• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII |OT| Gabe Finally Passes the SeeD Exam

Draw/Cast Demi on him. Boom. Take advantage of a Limit aaaanndddd battle over.

I'd go a step further and say draw/stock demi - then next turn cast it on him from your magic reserves and he'll counter you by casting curaga on the character who cast the spell.

Silly little GF.

Ryne

I remember when I was younger buying this game but skipping it because one of my friends said that leveling up increased monster's levels. I threw the game into a corner of my closet because I love grinding and leveling up. I will buy it now because I don't care as much.

It's probably the same reason why I have The Last Remnant but never play it. I kinda don't like that mechanic, but TLR's is worse in my opinion.

I remember when I was younger buying this game but skipping it because one of my friends said that leveling up increased monster's levels. I threw the game into a corner of my closet because I love grinding and leveling up. I will buy it now because I don't care as much.

It's probably the same reason why I have The Last Remnant but never play it. I kinda don't like that mechanic, but TLR's is worse in my opinion.

You can still do a crap-ton of grinding in VIII if you want to. It's just mostly more important to draw and stock loads of spells to assign to your stats than it is to gain actual levels.

If you don't grind at all, you would eventually hit a wall where certain bosses are just too difficult to get past.

Console TLR's handling of levels and enemy scaling is borderline broken. Thank god the PC version fixed it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did someone fix the music yet?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Isn't the link for that fix in the OP?
Apologies if that isn't the fix.
You're right, the OP was indeed updated! Thanks man.

TheContact

Anyone get the dpad to work? I'm using ps3 controller with the tricked out 360 drivers posted earlier here. (was using motioninjoy before) Only the analog stick is working for me, I like it for movement but hate it for selecting on the battle screen

Burbeting

Banned
I dunno, but VIII has always been my least favorite FF. Everything felt really watered down in the game (the characters were extremely bland, story had potential but failed, the draw system broke the game for me in first few hours without even trying etc.) Still played +50 hours of it, so I wouldn't say it was bad. Wouldn't buy the steam-version though.

Cross posting from the release thread. Anyone tested this yet?
Another possibility is people are loading up their original FFVIII save into the Steam version. Seems plausible considering the fact that only the hardcore fans are buying FFVIII at full price right now.
So, it is possible to load up a save from the old PC version into this? If so, then I'll get it right now with the GMG sale.

Terra_Ex

I'm pretty sure there are level 1 playthroughs around.
Indeed, one of my favourite playthroughs was a no-junction challenge run, really mixed up how you had to approach the battles. Can't remember if I actually finished that run but I did enjoy it.

Hnnggg.. http://www.ffviiipc.com/en

Dat official website.. I'm melting!

Squall find the carefree Rinoa fascinating

Spelling & grammar issues right on the first page of the site, you can tell Square takes great pride in their work. That page is a nice throwback to the ps1 glory days, would love to see proper remakes of the ps1 trilogy in the future, just not from the current SquareEnix.

B.K.

I'm pretty sure there are level 1 playthroughs around.

EDIT: Unless you mean grinding to simply stock spells/items.

You don't even have to grind to stock spells. You can get all the spells you need from Triple Triad and hidden draw points. Last time I played the game, I didn't draw a single spell from enemies.

UrbanRats

^^^ True, but the argument started with Ryne saying he/she loves to grind.
Triple Triad is basically the best way to win the game easily, for me.

Indeed, one of my favourite playthroughs was a no-junction challenge run, really mixed up how you had to approach the battles. Can't remember if I actually finished that run but I did enjoy it.

Wait, wait... if you don't Junction a GF, you can't do shit but attack, not even use items in-battle.
Or do you mean not junctioning magic to stats?

Terra_Ex

Wait, wait... if you don't Junction a GF, you can't do shit but attack, not even use items in-battle.
Or do you mean not junctioning magic to stats?
As I recall you had to abuse low-HP states to get more limit breaks, hammer the circle button to trigger said limits and make use of characters who could heal via limit breaks. Battles are very hectic and rough going. But you are correct, items and regular magic are certainly not available.

Atlantis

As I recall you had to abuse low-HP states to get more limit breaks, hammer the circle button to trigger said limits and make use of characters who could heal via limit breaks. Battles are very hectic and rough going. But you are correct, items and regular magic are certainly not available.

Correct, except instead of healing you just leave everyone in critical HP and use Rinoa's Invincible Moon to keep yourself alive.

UrbanRats

The challenge uses Limit Breaks to get through the game.

Wow, hats off to them, however far they have gotten in the game.

You don't even have to grind to stock spells. You can get all the spells you need from Triple Triad and hidden draw points. Last time I played the game, I didn't draw a single spell from enemies.

This is a good idea. I think I'll try this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Has anyone modded the Xinput wrapper thing to have the control layout match the PSX version yet? I know someone on Steam made an Xinput or whatever patch but that's a third party program or something...

Ah, nevermind this works from the Steam forums:

k8Faust Dec 7 @ 8:21am said:
Do this:

In Windows, Start>Control Panel>Devices and Printers...

