• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII |OT| Gabe Finally Passes the SeeD Exam

antitrop

I actually did have a Yamaha Synthesizer on my old Windows 98 PC, and it did produce good MIDI output, but it wasn't as good as the PS.

Yeah, exactly, no matter what you did, you were still getting inferior music. Although without the Synthesizer it was reaaaaaaally bad.

Luckily, I played the game in ignorance, because I didn't have a PS1 in 1998. Only when I replayed the game on my PS2 a few years later did I realize how much better the original music was.

FFVII PC was such a garbage port, especially when it came to 3D Accelerator compatibility. FFVIII PC was much more forgiving, in that regard.

Haha. I've played FFVIII many times. I'm just wondering if the game actually runs in a little box on the screen, rather than proper full-screen.

Er, no. That effect on the trailer is because it's a widescreen video and the game 1) is 4:3 and 2) doesn't have HD assets, so the fmv probably looks appreciably worse when blown up to large resolutions.

Honestly, the ability to break FF8 is one of the reasons it's my favorite FF (along with good old-fashioned nostalgia). Just bought this, best game purchase I'll make all December.

Narroo

The beauty and disaster of FFVIII is that there are so many ways to break that game with minimal effort.

Or, you can be OCD and spend your first three hours drawing level 1 spells.

As far as I can tell, a depressing number of people did the later.

Link1110

Hmm... I'm a few days from being able to buy this on Vita (gotta have my girlfriend at my place first long story.) Is this version better in some way that would make me want to skip the PS1 version?

Hmm... I'm a few days from being able to buy this on Vita (gotta have my girlfriend at my place first long story.) Is this version better in some way that would make me want to skip the PS1 version?

You can play the Chocobo World minigame (that required the PocketStation in Japan, which was dead by the time of the international release). That's really it, apart from the Steam Achievements.

There's no other difference between the two versions - though the Steam currently features midi music, but everyone suspects that'll be patched out for the actual OST sometime soon (as what happened with the Steam release of FFVII).

The PC release will look better in cases (character models are smoother and appear more detailed because of it), though arguably worse in others since the backgrounds are still low-res and will appear more pixelated at larger resolutions. Really just a matter of preference if you want to play it with a controller at your PC/laptop on a larger screen on the go with your Vita.

The beauty and disaster of FFVIII is that there are so many ways to break that game with minimal effort.

/raises hand

but day one of US release, who knew better haha and it was still fun the first time in the sort of RPG induced OCD way that any grinding can be fun

antitrop

/raises hand

but day one of US release, who knew better haha and it was still fun the first time in the sort of RPG induced OCD way that any grinding can be fun

Yeah, I remember when FFVIII first released, 9/9/99! (same day as Dreamcast).

The demo that came with Brave Fencer Musashi was also pretty impressive, my friends and I were all amazed that they actually made a 3D Final Fantasy game with characters that look like real people.

johntown

Banned
Hoping for a bootleg mod for this.

I really hope someone can make some tweaks to Bootleg for FFVII and get it working for this.

Personally, this is one of my favorite Final Fantasies and I hope the community gets behind it and gets some improved textures.

I know there are currently a few things already but nothing like Bootleg.......I think.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Finally a (mostly) safe haven to enjoy my normally frowned upon love of FF8. This was my first introduction to the series and it was a great one at that. The awesome creativity of the gardens. A kickass (though probably impractical) gun blade. And Alexander. Still to this day my favorite GF (or summon or whatever)

Falcs

Banned
Wait, so I know GMG says I need a steam account, so that means if I buy it there, i'll still get it on steam??

Screenshot for those wondering (through steam at 1080p).

2013-12-06_000017bu4l.jpg

legacyzero

Banned

I did the latter, and enioy it that way every subsequent playthrough.

....Not sure why..

TheContact

lol I love the Magic Booster. I thought the booster in 7 which maxed the HP and lvl on your characters was lame but this is helpful and just saves time =D

TokiDoki

Another tips to overpower throughout the game while still being fun and not game breaking -

I believe you can draw double in disc 1 and triple in disc 2 (
from Odin
) . These spells are very strong when junctioned to physical attack . With 99 each of these for 3 characters , you will be damaging more than you should be and no reliance of GF (less waiting for GF animation while dealing more damage means more fun) . And then Ultima from disc 3 , and you'll be breezing throughout the rest of the game .

And don't forget to trigger Squall's attack :)

If I'm gonna finish this again , it will be the 12th times :x

Edit : errr .. I read a comment in steam that you need 60 hours to finish main story , lol no . 20 hours is good enough and maybe 30 if you wanna beat Omega .

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Why are people telling others about breaking the game like that? Part of FFVIII's beauty was discovering this stuff on your own

Exentryk

Another tips to overpower throughout the game while still being fun and not game breaking -

I believe you can draw double in disc 1 and triple in disc 2 (
from Odin
) . These spells are very strong when junctioned to physical attack . With 99 each of these for 3 characters , you will be damaging more than you should be and no reliance of GF (less waiting for GF animation while dealing more damage means more fun) . And then Ultima from disc 3 , and you'll be breezing throughout the rest of the game .

