• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The fight with Gafgarion at the wooden gibbet is fucking my shit up. I think I've made some mistakes job-speccing my team because I'm nowhere near my goals just yet and the game just got tough. I'll give it a few more goes but I'm concerned I might have dead ended myself.

PittaGAF

I just completed the game on iPhone 4 in about 43 hours.
It was simply AMAZING, one of the best RPG game I played in years, maybe the best (Ultima 7: The Black Gate was my all time favorite, followed by the Baldur's Gate saga).
And I was no fun of turn based combat or JRPG (this is my first FF, my first sRPG and one if the very few JRPG I played, I'm more a western PC RPG type).
Fortunately I had not to grind except maybe 2 or 3 fights (I usually reloaded in case of random encounters)...because I HATE grinding (probably the reason I played so few JRPGs)...it was really hard but never impossible with the exception of the ch.3 ending, which was a real nightmare for me (but I'm a total newbie in sRPGs).
Loved especially the story, hands down one if the best stories I ever saw in a videogame (I'm a huge fun of historic fantasy).
Completed even all the nice few side quests on chapter four (if the FAQ I just read is complete, it seems I found them all, including the various special characters) except I stopped playing a certain dungeon on level 5 (was too curious about the story).

Fortunately I did not have the problems many seem to have (always silk smooth and perfect controls)...being obsessed by the game I found the super fast AI and the convenience of being able to play in less than 1 second (including the time to pull my phone out of the pocket) superb.

Now...anything similar?
I mean....in term of story/pacing/incredible cutscenes (loved them).

Is Tactics Ogre similar?
Are there any story sequels?

Many thanks.

hsukardi

PittaGAF said:
It was simply AMAZING, one of the best RPG game I played in years, maybe the best (Ultima 7: The Black Gate was my all time favorite, followed by the Baldur's Gate saga).
And I was no fun of turn based combat or JRPG (this is my first FF, my first sRPG and one if the very few JRPG I played, I'm more a western PC RPG type).
Fortunately I had not to grind except maybe 2 or 3 fights (I usually reloaded in case of random encounters)...because I HATE grinding (probably the reason I played so few JRPGs)...it was really hard but never impossible with the exception of the ch.3 ending, which was a real nightmare for me (but I'm a total newbie in sRPGs).
Loved especially the story, hands down one if the best stories I ever saw in a videogame (I'm a huge fun of historic fantasy).
Completed even all the nice few side quests on chapter four (if the FAQ I just read is complete, it seems I found them all, including the various special characters) except I stopped playing a certain dungeon on level 5 (was too curious about the story).

Fortunately I did not have the problems many seem to have (always silk smooth and perfect controls)...being obsessed by the game I found the super fast AI and the convenience of being able to play in less than 1 second (including the time to pull my phone out of the pocket) superb.

Now...anything similar?

Is Tactics Ogre similar?

Many thanks.

Welcome to the best fucking tactical RPG... EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tactics Ogre is very similar, sometimes said to be even better by some fans. It's even heavier and thicker in terms of political intrigue than FFT. Grab it for PSP.

There are no story sequels but Final Fantasty Tactics Advance 1 & 2 for the GBA are very good in terms of gameplay. The story is rubbish for those games.

In terms of gameplay, similar games like it exist even now, like Disgaea. But not in the same tone or voice, much more casual and Japanese type of funny.

Tactics Ogre is your best bet.

PittaGAF

Thanks for the replies.
Seems Tactics Ogre is my best bet (even thicker political intrigue? I'm in!!!).
I saw some YouTube videos...seems similar in gameplay, but more classic fantasy and not on Ivalice...am I right?
I saw no sign of the amazing mini-movie cutscenes too...I hope I'm wrong, I really loved those in FFT, they really helped me to get totally absorbed into the story.

I do not have a PSP (might borrow or buy it) but I would love if Square Enix published it on the AppStore like they did for FFT.
Slightly OT: will the PS Vita run PSP games (TO in particular)? So I might opt for that instead.

I'll check Disgaea too.
Thanks!!!

laika09

PittaGAF said:
Thanks for the replies.
Seems Tactics Ogre is my best bet (even thicker political intrigue? I'm in!!!).
I saw some YouTube videos...seems similar in gameplay, but more classic fantasy and not on Ivalice...am I right?
I saw no sign of the amazing mini-movie cutscenes too...I hope I'm wrong, I really loved those in FFT, they really helped me to get totally absorbed into the story.

I do not have a PSP (might borrow or buy it) but I would love if Square Enix published it on the AppStore like they did for FFT.
Slightly OT: will the PS Vita run PSP games (TO in particular)? So I might opt for that instead.

