• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Cybrwzrd

Banned
But now my sense of taste has evolved to the point that IPA now tastes like piss, while Bud Light's taste becomes better and better with each new brew.

Maybe it's the IPA guys who are victims of nostalgia, not the guys who prefer bud light over IPA after tasting both.

The haters are mostly a bunch of trolls, the other small majority has such an individualistic mindset, it is all about what I wanted, me me me and if I hate it, and pissed off about it then it is "fanfiction", or "Nomura is a hack...", and so forth.

I still think FFX is my favorite FF, but this game is easily top 3. I loved every second of it and still working to get my platinum.

Both of these statements remind me of The Last Jedi stans.

Anyways, the storyline changes were enough for me not to buy the game. I am glad you enjoy it, but we live in a world where I don't have to like what they did or support Square for doing it.

Moogle11

Banned
Don't care what the haters say
This is straight up the best FF game, no
The best Square Enix game I've played in the last 20 years.
This is a Squaresoft game.

Agreed. I stopped caring what reviewers or forum posters or friends etc. thought about games, movies etc. years ago. End of the day it's just entertainment and/or art and it's all subjective and all that matters is whether and how much I enjoy something. Others are perfectly valid in hating it or not even wanting to play it after reading about the changes. Why should I care what others like or don't like? It's entertainment. All opinions are valid and I have zero reason to be emotional invested in the opinions of others. If people are coming across as trolling and detracting from an OT for me I'll just throw them on ignore if it's getting too repetitive. Same with anyone loving it and going crazy fanboy with it and attacking people who are reasonably expressing negative takes. There's no point in heatedly arguing about opinions on fucking videogames, at at least I have no patience for it in my 40s.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm having an absolute blast with this. It will probably end up my favorite Final Fantasy game as I love the combat where as I always hated turn based or gambit systems and just suffered through them for the story and characters. I never played any of the FF13 games and FF15 the combat was ok but the story was a disjointed mess (loved the interactions between the bros though. For full context, I beat FF1, FF6 (3 on SNES), FF7, FF10 and FF15, played but never finished FF2, FF8 and FF12.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Both of these statements remind me of The Last Jedi stans.

Anyways, the storyline changes were enough for me not to buy the game. I am glad you enjoy it, but we live in a world where I don't have to like what they did or support Square for doing it.
Yeah, except that this game is actually really good. It lives up to it's highpraise, unlike the last jedi

Javthusiast

Banned
The haters are mostly a bunch of trolls, the other small majority has such an individualistic mindset, it is all about what I wanted, me me me and if I hate it, and pissed off about it then it is "fanfiction", or "Nomura is a hack...", and so forth.

I still think FFX is my favorite FF, but this game is easily top 3. I loved every second of it and still working to get my platinum.

Sorry to break it to you, but Nomura is a total writing hack. As well as all the other writers in charge of FF7 Remake. They haven't done anything good in the last decade. Which means the more they change going forward, the more they will have to rely on their new hack writing which could be a disaster. Nobody knows for sure yet, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Yeah, except that this game is actually really good. It lives up to it's highpraise, unlike the last jedi

It might be really good. Unless the final combat is significantly better than the demo, I can tell it isn't for me. I would have suffered through the combat were the story not changed though.

protonion

Done with Wall Market. That was epic!

One thing I like is how the game finds ways to acknowledge that you completed all side quests. Good work there! Also side content is very short. Less than an hour per area. Sometimes I don't understand what some people complain about...

The combat is getting better and better the more you understand how to play properly. That wall market boss felt frustrating and impossible until I used the appropriate strategies.
The most fun fight so far and didnt even went into low HP.

In the end I do not miss turn based at all. Even the most well made turned based systems ( persona 5) end up being mind numbingly boring. At one point you just go through the motions.

Square is on the right track with this.
The nailed everything.

Moogle11

Banned
In the end I do not miss turn based at all. Even the most well made turned based systems ( persona 5) end up being mind numbingly boring. At one point you just go through the motions.