Look for your controller and right click on it.

Go to Game Controller Settings then Properties in the window that opens.

As you press the buttons on your controller, the numbers will light up, showing you which button corresponds with which number. Write these down somewhere for reference, so that when you go to configure your controls, or if the game instructs you to press a button you aren't sure of, you can have it handy.

X/O - 1/2 (A/B on 360)
Square/Triangle - 3/4 (X/Y)
L1/R1 - 5/6 (LB/RB)
Select/Start - 7/8 (Back/Start)
L3/R3 (stick click) - 9/10 (same on 360, stick click)

The triggers (L2/R2) aren't supported in the 360 drivers apparently. So you can't config to those.

Link1110

You can play the Chocobo World minigame (that required the PocketStation in Japan, which was dead by the time of the international release). That's really it, apart from the Steam Achievements.

There's no other difference between the two versions - though the Steam currently features midi music, but everyone suspects that'll be patched out for the actual OST sometime soon (as what happened with the Steam release of FFVII).

The PC release will look better in cases (character models are smoother and appear more detailed because of it), though arguably worse in others since the backgrounds are still low-res and will appear more pixelated at larger resolutions. Really just a matter of preference if you want to play it with a controller at your PC/laptop on a larger screen on the go with your Vita.

I just got the Vita one, and this is probably Japan only (though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but there's a Pocketstation app for Vita, so you can play Chocobo World on there as well. That and the original music makes Vita my platform of choice here. I've been wanting to give this one another go for a long time!

And 9/9/99 wasn't just FF8 and Dreamcast. Suikoden 2 came out that day. I have no idea what Konami was thinking there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pocketstation is Japan only. The US version included it, but I'm not sure if they removed it from the PSN release in the west since it wasn't able to be accessed normally.

Link1110

Pocketstation is Japan only. The US version included it, but I'm not sure if they removed it from the PSN release in the west since it wasn't able to be accessed normally.

Well, FF8's been out on JPSN for a while, but only last month it seems the Pocketstation app comes out, so I don't know if they're gonna release that app for games that include it. They have a whole Pocketstation games section on JPSN, and there are a few surprises. I didn't know Grandia had that option. Makes me wanna buy that and replay it, but I got the Saturn version, so if I do replay Grandia it'll be that version.

B.K.

I just got the Vita one, and this is probably Japan only (though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but there's a Pocketstation app for Vita, so you can play Chocobo World on there as well.

Yeah. The Pocketstation app is Japan only.

I don't think all that much of Final Fantasy VIII. But I bought it. Like with Final Fantasy VII, I feel like I want to support Japanese RPGs on Steam.

It also sounds like this port is better than than the Final Fantasy VII re-release. It sounds like they've learned and improved from their last release on Steam. So that's encouraging.

I hope this leads to good things. I also hope they continued to give updates to their ports like they did with Final Fantasy VII's music. That will help improve the quality, fan approval, and sale of this title. And will put it on its way to being the definitive version.

I would like to see this do well so that we can get more Square Enix games, and other Japanese RPGs on Steam. In particular, again, I'd really like to see Final Fantasy IX.

Yoshichan

FFIX would be the only title I wouldn't buy on Steam because of the absolutely unplayable loading times and slow ATB charge.

Bought it. It will be my first time playing it. Not sure when I'll get around to it, but I'm somewhat excited to give it a go.

Is the general consensus that it's a shitty game or a good game? I wasn't a huge follower of the series during the PSX years as I didn't own one.

Blablurn

Bought it. It will be my first time playing it. Not sure when I'll get around to it, but I'm somewhat excited to give it a go.

Is the general consensus that it's a shitty game or a good game? I wasn't a huge follower of the series during the PSX years as I didn't own one.

It's a very good game.

It's an interesting FF game with "difficult" mechanics (they are not brain-dead easy as the job system or Materia in previous games).

The story is very good up to a point then it goes down the shitter.

Incredible soundtrack.

Very much worth playing.

Tiu Neo

Played this game a long time ago. Didn't remember how good it was.

Some pretty cool ideas in this game. Some work well, some not so much.

Falk

that puzzling face
Why is there even an achievement for killing 10,000 monsters

I can't think of an area that even has 4 mobs/encounter consistently

10,000 / 3 * (roughly 45secs per encounter) = about 40 hours of simply just grinding monsters Unless it's playthrough-independant, and even so you're replaying the game a shit ton of times.

Why Square Enix. WHY?

Dunan

As a frequent defender of this game and how its flaws are eminently fixable, if I were redoing this game I would have made many more draw points, and had them give out much more magic.

When you first start the game, it feels like there are three ways to acquire magic (drawing from monsters, drawing from draw points, and refining cards), but drawing from monsters is so much more efficient (though grindy) that it becomes natural to do it that way. The draw points should instantly give you up to 100 of whatever they offer, and should recharge much more quickly.

When I read about Hiroyuki Ito re-positioning and re-assigning a whole bunch of treasure chests in the FF12 Zodiac version, I wondered what he'd do with this game. I suspect it would be more fun with more draw points.

Top Bottom