• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Squire

Banned
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Not even Bravely Default's CE unboxing was this awkward and uncomfortable, and Nintendo was doing that. ATLUS always does that sort of thing best though. They care about the fans and just have better PR/marketing overall.

Very true.

pariah164

So excited. This is a piece if my childhood in HD. Blitzball, here I come!

* Dibs on the Rikku Avatar if still unused
Can I just say I hated the Blitzball minigame in FFX? If there's a trophy for it, I am not Platinuming this game. I like Sphere Break so much more.

Valnen

Can I just say I hated the Blitzball minigame in FFX? If there's a trophy for it, I am not Platinuming this game. I like Sphere Break so much more.

You're not getting a platinum, one of the trophies is to get all the celestial weapons. Meaning you need to play Blitzball for Wakka's weapon.

pariah164

You're not getting a platinum, one of the trophies is to get all the celestial weapons. Meaning you need to play Blitzball for Wakka's weapon.
Fine by me! I never got all the Celestial Weapons in the PS2 version. Mainly since Tidus' and Wakka's are both pains in the ass to get.

A few Wikia editors have already captured screenshots directly from the game. The PS3 version does indeed appear to be full 1080p, but at a cost: no anti-aliasing.

Damn, after the PS2 version I was looking forward to playing this without any visible aliasing. Oh well, you can't have everything...

RedSwirl

Goddamn. This actually looks like a not-lazy HD port job. Just looking at that makes me want to get it even if I'm never actually going to beat the game again. How good is X2? I never played that.

If they can get me FFXII with the same quality I am down like a goddamn clown.

Valnen

Damn, after the PS2 version I was looking forward to playing this without any visible aliasing. Oh well, you can't have everything...

I'm pretty happy for 1080p. Aliasing on a PS3 game is pretty much a given, there's always going to be some because they only ever use shitty AA methods on consoles. I'd rather resolution get pushed above all else, being below native res on an LCD screen hurts image quality more than anything else.

There's also two other trophies reltated to Blitzball (winning a game and winning a tournament), so yeah, no platinum if no Blitzball.

RedSwirl

And before I forget, I whipped this up about a year ago. Click on the link to download a printable cover. I can't remember if I did a Vita version but if I haven't I guess I'll get on it. Someone else may have already.

That's funny, I loved Blitz ball on FFX. I think i must of spend a LOT of time on that damn mini-game, heh. I also remember hating certain teams when I was getting my team's stats up... >.>

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I want that Platinum but fuck that Chocobo racing bullshit.

...unless the trophy is *merely* getting the Celestial weapons but *not* upgrading it?

Since I love Blitzball and 200 lightning bolt didn't bother me.

I am looking forward to this game but you just reminded me of that damn mini-game.... I completely forgot about that absurd luck-based mini-game. God I hated that race... I will complete it but.... I am NOT looking forward to it.

pariah164

Same, though I wouldn't mind FFX being my first. I kind of want my first platinum to be on a truly epic game.
Fair enough, but...

...unless the trophy is *merely* getting the Celestial weapons but *not* upgrading it?

Since I love Blitzball and 200 lightning bolt didn't bother me.
Yeah, the 200 lightning bolts didn't bug me. I did it in 15 bolt spurts, taking a five minute break between each.

Also, that cover is gorgeous. Please let there be a PSVita version.

BukoNuTz

Banned
That's funny, I loved Blitz ball on FFX. I think i must of spend a LOT of time on that damn mini-game, heh. I also remember hating certain teams when I was getting my team's stats up... >.>

I think wwe're the minority here. I enjoy blitzball as well. I think it's because I recruited a really good goalie, that's why blitzball is really easy for me.

Fair enough, but...

Yeah, the 200 lightning bolts didn't bug me. I did it in 15 bolt spurts, taking a five minute break between each.

Also, that cover is gorgeous. Please let there be a PSVita version.

I tried to count the lightning bolts as I was going, but somewhere over 100 dodges, I lost track, and just kept going as long as I could. I ended up dodging like 600~ lightning bolts in a row just to make sure I had enough. lol

sensui-tomo

i'm probably in the minority, but i'd rather do the chocobo race 10 times than ever do that dodge lightning / butterfly thing, yes and i probably could do it perfectly those 10 times after trying the game again 3 times (i did the race enough times to be able to do it for friends on the go, problem is i need those 3 trys before i get completely in the game)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
ugh another disc in the artbook, that is seriously the stupidest design choice that has to stop happening.

yup. That's why I didn't preorder I don't want the hideous oversized "artbook packaging". Just like Kingdom Hearts 1.5, I'll wait for stores to get the regular edition

pariah164

I tried to count the lightning bolts as I was going, but somewhere over 100 dodges, I lost track, and just kept going as long as I could. I ended up dodging like 600~ lightning bolts in a row just to make sure I had enough. lol
I always lost count too, doing it that way. That's what started my 15 bolt spurts.

pariah164

If I do decide to actually try and Plat this game...

Any tips for Blitzball/Chocobo Racing? I just sucked monkey balls for nickels at both those minigames.

Sean*O

Looking at those I started hearing the music from the game in my head. I'm so damn bummed that they changed the whole friggin OST. I'm still buying this, begrudgingly, because it looks great and in hopes they will offer the original sound track at some point (soon) as DLC. I think there has been enough outcry from fans that SE should listen.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I always hated the butterfly catching more than the lightning dodging or Chocobo races.

