• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Suirrad

Great OT Ultros

I'm very excited to be going back to Spira after so long. I've actually been holding out replaying it every since it's announcement. Hands down one of my favorite games of all time. I will pick it up on Vita first but will eventually get the PS3 version as well.

Shadow780

For those with Vita that has tried multiple accounts, how does that work?

On my PS3 I can download a game from HK/TW PSN store, change my PSN account back to US, open that game and earn trophies on my US PSN account. Same goes with any DLCs.

Can I do that with a Vita also? Mainly I want to go to the HK PSN store on my Vita, download the Vita version (I have the PS3 version from that region), change back to my US account and earn trophies and enjoy cross-saves. I do have another Vita memory card or do I have to buy the physical version?

CarJeter

Neo Member
That one is most useful since Yuna lacks offense for a huge part of the game. Especially since she has a higher magic stat than Lulu I believe.

Expert is good in quite a few ways. For example everyone starts in the same area at the middle, so I like to place early Sphere Nodes so they can all reap the benefits. Like the Strength Sphere you get for winning the blitzball tournanment

Actually both Yuna and Lulu have the same magic stat.

Yuna
HP: 475
MP: 84
STR: 5
DEF: 5
MAG: 20
MDEF: 20
AGL: 10
LCK: 17
EVA: 30
ACC: 3

Lulu
HP: 380
MP: 92
DEF: 8
MDEF: 30
AGL: 5
EVA: 40

The bolded shows the superior beginning stat. Yuna has more HP and is faster but Lulu has more MP and her defense is good. In the end, it really comes down to preference since Lulu can basically jump on Yuna's grid and get more magic since it has more magic nodes. Lulu's grid has more defensive nodes (Evasion, Defense, MDefense).

The thing is, that Lulu's overdrive depends on her black magic skills (though I guess nobody really use it frequently lol) and Yuna has summons which is a huge advantage over Lulu.

Roubjon

If I was planning on doing those crazy optional bosses in this version, should I use the new sphere grid or stick to the old one? Does it really matter?

Great OT. Also if you got a email from square saying the game was on backlog you can disregard it. I got an email last night saying they have more than enough to fulfill all pre-orders. Even the collector's edition.

ZeroX03

Banned
You can still get 'max' stats on the expert sphere grid. The only thing you have to give up is HP, which doesn't really matter, unless you really want 99,999.

This thread explains stat maxing w/ the standard grid, it's basically useless agility. Accuracy is also useless late game: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197344-final-fantasy-x/55386150

I know. I want to have the highest stats I can across the board. I'm not happy until I'm basically a god lol

Ourobolus

Banned
Can't wait to try the Expert Grid. I think I'll reverse Yuna and Lulu for the hell of it, since I rarely used Yuna in the original game.

OmegaDL50

Can't wait to try the Expert Grid. I think I'll reverse Yuna and Lulu for the hell of it, since I rarely used Yuna in the original game.

Well one benefit to the Expert Sphere Grid is that both White and Black Magic are fairly close to each other on the path, so you can pretty much teach both Yuna and Lulu the same spells without much work.

I mean when you consider the original Sphere Grid, White Magic took the upper left part of the Grid, and Black Magic was the lower right. In the Expert, however both spell sets generally follow a somewhat shared path, getting both spell sets on multiple characters much faster then what is possible with the standard Sphere Grid.

let's see if i can finally finish it, but first i need a new ps3 now that my phatty decided to crash forever :(

Can't wait to play this. So many good memories.

Shahed

Actually both Yuna and Lulu have the same magic stat.

Yuna
HP: 475
MP: 84
DEF: 5
MDEF: 20
AGL: 10
EVA: 30

Lulu
HP: 380
MP: 92
DEF: 8
MDEF: 30
AGL: 5
EVA: 40

The bolded shows the superior beginning stat. Yuna has more HP and is faster but Lulu has more MP and her defense is good. In the end, it really comes down to preference since Lulu can basically jump on Yuna's grid and get more magic since it has more magic nodes. Lulu's grid has more defensive nodes (Evasion, Defense, MDefense).

The thing is, that Lulu's overdrive depends on her black magic skills (though I guess nobody really use it frequently lol) and Yuna has summons which is a huge advantage over Lulu.

Yeah everyone is useful in their own way. As for the magic stats, I just remembered Yuna being higher, but that must have been a result of her path more than anything else. So while they'll be equal at the beginning, Yuna will pull ahead. Nothing major though

Like you say, it comes down to preference. I'll always advocate more offensive power in my RPG's though!

injurai

Banned
September 2011 - FFX HD is announced for the Vita

February 2012 - I buy a Vita at launch because of that announcement

March 2014 - My Vita purchase is finally justified

I really can't wait for this game. Easily one of my all time favourites and to be able to have it on the go is just perfect

Buy a PS3 for FFversus13...

square works in mysterious ways...

If only there was cross-buy as well as cross-save. That way I could pick up the PS3 CE but actually be able to play on my Vita ;_;

If only there was cross-buy as well as cross-save. That way I could pick up the PS3 CE but actually be able to play on my Vita ;_;

Just be like me and spend way too much money getting both the CE and the vita version!

...yeah, I count myself very, very lucky that my wife is as understanding about such things as she is.

AmanoBuff

Great OT Ultros!

Vita digital day one for me. And I'll get the European physical Vita version only for that gorgeous cover.

PS3 version in a couple of months or so just to help fund the FFXII HD Kickstarter.

Aurizen

What happened to that thread what talking about that and Will? That thread was an amazing train wreck.

New trailer. I recommend you avoid any trailers if you haven't played them before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snyo6kSnGt4
No idea what happened to it lol.
thanks for the video. I played FFX and X-2 for many years :)
Is it accessible off the bat?

Yup, it was on the main menu when you choose weather you want to play FFX or X-2 or play the credits and the 30 min drama.

Shadow780

So what exactly is the new sphere grid?

The old grid more or less follows a linear path for each character, Tidus/Auron has quicker access to physical skills and Lulu/Yuna learn spells early on. The expert grid puts everyone's starting point close to each other and you're more or less free to choose their grow path.

I never touched FFX-2, so I'm looking forward to actually checking it out finally and see what's the hubbub about the battle system.

ramyeon

Still need to decide between the old grid and the expert grid. Last time I played FFX was a very, very long time ago so on one hand I feel like it might be easier to just go with the original... but then again the expert one does seem interesting.

Son Of D

I'm going with the Expert grid. So used to using it after my numerous playthroughs of the game. Plus it lets me experiment a bit for the story in terms of character roles.

Holmes

People who are saying their review copies are in.

angry-cat-squints-squinting-eyes-1382657268R.gif

I'm going with the Expert grid. So used to using it after my numerous playthroughs of the game. Plus it lets me experiment a bit for the story in terms of character roles.
As newbie to X, would recommend me using the default grid?

As for background, I have only beaten one mainline FF game and that was 13. I have beaten Crisis Core and most of FF4 (Stopped playing at the final dungeon). Played some of 12, but got stuck and sold it. I got to what was assumedly the final boss in 13-2, but I could not finish it because my ps3 died.

OmegaDL50

One thing I like about FFX-2's combat system is that unlike Final Fantasy III or V, Job switching can be done during combat (based on the configuration of the Garment Grid)

You can say for example start the battle as a Black Mage, and it just so happens the enemy you are fighting is immune to Magic, you can (if it's setup right) change into a Warrior class on-the-fly and continue the battle to deal physical attacks instead of relying on magic.

Whereas in FFV whatever jobs that are assigned to your characters is static until you get access to the main menu outside of battle and can then change. Being able to dynamically change your jobs during combat adds an extra layer of strategy for various situations, there are some bonuses for swapping jobs too, I mean other then just changing your appearance and the current skill set (stat bonuses or bonus abilities for certain Garment Grids when you swap classes for example)

ZeroX03

Banned
One thing I like about FFX-2's combat system is that unlike Final Fantasy III or V, Job switching can be done during combat (based on the configuration of the Garment Grid)

You can say for example start the battle as a Black Mage, and it just so happens the enemy you are fighting is immune to Magic, you can (if it's setup right) change into a Warrior class on-the-fly and continue the battle to deal physical attacks instead of relying on magic.

Whereas in FFV whatever jobs that are assigned to your characters is static until you get access to the main menu outside of battle and can then change. Being able to dynamically change your jobs during combat adds an extra layer of strategy for various situations, there are some bonuses for swapping jobs too, I mean other then just changing your appearance and the current skill set (stat bonuses or bonus abilities for certain Garment Grids when you swap classes for example)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...2-HD-Remaster-Review-Auron-You-Glad-Its-In-HD

Changing characters/classes in mid-combat helps to massively open up combat options. Also changing equipment as well. Giving the player access to all their options rather than forcing them to go into a battle with a set team makes the battles more enjoyable and strategic. I consider X the most mechnically sound in the series, while X-2 is my favorite in the series for grinding and it's quick pace. Jim Sterling's review laments on how other RPGs don't encourage switching characters mid-battle, I miss it from things like FFX and BoFIV, it makes perfect sense.

Son Of D

As newbie to X, would recommend me using the default grid?

As for background, I have only beaten one mainline FF game and that was 13. I have beaten Crisis Core and most of FF4 (Stopped playing at the final dungeon). Played some of 12, but got stuck and sold it. I got to what was assumedly the final boss in 13-2, but I could not finish it because my ps3 died.

Definitely go with the default if it's your first time. Everyone will be on their intended path then and you won't mess up by giving a character the wrong stats and abilities (last thing you'll want is Auron going down Lulu's or Yuna's path since he's your "tank").

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...2-HD-Remaster-Review-Auron-You-Glad-Its-In-HD

Changing characters/classes in mid-combat helps to massively open up combat options. Also changing equipment as well. Giving the player access to all their options rather than forcing them to go into a battle with a set team makes the battles more enjoyable and strategic. I consider X the most mechnically sound in the series, while X-2 is my favorite in the series for grinding and it's quick pace. Jim Sterling's review laments on how other RPGs don't encourage switching characters mid-battle, I miss it from things like FFX and BoFIV, it makes perfect sense.

I like that Jim reviewed the Vita version and it scored highly. I couldn't help but read the whole thing in his voice in my head lol

Top Bottom