Same. I bounced off of P5 around half way through, quit Octopath Traveler after 30ish hours, quit Xenoblade Chronicles after 25ish hours, dumped DQ11s in the third act, am struggling to finish Pokemon Sword etc. I didn't mind turn based stuff when I was younger, but it was really just because those were nearly the only games with good stories and character development. Now there are so many story-driven games with combat and gameplay I like it's hard to stomach turn based stuff.

TTOOLL

How do you guys split materia among the characters? Do you focus offensive materia in one and defensive in others? Or you mix it?

Silvawuff

]

Trolls are losing it /shrug. True FF fans like myself that have played all the games don't mind the changes and embrace it. Being surprised is one of the best things about being an RPG gamer.

This right here. Fans root for the team they love and embrace whatever outcome happens, good or bad, warts and all.

This game is incredible. Also it's Nomura; is anyone surprised about the ending getting tossed up a bit? (Not there yet so maybe I should reserve comment about this, lol.)

Sorry to break it to you, but Nomura is a total writing hack. As well as all the other writers in charge of FF7 Remake. They haven't done anything good in the last decade. Which means the more they change going forward, the more they will have to rely on their new hack writing which could be a disaster. Nobody knows for sure yet, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Continue to think that, alright bud. /thumbs up.

This right here. Fans root for the team they love and embrace whatever outcome happens, good or bad, warts and all.

This game is incredible. Also it's Nomura; is anyone surprised about the ending getting tossed up a bit? (Not there yet so maybe I should reserve comment about this, lol.)

It truly isn't bad at all, but it has some whining individuals panties in a twist. Literally he is adding a twist to the story, so that twist is affecting their twist, lol. No one expected a perfect 1 to 1 remake and of they did, then then clearly are not smart because Nomura basically said they wouldn't be doing that.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Lethal01

Totally disagree, I'm not a square fan. I'm a good game fan. I root for good games like this to do well but if it were trash I'd want nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
How do you guys split materia among the characters? Do you focus offensive materia in one and defensive in others? Or you mix it?
I have Healing for all and Revival for at least 2.
3/4 done with the game and haven't used attack magic, for some reason. I do everything with abilities, so I try to put Materia to complement each character's strengths.

For example:
Tifa - Deadly Dodge and Refocus
Cloud - Deadly Dodge, First Strike and Assess
Barret - HP Up, Steadfast Block and Provoke

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’ve heard people were pissed about the ending changes. I didn’t get that far yet now I’m scared lol. I hope it isn’t a total game changer that changes the entire story. Like
Aerith living
or something. That would ruin the game for me.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I have Healing for all and Revival for at least 2.
3/4 done with the game and haven't used attack magic, for some reason. I do everything with abilities, so I try to put Materia to complement each character's strengths.

For example:
Tifa - Deadly Dodge and Refocus
Cloud - Deadly Dodge, First Strike and Assess
Barret - HP Up, Steadfast Block and Provoke

Yeah no idea on materia either. It seemed easier to put a build together in the old game, unless nothing has changed aside from me now being an old fuck.

Like, I beat the Hell House yesterday on Normal with no one really coming close to dying and I only had a couple types of magic spells equipped. No idea how I pulled it off.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've been a little worried about spoilers ever since starting it, so I kinda ignored the thread. Been wanting to talk about it though. I'm on Chapter 13 atm.

What irks me a bit:

1. So linear. Straight shot, one way into the tunnel -type of linear gameplay. Its great, but its like none of us are having a real unique experience. We're all basically doing the same type of things, no J or U walking to get there. Literally the same mark on every corner.
2. No real grinding. Honestly, I basically get down a bunch of tactics and its working out on the majority of boss fights. The boss fights are awesome, but I haven't had to backtrack to level. There doesn't appear to be back tracking to do anything. I saw a few monsters respawn, but that wasn't doing anything to my exp gain.

