• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII |OT| Gabe Finally Passes the SeeD Exam

GAMERG0D

LOosWCh.jpg

Price:
$11.99 on Steam; $9.60 on GMG with coupon code GMG20-CV2W4-DSYBT

Magic Booster
When Magic Booster is used, the player’s inventory of the following spells is increased by 100:

Cure, Cura, Curaga, Fire, Fira, Blizzard, Blizzara, Thunder, Thundara, Sleep, Blind, Silence, Berserk, Bio, Esuna, Aero, Confuse, Break, Zombie

Chocobo World
This version of FFVIII includes the full game “Chocobo World” that was released as a separate application for previous versions. It is possible to play “Chocobo World” directly from the launcher after booting up FFVIII and by fulfilling certain specific conditions in the main game you will also be able to synchronise data between the two games.

DRM: There seems to be a one-time log in just like FF VII, if you already have VII it signs you in automatically.

Mods: Original Music

Misc:
Enemies scale with your level, not leveling up makes the game easier and there's actually an achievement for not leveling up Squall.
If the game doesn't recognize your controller, plug it in before you launch the game.
Tips on how to break the entire game within 45 minutes of starting:
As soon as you can, max out your salary level. Buy 30 tents as soon as you can. Use Siren's Life Magic refine ability to refine 30 tents into 300 Curagas. Junction Curaga to each character's HP. You now have enough HP to beat the entire game without any difficulty--and because your max HP is boosted and your current HP is not, Squall will be in limit break mode until you heal. Fight as few random battles as you can for the entire game; learn Card Mod to kill enemies without earning experience. I believe Diablos has an ability to lower the random battle encounter rate. Don't ever fight a random battle where you actually kill the enemies, only run or Card Mod. You will be able to blaze through the entire game with no difficulty whatsoever.

Please be mindful of people that have not played FF VIII before, use spoiler tags in this thread.

Lyonaz

I'm gonna play the game with the enc-none ability and overpower my characters with junction shenanigans, just want to cruise through the story.

What's the best config for the 360 controller? The buttons are all messed up.

To new players: After you get your first official mission from Cid to head to Timber, talk to him again to obtain the Magical Lamp.

REMEMBER TO SAVE YOUR GAME BEFORE USING THE MAGICAL LAMP

Sgblues

There's a VGCW joke in the title haha.

But the magic booster thing sounds cool, but maybe should have added something that allows you to max out stats(if you choose to do so) since eating enemies and refining items takes a really long time to do.

Another thing for new players: the amount of spells you can Draw from an enemy (and the success rate of getting higher-level spells from enemies) is directly related to your character's Magic stat. A lazy way to get 100 spells onto a character is to have your character with the best Magic stat Draw 100, then give them to another character, then repeat.

Speaking of which, don't try and overload every single character with spells. Keep all your good shit on the 3 characters you plan on using/are using at the moment, and keep all the other stuff on the characters you aren't using.

Ilúvatar

Probably Definitely going to pick this up over winter break - hoping to play through VII, VIII, X and X-2 in the near future.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd love an HD texture pack for this. I've beaten the game since buying it at launch back in 1999, but having it on PC makes switching disc a lot easier. GMG has a 20% off code.

GMG20-CV2W4-DSYBT

It's under $10 with that code.

Wazzy

Banned
YESSSSS get to replay the best FF again on PC <333333

I really hope a mod for Seifer get's made. I want that sexy mothafucka in mah party.

If only I could pry myself away from doing absolutely every side activity in ACIV. Can't wait to jump back into this game. I wonder if I have that old strategy guide lying around somewhere...

Unai

I bought it because I`m a huge Final Fantasy fan, but I`m planing on buying a vita in the near future, so I have to ask you guys:

Which version should be better: PC or vita? Keep in mind I'll just play my vita at home.

squallmx

How good does it runs?

Yesterday I tried to play the original release on Windows 8 and the framerate is choppy both on my ultrabook (i5 ULV with Intel HD 4000) and on my DRC (i7 with nVidia 770M), some textures are off, and the music is way worse than the PSX release.

Steel

Banned
I bought it because I`m a huge Final Fantasy fan, but I`m planing on buying a vita in the near future, so I have to ask you guys:

Which version should be better: PC or vita? Keep in mind I'll just play my vita at home.

Even if you're playing at home portability is a plus. It's like reading a book on your computer versus reading it anywhere in the house, imo. That being said, there will doubtless be mods for the PC version. And the Vita version, while stretchable, does not have the same aspect ratio as the vita screen.

Dunan

This is a wonderful game that I'll always have fond memories of, and always come back to every few years.