I'll check Disgaea too.
Thanks!!!

The gameplay is very similar. There's some divergence in battle mechanics but it's essentially the same isometric grid turn-based strategy stuff. The best feature it has that FFT lacks, though, is the ability to 'rewind' and go back several (up to like 40?) turns and try different strategies without having to reset the game. Even though it's, I think, a harder game than FFT, the rewind feature makes it less frustrating. It's a great addition.

No FMV cutscenes, like you said, but the script is very engrossing and the in-engine cutscenes I found were very substantive and interesting. There's actually branching story paths and after you beat the game you can go through and explore all of them.

The Vita will run PSP games, but no UMD drive, so you'll have to download it through PSN if you go that route.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
PittaGAF said:

Now...anything similar?

Is Tactics Ogre similar?

Many thanks.
Did you go through the deep dungeon?

Do we have an answer yet as to how you get the items for the iPhone version that were multiplayer-only in the PSP version? Like all of the Dark Knight and Onion Knight equipment, for example.

Yusaku

On the evil Wiegraf battle. I beat the first part super easy the first two times, now I can't beat the bastard. I've tried being a Ninja with Concentrate, or a Knight with Dual Wielding. A counter and and one attack from him will kill me though. Gah!

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Yusaku said:
On the evil Wiegraf battle. I beat the first part super easy the first two times, now I can't beat the bastard. I've tried being a Ninja with Concentrate, or a Knight with Dual Wielding. A counter and and one attack from him will kill me though. Gah!

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a great way to beat him (not direct linking the image for people who don't want the fight spoiled):

http://i54.tinypic.com/mkxbar.jpg

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Skilletor said:
I wouldn't want an FFT sequel w/o Matsuno. I'll just finish my Tactics Ogre remake.

Oh, and FFTA2 is the truth. It's an amazing game that people lump in with FFTA and they shouldn't.
I don't get how people can differentiate that much from FFTA and FFTA2. Both games are incredibly similar and incredibly fun. FFTA2 benefits soley from the lack of a strict Law system I suppose, but that's about it.

Any chance this game is going to drop on price soon?

Yusaku said:
twas I who mentioned the strategy, just keep using yell while running away, have auto-potion on you with only x potions in your inventory. Keep doing it until you have like 8 turns in a row, then the fight and the one after it are a joke.

Although some CHUMPS like to think it's a cheap exploitation, I look at it as using the tools you have to create a good strategy in a Strategy Role Playing Game. FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL IT.

Yusaku said:
You won't need dual wielding or be a ninja. Ninjas have low HP so it's best to be something with a lot of HP and continuously buff up your speed and physical attack while running away. I'd advise to buff up speed first.

matt360

I'm loving this game! I'm about 30 hours in, doing a lot of grinding and errands, but so far it's not getting old. Maybe this is normal for veteran players, but I find myself obsessing over the jobs and sub-jobs. I go to the Character Menu literally after every battle to see if I have enough JP to buy some new abilities. And I've got a couple characters I really just don't know what to do with. My Ramza is a lvl 24 Monk/Squire and I've got two guys who are just about maxed out as Knights.

Also I'm still in chapter 2. About to go do that notorious battle 18 at the gallows.

Ryuukan

badcrumble said:
Do we have an answer yet as to how you get the items for the iPhone version that were multiplayer-only in the PSP version? Like all of the Dark Knight and Onion Knight equipment, for example.

All the multiplayer only items from the PSP version are at the poacher's den after you beat the game.

Yusaku

Yeah, I beat the Wiegraf battle. With dual wield I ended up killing Belias in one attack.

The second battle was actually where I got stuck on the original PS1 version. I didn't have any ninjas so I would literally die before it was even my turn once. Beat it no problem this time. :)

Nix

Banned
matt360 said:
I'm loving this game! I'm about 30 hours in, doing a lot of grinding and errands, but so far it's not getting old. Maybe this is normal for veteran players, but I find myself obsessing over the jobs and sub-jobs. I go to the Character Menu literally after every battle to see if I have enough JP to buy some new abilities. And I've got a couple characters I really just don't know what to do with. My Ramza is a lvl 24 Monk/Squire and I've got two guys who are just about maxed out as Knights.

Also I'm still in chapter 2. About to go do that notorious battle 18 at the gallows.

I don't know man; I gave up on Knights at around chapter 1. Although Fucking
Orlando is a beast
so he gets a free pass. I think the other classes offer more variety and flexibility, but that's just me.