Yeah, well, since it's for Kimahri and he sucks for fighting those ultra-hard bosses anyways so it didn't bother me much.

But Tidus is pivotal (although I guess not *strictly* necessary) with his overdrives being one of the best to those fights and that's why Chocobo Racing is a pain in the ass.

So cringeworthy. I see SE has the whole "plastic marketing people" thing down perfectly. And the bit about the shirts? Ugh.

http://youtu.be/yLqDh-Ga_Io

what the fuck lol these chumps make Toys R Us look professional

If I do decide to actually try and Plat this game...

Any tips for Blitzball/Chocobo Racing? I just sucked monkey balls for nickels at both those minigames.

Get
Brother
on your team. You'll never lose again

B.K.

For Blitzball, score a point, then hide being your goal the rest of the game with the ball. The opponent AI doesn't know what to do if you go behind your own goal.

For Blitzball, score a point, then hide being your goal the rest of the game with the ball. The opponent AI doesn't know what to do if you go behind your own goal.

I hope they didn't fix this AI flaw in the HD Remaster. It's how I used to cheese all blitzball games because of how lazy I was. Just score once, hide in goal until game ends. Repeat until you've won everything.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well, i haven't gotten a Platinum on ANY game so far, so why start now?

My ultimate goal will probably platinum all non-MMO FF games.

RedSwirl

Looking at those I started hearing the music from the game in my head. I'm so damn bummed that they changed the whole friggin OST. I'm still buying this, begrudgingly, because it looks great and in hopes they will offer the original sound track at some point (soon) as DLC. I think there has been enough outcry from fans that SE should listen.

What did they do to the OST?

Never had a problem with the chocobo racing game. Had to do it for several friends save files. Was terrible at blitzball though!

ubercheez

So, wait. Is the limited edition a normal game case or not? I don't want a stupid artbook case. I only ordered the limited edition because the normal edition's cover is godawful.

OmegaDL50

What did they do to the OST?

They replaced most of the PS2 midi-based synth for the non streamed audio tracks with different samples.

The original FFX does have streamed audio with live recordings for 10+ tracks though. For some reason, To Zanarkand wasn't one of them. (Yes the Piano intro from FFX wasn't real piano but rather basically PSF-based midi synthesis instead of a live piano recording)

Based on the Besaid and Battle themes, the remasters seem to mostly be using VSTis and only a few live instruments, but today's high-end samples and soundsets are so much better than the almost 15 years old PS2 chip's soundsets.

Some people will dislike the changes, some of it due to nolstalgia, others simply the inherent dislike of change because change period.

For me though, being a regular user of FL Studio, Impulse Tracker and other music creation software, I like the fact they went to the effort of revising and using higher quality samples used for FFX, instead of just recording the original samples to mpeg / wav and just slapping them on the disc as is.

Although I suppose for some the option of having the original would be nice for those who want the choice to swap between the two.

Even if the original audio was to be included in mpeg form, I don't think disc space is an issue in this case.

I mean FFX was 3.4GB, so lets add an extra 10GB to account for revised textures and soundtrack, so that is 13.4GB right there

And FFX-2 was 2.8GB and without a remaster soundtrack and just revised textures, lets guesstimate at about 10GB (We need to still consider the original music is no longer 300kb midi but now in wave form so that will bump up the file size)

Even factoring 23.4GB (24GB going by info listed earlier in the thread.) for both games with higher res textures, and mpeg audio soundtracks, Bluray has a 50GB capacity. Space is a non-issue and they could have included the the original FFX audio easily.

ZeroX03

Banned
Even factoring 23.4GB (24GB going by info listed earlier in the thread.) for both games with higher res textures, and mpeg audio soundtracks, Bluray has a 50GB capacity. Space is a non-issue and they could have included the the original FFX audio easily.

You factoring in Vita too?

Falk

that puzzling face
Considering Lightning Returns had giant DLC for different VO (gigantic because CGI cutscenes) and Drakengard is getting the same, I don't think disc space would ever be an issue.

Personally prefer the new soundtrack myself, but if Square Enix pulled something like that out of their hat for the classic OST it'd be quite an awesome gesture.

It's been months since the JP release though, so my secret hopes have been slowly ground into the dirt. :(

Jubern

I'm going for the Vita version mainly because I just don't have enough down time home to play all the games I'm getting this month (LR, then South Park and MGS) while I have tons of free time at work where I'm free to do anything... But I'd really like to play this on a big screen :(

The new remastered soundtrack is rather hit or miss. Some tracks like Silence before the Storm are good but others...nope. I will grow to appreciate it but the original still sounds better.

sensui-tomo

I'm deciding not to buy this for one reason: I just don't think I can go through Evrae, Seymour Flux, Yunalesca, and Braska's Final Aeon ever agian. I sucked at FFX boss fights.

Maybe if I can get X2 by itself on PSN and it turns out to be a really great game (I've never played it) AND it's in 1080p.
You're probably gonna have to buy the entire collection, as there is no word on there being a separate release for the games(the only way this happened in japan was with the vita units and that was retail only) and if you were gonna get just the vita version... i'm no expert but it wont be in 1080p and you'll have to buy a digital code off here or ebay(or wherever people do that) and just for kicks, those bosses arent nothing compared to the Dark aeons XD.
Now if SE was smart, they would do what Bandai Namco did for the Tales of Symphonia collection and sell both games separately without ever telling anyone, but seeing as its SE i highly doubt that they could come to a smart realization such as that.

Top Bottom