• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My 5yo son made me laugh recently while playing FFX.

He kept hearing Tidus talk and then he told me that he has a similar voice to Sonic's.

He made me laugh so hard because it isn't far from the truth.

Now he asks me to play the game with the blonde guy with the same voice as Sonic's.

Never thought about that when played the game 10 years ago.
Well how many Sonic games had voice acting 10 years ago?

Your son is correct though, now that I think about it.

Jisgsaw

I just started this game and got a game over within the first 5 minutes of battling. (in X)

What.

Now I have to go through everything again

This... is quite impressive, congrats.
But yeah, the inability to pass cutscenes is a serious oversight.

Was we suppose to get Yuna Spira Summoner DLC Costume if we preorder X HD or did we have to preorder LR?

You mean the Lightning costume? I think that is if you get LR. I pre-ordered HD Remaster and got no vouchers.

Well how many Sonic games had voice acting 10 years ago?

Your son is correct though, now that I think about it.
I assume you mean Jason Griffith. James Arnold Taylor does kind of sound like Jason now that I think about it.

Edit: Fun fact, Tidus and Ratchet have the same VA.

The first guy who 100%d x-2 alone back in the day deserves a fucking medal. There are so many bullshit missables that add to your % its ridiculous.

I have a close friend who has always refused to use strategy guides. He told me it took over 600 hours to 100% X-2 without any assistance. A lot of that was extensive trial and error, probably 3-4 late game resets, and reverse calibrating towers.

Pretty sure X-2 single handily made him quit playing video games.

Luigi87

9Vo5oqA.jpg
So many others have already done it, but it is so liberating to get that.
Now to finish the story.

MicH

Hm? I got a code for the Lightning Yuna costume with my LE of the game

Also, what is up with Tidus' eyes in this game. They freak me out

Oh my goodness, who's bright idea was it to design
Sin's Nuceleus
that way? I spent 30 minutes
walking around dodging crystal stalagmites and collecting crystal orb things while the camera spins so damn slowly
only to be greeted by a boss I couldn't save before. What the hell!?

ubercheez

Got to the Calm Lands last night and settled in for some side quests. Got through all the chocobo training and actually felt like playing the race for a while. And magically, I managed to get the Sun Sigil. One less thing to worry about later!

Now, the lightning dodging is another story. I still haven't broken double digits on that damned thing.

It's really really hard to go back to spammy ATB after the bliss of X's awesome battle system, but otherwise X-2 seems pretty fun so far. I suppose I should just level up dresspheres that feel right to me, or is there something I absolutely should know when building characters (like, white/black mage are probably pretty darn useful)? I don't care about 100%.

Narcosis

Over a decade after the game's release, I wonder how many people still don't know that the person singing in that video isn't actually Yuna. (Or that the rest of the game is so much better than the opening movie.)

It's like the secret hidden in plain sight: FFX-2 has some of the best gameplay in the history of FF, but the J-pop and silliness turns so many away before they discover that fact.

Jisgsaw

It's really really hard to go back to spammy ATB after the bliss of X's awesome battle system

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one not a fan of ATB.
Kinda makes me reluctant to play some older FFs I haven't played yet.

It's like the secret hidden in plain sight: FFX-2 has some of the best gameplay in the history of FF, but the J-pop and silliness turns so many away before they discover that fact.

To a (far) lesser extend, the same thing happens with FF13&sequels.
The battle gameplay is actually pretty good.

Just finished the game. I started crying, I don't know why, but something really made me cry like a little girl.
I've seen the ending a dozen times now but I've never felt like crying before. What a game, damn.
I don't even know what to say. Truly amazing, that ending wow.

I feel like I should platinum this game even though I don't really have the time or the urge to do it, but I feel like I owe it to the game. It's kinda hard to explain, really, but if someone'd see my Trophies and it's not 100%... I don't know. It's really weird! :D

Anyways, I'll atleast do the Omega Ruins and Tidus' and Rikkus' Celestials. Might even try X-2, I'll see, just felt like sharing this with someone, haha. :D

Seda

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one not a fan of ATB.
Kinda makes me reluctant to play some older FFs I haven't played yet.

