• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

Fusebox

Banned
I can totally appreciate that, it's really starting to piss me off that they'd put so much effort into the port but not hit retina resolution, this game looks way softer than most of my other non-retina titles, probably because of all the text.

Disappointing first impressions...

edit - ugh, the bluriness only gets worse the more I play. Bring on the iPad version!!!!

FFT is one of my favorite games ever but I still upset that they took away the ability to steal rare gear from bosses in TWOTL. I think that they added other ways to get all of the rare gear to the game but it was still a hell of a lot more fun to steal it. It made the battle against
Gafgarion
especially hilarious.
If you steal his sword at the begining of the fight he can't use any of his dark knight skills so he spends the rest of the battle trying to run away from you - lovely

1203875049_MAVtL-O.jpg

One day, we'll be playing this in real time. Until then, FFT iOS with Whitney Houston on blast. Heaven.

Clunker

So it begins.

Downloading now! I took a quick peek, and it says like other SE games are also on sale, but I didn't see anything particularly marked down yet, though Chaos Rings is now $6.99.

EDIT: Oh, I'm seeing more now: FF1 and 2 are $4.99, and Chaos Rings is $6.99. I wonder if more is going on sale later, or the prices will shift in a few moments.

Edit 2: some quickie, five-minute impressions: On an iPhone 4, there's still some noticeable slowdown (even after a reboot). Not nearly as bad as the PSP version, but some of the abilities from Gafgarion and Agrias still lag a bit.

Everything feels very sped up overall -- not bad since it is a slow-paced game, but those who have played the original to death will feel things are kind of 15 percent faster. Everyone moving in place looks a little hasted, honestly -- can't wait to see the motoring when they're really hasted. :p I feel like the game is frame-skipping at times to keep things faster.

There's a menu option hidden in the battle options settings called "Touch-activated menu items" that's set to Off by default. If you turn it on, you can tap anywhere on the screen to click "OK" instead of having to go down to the actual button, which I find worlds better to use. I don't know why this isn't enabled as a default. Note for people new to the game: to get to this menu (where you can change text speed, disable all of those confirmation messages, etc.), when it's your turn, click Cancel until you remove any menus, then click "Menu" in the bottom left, then click the first menu option.

Wanace

Hmm not sure if I should get this or not, I want it for my PSPGo or when I eventually get an iPad, I think I'll pass on the iPod version for now especially with no retina support.

Eusis

Leona Lewis said:
[ IMG]http://jason-lomberg.smugmug.com/Other/Random/delita-amp-ramza/1203875049_MAVtL-O.jpg[ IMG]

One day, we'll be playing this in real time. Until then, FFT iOS with Whitney Houston on blast. Heaven.
Just use Valkyria Chronicles's engine with that art style and you'll be there.

Gaspode_T

Until the day iCloud game saves materializes isn't this the worst game possible to double dip on? I remember my friend putting like 150 hours into it back when it came out.

Eusis

CoffeeJanitor said:
Does Square ever put their games on sale?
They just did actually. Most of the iOS stuff seems to be at half off or at least a few dollars off, though I wouldn't hold out hope for anything reaching $1.

Ragus

Banned
You know what makes me mad?

I have brand new Ghost Recon on 3DS, Peegle and Infinity Blade on iP4 and YET I want FFT now despite the fact that I haven't even touched those games yet.

Forkball said:
Impressions? Is the text really that bad?

The text isn't as bad as people make it out to be. As long as you have decent vision then you'll be able to make everything out just fine and it's not going to bug you unless you're a stickler for that sort of thing. Having said that, it would be nice if this game had retina screen support especially given its' price point. Load times are almost non-existent, something is always happening on screen and there aren't any loading screens that I encountered so far. For anyone on the fence about this thing keep in mind that the visuals are very dated and that it takes a while to get to the real meat of the game even if you skip the tutorial. An ability to increase text scroll speed would be a welcome addition as well.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
johnFkennedy said:
The text isn't as bad as people make it out to be. As long as you have decent vision then you'll be able to make everything out just fine and it's not going to bug you unless you're a stickler for that sort of thing. Having said that, it would be nice if this game had retina screen support especially given its' price point. Load times are almost non-existent, something is always happening on screen and there aren't any loading screens that I encountered so far. For anyone on the fence about this thing keep in mind that the visuals are very dated and that it takes a while to get to the real meat of the game even if you skip the tutorial. An ability to increase text scroll speed would be a welcome addition as well.
Text scroll speed is an option in one of the menus.

