• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Emitan

Try to just survive the first half without getting scored on. During halftime, have Tidus equip Jecht Shot. Your only goal in life now is to get the ball to Tidus so he can Jecht Shot at 3/4 court before 3 minutes. When Wakka swaps in, you can try to get a goal with him if you need to break a tie. His speed and shoot stats are pretty good.

Good luck!

It won't let me equip Jecht Shot because I'm not level 3...

Levyne

Banned

Yeah, got to make sure to have Tidus pass around a bit to level him up.

You can try to score with Wakka's Venom shot in the last couple minutes, that also works well if you can get close.

Flandy

YO.

Few questions from a guy who's never played this game. I'm sure there have been Vita impressions but this thread is big. Too big.

So how does the Vita version run? Smooth?

Are the touchpad and touchscreen used for anything?

Now about the game itself.

Around how long is the game? Shorter than P4G?

Is there a ton of dialogue in the game? (P3P has a ton and it's getting boring)

Really jealous of everyone playing this on the vita, makes me want to pick one up!

Played this back in the day for about 26 hours, always planned to go back. Hope everyone is enjoying it!
Vita version is amazeballs. Its sub native but it looks realllly good. Rock solid 30 fps. drops are pretty rare

Magnus

Nailed the Goers as always. One Jecht Shot and one of Wakka's venom shots. Boom. Blitzball becomes tres EZ Mode once you get the hang of some of its...idiosyncrasies.

Seda

I wouldn't blame the voice actor. There are so many award readings and lines from other characters that the direction is clearly to blame.

Having just recently completed the Tales of Symphonia rerelease, I thought his performance as Yggdrasil was not too bad. Kinda sounded like Taylor's Obi-wan voice only angry.

But yes, Tidus has several awkward sounding lines.

laoni

I wouldn't blame the voice actor. There are so many awkward readings and lines from other characters that the direction is clearly to blame.

From memory, they didn't bother trying to get stuff to match the voice flaps, they just sped up /slowed down /chopped up the voice clips to fit the flaps.

Levyne

Banned
Hmm, for some reason I always thought that Brotherhood was a unique looking sword, but I guess not, currently using an Icebrand which has the same skin. Just noting.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Oh no, I'm so sorry! Like others have said, Tidus needs to be level 3 to equip a skill. I've just always passed the ball to him, and so that never occurred to me. Hope you maybe still managed to beat it with Wakka!

XJF

The scene right after you beat Seymour in Bevelle and retreat to the Calm Lands. Tidus and Yuna pretending to end the pilgrimage, fantasizing their future together, and her crying at the end leading up to Suteki Da Ne. Hold me GAF, the most emotional scene in the game is happening.

I saved just after that before I went to work! Just got home, time to roam the Calm Lands! Woot!

Emitan

Oh no, I'm so sorry! Like others have said, Tidus needs to be level 3 to equip a skill. I've just always passed the ball to him, and so that never occurred to me. Hope you maybe still managed to beat it with Wakka!

Lost in double overtime. Graav is on steroids.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Lost in double overtime. Graav is on steroids.
=( I'd avoid Bickson. With his endurance and shot, he just powered through my whole team in the first 20 seconds and scored for free. If you can get Jecht Shot next time, you'll have a much easier time of it.

SirNinja

Man, you're making me wish I'd played with the expert grid.

You can at least still make Kimahri into whatever you want. His situation is basically the same in both grids.

I usually send him down Tidus's path, but after hearing all the good things about putting him on Rikku's path I might just do that instead. It would certainly be nice to have someone else who can use Steal, given all the useful stuff you can swipe from enemies in this game.

inner-G

Banned
Got my first Vita trophy for stealing 200 times in Calm Lands!
You hadn't found an al bhed primer yet?

You can at least still make Kimahri into whatever you want. His situation is basically the same in both grids.

I usually send him down Tidus's path, but after hearing all the good things about putting him on Rikku's path I might just do that instead. It would certainly be nice to have someone else who can use Steal, given all the useful stuff you can swipe from enemies in this game.
I like to make him a hodgepodge. Steal/Use, basic black and white magic, then put him down Tidus' path for strength and Haste.

Zafir

Amazon UK managed to mess up getting the PS3 version to me. Still hasn't even dispatched. Not surprised mind you, they've been rubbish for release day delivery for a good while.

Good job I was getting the Vita version as well, that should come tomorrow at the least...

Lothar

Banned
They really screwed up Yuna face, the lip syncing got worst because of it, and all her facial animations are gone. When she yells her mouth doesn't even move or face shows expression. Now I think this is one if the worst remasters available, because the facial expressions were big, now in this game the serious scenes feel like a pure joke.

Is everyone else finding this to be true too? That would be really disappointing. Facial expressions was always one of FFX's biggest strengths.

Even if you didn't like the game's characters or story, I don't know anyone couldn't be in awe in how much feeling they tried to put into the game. Scenes like the one where Yuna wakes up with bed hair and the characters poke fun at it and laugh together make it obvious that they really really cared and wanted that to transfer over to the gamer.

The laughing scene is another one. I honestly think it's incredibly cute, I like it more each time I see it, it never fails to make me smile, and it is one of my favorite scenes of any RPG. Maybe this is something that a lot of people didn't realize when they were little kids playing it but the fake laughing is supposed to sound stupid, of course, duh. The other characters look at them like they're stupid. And when they start really laughing at how ridiculous they sound, it does come off as a genuine laugh. It's a sweet way to build their relationship and show how comfortable they're becoming around each other. It's all the more heartwarming when you realize that it started because Yuna was trying to break Tidus was out of his depression. It was one of his few pouty Cloud/Squall/Lightning moments in the game and Yuna was able to immediately fix him.

