• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

CGI trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3Z_xQxeZY#t=24

I dont think they did any change to the CGI did they?

It looks like they probably originally rendered the CGs in higher resolution and then downscaled them for the PS2. The CG is clearly higher resolution than what I saw on PS2. The fact that the CGs are cropped to fit the 16:9 frame implies they couldn't go back and re-render them or they could fix the framing of shots. Whatever source they had is what they used though.

SirNinja

Wonder how the cutscenes look in the Vita version.

They look very nice, if this and other videos are any indication. (Watch that on a Vita if you want to really see how it looks and plays.)

For a game they managed to squeeze onto a ~3.5 GB card, the videos are surprisingly not very compressed. I'm very glad the Vita version wasn't treated like an afterthought, as it's probably where I'll be playing these two games the most.

Erigu

It never looked remotely that good or clear in the original game's 512x416 res.
That doesn't necessarily mean they re-rendered them. And I'm pretty sure they didn't.

It looks like they probably originally rendered the CGs in higher resolution and then downscaled them for the PS2.
I remember that there initially were plans for two different versions of the game, a regular one, and a 2-disc one with better graphics.

EDIT:
http://archive.thegia.com/news/0101/n26d.html
http://archive.thegia.com/news/0104/n16a.html
http://archive.thegia.com/news/0105/n14a.html

Squire

Banned
As can also be seen from the other two screenshots, the colors and contrast have also been improved quite a bit; the CG scenes aren't as washed-out as they were. It's easier to spot the difference in a scene with warm colors, such as Yuna's introduction:

Oh man, yes. The color was the only thing that ever stood out to me with the CG scenes. Excellent.

Flandy

Sort of relevant if you're buying the digital version.
6010.png

Vitanimus

Debating whether I should go with the Expert Sphere Grid. I think I tried it many years ago and I only just got Haste on Tidus when I got to the Calm Lands... severely underleveled. What're the main advantages of the Expert Sphere Grid? Just the extended customization?

Aurizen

Lately stuff ships out for me Sunday/Monday night, but I'm guessing they just have a facility REALLY close to me.

is there a chance people would get it Monday? I have a facility in Delaware not sure if there is one in Philadelphia where I live.

I'm hoping the games now have a full multichannel sound mix too. I know that X-2 had support for a DD5.1 output for its CGs at the Sphere Theater but the game itself only support stereo. X only had a stereo mix IIRC.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
is there a chance people would get it Monday? I have a facility in Delaware not sure if there is one in Philadelphia where I live.

There's one in Allentown.
Typically they ship so it arrives on release day. Since I am an hour from Allentown often my order ships Monday night and I get it on Tuesday.

SirNinja

That doesn't necessarily mean they re-rendered them. And I'm pretty sure they didn't.

I remember that there initially were plans for two different versions of the game, a regular one, and a 2-disc one with better graphics.

Yeah, that might be right. It never occurred to me that they originally rendered the movies in higher-res then downscaled them, but that definitely sounds plausible. In any case: with these remasters, we'll be seeing them in better quality than they've ever been seen before, and they look great.

My hype is already too high as it is, why are you torturing me like this?! This looks freaking amazing!

Haha, sorry. :p Just five more days!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm hoping the games now have a full multichannel sound mix too. I know that X-2 had support for a DD5.1 output for its CGs at the Sphere Theater but the game itself only support stereo. X only had a stereo mix IIRC.

I think the Japanese version of X on PS2 did have a DD5.1 in the Sphere Theater... I remember being pissed they removed it for the US version.

Sean*O

Back of Japanese box says LPCM 2.0. Darn I was hoping they would have put everything in a 5.1 mix since they remade the music.

Falk

that puzzling face
I really wish Japanese devs would start experimenting with 5.1 for the soundtracks themselves. Sure it's a niche market in comparison but the experience is simply next-level incomparable.

LEAD THE CHARGE, SQUARE

AmanoBuff

Sorry if this hasn't already been answered but has there been an technical analysis of the Vita version?

I know its not native res but is it known what exact resolution its running at?

This is as far as a technical analysis on the Vita version as I could find. Pretty thorough and well written.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/game...-hd-remaster-vita-out-now-impressio-31005418/

Also, here's my short review of the Japanese Vita version if you'd like to read it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748841

Wonder how the cutscenes look in the Vita version. dat small size

They look very nice, if this and other videos are any indication. (Watch that on a Vita if you want to really see how it looks and plays.)

For a game they managed to squeeze onto a ~3.5 GB card, the videos are surprisingly not very compressed. I'm very glad the Vita version wasn't treated like an afterthought, as it's probably where I'll be playing these two games the most.

Yes, they look simply stunning on the Vita screen. I'm also very surprised they managed to squeeze all that content and CGs in just 3.5 GB. Makes me salivate just thinking about what they could do with FFXII.