What's amazing:

1. Everything else.
2. The music is awesome.
3. I love the characters here. Jessie is awesome (she would be my Aerith had this whole thing played out differently). Tifa and Aerith are amazing. I can't get over how much better the original game feels now that I've gotten to understand the characters a lot more. Reading their text and watching them move around on the PS1 was cool. This made me feel close to the cast.

The Hell House gave me the most problems. It wasn't that it was hard, but it was because it took a lot more time than other boss. Its been pretty straightforward. I haven't been wiped except Hell House because I wasn't managing everything properly. Its basically been all about weaknesses, having items to quick heal large amounts of HP, and keeping ethers available. Reno & Rude was a fun fight. Once one party member was targeted by their attacks, I switched it over an assisting character, rinse and repeat.

TTOOLL

So, 14 hours in and I just finished all the quests on chapter 8, I guess it's time for chapter 9? I can't see anything else happening here. The game is brilliant, but it works better in small doses like 2 hours straight at most.

How many chapters in total?

On Chapter 17, I have three words.

WHAT THE FUCK.

You can guess whether that is a good wtf or a bad one.

Is your wife crying yet?

GAF’s old pal Yoshichan has short circuited total

v75QVnz.png

Jesus what a fucking toss lol

Last edited:

Lethal01

I've been a little worried about spoilers ever since starting it, so I kinda ignored the thread. Been wanting to talk about it though. I'm on Chapter 13 atm.

What irks me a bit:

1. So linear. Straight shot, one way into the tunnel -type of linear gameplay. Its great, but its like none of us are having a real unique experience. We're all basically doing the same type of things, no J or U walking to get there. Literally the same mark on every corner.
2. No real grinding. Honestly, I basically get down a bunch of tactics and its working out on the majority of boss fights. The boss fights are awesome, but I haven't had to backtrack to level. There doesn't appear to be back tracking to do anything. I saw a few monsters respawn, but that wasn't doing anything to my exp gain.

What's amazing:

1. Everything else.
2. The music is awesome.
3. I love the characters here. Jessie is awesome (she would be my Aerith had this whole thing played out differently). Tifa and Aerith are amazing. I can't get over how much better the original game feels now that I've gotten to understand the characters a lot more. Reading their text and watching them move around on the PS1 was cool. This made me feel close to the cast.

The Hell House gave me the most problems. It wasn't that it was hard, but it was because it took a lot more time than other boss. Its been pretty straightforward. I haven't been wiped except Hell House because I wasn't managing everything properly. Its basically been all about weaknesses, having items to quick heal large amounts of HP, and keeping ethers available. Reno & Rude was a fun fight. Once one party member was targeted by their attacks, I switched it over an assisting character, rinse and repeat.

Always hated grinding, No interest in spamming attack to boost some numbers.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You aren't given areas with level groups of enemies. You can't go to this zone because enemies are in their 30-35 range or the next zone up is 60-70 enemies. I'm not using tents to grind out a particular item nor am I traveling long distances. Its a very good boss battle game and it has enjoyable dialogue between all the characters (minus the corny attitudes). Its a very comfortable Final Fantasy IMO. If you're use to Final Fantasy then its probably a walk in the park once you start figuring out the basics.
So, 14 hours in and I just finished all the quests on chapter 8, I guess it's time for chapter 9? I can't see anything else happening here. The game is brilliant, but it works better in small doses like 2 hours straight at most.

How many chapters in total?

18 according to Trophies.

Moogle11

Banned

Same. Few things have me bounce of a game, or drop to easy if possible, than having to grind.

I like linear games worn fair progression where I’m making story (and/or sidequest) progress every session and it wasting time getting lost trying to figure out what to do/where to go or having to grind to beat bosses in default difficulty (have hard modes from the start for people who want that in story focused games).

So this game is hitting all the right notes for me so far.

