• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus for PS2 announced!!!

Razoric said:
Wtf, I don't want this action crap with Vincent. Square is going down the shitter. Just release FF12 please.

Yeah, companies should never try to extend beyond what they've ever done. [face_rolleyes]

I recognize that Bouncer and their racing game weren't all that great, but they really, really need to diversify for the businesses sake. They are simply too dependant on the RPG genre and it seriously limits their growth potential. Gamers pretty much just buy the FF & DW games ignoring quality RPG's like Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Musashi, Parasite Eve,etc. Those games received critical acclaim, but not the sales to really make them successful.

Given that situation, it's no surprise to me that they're going back to the FF well to try and get a "popular" character and venture forth outside the RPG arena. You're seeing the same thing across the industry. Everybody's had trouble establishing new franchises, so you have to start leveraging your existing stuff.

Sad, but it's reality.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Remove Parasite Eve from that list please... Parasite Eve got a sequel... the sequel sucked according to most reviewers and game players. Interestingly enough the sequel actually has a better overall rating at gamerankings.com, also didn't Square recently announce a Musashi sequel?

DarienA said:
Remove Parasite Eve from that list please... Parasite Eve got a sequel... the sequel sucked according to most reviewers and game players.

I'm not saying anything about sequels (Parasite got one, Musashi's getting one, and Chrono Cross was one). The unfortunate truth, though, is that they didn't sell all that well. Certainly not to the point of being a bankable franshise like FF & DW.

jett

D-Member
Bleh. People actually gave a shit about Vincent? I'd rather have full-blown remake, and not this gaiden crap.

DarienA

sonycowboy said:
I'm not saying anything about sequels (Parasite got one, Musashi's getting one, and Chrono Cross was one). The unfortunate truth, though, is that they didn't sell all that well. Certainly not to the point of being a bankable franshise like FF & DW.

Of the 3 you mentioned Parasite II and Cross are generally hated on big time... so it's no surprise there.

DarienA said:
Of the 3 you mentioned Parasite II and Cross are generally hated on big time... so it's no surprise there.

I also mentioned Vagrant story :) . Probably the single greatest RPG from last generation.

Overheard at a recent Square board meeting

President: Our market research shows that Final Fantasy VII is pretty popular with the forum kiddies ... soooo, we should probably follow that one up. Suggestions?
Johnson: Final Fantasy X-2's sales show an RPG might be popular with fans of the original.
President: JOHNSON, YOU'RE FIRED! Now, does anyone have any SERIOUS suggestions?
Lackey #1: We could make an obtruse cell phone game with laggy animation, unclear design goals, and little-to-no online element?
President: Good, good! Any more?
Lackey #2: We could make an expensive direct-to-DVD movie with absolutely no idea how we plan to recoup our massive development costs?
President: Ooh, I like the sound of that one.
Johnson: But what the fans really want is an RP--
President: STILL FIRED, JOHNSON!
Lackey #3: What about an action game starring a cool, bishounen hero who runs around gothic environments and dispatches his enemies in stylish and graphically elaborate ways? A game like that really stands a chance of differentiating itself on the crowded PS2 platform.
President: Super! Okay, that's a wrap. Next up... ah. It says here that we, uh, hmm. We, uh ... need an RPG.
Unseen Man: Why don't we remake Romancing SaGa 1?
President: ...
President: ...one day, I'll get those photos of my wife from you, Kawazu, and that will be the day you're fired.
Kawazu: So... team of 40 okay?
President: Whatever, just stay out of my sight for the next nine months.

AND SO IT MOTE BE

Tritroid said:
milk.jpg

wait a minute..... horses dont give milk! HORSEs DONT GIVE MILK!!!!

Die Squirrel Die said:
While it looks interesting I wish Square would spinoff other FFs as well.

I mean if the Gunblade isn't just made or an action game, then I don't know what is.

Parasite Eve 2 (which I rather liked) let you unlock a Gunblade to use in its more action oriented battles. I would love to see spin-offs of Final Fantasy IV, VI, and VIII, but I can't see them returning to anything before VII, so VIII is the only one I would ever expect.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
wait, so this is going to be an action game like DMC or something?? If that's the case, I might actually be interested...