The Knight class does seem to have its fair share of admirers, so I'll mosey on over there and shut my mouth. I found that while Dragoons were okay, they got kind of~end game, and for healing, my Bard with a white mage sub-set was just godly.

Mixing and matching seems to be the best option in FFT.

matt360

Nix said:
I don't know man; I gave up on Knights at around chapter 1. Although Fucking
Orlando is a beast
so he gets a free pass. I think the other classes offer more variety and flexibility, but that's just me.

The Knight class does seem to have its fair share of admirers, so I'll mosey on over there and shut my mouth. I found that while Dragoons were okay, they got kind of~end game, and for healing, my Bard with a white mage sub-set was just godly.

Mixing and matching seems to be the best option in FFT.

Yeah, I'd be happy to change my knights into something else. It feels like a waste having two mastered knights. I tried making one of them an archer for a while, but that job seemed REALLY weak. He was only hitting people for like 16HP while my other Knight was averaging 40 and my Ramza Monk was doing upwards of 80. I just made him a thief and I think I'm gonna eventually go the Ninja route with him. I've also got a super-powered (for where I'm at in the game) Black Mage who can pretty much take out anyone in one hit with his "aga" spells.

I'm still a noob to this game, though I did put a couple hundred hours into FFTA/FFTA2. I just love experimenting with the different job classes and sub-classes.

There seems to be a lot of chatter over on GameFAQs about the pros and cons of a Brawler Ninja or a Dual Wielding Monk. I think I might try those out next.

For all the noobs to the game, make sure that you check out all the sidequests and whatnot on gamefaqs or something, there is some really great shit to do on the side as the game goes on or in the late game. Great characters to find.

Also there's an endless amount of usable classes. I HIGHLY recommend making one a ninja and one a samurai, that is if you're taking suggestions. They are both excellent and fun classes. Samurai is BEAST.

Dresden

Samurai is decent, but the real joy is in getting Blade Grasp, raising Brave, and then equpping Blade Grasp and Draw Out on a black mage.

That said Auto Potion is by far the best reaction ability, as long as you can stock up on the X-Potions. It's cheap, it's accessible, and it's always good in every situation.

PittaGAF said:

Now...anything similar?

Is Tactics Ogre similar?

Many thanks.
This post makes me smile :) FFT is one of my favorite games ever, I am glad that someone playing so much time after it comes out can still enjoy it.

I really wish Square would put out universal apps, I can't really decide whether i want this on iPhone or iPad.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Finally learned Ultima tonight... The sad part is, it took me two attempts because the first time I did it, I didn't realize I got it. I watched a YouTube video which showed a popup message asking "do you want to learn Ultima?" Well, that message doesn't appear in WotL. It was only a fluke that I checked Ramza's abilities and there it was, no popup telling me I got it.

Also, I have to do the fight again. I wasn't prepared for the Marquis fight afterwards and want to get the Genji armor, so I have to go back and prep myself with anti-vampire gear. To the guy who beat the game, did you get Cloud and get the 4 hidden items at Nelveska Temple? There's a lot of challenging fights in the game if you're going for everything.

Eggo said:
Finally learned Ultima tonight... The sad part is, it took me two attempts because the first time I did it, I didn't realize I got it. I watched a YouTube video which showed a popup message asking "do you want to learn Ultima?" Well, that message doesn't appear in WotL. It was only a fluke that I checked Ramza's abilities and there it was, no popup telling me I got it.

Also, I have to do the fight again. I wasn't prepared for the Marquis fight afterwards and want to get the Genji armor, so I have to go back and prep myself with anti-vampire gear. To the guy who beat the game, did you get Cloud and get the 4 hidden items at Nelveska Temple? There's a lot of challenging fights in the game if you're going for everything.
In WOTL version you can't steal it btw.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Beat the game finally. This is the first time I beat FFT. Previously, I'd been up to Chapter 4 but stopped. This time I did a full clear of Midnight Deep getting all the items with the Treasure Hunter. Had 3 Arithmeticians and 2 Dark Knights, as well as 2 summoners with Zodiac. Ramza and Luso each had Ultima too. Total time played was 64 hours. Even though it crashed a shitload (on ipad2), I love this game.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
TommyT said:
This is probably my ~20th copy of the game. I still buy them off ebay from time to time.
No matter how many you buy, they're not going to love you back.

