to acccumulate Soul Break bars! Take the chance to farm Orbs and Crystals from the new daily dungeons and refine your abilities for the best usage!
※The ability balance changes is subject to further change without notice
※Please note that increased number of hits does not mean the total power of the ability is increased
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...frk_report_july_special_edition_game_updates/
Full list of ability changes: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...ll_list_of_abilities_rebalance_included_with/

Time to create and hone Flare and Flare Strike! Maybe. I don't really know the multiplier and if they are good.
Soul Break gauge gain increase is also interesting. I hope this will replace Lifesiphone and Wrath. Because nowadays all we do is Lifesiphone/Wrath until we can unleash our SBs. Also this would make characters who don't have access to these two abilities better. (Augh, what was this sentence before lol)
Really seems like they want us to use abilities again instead of BSB cmds.
Okay, just looked at the whole list and yep that's a whole meta shift! Guess I will save some mythril for the next orbfest.

So, casual newish player here.
Any particularly useful/recommended characters I should be using my Soul of a Hero on?

Choose characters for who you have Soul Breaks is the advice most people will give you.

I really shouldn't have pulled on banner 5.

Dupe Wizer Rod, some FFXI SSB (it's a % HP medica and esuna...now this knight can be just like Sabin) and a 6*...Tyro...OSB...maybe I was too tired but I thought it was the USB (how else do you muddle a book and robe) and got excited until I read the description :(

Still wall-less but at least I have two of the most useless Tyro relics (I got Last Judgement a while ago). I suppose the boost fro the OSB is okay but the fact it struggles to do five figure damage is what makes it a complete joke.

Ahnez

I really shouldn't have pulled on banner 5.

Dupe Wizer Rod, some FFXI SSB (it's a % HP medica and esuna...now this knight can be just like Sabin) and a 6*...Tyro...OSB...maybe I was too tired but I thought it was the USB (how else do you muddle a book and robe) and got excited until I read the description :(

Still wall-less but at least I have two of the most useless Tyro relics (I got Last Judgement a while ago). I suppose the boost fro the OSB is okay but the fact it struggles to do five figure damage is what makes it a complete joke.
Tyro OSB is still the only source of party ATK/DEF/MAG/RES buff, so it does have a use, albeit not being optimal

Jarekx

Those changes are awesome. Everything getting increased SB gain is cool too. My Squall can't wait for 5 hit Flare Strike.

ZangBa

Those ability changes are crazy. I hope this means reliance on Lifesiphon and Wrath goes away for building meter, it's kind of a boring way to play.

ccbfan

Those ability changes are crazy. I hope this means reliance on Lifesiphon and Wrath goes away for building meter, it's kind of a boring way to play.

Depending on the SB points boost, its a huge boost for mages/clerics without ls/wraith.

Also it never made sense that high tier BSB commands were better than most 5* skills.

This should lead to less BSB usage and more UBS + skills usage.

Iscariot

Jesus this Sephiroth fight is stupid.

Assuming you have decent gear a radiant shield and double healer strat with Eiko's Ultra as RW is how I did it. Once you get past the final dispel it's pretty straight forward. His Ultimate Dispel doesn't remove the thorns effect, so he probably does more damage to himself than my team did. I had Cloud with a BSB2 and OSB in the mix for the last 40%.

And just a few months ago, people were like "how will they ever balance Cloud USB?!" There you have it folks, power creep - in the flesh

Pejo

So I haven't posted for a bit, but I just had an amazing Phase 4 roll the other day. Ever since his very first event in the game, I've been using Paladin Cecil, but have had really terrible luck pulling any of his SB's. I had enough Mythril for a single pull, so I stayed strong and kept it until phase 4.

Pulled, got 3/11 and got both his BSB and his Ultra. I can't even remember what the 3rd one was, because I was so happy.

This is the type of thing that helps you forget those shit rolls you get for most of the year, lol.

jnWake

Why does the raise to hitcount matter? If total damage is the same I don't see the relevance... Or is it because it helps avoiding reaching the damage cap?

friz898

Why does the raise to hitcount matter? If total damage is the same I don't see the relevance... Or is it because it helps avoiding reaching the damage cap?

ya, we don't have total numbers but like the summons that got boosted a while back...

it'll be something like if the normal damage on the mob would have been 8000-9999, then thhis 4 or 5 hit or something will be like

4 x 3000 give or take. It will be nice enough to be relevant but wont be like crazy damage. It also helps with chain soul breaks in the future. Or 5 x 2500.