JackFrost2012 said:
President: ...one day, I'll get those photos of my wife from you, Kawazu, and that will be the day you're fired.

AND SO IT MOTE BE

LMAO Not a big Kawazu fan either, huh?

Razoric

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Yeah, companies should never try to extend beyond what they've ever done. [face_rolleyes]

I recognize that Bouncer and their racing game weren't all that great, but they really, really need to diversify for the businesses sake. They are simply too dependant on the RPG genre and it seriously limits their growth potential. Gamers pretty much just buy the FF & DW games ignoring quality RPG's like Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Musashi, Parasite Eve,etc. Those games received critical acclaim, but not the sales to really make them successful.

Given that situation, it's no surprise to me that they're going back to the FF well to try and get a "popular" character and venture forth outside the RPG arena. You're seeing the same thing across the industry. Everybody's had trouble establishing new franchises, so you have to start leveraging your existing stuff.

Sad, but it's reality.

That's all well and good, but fans WANT a true RPG sequel and/or remake to Final Fantasy 7. What does square do instead? Make a pocket phone game, another MOVIE (rolleyes to the extreme), and an action game. All 3 combined will not have the impact that a true, hardcore balls to the wall full length Final fantasy 7-2 would have.

Sounds like bad business to me... sounds like Square is running a fan favorite game into the ground with a bunch of half-assed products.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I hope it's another movie like Advent Children, except it uses in-game graphics to save money and time

doncale

Banned

President: Our market research shows that Final Fantasy VII is pretty popular with the forum kiddies ... soooo, we should probably follow that one up. Suggestions?
Johnson: Final Fantasy X-2's sales show an RPG might be popular with fans of the original.
President: JOHNSON, YOU'RE FIRED! Now, does anyone have any SERIOUS suggestions?
Lackey #1: We could make an obtruse cell phone game with laggy animation, unclear design goals, and little-to-no online element?
Lackey #2: We could make an expensive direct-to-DVD movie with absolutely no idea how we plan to recoup our massive development costs?
Lackey #3: What about an action game starring a cool, bishounen hero who runs around gothic environments and dispatches his enemies in stylish and graphically elaborate ways? A game like that really stands a chance of differentiating itself on the crowded PS2 platform.
President: Super! Okay, that's a wrap. Next up... ah. It says here that we, uh, hmm. We, uh ... need an RPG.

:lol :lol :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
My wish has been fulfilled! (I made a thread expressing my desire for this back on old-GAF)
Now Squenix, I demand a Saga 2 remake and how about something Valkyrie Profile while you're at it.

Hey Soul4ger, check thine PMs!

Grey Fox

SolidSnakex said:
There doesn't seem to be much of a demand to spinoff any other FF. With FF7, they can basically do a game spinoff for every main character in the game since they're all pretty damn popular. That might be what they're doing now.

Oooh,I can't wait for the Cait Sith spin off!!!

Tabris

The game probabaly takes place during the movie and both have minor tie-in's with each other. Like Enter the Matrix/Matrix Reloaded (never played it though), but hopefully better!

It's definitely not from before, cause Midgar is ruined.

Oh, and for the record, I still hate how they ruined the ending to FFVII by releasing these.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Tabris said:
Oh, and for the record, I still hate how they ruined the ending to FFVII by releasing these.

I'm pretty sure we had a thread about this, where many of us proved you wrong, or at least somewhat delusional.

Tabris

RevenantKioku said:
I'm pretty sure we had a thread about this, where many of us proved you wrong, or at least somewhat delusional.

There is no being wrong until we see the movie :p

RevenantKioku

Tabris said:
There is no being wrong until we see the movie :p

You just gotta be a little more open minded, that's all. :D

DarienA said:
I'm curious what was the thread/discussion about?
You sound like a lost puppy in this thread.
I found Vincent's back-story very interesting, so I hope this delves into a bit more of the mystery and so on. Even though most of the questions were answered, I just kinda felt it was a little loose. Granted I'm likely being set up for disappointment, haha.

JackFrost2012 said:

AND SO IT MOTE BE

:lol

BlackMage

Banned
why can't we get a game about FFVII's CID!?! Who doesn't like that foul-mouthed, angry, mechanical genious? PLUS HE SMOKES!!!