Grayman

Eggo said:
Beat the game finally. This is the first time I beat FFT. Previously, I'd been up to Chapter 4 but stopped. This time I did a full clear of Midnight Deep getting all the items with the Treasure Hunter. Had 3 Arithmeticians and 2 Dark Knights, as well as 2 summoners with Zodiac. Ramza and Luso each had Ultima too. Total time played was 64 hours. Even though it crashed a shitload (on ipad2), I love this game.
Dang good work. I haven't done the dark dungeon or gotten the dark knight job on the psp rerelease yet, or actually finished it. 2 games around 40-50 hours.

laika09

Is there any news on the iPad version? Last I heard it was scheduled for a month from the iPhone one, but I guess they won't hit that target.

Yusaku

Wow, after 69 hours I finally beat FFT: WOL on my iPhone 4.

I played the original on the PSone back in the day, but I got stuck after the Weigraf/Belias battle because I didn't have any ninjas and my entire team would get killed before I had one turn. Since this was a multi-part battle and I didn't have a backup save the game was effectively broke for me. I was very frustrated by that, and I'm amazed the WOL version doesn't automatically use a secondary save for multi-part battles to prevent that scenario from happening.

However I loved Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII, so I was always bummed I never got to fully enjoy FFT. So I was very stoked for the iPhone version.

Price: Quit your bitching. At 69 hours for $16 I can't complain. Way better then all the crappy $0.99 games I play for 20 minutes and then never touch again. It would be nice if the price matched the PSP version that's on PSN ($10 I believe), but what are you gonna do?

iPhone Port: Yes there is slowdown. Turn off the thing that highlights friends/enemies in battle and it's perfectly playable. I appreciate that Squeenix took the time to try add touch the controls for the iPhone version. I wasn't a fan of the camera controls however. Whenever I used my arithmetician skill it was a pain to try and see who was going to be affected by the spell. And it seemed some spell effects would cause the camera to reset to the default position (I liked to play with the camera tilted up and at 120% zoom).

The game lends it very well to being portable. Leveling up and tinkering with your team is more enjoyable when you're just trying to kill sometime, versus being plopped in front of your TV.

Translation: It seemed like every RPG on the PSOne in the mid-90s was about killing god. I found the original PSOne translation to be just as trite and overwrought as every other PSOne RPG that was out at the time. And that was just when the translation made sense, the rest of the time the original translation didn't make a lick of sense.

Yes the new translation is excessively flowery at times, but it's comprehensible, and fits the world very well. The game's story plays like a Shakespearean tragedy after all, except with a twist of the occult. After beating the game I'm very impressed with how original the story is. Without spoiling I like how the story is about preventing something, rather than dealing with the aftermath–which it seems like what most game stories are like.

Gameplay: Since i got hosed on the original PSOne version I was very careful to make sure my team was ready for any challenge. All of Matsuno's games seem to really require a deep understanding of how the game works to really enjoy it. The pacing of the game is really odd, the challenge peaks at the infamous Weigraf/Belias battle. After that the game was smooth sailing.

Once you get enough abilities and learn how to combine them in powerful ways (like a dual-weilding monk) the game becomes a cakewalk. Especially since most of the endgame battles are ones where you only need to beat a particular baddie, as opposed having to kill everyone. My badass alchemist could just use Flare or Holy to nuke the guy that needed killin'. Most of the final battles for me only lasted 2 or 3 turns.

Lastly the random battles seem really dry. There's no strategy involved, and they don't really prepare you for some of the trickier story battles. The random battles needed to be a little more smarter.

Overall: Anyone looking for a meatier gaming experience on your iPhone should buy this. The end.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well done man, and that's a good review. I got stuck at the Gafgarrion gallows fight so restarted now that I understand the way the game works properly. What's the best way to go through the job tree? Should I be grinding a lot to go through the jobs or should I just be playing through the main missions and upgrading as i go. I assume I need to be going for the Ninjas and Samurai for my physical characters?

Yusaku

Jedeye Sniv said:
Well done man, and that's a good review. I got stuck at the Gafgarrion gallows fight so restarted now that I understand the way the game works properly. What's the best way to go through the job tree? Should I be grinding a lot to go through the jobs or should I just be playing through the main missions and upgrading as i go. I assume I need to be going for the Ninjas and Samurai for my physical characters?

I focused on using the characters that I started with and just having them learn as much as possible. ALWAYS have Boost JP equipped whenever possible. In the end my Ramza was a Master Knight, Monk, and Ninja, and he was a level 7 Squire and Chemist.

Monks and Ninjas are where it's at as far as combat. Monks are definitely the best all around class, with good combat abilities (Shockwave and Aurablast) and healing abilities (Chakra, Revive, and Purification). Ninjas are great for their speed, but I would recommend equipping Brawler so they can punch like a Monk, or have them equip Concentrate so their hits don't miss. Samurai's didn't seem useful at all. I went to the trouble of learning Shirahadori because it's supposed to be a good react ability, but I wasn't impressed.

