• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

vissione

Banned
ffxi_2010-02-14_16-25-12.png

Ravidrath

Rawk Hawk said:

Yeah, uh... don't do Besieged on 360. Same always happened to me.

Campaign Battles don't crash regularly, but can also crash.

The 360 port is a fucking joke, sadly. Between the poor performance, crashes and the sound bugs they haven't addressed since launch, Square should be ashamed of it. :\

Teknoman said:

Drops an evasion boomerang, I think? Used to be hot shit for NIN Eva builds.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Special edition Mog Bonanza for VanaFest 2010. - Do not have to attend

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/event/vanafes2010/index.html?page=2

Here's how the new one works. You register for contest on page above. Don't need to pay for a marble. Pick your number on the web site. You can only have one number per SE account. You also have to select your desired prize when you register your number. Prizes will be delivered right to in-box on next version update. Rank 4 and 5 will be announced at VanaFest.

Rank 2 and 3 prizes are pretty much the same as Normal Mog Bonanza except it's only rare/ex stuff. Stuff you could sell is gone.

Rank 1 is your choice of any Relic or Mythic weapon

Chose Relic Great Katana for my Samurai. Only lvl 64 now, but I don't really see point in getting the weapons for my WHM or SMN. ALso woudl be hillarious to level into a relic weapon I think.

Nirvana for SMN would be great, but honestly, my SMN is pimped out enough, and I actually think I can get it on my own over time.

Kangaboo

Neo Member
Getting ready to do the Airship battle in CoP... (Sunday the 21st)

Got any advice?!
Jobs that perform well in this fight, etc etc etc?

Thanks!

Mandoric

Banned
Kangaboo said:
Getting ready to do the Airship battle in CoP... (Sunday the 21st)

Got any advice?!
Jobs that perform well in this fight, etc etc etc?

Thanks!

Don't stress it, it's pretty easy now. My group did it last weekend, didn't even come close to a death.

Key points: Mammets can and should be supertanked and you probably want Vent up to deal with staff mode/damage absorb. Tank should stand in one corner, melee in another pulling Mammets one by one with a bow, mages in a third to avoid staff AoE.
BLU Head Butt is very effective on Omega/Ultima.
Everyone should bring a polymer pump, but it's unlikely that you'll use them all.
An even marginally-well-equipped SAM is fucking broken in this fight. Be sure to come /NIN, if you do nothing but melee with Soboro and Yuki every time you hit 100%, even with Seigan up, you will be tanking Ultima whether you like it or not.

Kangaboo

Neo Member
Mandoric said:
Don't stress it, it's pretty easy now. My group did it last weekend, didn't even come close to a death.

That's what I want to hear! :D

I farmed up pumps for my group earlier today.

Does this sound like a good setup?

PLD (can also be WHM/BLM/RDM/SCH/BLU)
DRG (can also be RDM, but totally won't play anything but DRG now....)
DRK (can also be BLU/BRD)
SAM (can also be DRK/PLD)
BLU (can also be BLM/SMN)
RDM (can also be WHM/BLU/BLM/BRD)

As far as subs go, I think people are pretty good in my group. Again, thank you for any insight/advice!

Rawk Hawk

DrForester said:

Here's how the new one works. You register for contest on page above. Don't need to pay for a marble. Pick your number on the web site. You can only have one number per SE account. You also have to select your desired prize when you register your number. Prizes will be delivered right to in-box on next version update. Rank 4 and 5 will be announced at VanaFest.

Rank 2 and 3 prizes are pretty much the same as Normal Mog Bonanza except it's only rare/ex stuff. Stuff you could sell is gone.

Chose Relic Great Katana for my Samurai. Only lvl 64 now, but I don't really see point in getting the weapons for my WHM or SMN. ALso woudl be hillarious to level into a relic weapon I think.

Nirvana for SMN would be great, but honestly, my SMN is pimped out enough, and I actually think I can get it on my own over time.

Running into problems trying to do this. For some reason the link you need to set up your account properly isn't working. Weird, something you need to do to get free stuff from SE isn't working? I'm stunned.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rawk Hawk said:
Running into problems trying to do this. For some reason the link you need to set up your account properly isn't working. Weird, something you need to do to get free stuff from SE isn't working? I'm stunned.

Worked just fine for me. Is your Playonline account linked to your SE account?

demigod

Kangaboo said:

As far as subs go, I think people are pretty good in my group. Again, thank you for any insight/advice!

I don't know what healer Mandoric had but imo WHM is needed for Stona. Switching RDM to WHM and DRK as BRD might be better. PLD should bring some ethers.

Mariner

I'd probably get Aegis if I guessed all five numbers right in the mog bonanza. Maybe Burtgang since it's such a pain to get. Pretty cool that they are doing this.