As for that YouTube video. It looks great, but believe me, its only 7 out of 10 when compared to how good the game really looks on the Vita OLED.

Quoting myself from my own review:

Cutscenes and CGs transition completely smoothly (CGs have been cropped, but aside that, they look particularly good), which is remarkable. It's just instantaneous and really help the story flow without hiccups. Perhaps this is not such a big deal for some, but for someone who used to to experience extremely long load times for these on the PS2 era, this improvement is eye-opening.

Other than that, every little detail from the PS2 version has transitioned beautifully to the small screen with the upgraded visuals. There are exceptions of course, especially when it comes to some of the game's temples and almost all NPCs, which sometimes look like they didn't work on them at all. Also some of the faces might get some time getting used to, specially Tidus with his new, enormous eyes and Rikku's.

And of course, needless to say, the game's colors just pop and are a joy to behold on the OLED screen. The game's amazingly varied color palette was made for this screen.

To get a general idea of how the game looks and runs, take a look at this YouTube video (has already been posted a few times).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rrhcog0ZHk

It does a fairly good job at showing how smooth the game runs. HOWEVER, the video is not too sharp. Even playing it on your Vita in HD via the YouTube app doesn't do the game justice on how sharp it looks.

To get a better idea of this, play the video on your Vita as mentioned above (in HD). I'd say that video scores about 6.5 or 7 out of 10 on representing how sharp and detailed the game really looks on Vita.

My hype is already too high as it is, why are you torturing me like this?! This looks freaking amazing!

Playing the actual game on a Vita is actually way more impressive than how that video looks.
Sorry for hyping you even more. Just 5 more days.

OmegaDL50

I never knew there was an Amazon distribution center in Allentown. Being a resident of Philadelphia myself makes me hope that my copy is also shipped accordingly for it's arrival on release day.

Anyways, I would like to talk about two specific changes that effected the International edition of FFX, which are now present in the HD Remaster for those that played the original FFX in the US but never experienced the International releases additional content.

I'll wrap everything in spoiler text for those going into this game for the very first time.

No, I'm not talking about the Dark Aeons or Penance, but rather the changes to Anima's overdrive and Omega's HP revision, the boss of the Omega Ruins. In the original game, Anima's Oblivion overdrive hit once and damaged capped at 99,999. However in the International edition, it was changed to 16 hits (similar to Cloud's Omnislash in FF7), which each individual hit for 99,999 leads to a maximum of 1,599,984 damage which helps tremendously for some of the post-game Dark Aeon bosses.

As for Omega, for a post-game optional boss, he was surprisingly very weak in the original FFX, I'm assuming the developers recognized this issue and corrected most of his flaws, since he only had 100,000 HP which meant he could be effectively defeated in 2 to 3 character turns. the biggest change for Omega in FFX:I was his HP was boosted by ten times giving him 1 million HP, and he absorbs all elemental damage, his magic defense was also boosted from 20 in FFX to 80 in FFX:I, meaning even relying on non-elemental damage spells like Ultima or Flare were also less effective.

Omega is usually the first major challenge most post-game players undertake after the main story, so I hope you enjoy his new boosted power and added challenge.

OmegaDL50

I left my microscope at home :(

Hahaha.

Really though, even if I squinted I can't read it, the fonts are too small! What does it say?

It says

"It is my understanding it will run through the day like most previous promos of it's type, good question"

Also a tip if you are a Windows OS user, holding the control key and pressing + will magnify your screens text and - will shrink everything. You can use this trick read fine print, and hard to read text on many webpages. I hope you find it useful.

I never knew there was an Amazon distribution center in Allentown. Being a resident of Philadelphia myself makes me hope that my copy is also shipped accordingly for it's arrival on release day.

Anyways, I would like to talk about two specific changes that effected the International edition of FFX, which are now present in the HD Remaster for those that played the original FFX in the US but never experienced the International releases additional content.

I'll wrap everything in spoiler text for those going into this game for the very first time.

No, I'm not talking about the Dark Aeons or Penance, but rather the changes to Anima's overdrive and Omega's HP revision, the boss of the Omega Ruins. In the original game, Anima's Oblivion overdrive hit once and damaged capped at 99,999. However in the International edition, it was changed to 16 hits (similar to Cloud's Omnislash in FF7), which each individual hit for 99,999 leads to a maximum of 1,599,984 damage which helps tremendously for some of the post-game Dark Aeon bosses.

As for Omega, for a post-game optional boss, he was surprisingly very weak in the original FFX, I'm assuming the developers recognized this issue and corrected most of his flaws, since he only had 100,000 HP which meant he could be effectively defeated in 2 to 3 character turns. the biggest change for Omega in FFX:I was his HP was boosted by ten times giving him 1 million HP, and he absorbs all elemental damage, his magic defense was also boosted from 20 in FFX to 80 in FFX:I, meaning even relying on non-elemental damage spells like Ultima or Flare were also less effective.

Omega is usually the first major challenge most post-game players undertake after the main story, so I hope you enjoy his new boosted power and added challenge.

Thanks for the info. Since I'm from the US, I never got to experience all that extra content - I'm pretty excited. That might have been why I never really felt the need to max the sphere grid on any of the characters in the original FFX.

Aurizen

Yeah! I hope I can get it a day early :) Tomorrow and Saturday I hope it will be shipped.

I hope they do bring a challenge post game, I'll fight sin after I do most of the end game content.

Flandy

Are both guaranteed to be digital for NA next Tuesday?
Vita is as are all Vita games. Have no clue about the PS3 version. Don't think it's getting a digital version but I could be wrong

This is as far as a technical analysis on the Vita version as I could find. Pretty thorough and well written.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/game...-hd-remaster-vita-out-now-impressio-31005418/

Also, here's my short review of the Japanese Vita version if you'd like to read it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748841

Yes, they look simply stunning on the Vita screen. I'm also very surprised they managed to squeeze all that content and CGs in just 3.5 GB. Makes me salivate just thinking about what they could do with FFXII.

As for that YouTube video. It looks great, but believe me, its only 7 out of 10 when compared to how good the game really looks on the Vita OLED.

Quoting myself from my own review:

Playing the actual game on a Vita is actually way more impressive than how that video looks.
Sorry for hyping you even more. Just 5 more days.

:lol "It's mostly the same...well, mostly. So it is a shame that there is no option to disable or skip tutorials (come to think of it you can't skip cutscenes either. Don't worry, you'll beat Yunalesca first time...probably)."

Consider me hyped again. Picked up 2 $20 PSN in preparation just before I saw your post. Can't wait :D

Preordered the Vita version on PSN today. Now I have to figure how to get 7GB of space on my memory card :/
You could always play one at a time. They're pretty long games after all.

Frazley

Vita is as are all Vita games. Have no clue about the PS3 version. Don't think it's getting a digital version

Thanks, preordered the PS3 to be safe. Didn't feel like buying the Vita physical when X-2 is digital. My 64GB card is coming!

Ugh, I wish we had a definite answer on separate FFX/x-2 purchases...though at this point I might as well just get the physical Vita cart.

Already getting the PS3 version...

redhairedking

I'm really torn on which version to buy. I'm not a fan of X-2 being digital only on the vita, but I've heard bad things about upscaled graphics on the PS3 release. I find myself playing handhelds more and more these days, I might just bite the bullet and get the vita version. At least it would motivate me to buy a bigger memory card.

Take pics of the inside and artbook! Whats the disc look like?

Sorry for the wait on more pics of my review copy LE, I've been really slammed with work this week. You guys have all probably seen this stuff by now anyway, but here's the disc, the art book packaging, and the art book itself. For those who have the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 limited edition, this is basically an FF X / X-2 version of that. The art book packaging material is the same, as is the format of the art book itself.

I'm a little disappointed in the art book because it's quite clear in places that the text wasn't proofed or copy edited much (if at all), but I'm probably one of the few people that will bother because I'm a full-time editor. :p The art book should be fine (if a bit small) for people who don't care about stuff like that.

EDIT: Looks like the first image is appearing upside-down, I'm not sure why. I've tried re-uploading it and it's still happening. Oh well, you guys get the idea.

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

I'm really torn on which version to buy. I'm not a fan of X-2 being digital only on the vita, but I've heard bad things about upscaled graphics on the PS3 release. I find myself playing handhelds more and more these days, I might just bite the bullet and get the vita version. At least it would motivate me to buy a bigger memory card.

Are you sure? It seens the game is 1080p native according to the pitctures of the last page.

pariah164

Seriously. I'd rather get the normal game version because the built in artbook is terrible
I never expected to be so damn annoyed with it, but clearly, I am.

It wouldn't be a problem if the artbook was the same size as a PS3 case, but nope it has to stick out on my shelf.
Fair enough; guess that's why Code of Princess' OST in the artbook didn't bug me so much.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hype is rising :)

while i replayed FF12 late last year, it's been almost half a decade since I've touched FFX (even longer in case of X-2).

This should be a glorious return to form :)

SirNinja

Preordered the Vita version on PSN today.

Nice! I wish the preorder would show up on the North American store. That "spend $60, get $10 credit" promo they have going on is tempting.

It wouldn't be a problem if the artbook was the same size as a PS3 case, but nope it has to stick out on my shelf.

The problem I tend to have with those things is that the disc is so hard to get out. I felt like I was going to break the Kingdom Hearts I.5 disc when I got my copy.

Oh god don't do this to me

Top Bottom