You want to have at least one mage that has a good mix of spells that you can eventually make into an arithmetician. If you learn the Back Mage ability Arcane Strength you can basically kill anything with one shot of Flare or Holy.

I went to the bother of having a maxed out Dancer AND Bard. They are a bit unpredictable in how useful they are in battle.

I didn't bother getting a Mimic. Or a Mime, or whatever they're called.

One thing I think helped quite a bit was I spent time optimizing my teams Bravery and Faith. The game does a TERRIBLE job of explaining the role the two stats have in battle, but they can have a big impact.

Bravery impacts the odds of a reaction ability of working and the amount of damage some attacks do. My Ramza had 97 Brave, so he pretty much ruined anything he touched. You always want a high bravery, EXCEPT for any character you want to use as a treasure hunter. You need to have a LOW bravery to find the best loot.

Faith affects how potent your magic is–and also how effective magic is against you. You want your mages to have a high faith so they can do big damage. But you want your frontline fighters to have low faith so they're not weak to enemy magic attacks. Although this also negatively impacts your ability to be healed or receive good status effects.

Jedeye Sniv said:
Pretty much.

Ninja and samurai abilities are staples for any physical character. I would go for Samurai first for blade grasp on Ramza since he'll be able to boost up his brave manually. 97% physical dodge rate is much better then 2 swords in the beginning in my opinion.

Dresden

Jedeye Sniv said:
Just remember to have Auto Potion available on Ramza.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks for the tips guys, these are all really useful. TBH I'd never even considered the Faith/Bravery stats, I'll need to keep them in mind as I progress. Building one of my mages up to Arithmatician even though I still don't fully understand how they work. Hopefully it'll come clearer when I get there! I'm just grinding some jobs out now before I go on with the story but now I have some actual goals in mind, so this has been really helpful.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
When is the iPad version supposed to come out and are people finding a $15 purchase justified?

Nothing yet on iPad, and the price is totally justified. I've spent ~20 hours on it so far and I've paid £50 on games that have taken me less time to beat. In that respect it's worth it. And it's a great game to boot.

I hope the iPad version precipitates a price cut on Final Fantasy III for iPad so I can snap them both up at the same time.

matt360

Can someone help me figure out why my Samurai sucks so much? They have innate double-hand, right? I've got a level 40 character who is a level 7 Samurai with the best equipment at the moment and he's only hitting for about 60HP with a normal attack and his Iaido attacks are hitting for even less. He's also got a 97 bravery, but I've been told that his Iaido attacks are based on his magic ability. Can anyone help me out here?

Edit: Nevermind, I gave him dual wielding and upgraded his katanas and he's hitting for about 200HP with each strike. He seems a lot better now. Any advice on a good sub-job for a Samurai?

Also, this game is awesome and totally worth the $15. I'm about 55 hours in and just started Chapter 4. I'll probably work on getting my other guest characters up to speed before finishing the game.

matt360 said:
Can someone help me figure out why my Samurai sucks so much? They have innate double-hand, right? I've got a level 40 character who is a level 7 Samurai with the best equipment at the moment and he's only hitting for about 60HP with a normal attack and his Iaido attacks are hitting for even less. He's also got a 97 bravery, but I've been told that his Iaido attacks are based on his magic ability. Can anyone help me out here?

Edit: Nevermind, I gave him dual wielding and upgraded his katanas and he's hitting for about 200HP with each strike. He seems a lot better now. Any advice on a good sub-job for a Samurai?

Also, this game is awesome and totally worth the $15. I'm about 55 hours in and just started Chapter 4. I'll probably work on getting my other guest characters up to speed before finishing the game.
Samurai's actually not a fantastic primary job to use - Iaido and Shirahadori are both awesome to equip on other classes, though.

An exception to this rule: Ramza's actually a pretty damn decent Samurai (because he's so well-balanced between magical and physical, and because he gets Scream eventually). Probably better used elsewhere, but he can make that class work surprisingly nicely.

Dresden

Samurais suck as primary classes. Not-so-great stats, but kickass abilities. You really want to grab whatever skills you want + Blade Grasp before switching out.

I have been playing it on the 3gs and FFT has some major slowdown, any suggestions? I am bummed about the way it is playing, especially when Square said they were working on making it run well on all platforms.

Kosh

Have you done this?

Jedeye Sniv said:
It's the other options :p Press 'Menu' on the map screen and go to Options there. While you're there turn off "Target Colors", "Battle Prompts" and turn "Touch Activated Menu Items" on. Much faster.

Top Bottom