Tabris said:
I just finished Usukane Somen :) 4/5 Usukane now.

Grats! :D

Tabris

Kangaboo said:

I dunno if you got enough healing there unless the BLU is really good. It's been a long time since I've done that mission though, I remember PLD being frowned on for that (pre-nerf), it was all NIN but I doubt that's the same now.

What I would do is a complete dry run, you can use 2hrs if your group doesn't mind waiting 2 hours or for tomorrow. That's what my group did back in the day, dry run all the big fights, to get an idea if you can do this as you're setup + using items. Often we won on the dry run anyways, so there's always that chance.

Also congratulations when you win that, as that's the last hard part of Chains of Promathia left (well 8-3 can be hard without BLM burning it)... oh, and the cutscenes start getting so good.

Tabris

DrForester said:

I went with Aegis/Defending Ring/Homam Gamberias but I'm instantly regreting it. I should have gone with Yoichi.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My HNMls just didnt care about doing Ungur and whenever I got people, I would lose lot :/

Swift Belt was my other item, but after like 15 tries I finally got it.

Stuff like W/A Body...easy...lol

Tabris

You guys should set up accounts on ffxiah.com

Allows you to set up item sets, track your merits, show your levels/missions/crafts/gear to people.

Shouta

DrForester said:

Hrm, got a little time but can't decide. Aegis, Excalibur, Kenkonken or Bravura. Yoichi or Amano would be awesome too though argh. First instinct is Kenkonken since I play PUP the most.

Mandoric

Banned
Rawk Hawk said:

If you're using a European copy of FFXI, you have to use the form on the Euro POL site, maybe?

Kangaboo said:

I'd be inclined to have the RDM go WHM, especially tanking on PLD; we had one and it may have gotten messy without, and we blinktanked. This implies the DRK coming as BRD for ballad unless BLU/WHM want to come with Yag drinks, which is silly (unless you're on Phoenix in which case it is a very very good idea to buy every Yag drink you can carry :lol )

Going Amano/D. Ring/I don't even know what for the Bonanza. Usukane would do me more good, but it's actually achievable and Salvage is fun, while there's no way I'm ever HNMing, especially on PLD.

If I were more active endgaming and already had a decent chance of being set in my main job, I'd be tempted to go for one of the mythics that no one's gotten yet。The last census lists Ryunohige (since spotted on Titan), Aymur, Death Penalty, Gastrapheles, and Tupsimati as unobtained.

Shouta said:
Hrm, got a little time but can't decide. Aegis, Excalibur, Kenkonken or Bravura. Yoichi or Amano would be awesome too though argh. First instinct is Kenkonken since I play PUP the most.

I went with Aegis and Defending Ring. Rank 3 was the toughest choice since there's more stuff there that I can reasonably obtain in my lifetime, so I went with Valkyrie's Cuisses.

Rawk Hawk

DrForester said:
Worked just fine for me. Is your Playonline account linked to your SE account?

No, that's what I was trying to do. It said you could click 'here' to do it, 'here' being a link.

Tried again this morning, still won't load. Keep receiving an error message.

Rawk Hawk

Mandoric said:
Along with checking your region, some people have issues when clicking the link. Try going directly to http://account.square-enix.com/regist/ .

Thanks so much, this worked.

I went with Relic GKT Amano.. as rank 1. V Belt for rank 2. Then with rank 3 didn't know what to pick.. nothing could be equiped by a SAM or BST at I saw. I tried looking the stuff up here at work. I picked some Nashira Boots, incase I decide to finish off BRD one day.

Little disappointing nothing I could really equip in the rank you have the best chance of getting, but free stuff is free stuff. The chance to land a relic is cool enough for me. I thought it was odd though, most of the sets from rank 2's body pieces were in rank 3 except the one SAM can equip, are the other pieces in that set not very good?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
NDODfCfRB.png

♥ ♥ ♥

Mandoric

Banned
Rawk Hawk said:
Thanks so much, this worked.

I went with Relic GKT Amano.. as rank 1. V Belt for rank 2. Then with rank 3 didn't know what to pick.. nothing could be equiped by a SAM or BST at I saw. I tried looking the stuff up here at work. I picked some Nashira Boots, incase I decide to finish off BRD one day.

Little disappointing nothing I could really equip in the rank you have the best chance of getting, but free stuff is free stuff. The chance to land a relic is cool enough for me. I thought it was odd though, most of the sets from rank 2's body pieces were in rank 3 except the one SAM can equip, are the other pieces in that set not very good?

I was really tempted by the belt, but the idea of leveling PLD into D. Ring is just too appealing. Plus, if Wiki's to be believed, the belt drops 6x more than it from a fight I could damn well near solo, and there are definitely purchasable Speed Belts out there too.