I'm definitely not too much of a fan of ATB either, however, X-2 is the best implementation of it and with the job system - I do enjoy the battle system here.

SirNinja

Oh my goodness, who's bright idea was it to design
Sin's Nuceleus
that way? I spent 30 minutes
walking around dodging crystal stalagmites and collecting crystal orb things while the camera spins so damn slowly
only to be greeted by a boss I couldn't save before. What the hell!?

The key to that area is to just keep still. Move only when you see a light forming underneath you, or when there's an item crystal nearby (don't try for something that's too far away, because the items disappear very quickly). That's really all there is to it.

Also, there's a very good reason there aren't any save spheres after the Point of No Return.

Jisgsaw

I'm definitely not too much of a fan of ATB either, however, X-2 is the best implementation of it and with the job system - I do enjoy the battle system here.

Didn't get very far into the game (FFV), but isn't FFX-2 gameplay a carbon copy of FFV's ?

Anyway yeah, I'm actually surprised to see I'm looking forward to be done with FFX's platinum to be able to play FFX-2.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I can't get the Celestial Mirror. I have the Cloudy Mirror, I went a reunited the family, the the boy runs off, supposedly to the intersection, and instead, the women is there. And she won't move.

Ironjam

It's really really hard to go back to spammy ATB after the bliss of X's awesome battle system, but otherwise X-2 seems pretty fun so far. I suppose I should just level up dresspheres that feel right to me, or is there something I absolutely should know when building characters (like, white/black mage are probably pretty darn useful)? I don't care about 100%.

Yea generally just get whatever you want, you can easily max out 3 dresspheres/character without grinding.

However some are broken, like Psychic.
It has fire/water/lightning/ice/gravity absorb, can stop time for 10 seconds, can teleport behind enemies for double damage and can make itseld invincibly against magic/phys or both. Give it ribbon and use white magic with it and you will never die, ever.

Seda

Didn't get very far into the game, but isn't FFX-2 gameplay a carbon copy of FFV's ?

Anyway yeah, I'm actually surprised to see I'm looking forward to be done with FFX's platinum to be able to play FFX-2.

Not quite but certainly similar. Changing jobs mid battle with the garment grids is probably the most significant difference: you don't just set up a class combo to approach each battle, you can mix things up as you go. There's also an element of timing involved with several skills where you can affect the enemy's ATB gauge to a more significant effect than you could in FFV, a tad Grandia-esqe. It's also a bit faster too.

Jisgsaw

Not quite but certainly similar. Changing jobs mid battle with the garment grids is probably the most significant difference: you don't just set up a class combo to approach each battle, you can mix things up as you go. There's also an element of timing involved with several skills where you can affect the enemy's ATB gauge to a more significant effect than you could in FFV, a tad Grandia-esqe. It's also a bit faster too.

Yeah, thank god for that.

Bladelaw

Just finished the game. I started crying, I don't know why, but something really made me cry like a little girl.
I've seen the ending a dozen times now but I've never felt like crying before. What a game, damn.

I feel like I should platinum this game even though I don't really have the time or the urge to do it, but I feel like I owe it to the game. It's kinda hard to explain, really, but if someone'd see my Trophies and it's not 100%... I don't know. It's really weird! :D

Anyways, I'll atleast do the Omega Ruins and Tidus' and Rikkus' Celestials. Might even try X-2, I'll see, just felt like sharing this with someone, haha. :D

There were a couple parts where I just lost it the first time. I'm curious if it'll happen again.
Specifically
Tidas' ghost hug/leap into Jecht high Five. Yuna whistling at the dock, and her ending speech. The whistling was the worst. My dad showed my brother and I how to whistle like that if we ever got lost and seeing it used for the same effect just crushed me.

The feels, there are many.

To a (far) lesser extend, the same thing happens with FF13&sequels.
The battle gameplay is actually pretty good.