Anyone else experiencing crashes? Playing on iPad and it crashed 3x within an hour. Gonna restart the system and see if that fixes it.

DGRE

Banned
People complaining about the iOS price are part of the problem. This is a full version of an expansive game that has seen a full price release on multiple consoles. Why isn't this game worth $16 on iDevices? Just because it's on iOS?

duckroll

Clunker said:
Edit 2: some quickie, five-minute impressions: On an iPhone 4, there's still some noticeable slowdown (even after a reboot). Not nearly as bad as the PSP version, but some of the abilities from Gafgarion and Agrias still lag a bit.

Lol. Even the mighty iPhone4 cannot match the amazing hardware power of the PS1! Har har har. This is just sad.

DGRE said:
People complaining about the iOS price are part of the problem. This is a full version of an expansive game that has seen a full price release on multiple consoles. Why isn't this game worth $16 on iDevices? Just because it's on iOS?

Why can't S-E port the game right?

Forkball

DGRE said:
It's a four year old port of a fourteen year old game with no buttons.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
MarshMellow96 said:
Might just buy it off US PSN. Comfy couch and all that..
Can this game be played on a PS3? I know FF6 was PSP only. Wouldn't mind triple dipping if I can get it on a big screen.

RomanticHeroX said:
War of the Lions can't be played on a PS3, but the superior PSOne version is already on the store. That's the one people should play.

Don't confuse me! I was set to buy the PSP version in retail tomorrow...

Largely pointless. A couple of new classes that take forever to unock/train up and a new cameo character. The new cutscenes are nice, but I personally prefer the old sprites instead. And, like I said, I really dislike the translation in WotL.

Rpgmonkey

Bit the bullet and bought it.

Pretty cool, only thing that's going to take some getting used to is picking a tile to move to or act on. Gonna have to mess around with the zoom settings to figure out which gives me a good level of precision with as much of the field visible as possible.

RomanticHeroX said:
Largely pointless. A couple of new classes that take forever to unock/train up and a new cameo character. The new cutscenes are nice, but I personally prefer the old sprites instead. And, like I said, I really dislike the translation in WotL.

Ugh, I was hoping you were trolling this whole time...

hmmm

I have decent vision, but the text really is a bit too small. Not annoyingly small, but not far from there either. Other than that, it's great imho.

Really not getting on with this on an iPhone 4. Controls are awkward and it feels like the game is constantly slowing down when anything happens, even just a standard attack.
I think it might be better on an iPad, but really it just needs a d pad and a couple of buttons.

Mikeside

I recently started playing this on my PSP and for some reason I just couldn't enjoy it - I think being slightly frustrated with controlling the camera was hindering my enjoyment somewhat, but I'm not really sure - so I've turned to Tactics Ogre which seems to be vastly more enjoyable.

On topic: What's it like to control in the ios version? Anyone playing on iTouch g4?

bomb_jack

Controls are awkward as hell. Menus are a nightmare to navigate unless you've got dainty hands. Still a bit of slowdown on an iPhone 4 with no other apps running. No ability to skip cut-scenes.

Son I am disappoint.

ampere

Hm $16 seems like a lot for something with polarizing controls

I tried Monkey Island on my iPhone and I just couldn't handle playing without buttons. The only games I've enjoyed with the touch controls are Popcap games (duh)

DGRE said:

Why is complaining "part of the problem"? It's an old game that's been retread on several platforms. The game should be $5, not $16.

Rpgmonkey

bomb_jack said:
Controls are awkward as hell. Menus are a nightmare to navigate unless you've got dainty hands. Still a bit of slowdown on an iPhone 4 with no other apps running. No ability to skip cut-scenes.

Son I am disappoint.

What's wrong with the menus? You can scroll through really smoothly by sliding your finger up or down, and with the option enabled you can just tap on the screen to select something. Of all things about the game, interacting with the menus is one of the things I think they did pretty well when bringing it to iOS.