Junahu

Rp4Zg81.png
r1yQ5gl.png
Oh whoops. I forgot to bring a magic break. I thought I gave it to sephiroth.
I had to resort to Galuf RW, but I could have probably managed without it if I just kept trying. I certainly had more than enough healing to cover a Radiant shield strategy at least.

friz898

Alright guys, I think this is my last try until Cloud USB. Or last try for a few days regardless since I have a move to do with the family, orbfest that I've been neglecting, and a ton to do tomorrow.

*By last try, I mean session of last tries.

I have tried so far:

-Debuff team -- Wakka BSB, Vaan BSB, OK Onion Slice/BSB.
-Buff Team -- Ramza USB, Lenna USB, Ok or Alphi Atk/Mag buff
-Wind Team -- Fang BSB, Alphi BSB, Zidane BSB
-Holy Team -- Pecil BSB, WoL OSB, Agrias OSB/BSB, Minfilia BSB
-Radiant Shield Team -- and variations of, he might be in my winning team, but Radiant is not enough by itself.
-All Mage Team with stacked Mage Buffs
-All Melee Team with VoF, Shout, Lenna USB, and Ramza USB all stacked.

Some teams get close, like Wind team.
Holy Team did great until when all the damage ran out before it was over.
Anything with Radiant Shield gets me to 40% but havent found a combination where I use Radiant Shield 2x (as RW) and use Alphi BSB 3 times, or use Alphi radiant Shield 3 times and RW Alphi BSB that works.

There is nothing I haven't cleared in this game at the moment, so I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Some things:

I've reached the point of looking on Gamefaqs and Reddit for strategies. They seem to be all over the place. Many have Sky High honed up and/or Luneth BSB. I hoped maybe having Fang BSB would do, but Fang's cmd 1 is pretty weak actually, and Luneth also has that synergy boost.

Some people said it's important to use OK as a mage, but I did see someone use him as support and physical that cleared it.

If I take only 1 true healer/bsb/medica then if i don't RW a healing usb or last stand, I don't make it to 40% point. If I do take 2 healers, I make it to 40% point but take a dmg output reduction. Ideally, I'd like to have 3 casts of Alphi BSB and RW Alphi BSB since no counter heals.

Having those debuffs and buffs make a huge difference on Zidane, Fang, and Alphi final 40% damage, but it's hard to get to that point with much left.

I have gotten to 15-30% with several different teams, and probably about 15 or so tries. I really think that I just need to keep experimenting with one person at a time.

evangd007

Beat Sephiroth in 1:02:19!

Vaan - BSB
Eiko - USB
Vanille - BSB
Orlandu - OSB
Ramza - Shout

RW - Mostly Megaflare

Strategy - stack debuffs using Mostly Megaflare's reverse wall as the cornerstone, use instant medicas to stay topped off, have Eiko and Ramza provide haste, and use Orlandu for pretty much all the damage.

Tried once with Ramza and Vaan front row with the best weapons I could find, but after I started letting rip with Thunder God I was hitting thresholds faster than I could keep up with my debuff stacks and heals, so I moved them back row with Edward's harp and Laguna's gun. This let me control thresholds more easily, and took a load off my healing as well.

Had to egg Eiko from 70 to do this. Definitely worth.

MrDaravon

I drunk crafted and then shattered Flare Strike ages ago, wish I hadn't now I guess lol. I never crafted Holy or any of the other stuff so no losses there.

Power creep something something. Definitely seems like a move towards making abilities matter again versus now getting BSB's up and running is mostly what matters. Not bad.

Ok mastered torment jump start with cmx3 team

Cloud osb/bsb2 hailstorm r2 omega r2
Luneth bsb tornado r3 sky high r1
Onion bsb full charge r3 curada r1
Vaan bsb steal power r3 mind breakdown r4 (only level 80, drew his bsb this rest)
Arc ssb ultra cure r4 shellga r3

Rw wall

Took quite a few attempts, key was to wait to use luneth and cloud sbs as long as possible.

Doesn't hurt that I have an 8* ssb sword in realm.

Completely caught up, zero missed awards despite two weeks in Italy and life otherwise intervening. About 4m exp from finishing noctis and two cores then all caught up there as well.

Balphon

Did the Torment JS CM with this team, borrowed mostly from a Reddit strategy:

S4VGuiYl.png

Worked well despite having nothing above the SSB level for FFIII. Helps that Alphinaud's BSB is uniquely well-suited to the fight.

Power creep something something. Definitely seems like a move towards making abilities matter again versus now getting BSB's up and running is mostly what matters. Not bad.