I came to appreciate FF13's combat quite a lot despite its ATB-ness. Paradigm shifting kept me engaged without having to juggle three characters individually, and without going to the extremes of XII's code-your-own-AI-and-press-X combat.

I had finished it before, I knew exactly what would happen and I still had to wipe my eyes a few times. It's a really well executed story.

HeelPower

I completely agree.

I don't give a shit about trophies.Never got a platinum actually because I think trophies are tedious.

But this time I feel a strong urge to do it in this particular game. :)

squall211

Yes.

However, you can mitigate it bu just realizing that you should only use the left and right buttons of the dpad gently. It really helped me out a lot.

It's also mostly luck based due to the random placements of the balloons.

Yep. It took a while until I finally realized that there is absolutely no need to hold up on the d pad at all, or to hold left/right very hard.

Croc

Banned
Oh shit. I'm trying to do Lightning Dancer right now and using that trick at the crater where lightning always strikes. I'm at 140 and now lightning isn't striking there consistently anymore...I'm scared

edit: n/m got it to work. Think I was starting to drift a bit too far back each time.

Falk

that puzzling face
Completed everyone's sphere grid, but Perfect Sphere Grid Master didn't pop. I know who the culprit is - Yuna's defense is at 253, not 255. Now to find the rogue defense sphere...

Do you not have a master sphere or two to check? If it's grayed out the grid is clear for that character.

Grats!

So is it possible to kill all the DAs + Penance without grinding Luck? I really do not want to fight Earth Eater a billion times.

Totally, yes. And no Magic grinding either which is almost (not quite) as bad. See here

Why am I having so much trouble with Kottos? I can't remember the same back on the PS2. I can kill him fine, but it's more effort than I'd like. All I want is some power spheres

Attack Reels spam is the answer to everything - It's the highest damage single ability in the game which really cuts down on battles where everything is followed by a counter which slogs up each battle. It should get faster and faster with each power sphere you get, too.
edit: If it's an issue of not getting enough turns between him to make it efficient, try Fenrir grinding a little first for Agi. That's a much higher efficiency return per stat than STR and caps at 170

My 5yo son made me laugh recently while playing FFX.

He kept hearing Tidus talk and then he told me that he has a similar voice to Sonic's.

He made me laugh so hard because it isn't far from the truth.

Now he asks me to play the game with the blonde guy with the same voice as Sonic's.

Never thought about that when played the game 10 years ago.

Oh God, can't unhear.

Shahed

There was a post a while back that showed how many of each attribute sphere's you'll need to max out without using clear nodes you'd need, but i can't find it. I'll have enough Mag Def easily, plan on doing Evasion next since he's easy to kill before i do the rest.

The key to that area is to just keep still. Move only when you see a light forming underneath you, or when there's an item crystal nearby (don't try for something that's too far away, because the items disappear very quickly). That's really all there is to it.

Also, there's a very good reason there aren't any save spheres after the Point of No Return.

Actually that's exactly what I was doing and it took 25-30 minutes. Doesn't matter if that's the point of no return, it's a major waste of time and poorly designed, it shouldn't really be there in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I really like FFX a lot! It's very enjoyable, but the design choice here is unbelievable.

Falk

that puzzling face
There was a post a while back that showed how many of each attribute sphere's you'll need to max out without using clear nodes you'd need, but i can't find it. I'll have enough Mag Def easily, plan on doing Evasion next since he's easy to kill before i do the rest.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/46942

tl;dr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Expert Sphere Grid - International/PAL (No Clear Sphere)
One of the hardeset task to do, but these are the results of what is possible.
FYI, the Expert Sphere Grid is something that has the lowest number of nodes.
Therefore, if you don't use Clear Spheres, there isn't much you can do.
And yet, it still works.