Moving the tile cursor is still awkward however. I've settled on holding my finger on the screen to slide the cursor around, seems to be adequate at removing the time needed to rotate the camera and stuff.

I've found the slowdown odd. During actual spells with effects and stuff it's nothing particularly annoying, but for some reason when you're about to confirm an action the game lags to a crawl for a second or two. Not sure what's up with that as I figured there's nothing particularly hardware intensive about yellow squares and a "are you sure?" menu popping up. :p

Despite this I'm kind of getting into it. Forgot how long battles in SRPGs can be though, it really tries my patience.

Clunker

RomanticHeroX said:
No slowdown, no stretched out sprites, and less obnoxious translation. PSOne version is absolutely the way to go.
The slowdown I can agree with, but the shoddy original translation? Yuck. I see some people (here and elsewhere) saying the new script is just purple prose, and YMMV and all, but I think it's more that gamers just aren't used to having text written above an eighth-grade reading level. Plus the new cutscenes are gorgeous, and they replace a number of the longer in-engine conversations.

I'm fining the controls really good with this iPhone version -- I still don't know why they turned the tap-menu option off by default, but enabling that lets you generally tap anywhere for "OK," making dialogue and general menu driving a lot better.

The performance is definitely the sticking point, however; there's still lag (though not nearly as bad as the PSP one), but like said above, sometimes there are just random hitches here and there, even when there's not much happening. The framerate is way uneven. Still, it's a fantastic game, and so far I'm liking it more than the PSP one because of the controls and just having it on my iPhone with me constantly. Load times are virtually nonexistent, btw.

Minsc

Gold Member
Controls are a little better when you turn on "Touch Activated Menu Items" (lets you tap anywhere to select instead of forcing you to hit OK all the time) from the options and disable Battle Prompts (greatly reduces annoying prompts).

Framerate is a shame, hopefully it runs perfect on the iPad 2 or iPhone 5. The good thing is it loads really fast, has multi-tasking support so you can hop in and out of the game with no delay.

Also nice little tip: when moving your people to another square, if you tap & hold it brings up a highlighted square showing where they will go before you commit to picking it, so you don't have to wildly guess and watch them walk to the wrong square only to hit cancel and try again (you can continuing holding down on the screen and move you finger to move the selected square box). Disabling the move button is interesting too, that brings back the target square box, which you can pick up by tapping and holding, and move the screen, but it seems to be a little trickier than just leaving the button on, haven't tried it too much.

duckroll

Clunker said:
The slowdown I can agree with, but the shoddy original translation? Yuck. I see some people (here and elsewhere) saying the new script is just purple prose, and YMMV and all, but I think it's more that gamers just aren't used to having text written above an eighth-grade reading level. Plus the new cutscenes are gorgeous, and they replace a number of the longer in-engine conversations.

I prefer a lot of the lines in the original translation. The issue isn't about what level the text is. More flowery writing is not automatically better writing. Context and characterization is equally important. Yes, the original FFT script was poorly edited, and there are some pretty horrible translation/editing errors in the text in the forms of typos, incorrect character references, and bad English. I don't think anyone will defend that the original was some awesome translation effort that should never be touched.

But that doesn't automatically make the new translation flawless just because it's better written in most places, and has better editing so it doesn't have blatant errors in it. The PSP translation has its own set of problems. The text really tries too hard in general, and it gets pretty annoying to read when every character sounds like they just walked off some amateur theater stage rehearsing King Richard III.

Something has clearly gone wrong when you go from a line like "Blame yourself or god." which works perfectly well and fits Delita's character and upbringing, into something like "Tis your birth and faith that wronged you, not I." which is just pointless showmanship at this point. It is pretty implausible that someone like Delita would actually say something like that, and it's more implausible that someone who is running away from the scene of a crime would take the time to compose and utter something so extravagant when the actual point of the sentence is to come across as crass and blunt.

Mik2121

Uhm... $15 for a title that's mighty old? The menus apparently aren't the best, it has slowdowns on a software more powerful than the PS1 even though they've spent what seemed to be... forever, to develop this having pretty much the whole game ready to just do a port.

And they don't even release the iPad version yet and they will surely charge us more for the same thing as the iOS, just simply working on the iPad.

Yep, this sounds like Square Enix to me.

Top Bottom