Haramaki appears to have a lower drop rate than other body pieces, not sure how accurate the Wiki data is. Not sure on the other pieces.

Yoshichan said:
♥ ♥ ♥

{Congratulations.}

Yoshichan said:
NDODfCfRB.png

♥ ♥ ♥

Woo! grats!

Bonanza choices:

Went with the V. Belt since I don't feel like camping the king.
Skadi body
Homam Gloves
and the Relic weapon, since the Mythic one sounds more fun to get, and involves events I'd like to do anyway.

Shouta

Finally decide on Bravura, Usukane Haramaki, and Homam Cosicales. Still really wanted Excalibur or Kenkonken but it's not like I'm going to win and even if I got either of the two, I don't play PLD enough anymore (assuming I played much anyway) and everyone is a dick to PUP so.

Loto

Probably going with Aegis/Ares Body... can't decide on Rank 3. Maybe Nashira legs so i don't have to wait as long.

Rawk Hawk

I almost picked the Relic Axe for BST.. only like 15 in existance according to ffxiah.. only one on fairy... how pimpin'. That or the bow, sam/rng would be so badass with that bow. Broke down and went with the most practical in the end. As if I'll get any.:lol

Tabris

Loto said:
Probably going with Aegis/Ares Body... can't decide on Rank 3. Maybe Nashira legs so i don't have to wait as long.

Ares Body is fairly easy to get. Same with Morrigan's Body, so I definitely recommend picking up a different item like dring (amazing even without PLD as ohshit or solo gear macro swaps) or vbelt.

scotcheggz

I downloaded the trial recently and hooked up with my old LS, I quit about 2 years ago and when I was speaking to my old LS leader, it blew my mind how much of the backend of this game sems to have changed in the past 2 years. I instantly shelved any plans of retrieving my old character.

When I quit, I was 75NIN,BLM,BRD 100+3(?) CC, took me years to get that and build up all the nasty gear, Millenium Horn, stuff from SKY/SEA/HNMS, seriously tooled up. Completely worthless by todays standards :lol
People still camping Faf day in day out though :D I think it still even looked good, it's aged so well.

Still wish I could come back and play. Wonderful times with this game. So tempted by FFXIV, but I just can't do it to myself :lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
scotcheggz said:
I downloaded the trial recently and hooked up with my old LS, I quit about 2 years ago and when I was speaking to my old LS leader, it blew my mind how much of the backend of this game sems to have changed in the past 2 years. I instantly shelved any plans of retrieving my old character.

When I quit, I was 75NIN,BLM,BRD 100+3(?) CC, took me years to get that and build up all the nasty gear, Millenium Horn, stuff from SKY/SEA/HNMS, seriously tooled up. Completely worthless by todays standards :lol
People still camping Faf day in day out though :D I think it still even looked good, it's aged so well.

Still wish I could come back and play. Wonderful times with this game. So tempted by FFXIV, but I just can't do it to myself :lol

I came back a few months ago. My 75 WHM was still very well geared. few things have come out to enhance things, but overall the only thing I really need for it is a Scholar subjob, gears fine.

My 75 SMN was also about as well geared as possible. I bought +smn skill back when I played before. The stuff was very cheap as SMN skill was worthless. Now that it means something, I already had the gear for it. Only 2 pieces of equipment would really help my SMN. One is the Garuda enhancing head piece, and the Mythic weapon with -4 perpetuation, beating out my Bahmut's staff. (though loss of MP and Summoning skill with Mythic, makes me question it's value).

Tabris

DrForester said:
I came back a few months ago. My 75 WHM was still very well geared. few things have come out to enhance things, but overall the only thing I really need for it is a Scholar subjob, gears fine.

My 75 SMN was also about as well geared as possible. I bought +smn skill back when I played before. The stuff was very cheap as SMN skill was worthless. Now that it means something, I already had the gear for it. Only 2 pieces of equipment would really help my SMN. One is the Garuda enhancing head piece, and the Mythic weapon with -4 perpetuation, beating out my Bahmut's staff. (though loss of MP and Summoning skill with Mythic, makes me question it's value).

Fay Weapon can be augmented better than Bahmut's Staff. It just takes a long time (or not depending on luck) to get the augments right.

Also there's a lot of new items for WHM (not sure when you quit), Marduk's, Blessed, Cure Potency earring, Yagrush, etc.

Also the ACP, ASA, AMK equipment are huge benefits to jobs depending on what you need to set up.

Loto

Tabris said:
Ares Body is fairly easy to get. Same with Morrigan's Body, so I definitely recommend picking up a different item like dring (amazing even without PLD as ohshit or solo gear macro swaps) or vbelt.

V-Belt would let me pretty much full time an enmity head piece I guess.