Yeah, the ability buffs seem mostly designed to make BSBs less optimal since normal abilities with as many or more hits than burst commands will scale better with USB EX modes/enelements/etc.

After about 2.5 hours of having to try different set-ups, I managed to beat Bahamut 300. I just BARELY pulled it off. I had multiple set ups that literally got me down to like 5% and a few times where I could barely even see the bar, but always ran out of steam. The thing that finally put me over the top was dropping full break for mind breakdown. Sure, it only cuts his healing off by about 1300 hp per heal, but when he does like 20+ heals, it actually adds up. That and use of Radiant shield helped me chip off that last 40%.

My final group was:
Luneth: BSB > Sky High r1 + Tornado Strike r3
Refia: BSB > Lifebane r1 + Omega Drive r1 (She's fully dived except for the last Legend materia slot)
Arc: Both SSB > Curaja r5 + Protectga r1
Tyro: Sentinel > Mind Breakdown r2 + Magic Breakdown r2
Zidane: BSB1 > Dash and Slash r2 + Mug Bloodlust r2

RW: Deployment Tactics

Strategy was to basically conserve 2 of Luneth's SB gauges until the cure phase and to use Refia and Zidane to push him to the 40% point. I tried using Alphinaud to apply Deployment Tactics instead of RW and leave Tyro at home in the hopes he'd add some additional damage, but the lack of magic breakdown was just wrecking me. I tried leaving Alphi in and no Tyro and putting in Sazh (my only support boostga outside of FF7 cid shout) as support instead of Zidane, but the damage just didn't even come close. Zidane and his wind imperil mixed with his defense steal made a big difference.

Since I didn't have a native hastega, I made sure and used everyone's BSB at the start after getting up buffs and used BSB commands to push Bahamut's hp down (radiant shield was a big help here, too). I had tried using Tyro's BSB but SG running out near the end of the fight kept wrecking my runs so he used SG exclusively. Arc started using Protectga and then Renewing rains for shell. I didn't have to reapply either buffs the rest of the fight and regen did a lot to keep me going. I didn't have to use his other 2 SB bars for the instant curaga until near the end. As for RW, I didn't use my second charge of Radiant shield until the 40% phase started.

My character actions from the curaja phase on:
Luneth: Second BSB charge (only about 4500 per hit) > BSB command 2 > Sky High x2 > BSB command 1 > Third BSB charge > command 2 > command 1 until the end.
Refia: Third BSB charge > BSB command 2 > Lifebane x2 > BSB command 1 > BSB command 2 (Burst mode wears off) > Omega Drive x2
Zidane: Third BSB charge > BSB Command 2 > BSB command 1 > Mug Bloodlust > Dash and Slash x4
Tyro: Dropped both mind and magic breakdown at 40% and SG and literally defended the rest of the fight (outside of one more reapplication of mind breakdown) so he wouldn't force more cures.

I finished the fight with almost literally nothing left. Like maybe 1 more BSB command for Luneth and 1 Tornado strike charge, nothing on Zidane and nothing left for Refia. It literally came down to the wire, but I pulled it off with mastery and all the CM motes. Seriously, don't underestimate the help of mind breakdown here. Sorry for the long type up, but this was the hardest fight I've had since beating Nemesis so it was nice to process the experience here.

MrDaravon

Got Larsa's SSB on my 100-gem pull; shame it's not his BSB, but I didn't have anything for him and having a native hastega is nice so not complaining. Not sure it'll get him any use since I have Penelo's USB though.

Syntsui

The Octaslash spam at the very end of the Sephirot fight is a little bit over the top, just a little.

Edit: Oh great, I mistimed the reset and now I lost that reward forever.

man, I was 1 second from saying these mp battles were simple and then much to my chagrin I see i get novice on the 160 battle b/c no breaks used. Vaan, wtf were you doing here dude, you were the party organizer even.

Balphon

man, I was 1 second from saying these mp battles were simple and then much to my chagrin I see i get novice on the 160 battle b/c no breaks used. Vaan, wtf were you doing here dude, you were the party organizer even.

Vaan's BSB doesn't break Attack or Res.

Unless he had Power/Mental Breakdown and/or Vaan's USB and sat on them for some reason.

Tidd

I know you should be happy if you pull a 6* out of a 100 gem pull but if it would happen to me tonight, I would be like "FUCK YOU GAME I WANTED THIS TOMORROW".

friz898

Guys.

Why doesn't Yuna have dancer ability? ��

Haha.