What is needed:
23 Strength Spheres 13 Agility Spheres
30 Defense Spheres 56 Luck Spheres
27 Magic Spheres
34 Magic Defense Spheres

After all that, you should have 93 Empty nodes left.
HP Sphere all of that and you get 27900
27900 + 16200 (Already on grid) = 44100 HP

Standard Sphere Grid - International/PAL (No Clear Sphere)
Like the previous one for the Regular Sphere grid, this applies for the
Standard Sphere Grid. Everything will reach Dark Aeod Way, except for 99999 HP

What is needed:
20 Strength Sphere 55 Luck Sphere with ~448 Fortune Sphere
30 Defense Sphere
27 Magic Sphere
32 Magic Defense Sphere

This setup is basically the best format to use when you're trying to
complete the Dark Aeons/Penance will using the Standard Sphere Grid.
Remember, this is without using any Clear Sphere. So this means use up
all the spheres listed and activate all of them.

After all of that, you should still have 80 nodes left.
If you apply all this to HP only, that would give 24000
24000 + 19700 (already on grid) = 43700 HP

edit: That's odd, Standard Sphere (no clear) is not stating how many AGI spheres to farm. Wonder if that's an oversight.

edit2: You don't need evasion in International/HD

Tiamant

For all of you who are starting FFX-2 here's a new thing included in the International version that will make leveling up dresspheres a LOT faster. If you win 3 times Shinra's first cup you'll get a garment grid that gives x3 ability points!

HeelPower

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Finally dodged 200 lightning.I have never done it....Ever...Even did it up to 243 consecutive due to how paranoid I was.

Guys are there trophies for the chocobo game and butterflies as well ?

This is grueling lol

EDIT : JUST REALIZED THE TROPHY IS JUST BRONZE FFS SE...WOW

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Finally dodged 200 lightning.I have never done it....Ever...Even did it up to 243 consecutive due to how paranoid I was.

Guys are there trophies for the chocobo game and butterflies as well ?

This is grueling lol

EDIT : JUST REALIZED THE TROPHY IS JUST BRONZE FFS SE...WOW

At least you got that one out of the way, that's my last annoying celestial I need to get.

but yea, chocobo racing and blitzball have trophies, butterflies dont.

bobawesome

A part of me hates that I had to look up how to get most of the celestial weapons and mirror but there's no way in the world I would have known to do any of it otherwise...

There were a couple parts where I just lost it the first time. I'm curious if it'll happen again.
Specifically
Tidas' ghost hug/leap into Jecht high Five. Yuna whistling at the dock, and her ending speech. The whistling was the worst. My dad showed my brother and I how to whistle like that if we ever got lost and seeing it used for the same effect just crushed me.

The feels, there are many.

So true, also:
Thread title and flash back to all the things Tidus and Yuna had lived through together then fade to Suteki Da Ne Orchestral. Wow

I came to appreciate FF13's combat quite a lot despite its ATB-ness. Paradigm shifting kept me engaged without having to juggle three characters individually, and without going to the extremes of XII's code-your-own-AI-and-press-X combat.

I had finished it before, I knew exactly what would happen and I still had to wipe my eyes a few times. It's a really well executed story.
Yeah, well executed and still complex without feeling convoluted, really hard to pull of imo.
I completely agree.

I don't give a shit about trophies.Never got a platinum actually because I think trophies are tedious.

But this time I feel a strong urge to do it in this particular game. :)
Damn it feels good that someone feels the same way, it's kinda weird to reationalize y'know?

Saphirax

At least you got that one out of the way, that's my last annoying celestial I need to get.

but yea, chocobo racing and blitzball have trophies, butterflies dont.

I just realised that whilst attempting to catch all the butterflies. Don't even use Kimahri so it won't be a huge loss :D.

Falk

that puzzling face
Is there auto enough for Evasion, Accuracy and Agility? Would certainly save a lot of time! On second thought I guess Accuracy isn't that important with Overdrives

Now time for the moment I was dreading. Getting 10 of every monster. Never managed it on PS2, but here goes!

Luck makes Eva/Accuracy redundant. Not sure about Agility because I used Expert Sphere Grid and didn't really follow this guide anyway - I farmed more than I needed and plopped them down all in one area for convenience rather than gallivanting all over the sphere grid to activate -everything- (you need to go through it anyway to plant all your spheres down so it's a waste of time) and didn't bother with Magic or HP.

Top Bottom