Homam hands, pants, legs w/ V. Belt = 15% haste That would be pretty sweet for when I don't get a bard.

What is your opinion on Usukane Haramaki for MNK or SAM? I don't know much about Salvage gear.

D-Ring is a great idea too. Going to be a tough decision

Tabris

Think about it like this... dring drops probabaly around 2-5 times a year with that HNM camped every single days. That means 2-5 players a year get a dring per server. So maybe 1-2 per major HNM linkshell a year. There's nothing you can do about improving that. No matter how much time you spend in the game there's a good chance you won't get a dring. As long as you use proper ohshit gear macros for DD jobs, idle gear for mages, or just general gear use for tanks, then dring is an amazing item for all jobs. Like say you're BLM and you wear it on your idle set. When you get ga'd or tiamat comes over and stomps you, that's -10% damage! That can save your butt a lot. Even better if you use it on a job like SAM as ohshit.

While vbelt, you can get within 3-6 months if you go to maybe 2 camps a week with a couple friends. Increase that chance if you go to camp like 4 times a week. You can usually also buy vbelt off players that camp it for gil. Usually runs 10-15m. Of course luck also changes this where you can maybe get it after camping a month.

Salvage is something anyone can do with varying levels of success, but you put the time and effort into it (which is also fun) and get a good group then you can roll in the Salvage gear. I'm probabaly looking at 4-5 months so far to be 4/5 Usu with an average of 2 runs a week (1.5hrs each approx)

Loto

Tabris said:
Think about it like this... dring drops probabaly around 2-5 times a year with that HNM camped every single days. That means 2-5 players a year get a dring per server. So maybe 1-2 per major HNM linkshell a year. There's nothing you can do about improving that. No matter how much time you spend in the game there's a good chance you won't get a dring. As long as you use proper ohshit gear macros for DD jobs, idle gear for mages, or just general gear use for tanks, then dring is an amazing item for all jobs. Like say you're BLM and you wear it on your idle set. When you get ga'd or tiamat comes over and stomps you, that's -10% damage! That can save your butt a lot. Even better if you use it on a job like SAM as ohshit.

While vbelt, you can get within 3-6 months if you go to maybe 2 camps a week with a couple friends. Increase that chance if you go to camp like 4 times a week. You can usually also buy vbelt off players that camp it for gil. Usually runs 10-15m. Of course luck also changes this where you can maybe get it after camping a month.

Salvage is something anyone can do with varying levels of success, but you put the time and effort into it (which is also fun) and get a good group then you can roll in the Salvage gear. I'm probabaly looking at 4-5 months so far to be 4/5 Usu with an average of 2 runs a week (1.5hrs each approx)

Thats not bad. I though Salvage was a lot worse. I really really enjoy limbus and it sounds like that is similar (not event wise, but time commitment).

Thank you for the insight.

Tabris

Loto said:
Thats not bad. I though Salvage was a lot worse. I really really enjoy limbus and it sounds like that is similar (not event wise, but time commitment).

Thank you for the insight.

Nah it's a bigger time commitement than Limbus. 1hr40 minutes exactly for the run and you usually use almost all the time. All of it when you are new. Plus gather time and required time spent on assaults to get AP for Salvage, assuming 2x runs a week, about 6hrs a week for salvage/assaults/gather time. Sorry for giving wrong time, I was just quoting run times not entire time commitement.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Anyone else having trouble logging in right now? I'll keep trying, but I don't think I'm going to make Limbus. Never seen anything like this.
Error Code FFXI-3101: Transmission Error With Lobby Server
Windower isn't the issue, either.

Mandoric

Banned
To be exact, the estimates are around 5% on a 96-hour spawn for an alliance kill for D. Ring off KB, compared to 5-10% on a 24-hour spawn for a solo/duo kill for VBelt off KA.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Mandoric said:
To be exact, the estimates are around 5% on a 96-hour spawn for an alliance kill for D. Ring off KB, compared to 5-10% on a 24-hour spawn for a solo/duo kill for VBelt off KA.
There's also KS99 Wyrm.
D.Ring is the only sane choice.
Too bad the page to link my SE ID and Playonline ID is broken right now...
And the Mythics are about a hojillion times harder to get than the relics, so keep that in mind. For the jobs I have, I'd much rather have relic, though.

Mandoric

Banned
TAJ said:
There's also KS99 Wyrm.
D.Ring is the only sane choice.
Too bad the page to link my SE ID and Playonline ID is broken right now...

Go directly from the main POL site, or use the link I pasted for the other guy. Some people have trouble using the link from the contest page for some reason.

Now that I think of it, though. Obviously we're doing it wrong.
As insane prestige gear that anyone can equip goes, obviously we need to do VBelt (KA), then D. Ring (KB), and only then KC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom