• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII |OT| Gabe Finally Passes the SeeD Exam

B.K.

And looking at the achievement list, I can't remember how you don't level Squall since AFAIK you don't get the ability to shut off Random Encounters for a long while.

It's not that hard. What I do is run from EVERY random encounter before the
Dollet mission. When you're in Dollet, have Seifer kill Zell and Squall as soon as possible before the first battle ends, that way only Seifer gets experience. Next, give Seifer all the GFs. Solo enough battles with Seifer to make Quetzalcoatl learn Card and level Ifrit enough to get Amm-RF, if you want to get Lionheart on disc one without leveling any permanent character. Later when you get Diabolos after the Dollet Mission, go to the coast by Balamab and fight the fish monsters, but make sure to kill them by Card command. If you Card them, you won't gain any expereince.
You can beat the game with Squall never gaining a single point of experience.

Don't skip out on the card system, even if you end up having to look up a walkthrough for it, it's a lot of fun and you end up with a lot of powerful items and spells to craft weapons with/junction.

What do you mean Gabe finally passes the SeeD exam, OT title?

jbtEYOvOHZtzHl.jpg

he was there since day 1

LOL

Stump's tip works, but you could just play the card game and get Lionheart within disc one if you TRULY wanted to break the game.

But both are boring and not needed. The beauty of FF8 (and 12) is that you can break that as soon as you want or you can avoid all that and play via GF summon spam or not.

It's your choice!

And looking at the achievement list, I can't remember how you don't level Squall since AFAIK you don't get the ability to shut off Random Encounters for a long while.

You get the magic lamp, cast blind on Diablos and beat him by drawing demi and casting it back on him until his HP is in single figures, then kill him in one hit. Teach him enc-half then enc-none. The best way to earn AP early on is using the Card function on the fish on the beach near Balamb garden.

The GOAT has finally arrived on Steam! I can't wait to see what mods people come up with. I just wish they'd do a proper remake, it baffles me that they don't see that using their money and assets to reconstruct VII, VIII, and IX would make them far more money than any new FF ever will.

bengraven

Well, another game added to my must buy list when Winter Sale hits. Although I doubt it will get discounted.

FFVII was on sale within two or three weeks of release.

Hell, it may have been on sale WHEN it was released, I can't remember. I know I bought it very soon after on discount.

Just a heads up. As someone who bought this but not FFVII, I had to sign in with a Square Enix account, enter date of birth agree to terms of use etc the first time I booted the game.

Just a heads up. As someone who bought this but not FFVII, I had to sign in with a Square Enix account, enter date of birth agree to terms of use etc the first time I booted the game.

I'm confused about that as well.

I didn't have to sign in, but it seemed to sign me in automatically...and now there is no option to sign out.

So do you need an account or not?

I'm confused about that as well.

I didn't have to sign in, but it seemed to sign me in automatically...and now there is no option to sign out.

So do you need an account or not?

A assume you do. Maybe steam remembers your Square Enix login across games and logs you automatically for each game once the setup is done for the first time.

antitrop

Final Fantasy VIII is second on the best-sellers list, just behind Starbound (which deserves it).

Can only hope to the highest heavens that this encourages Square to put more of their stuff on Steam, because damnit, I'll buy it.

Ok just unlinked my steam account from square and deleted the folders under my documents.

When starting FF8 again you get:

So FF8 has the same Square DRM account rubbish as FF7. It just logs in automatically if you have previously linked things up.

SeeD began as one of the coolest and most fun settings or systems in an FF game... Loved the school and job idea, ranks, wage, etc idea.

But then in one swoop, everything I thought I knew was crushed and it was never the same =(

Still love the first 7-8 hours of the game though! :D Maybe I'll replay in 2 weeks on my holiday :D

GolazoDan

Fucking loved this as a kid. I don't think I ever finished it though. It had 3 discs on the Playstation and to me that was a sign of immense quality AND quantity. Squall did look like a punk ass bitch though, even at the age of 10 I knew this.

There was something about Steam's version of FFVII having the wrong music, right? I never kept up on that, what was the deal?

Oh man..
I haven't played this since the week it launched.

Hated it from start to finish, but a replay after 14 years could be fun.

Atlantis

Stump's tip works, but you could just play the card game and get Lionheart within disc one if you TRULY wanted to break the game.

There are many ways to "break" FFVIII. Broken spells, items, ect. are almost a staple of the genre but FFVIII took it to the next level. It's probably the only JRPG I've played where I had to make considerable effort not to completely massacre everything. (I failed.)

The OP tip works, but the game is nowhere near difficult enough to take the effort not to level your characters.

antitrop

There was something about Steam's version of FFVII having the wrong music, right? I never kept up on that, what was the deal?

It's not just the Steam version, man, it goes all the way back to the triangular boxed copy of FFVII that was released in 1998.

But at least now you can fix it by dragging and dropping some files, back in '98 we were stuck with the lesser music, unless you had some kind of crazy Yamaha Synthesizer bullshit (that nobody did).

FaintDeftone

I got to disc 3 back when it launched and never could finish it. Hated the draw system. Maybe I'll give it another go on PC even though I own two copies of it on PSX...

It's not just the Steam version, man, it goes all the way back to the triangular boxed copy of FFVII that was released in 1998.

But at least now you can fix it by dragging and dropping some files, back in '98 we were stuck with the lesser music, unless you had some kind of crazy Yamaha Synthesizer bullshit (that nobody did).

Does this require a similar fix?

Soule

So if I buy on GMG I can activate the game on Steam?

EDIT: Nevermind lol, big ol' disclaiming on the GMG site saying it requires steam xD

First post after a 6 month ban...

I am new to steam/pc gaming and want in on the this game (one of my favs), what is the easiest or most effective option to get a controller working? With the exception of some competitive shooters and other kb/m musts, I'd prefer using a controller for most of my games.

I have a Dualshock 2 and 3 and a 360 controller sans wireless dongle (PS pads being my preference). Help needed.

Thanks.

Edit: Thanks, toddhunter

First post after a 6 month ban...

I am new to steam/pc gaming and want in on the this game (one of my favs), what is the easiest or most effective option to get a controller working? With the exception of some competitive shooters and other kb/m musts, I'd prefer using a controller for most of my games.

I have a Dualshock 2 and 3 and a 360 controller sans wireless dongle (PS pads being my preference). Help needed.

Thanks.

Follow this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59385385&postcount=102, plug your DS3 in and fire up the game.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

I actually did have a Yamaha Synthesizer on my old Windows 98 PC, and it did produce good MIDI output, but it wasn't as good as the PS.

nbthedude

Ok just unlinked my steam account from square and deleted the folders under my documents.

When starting FF8 again you get:

So FF8 has the same Square DRM account rubbish as FF7. It just logs in automatically if you have previously linked things up.

Ah, well I didn't notice because it automatically logged me in.

But if that is the "DRM" people are whining bout then they are fucking babies. You register an account one time and from then on it auto-logs you in with any game you purchase on Steam.

Always wanted to play Chocobo World but...eh, we'll see. Buy the game people, it has a fantastic fantastic soundtrack and an interesting cast of characters (Zell and Selphie are the best). And it is so sooooo easy to break this game.

But if that is the "DRM" people are whining bout then they are fucking babies. You register an account one time and from then on it auto-logs you in with any game you purchase on Steam.

The implication is that when the service goes down you will not be able to easily re-install or play the game.

It isn't the worst DRM in the world, but there is no need for it and it certainly isn't something to simply gloss over.

Exentryk

It's not that hard. What I do is run from EVERY random encounter before the
Dollet mission. When you're in Dollet, have Seifer kill Zell and Squall as soon as possible before the first battle ends, that way only Seifer gets experience. Next, give Seifer all the GFs. Solo enough battles with Seifer to make Quetzalcoatl learn Card and level Ifrit enough to get Amm-RF, if you want to get Lionheart on disc one without leveling any permanent character. Later when you get Diabolos after the Dollet Mission, go to the coast by Balamab and fight the fish monsters, but make sure to kill them by Card command. If you Card them, you won't gain any expereince.
You can beat the game with Squall never gaining a single point of experience.

Yup!
I level Seifer to 99 with all the GFs junctioned to him. As Seifer's level increases, you can draw Firaga, Blizzaga etc versions from the dollet soldiers. Ifrit learns Str +60% and Str +40% and you can use that to gain lots of AP from that spider boss by defeating him multiple times.

IIRC, my game clock said 16 hours and I was still in
Dollet
lol.

dark_chris

I have mods where it replaces character models with HD versions of them. Gotta dig through my hard drive... Crap. Lol

Still the second best FF(behind 6), with the best female love interest and romance subplot(Rinoa).
It's too bad about Quistis though. :( I know there was no way you could give the player a choice and still have the story work, but watching her pain as the events unfolded was brutal.

Top Bottom