DryPancakes

Banned

Individualistic mindset... says the person who refuses to accept other's opinions, dismisses legitmiate criticism as haters and trolls, refuses to understand that is not about changes or a 1 to 1 remake but about BAD changes, and proceeds
to list HIS personal favorite and why HE loves it, me me me.

Individualistic mindset... says the person who refuses to accept other's opinions, dismisses legitmiate criticism as haters and trolls, refuses to understand that is not about changes or a 1 to 1 remake but about BAD changes, and proceeds
to list HIS personal favorite and why HE loves it, me me me.

Your sir are a moron.

1) Was I posting anything related to you currently?

2) Did you even see the original response I posted to the one I was and why I listed my favorite FF game?

All you are doing is continuing to attack a forum member because you can't get over the fact you have a sh**y opinion and people have called you out on your BS. Are you really that butthurt? I took your hint, and your opinion and its sh**. Take a fu**ing hint now yourself and piss off mate.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
What hubs are we looking at for part 2? The slums were fun(really needed a graphical touchup), the Wall Market was fantastic. But we need more.

- Kalm
- Junon
- Costa Del Sol
- Gold Saucer
- Cosmo Canyon
- Gongaga Village

giphy.gif

WUTAI

It gets mentioned on the reg so I’m ASSUMING we head there in part 2

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
really loving this game. all this quality time w Cloud and all the gang. the group dynamic from FFXV really works well here w the Avalanche crew. love Jessie and Wedge and Biggs as real major characters. all of them unique and pretty interesting. I can tell that a replay is going to be v cool

so I approve of the expansion into episodes. we really get a deep dive here, we get to know Midgar and it’s people super well.

on top of that, outside of a few notable bad textures, the game looks consistently stunning. tremendous attention to detail in world art design, lighting, color, etc. nearly all areas feature a skybox that is a jaw droppingly gorgeous dystopian techno monostrosity filling the sky. character design is faithful and inspired.

plus the game is just fun to play. materia has always been a great system and upgrading it and finding new stuff and constantly customizing your setup can be a super enjoyable gameplay loop. I dig the new weapons upgrades too.

only 9 hours in but id day they nailed it out of the park w this one

Last edited:

Pallas

Your gf or wife must be proud that you treat women as sperm trash.

Lovely first post to see when opening the thread. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Got a question for everyone who has played it, when spending SP on weapons, is it worth maxing out the buster sword or should that be left for a pet project later on in the game?

Boneless

Lovely first post to see when opening the thread. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Got a question for everyone who has played it, when spending SP on weapons, is it worth maxing out the buster sword or should that be left for a pet project later on in the game?

Each weapon has its own points.

Seriously, why all the personal attacks? Is this how you talk to people in the real world?

The other poster was insistent on condemning everything I said even though it no longer directly pertained to him or I even quoting his posts. He wants to continue to be disrespectful and I labeled him the way I did while asking the Mod to step in.

Now drop it yourself. You all know my stance on the matter. You all have your opinion as sh**y as it is as well as being in the minority and I have called you out on it. Tried to state things in a somewhat constructive debate (some not all I would agree such as true fan post which I will still consider myself exactly that) but now move the fu** on. I think your opinions suck and you all have had no constructive reasoning besides Nomura is a hack, and/or its fanfiction, etc. because of a game that stays 95% true to the original story in the Midgar section and pressing judgment on something that isn't even out yet (part 2 and forward).

Last edited:
Day 4 - at around 22hrs playtime now.

Finished off Wall Market (chapter 9) and then cruised through 10, 11 and 12.

Wall Market was perfect, I was hoping I could mop up some things after the Corneo stuff but the story had other plans and threw me into chapter 10.