Levyne

Banned
I never thought the original game had great facial expressions...

That said, I think the new model works for the "bed head" scene in the remaster.

Xenex

If I didn't have to go to work i would just keep playing. not many games out there that make me want to play 5+ hours straight, but FFX is for sure one of those games that hook you with its story and world.

What I'm surprised at is how fast the time goes when I'm playing. One second it will be like 5pm, play a little FF X, look at the clock again and it's 7pm. I'm like dafuq just happened? lol

Zafir

Is everyone else finding this to be true too? That would be really disappointing. Facial expressions was always one of FFX's biggest strengths.

Even if you didn't like the game's characters or story, I don't know anyone couldn't be in awe in how much feeling they tried to put into the game. Scenes like the one where Yuna wakes up with bed hair and the characters poke fun at it and laugh together make it obvious that they really really cared and wanted that to transfer over to the gamer.

The laughing scene is another one. I honestly think it's incredibly cute, I like it more each time I see it, it never fails to make me smile, and it is one of my favorite scenes of any RPG. Maybe this is something that a lot of people didn't realize when they were little kids playing it but the fake laughing is supposed to sound stupid, of course, duh. The other characters look at them like they're stupid. And when they start really laughing at how ridiculous they sound, it does come off as a genuine laugh. It's a sweet way to build their relationship and show how comfortable they're becoming around each other. It's all the more heartwarming when you realize that it started because Yuna was trying to break Tidus was out of his depression. It was one of his few pouty Cloud/Squall/Lightning moments in the game and Yuna was able to immediately fix him.

I found the lack of her facial expressions quite noticeable in the laughing scene from the remake. As it's not out till tomorrow in the UK, I haven't seen any scenes outside that though.

Yeah the laughing scene made more sense this time from when I was a kid. Overall the game is really enjoyable so far having only beat it once then never again getting past Luca.

Just hit Djose temple after spending the afternoon doing blitzball and getting Wakka's attack reels. This Expert grid is kinda annoying but finally started making progress on it lol. Trying to not miss anything but I already missed/forgot about the second valefor limit derp. Either way, really loving the game all the bad acting aside which was typical of the time.

Oddly enough think I might put Dark Souls aside until I beat 10.

Xenex

It's my favorite FF game for a reason!

Haha, it really is an immersive game. I need self discipline putting the game down and going to bed as I could easily play through the night. This is my joint favourite FF, between this and VII I can't choose.

I'm playing No Sphere Grid so far but I'm not gonna stick to it. I'm just trying to see how far I can get without leveling and before it becomes tedious. I got my first gameover at Mushroom Rock Road because of two Dual Horns. One of my guys died and somehow they took a LOT more turns.

Squire

Banned

I've started him down Wakka's path. I really just want another character that packs a wallop and I feel like I'm not considerate enough to remember to use Steal with two characters. With Rikku I do because I basically need to.

Atlantis

I'm playing No Sphere Grid so far but I'm not gonna stick to it. I'm just trying to see how far I can get without leveling and before it becomes tedious. I got my first gameover at Mushroom Rock Road because of two Dual Horns. One of my guys died and somehow they took a LOT more turns.

Ability Spheres Only can be fun!

Ability Spheres Only can be fun!
...you know, that actually sounds very fun. I love doing challenge runs. Can you beat Ability Spheres Only without relying on Mix? I dislike memorizing recipes, and the impression I had with many challenges is that they abused Mix.

Atlantis

...you know, that actually sounds very fun. I love doing challenge runs. Can you beat Ability Spheres Only without relying on Mix? I dislike memorizing recipes.

Well with just Ability Spheres Only, you've still got Aeons if you ever get stuck. IIRC it can be beaten without Aeons or Overdrives, but there's some specific customization that needs to be done.

Emitan

13300334814_7471fce10kbs8t.jpg

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Falk

that puzzling face

I'm finding it's a little of both. Tidus' character model really could have been better especially when he looks like puffy-cheeked nightmare in certain angles, but on the other hand, there's a bit of rose-tinted glasses going on too. The original game wowed people with really great animations in some places that it was easy to overlook others. When you skip forward ten years though, the weaker links do begin to show. We've been pampered by half a generation of facial motion capture and all that jazz. (Along with, dare I say it, the XIII trilogy, which for all its other faults had a generation's worth of cinematography advances)

Was pretty surprised looking back up on Youtube and finding out how much better the original game looked in memory compared to in reality.

edit: I'm gonna say that overall I'm pretty satisfied with what they were able to accomplish with the assets on hand. Could have been better but I'm not sure it might have been worth the effort without really going over every single cutscene with a fine tooth-comb, for example, and even then you'd really need another VA pass to take advantage of that, as some deliveries simply don't fit their animations. (Yelling vs speaking for one. Muffled lines in the whistling scene for another obvious one)

AmanoBuff

Is there? I just thought there were trophies for winning any blitz game, and one for winning a tournament.

No idea about that really. I just won the championship yesterday by beating the Goers and got the
Team Work
trophy. Haven't played any other matches so I don't know for sure.

Top Bottom