You can make Meteor in disc 1 if you play enough cards. IIRC, that's the best magic to be junctioned to your STR. Tornados are easier to come by in disc 1 though, so use them instead until later.
I junction Ultima to Elem defense as it gives a bonus to all stats.

mrpookles

I always went with converting the Laguna card into 100 Hero potions. It's a decent way into the game by that point, but it makes the rest of the game a breeze. Keep everyone low on health and constantly throw limit breaks at enemies. 'times.

Jubern

I always went with converting the Laguna card into 100 Hero potions. It's a decent way into the game by that point, but it makes the rest of the game a breeze. Keep everyone low on health and constantly throw limit breaks at enemies. 'times.

I really suck at cards and only bothered to get his card once. The opponent was too stronk, almost went mad.

got near the end of the game
saw a ultimate weapon in that castle, said no I should train some more

and stopped playing, got it on vita tho might finish it.

Purchased! I never finished the PC version and it was lost long ago. I'm glad they gave the Magic Booster thing; the Draw system was the only thing that turned me off about the game and ultimately prevented me from finishing it. :) Can finally plough through this thing!

Yeah, I remember when FFVIII first released, 9/9/99! (same day as Dreamcast).

The demo that came with Brave Fencer Musashi was also pretty impressive, my friends and I were all amazed that they actually made a 3D Final Fantasy game with characters that look like real people.
interesting thing for me was that I actually rushed through the last 4-5 hours of VIII to finish it, because in the late afternoon my Suikoden 2 was arriving. I had never played it before but I remember being super impressed by GameFan's Suikoden 1 review, but still not enough to try it... maybe I was too much of a Squaresoft loyalist. But then I think I saw Suikoden 2's review in PSM, and I said, OK, going to try it.

First ten minutes.. wow what a shock going from FF VIII to Suikoden 2. Felt like switching back to my SNES. But after the opening scene, what a game. Wow. Never judge a book by its cover, as they say haha.

suzu

If you want to obtain magic (other than using Draw), learn the commands (L Mag-RF, F Mag-RF, etc etc) that let you refine items into magic spells.

Love VIII. Dem Limit Breaks.

Any first timers... I recommend playing the way I do: with 2 fighters in a constant state of near death so they can spam limit breaks and a healer to resurrect them in case they do die. Is that OP? Yes, the game is broken, but in a very fun way...beats grinding amirite.

Honestly, the reflexes you'll develop in order to squeeze the biggest combo possible out of Zell's timed limit break will astound you!

I've beaten this game quite a few times, so the inclusion of achievements is a perfect reason to go thru it again. Are any of the achievements missable in a single run?

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

I had almost completely forgotten about Brave Fencer Musashi and how much I loved it.

120v

gahh... i just spent a fortune during the steam sale and promised i wouldn't buy anything else, no matter how cheap. and a few days later my favorite FF pops up on steam..

either way, can't wait to play this. i never played any of the PC ports before... should be interesting

First played the game on PC with terrible skipping FMV. Despite the gameplay being a mess, it's somehow my favorite.

I'd like to see a heavily modded ver. of this game to rebalance the difficulty.

TokiDoki

You can make Meteor in disc 1 if you play enough cards. IIRC, that's the best magic to be junctioned to your STR. Tornados are easier to come by in disc 1 though, so use them instead until later.
I junction Ultima to Elem defense as it gives a bonus to all stats.

I usually never play cards unless it is to get Pulse Armor . Double is easy to come by from the monster in the plain , and easily gives around 1-2k damage IIRC with Squall .

Oh and never forget to boost magic(by junctioning high lvl magic to it) while drawing , otherwise the draw rate is pretty low .

My favourite music in FF8 is probably The Landing .

cj_iwakura

I liked how the trailer was just CG. No gameplay here!

Also, this is kind of a rip-off IMO. Is the PC port even any good? Modding aside.

I still own a hard copy of the PS1 version, but just curious.

antitrop

interesting thing for me was that I actually rushed through the last 4-5 hours of VIII to finish it, because in the late afternoon my Suikoden 2 was arriving. I had never played it before but I remember being super impressed by GameFan's Suikoden 1 review, but still not enough to try it... maybe I was too much of a Squaresoft loyalist. But then I think I saw Suikoden 2's review in PSM, and I said, OK, going to try it.

First ten minutes.. wow what a shock going from FF VIII to Suikoden 2. Felt like switching back to my SNES. But after the opening scene, what a game. Wow. Never judge a book by its cover, as they say haha.
Suikoden II is deservedly legendary. What an amazing game.

Luca Blight and Kefka up there as two of the most evil JRPG antagonists in gaming.

On the title screen if you select "credits" you can hear a really nice remix of the chocobo theme I've never heard before. And of course also see the PC version credits.

Top Bottom