The linear fashion of the game is a mixed blessing, on the one hand it means I've not had a chance to over-level my characters and every boss (and even non-boss encounters) really push my team setup to its limits, balancing as a whole feels spot on. I've wiped-out a few times, but have always been able to bounce back by making adjustments.

but on the flip-side, it's a bit like Mario Bros where you can't stay still and just enjoy the moment as you're always getting pushed along in one way or another, be it by a path that is clearly 'blocked off' temporarily or by a cut-scene resulting in you leaving an area without your consent. But I guess this isn't a criticism, it's almost meta considering for most of part 1 characters seem almost self-aware that they are being led on a very specific path against their free-will.

Chapter 10 - Sewers

I heard people hated this chapter, but I thought it was pretty decent! it felt like a classic Final Fantasy dungeon with plenty of encounters and some light puzzle solving. Some gameplay 'meat' to balance out chapter 10's narrative-heavy content. My main gripe would be the visuals and music were both very repetitive, I can understand why some folks consider this "filler" content.

Chapter 11 - Train Graveyard

This area in the original game always gave me the creeps so I would rush through it. In the remake they do a better job of fleshing this section out with more of a narrative. Like chapter 11, it also feels a bit like an old school dungeon, so it could have done with not being directly after chapter 11, but alas that's how things were in the original, at least by the time you're through 11 and 12 you've levelled up a bunch so have some new things to play with.

Bonus points for having a boss I could actually steal something from, as up until this point having that materia on Cloud has been a complete waste of time.

Chapter 12 - Spoilerville!

I was honestly a bit underwhelmed by how the remake handled the plate collapse stuff.

The cutscenes made it look like there were some epic fire-fights going on between the mercs and Shinra, but I guess they couldn't be bothered to animate these as seconds later when I'm actually climbing the thing, it's just the same old enemies I've seen before on each floor, and the only mercs are random re-used dead body assets sat around.

Biggs and Jessie croaking it was a bit too drawn out, I loved the chaos of the original game where you are running up the stairs, seeing people get gunned down and finding Biggs etc already basically dead. But here each one is given some overly drawn-out death dialogue sequences which didn't really make me feel anything and went against the whole 'gotta get to the top fast' plot-line, and wedge getting crushed to death rescuing cats was more hilarious than it was tragic.

Boss fight was then literally the two Turk fights but at the same time. The helicopter really didn't play much of a part here which is a shame, as it could have been used more effectively to make this a more unique final battle.

So overall, Chapter 12 I would say is the first chapter to "miss" in the remake, and I felt the original game had the better narrative and cut-scenes.

Chapter 13 looks bonkers, can't wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

psorcerer

Banned
Essentially there are 3 battles so far that had that problem: Hell house, Mark II flying machines, Frog king.
But all of these have the same problem: unbelievably damaging attacks where there is not time to counter or interrupt.

That's one real strategy tip I've got from this whole conversation so far.
Placing characters far from each other and trying to switch aggro by switching characters. Thanks.

Because of the "can't hit it" animation the ATB grows is like 10x slower.

No, any flying creature will stop giving any ATB to melee characters.
Which immediately reduces your interrupt capacity to zero (Aerith casts are slow as hell) if it's Aerith/Cloud combo.
And getting ATB by blocking has problems with magic: full damage. I.e. flying magic casters decimate you in seconds, literally.

And how exactly that helps?
You cannot avoid most of the attacks that matter (see Hell house), and block gives you like 10% damage reduction (or 0% if it's magic).

But it seems like the game relies on you evading stuff. If there was no "evade" option I would consider it fair.
But it's there and it's crucial to not getting killed by avoidable attacks that still do hell of a damage in block.
So essentially for any enemy attack you need some sort of trial and error to find out what to do: evade, defend, counter, interrupt.
And the cost of each error is pretty big. In case of a bosses like Hell House the cost is phoenix dawn in each case.
Multiply it by amount of the various attacks and it looks pretty fucked up to me.

And game really does a poor job explaining that aggro switches to the character you are controlling.
It can be found only indirectly by looking at what "aggro inducing" materia does.