Is this Magic Booster thing free or are they nickel-and-dimnig you for it? I like to keep an very early save file, in which I've drawn a lot of the basic magic and have acquired the Card ability for Quetzalcoatl, around so that some of the early drudgery can be skipped.

New players: early in the game you'll get the ability to increase your salary by passing written SeeD tests. Don't google the answers; play the game and learn how things work, because all that test knowledge really does go hand in hand with playing the game. (I once started writing an "Annotated SeeD Test FAQ" that explained why the answers were what they were. I should get back to it.)

Hopefully the music and other PC things are fixed. Will have to get this eventually and use those broken methods to play the game. Just for the story.

New players: early in the game you'll get the ability to increase your salary by passing written SeeD tests. Don't google the answers; play the game and learn how things work, because all that test knowledge really does go hand in hand with playing the game. (I once started writing an "Annotated SeeD Test FAQ" that explained why the answers were what they were. I should get back to it.)

This reminds me: make sure to check the in-game tutorial/help menu. Some stuff is thrown at you during the game (like how to equip GFs), but there's a lot of good information that isn't mentioned in the course of the game (like all the rules for Triple Triad). It's definitely worth a look since it's not automated like the ones you normally get while playing.

Card Boy

Banned
Wish someone would mod online support for Triple Triad. Those dedicated sites to Triple Triad suck ass i want the real thing.

Cheddahz

Banned
Currently waiting for some money to pop up in my account and then I'm probably going to crack out on it this weekend

My personal favorite Final Fantasy game!

chupon

Yea IIRC it's actually easier if you don't level up and just junction magic to your weapon stats. If you level up the enemies level up.

So at the end game all the bosses are crazy hard. I remember having lots of fun with fights where it was pretty much a random chance if a specific spell would wipe out my team before I could finish the boss off.

sfedai0

Banned
One of the best FF in terms or art design, but god damn that battle system. Made me want to throw the tv out the window.

GAMERG0D

Added

This is a wonderful game that I'll always have fond memories of, and always come back to every few years.

Is this Magic Booster thing free or are they nickel-and-dimnig you for it? I like to keep an very early save file, in which I've drawn a lot of the basic magic and have acquired the Card ability for Quetzalcoatl, around so that some of the early drudgery can be skipped.
It's in the game launcher, this isn't a mobile game. :p

Wedge7

Ah nice, probably my favorite FF game. I've played them all, and loved or at least enjoyed every single one, but this one was most likely the one I enjoyed the most. May have just been that time period in my life, as I had played FF7 earlier, but when that game came out, I was not a big FF or RPG fan for that matter, and it of course changed everything. Thus, when FF8 came out, I remember feeling such anticipation and hype for, and it completely delivered for me on all counts. I remember all my friends getting and discussing the game everyday on the bus heading to class. That feeling of a game having such a presence and dominating all discussion with everyone I know was only ever rivalled by Ocarina of Time, and then later WoW. I guess this'll be the only game I have ever owned 3 copies of, with the original PS version, a copy I bought on PSN for nostalgia, and now this so I have it on steam.

So at the end game all the bosses are crazy hard. I remember having lots of fun with fights where it was pretty much a random chance if a specific spell would wipe out my team before I could finish the boss off.

Even with enemies scaling with you, the game is still incredibly easy once you've got all the major spells junctioned on you. The only time it is difficult is early Disc 1, choosing to fight Omega Weapon, and when you're doing the Eden subquest.

Chinbo37

One of the main FF games I never played but always wanted to.

Would you recommend the Steam version for ease of use or trying to get epsxe running (I still have never tried psx emulation)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ahh EXCELLENT!

also, as.. the steam reviews on steam for this game are bagging the DRM, even videos showign the requirement of DRM.. but the OP here is saying no DRM...
i'm very confused.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Stump's tip works, but you could just play the card game and get Lionheart within disc one if you TRULY wanted to break the game.

But both are boring and not needed. The beauty of FF8 (and 12) is that you can break that as soon as you want or you can avoid all that and play via GF summon spam or not.

It's your choice!

And looking at the achievement list, I can't remember how you don't level Squall since AFAIK you don't get the ability to shut off Random Encounters for a long while.

Tecl0n

I've always wondered why SE and it's mobile love never went back to Triple Triad. Such a great game (FFVIII not so much, then again i've yet to finish it).

Almighty

The worst Final Fantasy.

Well, I haven't played anything after 11 though.

I am not a huge fan of FFVIII, but I think XIII is clearly the worse Final Fantasy now. I would personally also put X below VIII, but I don't care enough about either of them to argue over it. There also might be some older ones that are worse then 8, but I haven't played all of them.

Top Bottom