Well you know, you could give Celes Dancer 3 (worthless) or Dancer 4 (but did she really become a star in opera?)

as well.

Edit:

Suddenly I feel like I'm on a losing streak.

Can't get d300 still and I've actually had trouble with Ahriman. Don't worry, I don't want any tips on Ahriman, I'm ashamed to be having trouble with this fight. I actually put some thought into this build and worked in some holy and then he 1 shot 3 people lol. geez.

Edit2:

Ok got it the very next try. That maser-whatever would have one shot 4 of my guys if not for Last Stand. Geez. I guess I should have brought more than just MagicBreakdown since he pierces.

Edit3:

Got the CM on d180 Cid on second try. I'm stacked for that fight though. I don't think it was really hard, but I had great dmg output.

Vaan - Bladeblitz // Mental Breakdown - BSB
Penelo - Protectga // Curaja - BSB
Balthier - Fire Strike // Drain Strike - Fire BSB
Ashe - Dispel // Firaja - BSB
Fran - Full Break // Power Breakdown - Imperil Lightning SSB

RW: Penelo USB

Bladeblitz was stupid to bring, Ashe dispelled more than she cast fire. Also her BSB pairs well with Fran Imperil. Fran used a bow so she could be in back row.

I gave everybody dark resist, but I think I saw that move only once. Done over again, it would have been defense or +element. Penelo USB was good for this fight with the Phys Blink.

Edit4:

Beat d220 on first try. It actually was easier for me than the Ahriman fight. I would have got Mastery with the usual 3 medals for actions/damage taken, but he did an AE Darkra (that killed himself on radiant shield) as the final move and it killed 3 people. So I lost a medal on characters killed. Was pretty easy though, going to go back and get mastery after I adjust a few things.

Firion - Breakdowns // Mblink BSB
Relm - Last Stand BSB
Vaan - Breakdowns // BSB, plus Synergy
Tyro - Backup Heals // Mblink BSB
Edea - Ice BSB

RW: Deployment Tactics

Notes:

-Firion and Tyro trading magic blinks was a huge help.
-Firion and Vaan were doing 8-9k a hit with their support abilities with RM and Alphi Buff
-At first setup Alphi but decided Tyro's BSB was far more valuable so I RW'ed Alphi
-Speaking of which, radiant shield did a lot of damage.
-Edea had Sudden Freeze (good damage!) and Abyssal Shards (terrible)
-Edea BSB with Alphi Buff and CMD2 buff, would make CMD 1 hit 4 times for 5k each.
-Everybody had Moderate or Major Dark resist, the exception being Edea because she is still level 80 and had like 4300hps or something. I gave her a +700hps accessory.

Things to change on my 'getting-mastery' party is switch out Abyssal Shards for Chain Ice, and take off one of Tyro's heals for Multibreak (totally forgot). Everything else was smooth. Oh and I had Abyssal Shards at rank 2, I've hardly used it, but was happy to get a chance this time and ya... it's getting shattered.

friz898

Easiest bonus battles ever. In the JS my team didn't even get to use their third charges.

I -just- finished, and was going to post "wow, Jumpstart really easy after already doing the regular d220" but you know what, other than Edea (on purpose) I didn't use up the third charges on any of mine either. Edea I went Dark Imperil SSB followed by Ice/Dark BSB.

Also the raids were pretty easy. d160 seemed like d99, d220 was harder. Everybody had an overdose of holy, so I was going to bring Edge (phys Blink) and Tyro (mblink) for all the debuffs, but "support please" popped up so I switched to Vaan debuff bsb and osb, and Wakka BSB.

He really wasn't hitting hard at all, Wakka bsb, Vaan bsb, Fran bsb, and multi break and all breakdowns to include affliction break and mindbreakdown were stacked on him, plus we had prot/shell, wall, and asylum. It really was well an overdose of stat adjustments.

Jarekx

Gosh, Vaan went from 0 to 100 for me. Didn't beat 300 yet but brought him along on an attempt and he just wrecked house. Went BSB -> cmd1 -> -cmd2 -> USB -> then TR til I ran out of charges. Each TR was doing like 5.5 - 6k each hit w/o crits with Instant cast time so he was just tearing that dragon up. Got down to weakphase but didn't have the juice to keep pushing through his HP and heals.

Makes me consider blowing all my mythril on refreshes for this phase to try and get TR honed up to at least r4.

Edit: I also need to grind for Zidanes +thief damage RM. That'd boost his damage up a bit more, I think.

Top Bottom