Update: tried to equip both characters with al the elements, it helped tremendously in the first part of the hellhouse battle.
But the second part is still the same bullshit: it does either Renewed Hospitality or it's Thunder attack. Both are unaviodable, and both do >800 damage. Which means character is killed in a lot of cases or needs to spend ATB on healing. And then it does it again and again and again.
Both of these cannot be interrupted, I think it's immune to interruption anyway.
And because second character is dead ~50% of the time, no ATB, and you cannot damage the house at all.
the funny part is that if Aerith stays dead the house is pretty manageable. It stops endlessly spamming these unavoidable attacks and I can really do some damage, but it will probably take me couple of hours at this pace (painfully slow).
Which still bring me to the point that this battle system is not about strategy, but about finding out what developers wanted you to do, so it becomes winnable.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Fuckin Hell House! :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:
Won on my first try but fuck that!

Edit: It's quite clear that they put their A-game in this part comparing to Sector 5.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Update: tried to equip both characters with al the elements, it helped tremendously in the first part of the hellhouse battle.
But the second part is still the same bullshit: it does either Renewed Hospitality or it's Thunder attack. Both are unaviodable, and both do >800 damage. Which means character is killed in a lot of cases or needs to spend ATB on healing. And then it does it again and again and again.
Both of these cannot be interrupted, I think it's immune to interruption anyway.
And because second character is dead ~50% of the time, no ATB, and you cannot damage the house at all.
the funny part is that if Aerith stays dead the house is pretty manageable. It stops endlessly spamming these unavoidable attacks and I can really do some damage, but it will probably take me couple of hours at this pace (painfully slow).
Which still bring me to the point that this battle system is not about strategy, but about finding out what developers wanted you to do, so it becomes winnable.

I had to use Aerith's limit 2 times, plus a lot of potions and cura frequently. Don't let your HP down, take your time, practice hit and run with Cloud and always go back to Aerith to move her far from the house. Her ATB bar fills up pretty fast. I did all of this but I got lucky I think. Crazy battle.

Zog

Banned
The other poster was insistent on condemning everything I said even though it no longer directly pertained to him or I even quoting his posts. He wants to continue to be disrespectful and I labeled him the way I did while asking the Mod to step in.

Now drop it yourself. You all know my stance on the matter. You all have your opinion as sh**y as it is as well as being in the minority and I have called you out on it. Tried to state things in a somewhat constructive debate (some not all I would agree such as true fan post which I will still consider myself exactly that) but now move the fu** on. I think your opinions suck and you all have had no constructive reasoning besides Nomura is a hack, and/or its fanfiction, etc. because of a game that stays 95% true to the original story in the Midgar section and pressing judgment on something that isn't even out yet (part 2 and forward).

I don't have any problem with the story, I just don't like the battle system. Still, I can't imagine getting as upset as you over people posting negative opinions about the story.

psorcerer

Banned
I had to use Aerith's limit 2 times, plus a lot of potions and cura frequently. Don't let your HP down, take your time, practice hit and run with Cloud and always go back to Aerith to move her far from the house. Her ATB bar fills up pretty fast. I did all of this but I got lucky I think. Crazy battle.

I have watched guides on youtube and I have no idea wtf going on but my hell house is much much stronger than theirs!
First of all: in phase 2 is uses: chair salvo deluxe, renewed hospitality, etc. all the skills people taste only in phase 3 on youtube.
My hellhouse is always in good house mode, i.e. you cannot attack it at all, you can attack it only when it readies a skill. People happily attack it in phase 2 on youtube.
All the charging attacks are unavoidable (I've seen people successfully guarding/dodging these on youtube).
All the charging attacks end with a huge splash explosion (fire or thunder or ice) that do enormous amounts of damage, on youtube the house just stops after hitting something.
Ha, people easily avoid it's hospitality by evading to the back of the house, my hous will just move forward then and absorb second character (tried that) the only way to prevent somebody from dying is to interrupt, it looks like hospitality is the only interruptable skill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom