• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

OmegaDL50

Final stretch with Kimahri... Almost... There...

Awesome.

I'm still dreading to do that Butterfly game in Macalania forest. I did the Lightning, Chocobo, and Cactuar nonsense, but the Butterflies always give me the most trouble.

You'd think playing the game so many times, I'd manage to come up with an effective strategy to do it properly by now, but no, the wierd camera angles and near impossible to see butterflies, on top of a strict time limit makes the game tedious.

I can't imagine the nightmare that game must be like on the Vita's small screen.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The only word for what Dark Valefor just did to me as I waltzed into Besaid, is pwned. He literally pwned me. Sonic Wings, Phoenix Down, Energy Ray, Dead.

ramyeon

Awesome.

I'm still dreading to do that Butterfly game in Macalania forest. I did the Lightning, Chocobo, and Cactuar nonsense, but the Butterflies always give me the most trouble.
Butterflies were no doubt the easiest and least time consuming for me, funnily enough.

I nearly broke into a sweat against *late game spoiler*
Yunalesca
knowing I'd have to sit through that long cut scene again if I got wiped. Thank god I pulled through and now have my
airship
finally. It took way longer for this game to open up than I thought it would (at least compared to FFIV, the only other one I've played). Is this the beginning of more linear FFs or something?
Kinda sorta. It's the end of the overworld. But it's still a million times better than XIII in this regard.

daoster

So, I'm running back to Besaid after I defeated
(Spherimorph)
and I seem to be stuck at the Mushroom Rock area...The aftermath of the battle there seems to have blocked my passage to the next area...

Did I try to head back too soon? Cause if so...ARRGH

OmegaDL50

I always liked the interaction in battle when characters use skills on each other and stuff.

9Wpmx2R.jpg

It's like Wakka's saying "What are you lookin' at, ya?"

Arthea

So, I'm running back to Besaid after I defeated
(Spherimorph)
and I seem to be stuck at the Mushroom Rock area...The aftermath of the battle there seems to have blocked my passage to the next area...

Did I try to head back too soon? Cause if so...ARRGH

no, it's the right moment. Just look for crates near destroyed machina, when you'll go near to them, you'll go up automatically and to the other side.

BOOM! So fucking done with this game lol
pic

damn you guys are fast, I'm about to enter Zanarkand only, so far from the end yet.
oh and congratulations!

edited: actually as you got all trophies, what are hidden ones about? Story related?

OmegaDL50

When can I get more level 1 spheres? Just heading to the command center for operation mi'hen.

One of the random NPCs on Mi'ihen Highroad gives you one if you talk to them. If you knocked the Chocobo Eater off the cliff during the battle you also get awarded two of them for doing that.

Oh and you should get 6 of them if you Overkill the boss at Operation Mi'ihen you'll be fighting soon, so you might want to get one of Yuna's Summons and a Character prepped with an Overdrive to take advantage of that.

Also be sure to not have any weapons with an Distill effect on it because it converts any drops obtained from enemies into spheres. Just a heads up so you don't lose out on those Key Spheres.

DPtheGod

Gaffers,
I missed the Knight Lance in Bevelle. 1) Can I get another one later? 2) Will it affect anything for me in game?

Thanks guys!

OmegaDL50

Gaffers,
I missed the Knight Lance in Bevelle. 1) Can I get another one later? 2) Will it affect anything for me in game?

Thanks guys!

Nah, as long as you got the box with the Strength Sphere you're in the okay. That weapon is just a bonus for having two spheres at the end of the trial.

You can make as many of those spears with customization later, so you didn't miss out on anything important.

DPtheGod

Nah, as long as you got the box with the Strength Sphere you're in the okay. That weapon is just a bonus for having two spheres at the end of the trial.

You can make as many of those spears with customization later, so you didn't miss out on anything important.

This is probably a dumb question, but I got an HP Sphere. Is that one the right one? Just wanna be sure lol

Thanks a lot!

One of the random NPCs on Mi'ihen Highroad gives you one if you talk to them. If you knocked the Chocobo Eater off the cliff during the battle you also get awarded two of them for doing that.

Oh and you should get 6 of them if you Overkill the boss at Operation Mi'ihen you'll be fighting soon, so you might want to get one of Yuna's Summons and a Character prepped with an Overdrive to take advantage of that.

Also be sure to not have any weapons with an Distill effect on it because it converts any drops obtained from enemies into spheres. Just a heads up so you don't lose out on those Key Spheres.

Thanks, just got 6 from that boss! Time to get Steal/Use for Kimahri - where should I take him after that?

genbatzu

Awesome.

You'd think playing the game so many times, I'd manage to come up with an effective strategy to do it properly by now, but no, the wierd camera angles and near impossible to see butterflies, on top of a strict time limit makes the game tedious.

I can't imagine the nightmare that game must be like on the Vita's small screen.

I found it waaaaay easier on psvita as back on my ps2. It also helps a lot if you have the map with the butterfly positions next to you, then just run from blue bf to the next one and when you are unsure, on what side of the road to walk, because of red bfs, pause the game and look on the map. did it a lot easier for me and finished it with one try on middle and ~3 tries on north

Falk

that puzzling face
As far as I know you can't miss anything worthwhile in the Bevelle trial. Make sure you nabbed Al Bhed Primer #22 just prior though!

OmegaDL50

Thanks, just got 6 from that boss! Time to get Steal/Use for Kimahri - where should I take him after that?

What kind of role do you want for Kimahri. Because he's in the center of the Grid, you can pretty much take him anywhere.

I usually just have him follow Wakka's or Tidus grid for those Accuracy and Strength spheres making Kimarhi to be a secondary warrior who can also hit flying types and the small quick enemies like the Wolves and such.

He also has a decent Mag stat, so you could also send him down Lulu's path to have another Black Mage (Also most of Kimahri's Overdrives are magic related, so there is that pro as well)

XJF

edited: actually as you got all trophies, what are hidden ones about? Story related?

Thanks, I played the shit out of this game back in the day, so I knew all the tips and tricks to make a time-efficient platinum run.

IIRC ALL the hidden trophies are story related. The only missable trophy is the Al Bhed Primer one which has been mentioned a million times in this thread.

Debating on moving onto X-2 or waiting for a Trophy Guide to pop up... I remember following the vanilla X-2 guide back in the day page-by-page and still not getting all the appropriate Chapter Completes in Chapter 5... Pissed me off..

I can definitely confirm that the Vita res fluctuates. In that small path right after
you exit Macalania Woods after Tidus and Yuna's scene
, the resolution fluctuates from native to subnative. When the map is onscreen, the resolution becomes native. Sadly I didn't take a pic. =( There are other scenes where it's native res but majority of the time it's subnative.

Arthea

Thanks, I played the shit out of this game back in the day, so I knew all the tips and tricks to make a time-efficient platinum run.

IIRC ALL the hidden trophies are story related. The only missable trophy is the Al Bhed Primer one which has been mentioned a million times in this thread.

Debating on moving onto X-2 or waiting for a Trophy Guide to pop up... I remember following the vanilla X-2 guide back in the day page-by-page and still not getting all the appropriate Chapter Completes in Chapter 5... Pissed me off..
ya, it's much faster second time around, I've played it back in the day and did everything too, promising to myself multiple times "never again!" and here I'm doing it again lol
I haven't died single time yet, when I remember first time playing, first encounter with Malboro - dead, with pot in Stolen Fayth temple - dead, etc. It's sorta good to know what's lies ahead but also less entertaining, otoh much faster, I probably took twice as much time to get to Zanarkand first time around (even without going back for Jecht spheres).

I would imagine that X-2 can be harder to 100%. I did my first playthrough without any guide and I managed to do more than 90%. After, I found check list somewhere on internets, that helped me tremendously to see what I missed, it still took me two more playthroughs to get to more than 100%. But with save plus and consequent playtroughs being much shorter, it's easier to get everything missed in X-2 than in X.

I set the dressphere animations to off on the Vita version, but they still happen. :/

as far as I can remember, they supposed to happen if you are switching to dressphere for the first time, not other times. All of them happen every time?

Carbonox

Sorry if you had already done so in the thread but do you mind posting some of your best tips and tricks for time efficiency?

Would be quite useful to keep in mind during my run. I've played enough of the game in the past to know certain things but even now thanks to this thread I'm finding out new information.

Falk

that puzzling face
1) If you're going just after the platinum (and thus willing to cheese), it is not necessary to farm A) luck spheres B) fortune spheres C) magic spheres. This is because you Zanmato everything. Once you get to the point you can comfortably kill Kottos and One Eye, that should be all you need to fill up the rest of the grid with MDEF and activate them. In fact get rid of the existing luck spheres. Filthy abominations.

edit: For 1) obviously you'll need to be able to kill Dark Yojimbo reliably which does necessitate maxed STR and DEF along with 9999 HP. As long as you have armor with DEF20%, Auto-Protect, Auto-Potion, and Stoneward you should be fine. (You'll need a supply of X-Potions too). You basically cast Hastega, feed Wakka Overdrives via Entrust with this strategy and tank everything else while Wakka uses Attack Reels 4 times per encounter. Nothing should ever 1-shot you and you'll counter with X-Potion.

2) If you miss al bhed primers, the only missable, you can load a save from before Bikanel, get them there, then use the Al Bhed consolidation feature to 'import' the missing primers to your save

3) Abuse Blitzball Reset to spend time on as few games as possible. Forfeit league matches once you're sure you'll win the league. Just make sure Wakka is in your 10-of-each-kind hunting party and you should have enough games to make Auroch Reels appear.

edit2: Useful Zanmato maths link: http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=65600&rid=60668 - tl;dr unless you screw up your Yojimbo something hardcore before attempting to use him to Zanmato Dark Aeons/Penance/Nemesis, paying 131,072 per attempt on the superbosses should give you enough of a decent chance at Zanmato assuming a ~128 compatibility rating. If you wanna up the chances, you could raise compatibility on trash mobs, but I honestly don't think it's necessary on the time you spend vs the time you save.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hours could be misleading. For example I leave my PS3 on while sleeping, working, outside, etc.

Yeah it's a bad habit and I'm going to regret it one day. But my clock currently shows 266 hours which is a magnitude of error lol

Arthea

Hours could be misleading. For example I leave my PS3 on while sleeping, working, outside, etc.

Yeah it's a bad habit and I'm going to regret it one day. But my clock currently shows 266 hours which is a magnitude of error lol

not necessary, my first time around doing everything, killing darkies and Penance took me around 200 hours (I haven't maxed grid though, so it can be even longer than that). This time it's going much faster, as I remember most of what's ahead all the time and I run from battles more and play more efficiently, but for first time playing 200 hours is normal in my book, with guide it's probably faster though.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'd say it's if you're willing to grind out luck, fortune and magic spheres (e.g. Zanmato abuse or not) because those alone probably account for 30-35% of total time spent, counting Blitzball and the actual sphere grid grind. This is true regardless how familiar you are with the game.

clem84

Gold Member
Does anyone have a list of the gameplay differences between the original FFX and the remaster? I found out yesterday about the ribbon thing. You couldn't get the ribbon attribute for armors in the original and apparently in this version you can. I googled for this but couldn't find anything. So basically...

- the expert grid
- ribbon attribute

What else?

Arthea

Does anyone have a list of the gameplay differences between the original FFX and the remaster? I found out yesterday about the ribbon thing. You couldn't get the ribbon attribute for armors in the original and apparently in this version you can. I googled for this but couldn't find anything. So basically...

- the expert grid
- ribbon attribute

What else?

you could get it, in international version you could, as expert grid was there too when I played for the first time. Meaning there are no differences from old PAL version that I can see, except graphical and musical ones, of course.
I don't much enjoy differences in music, though, they made it worse, unfortunately.

Prototype

Even though I'm just playing for nostalgia using a guide is killing me, I thought it would just make it faster, but it's boring. I'm still not very far into the game (still in chapter 1) and only have done a few missions, but I'm going the rest of the game without. I don't care about 100% or missable items, except:

iirc, there are 2 dresspsheres that you can miss, darknight & something else, don't remember. If someone could just tell me when and where those are, that would be great. Other then those 2 items, I just want to have fun. Really enjoying the battle system .

SirNinja

- the expert grid
- ribbon attribute

What else?

I assume you're asking for the differences between the original and International versions of FFX. In addition to what you listed:

• There are a few new moves (Distill Strength/Speed/Magic/Ability, Nab Gil, Full Break, etc.) Weapons with a Distill Strength/Speed/Magic/Ability effect can also drop from various enemies.
  • The Dark Aeons have been added; they show up in various locations near the end of the story and are extremely powerful enemies. Beating them all unlocks the superboss Penance.
  • Some Aeons' Overdrives were tweaked. Anima's Oblivion now hits 16 times instead of just one, for example
  • The optional boss Omega weapon now has 10x the HP it had in the original release.
  • Some moves have had their MP cost changed; e.g., Quick Hit now costs 36 instead of 12.

I think that about covers it. FFX-2 International also added a TON of new things.

Shahadan

Sorry for the noob question, but is there a way to backup digital saves on vita even if the game is deleted? Apparently you can do it on a PC but I would rather have the save somewhere on my memory card.

Tiamant

Even though I'm just playing for nostalgia using a guide is killing me, I thought it would just make it faster, but it's boring. I'm still not very far into the game (still in chapter 1) and only have done a few missions, but I'm going the rest of the game without. I don't care about 100% or missable items, except:

iirc, there are 2 dresspsheres that you can miss, darknight & something else, don't remember. If someone could just tell me when and where those are, that would be great. Other then those 2 items, I just want to have fun. Really enjoying the battle system .

If you're not careful you can miss
Dark Knight
Trainer
Alchemist
and of course the dreaded
Mascot

You can miss a lot of garment grids though.

Tiamant

I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled then i guess!

And by being careful I mean choosing that answer and not THAT one when talking to a certain npc, talking twice to another character or just don't believe the game when it says "mission complete" because trust me, it isn't.

On the last fight with sin but i want to do side stuff before it. Since the dark aeons are too powerful and prevent me from upgrading the celestial weapons im not sure what to do. The goal is to plat the game.

Prototype

And by being careful I mean choosing that answer and not THAT one when talking to a certain npc, talking twice to another character or just don't believe the game when it says "mission complete" because trust me, it isn't.

I've played the game before, spoilers are of no concern to me. I will end up looking for the moments in the story for the missable spheres.

Holmes

Completed everyone's sphere grid, but Perfect Sphere Grid Master didn't pop. I know who the culprit is - Yuna's defense is at 253, not 255. Now to find the rogue defense sphere...

Shahed

How long did it take everyone to get the weapons of One Eye? I'm killing him with Banshing Blade, Blitz Ace and Attack Reels so he dies without taking a turn. With all theee on Victor a quick fight against a Dingo and back One Eye seems pretty quick. Can't think of a way to do it faster.

But I keep getting armours off him, with only the one weapon. Does it matter if they are 1 slot free instead of two?

ZeroX03

Banned
How long did it take everyone to get the weapons of One Eye? I'm killing him with Banshing Blade, Blitz Ace and Attack Reels so he dies without taking a turn. With all theee on Victor a quick fight against a Dingo and back One Eye seems pretty quick. Can't think of a way to do it faster.

But I keep getting armours off him, with only the one weapon. Does it matter if they are 1 slot free instead of two?

Use Slice and Dice instead of Blitz Ace, Blitz Ace does lower damage as the enemy's defense gets higher. I used a single Slice and Dice to kill him repeatedly.

Took about 25 kills for me to get a weapon for each character. One slot free should be fine, that's Triple AP + Overdrive -> AP. The Double/Triple Overdrive just speeds things up, but you have to farm a few as you only get 3 of each from Arena item gifts.

Shahed

Use Slice and Dice instead of Blitz Ace, Blitz Ace does lower damage as the enemy's defense gets higher. I used a single Slice and Dice to kill him repeatedly.

Took about 25 kills for me to get a weapon for each character. One slot free should be fine, that's Triple AP + Overdrive -> AP. The Double/Triple Overdrive just speeds things up, but you have to farm a few as you only get 3 of each from Arena item gifts.
Thanks. At the moment all I really want are at least thecones for Tidus and Wakka since they are my damage dealers. I'm only just about strong enough for One Eye. Yuna would be nice to give her Aeons a boost

Top Bottom