Celicar said:
I'm completely lost. I thought I beat the game too. It's the one with the spikey haired kid, right? Cloud?

yeah it was a tough to get him on your side (big sidequest). I didn't really use him becuase my other characters were really strong by the time I got him in disc 3 or 4.

SolidSnakex said:
There doesn't seem to be much of a demand to spinoff any other FF. With FF7, they can basically do a game spinoff for every main character in the game since they're all pretty damn popular. That might be what they're doing now.

Of course, but it is silly to say there's no demand for anything else. God I can only imagine how many people are asking for some FF6 stuff. FF7 is getting the attention which is understandable as it is the most popular and will make them all the cash, but Japan still splooges over FFs and many people are tied to other FFs. So meh, don't just give your one big one the attention I guess.

Not saying they should give them all something, but I'd rather see a game that includes them ALL rather than a whoring of one or two games. But of course, this is about money, and where are they going to get most of it from? :p

JackFrost2012 said:

AND SO IT MOTE BE

Chittagong

Gold Member
JackFrost2012 said:

AND SO IT MOTE BE

belgurdo

Banned
AniHawk said:
A Vincent game, eh?

Meh.

I wants me a true sequel or a remake. Not a damn spinoff.

Maybe I was wrong about people being satisfied with all of this VII stuff; people will just complain until they get FFVII in a new box with an extra character or two added

doncale

Banned
sorry if already posted:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/548/548211p1.html?fromint=1

The latest issue of Japan's Jump Magazine contains first information on an action game starring FFVII vampire character Vincent Valentine. The game, Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus.

In Dirge of Cerberus, players take control of Vincent, a former member of the Turks. The game takes place a year following Advent Children, which means it follows the events of the PlayStation Final Fantasy VII. The story begins as a mysterious group called "DG" suddenly begins attack of a peaceful town, leaving only one choice for Vincent -- to fight back!

Aside from these few bits, Square Enix has revealed nothing on Dirge of Cerberus. The few screens shown of the game all appear to be from cinema sequences, with one screen showing a line of dialogue where Vincent states "The meeting place with Reeve is..." Looking strictly at the game's artwork, one may think Square Enix has taken some influence from Capcom's Devil May Cry; Dirge of Cerberus should appropriately be a vampire game, making this a reasonable choice.

A Japanese release for Dirge of Cerberus is set for 2005. It's possible that this game will make it into Square Enix's Tokyo Game Show press conference, scheduled for 9/24. We'll be back with more at that time.

AeroGod

SolidSnakex said:

Cait Sith's and Yuffie's Magical Adventure: Now you HAVE to use them bitches.

belgurdo

Banned
AeroGod said:
Cait Sith's and Yuffie's Magical Adventure: Now you HAVE to use them bitches.

You mean you never used her in the game? Having access to both her final weapon and a cheap way to max out the stats of your characters 10 hours in is nothing to ignore

An RPG sequel or remake of FFVII would be extremely dumb, I can't believe anyone claims to want that. I don't like the spinoff stuff they're doing either, I think they should just leave old games alone, but it's not as bad as a sequel or remake would be, at least this way they're doing something a little different.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think "dirge of cerberus" beats out "aria of sorrow" for stupidest and most goth subtitle ever. DIRGE OF CERBERUS. at least "aria of sorrow" sort of made sense. and what does cerberus need a dirge for anyway? he's a dog. and he isn't dead. and i don't think it'd be his style. do square know what a dirge is?

bet this game ends up sucking.

DarienA

drohne said:
i think "dirge of cerberus" beats out "aria of sorrow" for stupidest and most goth subtitle ever. DIRGE OF CERBERUS. at least "aria of sorrow" sort of made sense. and what does cerberus need a dirge for anyway? he's a dog. and he isn't dead. and i don't think it'd be his style. do square know what a dirge is?

bet this game ends up sucking.

1. Music.
a. A funeral hymn or lament.
b. A slow, mournful musical composition.
2. A mournful or elegiac poem or other literary work.
3. Roman Catholic Church. The Office of the Dead.

Hmmmm Office of the Dead could somehow tie in to cerebeus as he guards the entranceway(IIRC).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
but the last time someone played him a song he went right to sleep! i maintain that cerberus has no use for a dirge.

Top Bottom