• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Mandoric said:
As insane prestige gear that anyone can equip goes, obviously we need to do VBelt (KA), then D. Ring (KB), and only then KC.
I see your point. V-Belt is complete shit on MNK, though.

Mandoric

Banned
TAJ said:
I see your point. V-Belt is complete shit on MNK, though.

It'd be a better joke if anything abbreviated to KD. And after that we're in the woods until King Ranperre -> (huh? traveler's cloak this late?) -> Kindred Seals.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Mandoric said:
Go directly from the main POL site, or use the link I pasted for the other guy. Some people have trouble using the link from the contest page for some reason
No, I registered for a SE ID back when they opened FFIV Beta registration. Where I'm getting an error is after I log into my SE ID and try to link it to my Playonline ID. It prompts me for my Playonline ID and password. I put those in and it fails, then tells me I should try again later. I'm guessing that later will be after the 21st...

Tabris

VBelt isn't much of a prestige item. A lot of people have it.

DRing is the most pretigious item outside of mythic, relic, AV gear and PW gear (soon PW gear will be lower than DRing as enough linkshells are starting to spam PW).

Teknoman

UltimaPooh said:
What server is everyone on?

Fairy?

I'm gonna go pick it up for the 360.

Yup. Fairy server is where the majority of us are. Stars of Destiny linkshell.

On that note, anyone want to help with testimonies tomorrow? Possibly before Divine Might.

The stuff of nightmares:

img_20100220_234217.png

We broke the record!

img_20100220_234325.png

img_20100221_040033.png

Grats to everyone on a great DM run and on the completion of Rise of the Zilart!

demonkaze

Damn you FFXI, always making me want to return! I'm starting to get a backlog of games already and then theres the crazy release period coming up too yet for some reason I can't stop wanting to come back to this game, especially after playing White Knight Chronicles (which reminds me so much of FFXI).

Been wanting to finish off my Scholar sat at Lv 61 and want to continue gearing my War and Blm. Still need to finish the last mission of ToAU as well. I think if I do come back, i'll probably server switch to Fairy, been getting kind of bored with Ragnarok.

Snaku

Banned
I've heard wonderful things about the story of this game, but is there any way to experience it without playing? I've attempted to dig into FFXI a number of times over the years, but I just could never invest enough time into it to get to anything interesting.

Teknoman

Snaku said:
I've heard wonderful things about the story of this game, but is there any way to experience it without playing? I've attempted to dig into FFXI a number of times over the years, but I just could never invest enough time into it to get to anything interesting.

Well either try my youtube playlist for our GAF Linkshell's (guild/clan) story missions:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=71A4AFB0FA8D198E

Any videos with Stars of Destiny in the title should be HD/ recent videos. The first 3 are from awhile back before I returned to the game.

Or just search on youtube for certain series cutscenes (main, Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Uhrgan, and Wings of the Goddess).

Shouta

Snaku said:

There also was a site with the entire storyline for FFXI done in screenshots I think but I can't recall what it was called now.

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
Fail for editing over some of the best music in the game. :3

:lol I was thinking about just using that and muting the sound so it wouldnt skip everywhere, but I couldnt get Movie Maker to accept the file.

Besides, you know you like Skies of Arcadia. HD is up.

Tabris

Just got 35 for Usukane Body. Once I sell a couple things and buy my 12 ingots (within a week hopefully) I will be 5/5 Usukane :)

Quick question, how much does Black Tathlum/Cerb Mantle+1 sell for on Fairy (or any other servers people in this thread may be on). I may server hop a mule with items and gil, then server hop back another character with 12 ingots + gil.

Tabris

Teknoman said:
:lol I was thinking about just using that and muting the sound so it wouldnt skip everywhere, but I couldnt get Movie Maker to accept the file.

Besides, you know you like Skies of Arcadia. HD is up.

Very cool video as always.

Just noticed one thing. You should look into http://www.windower.net/

The difference in ease of use and improvement in effeciency. Like as a BLU, when you need to switch between the big 3 equipment set, tp gear, ws gear, idle gear. You can do so at a single click of a button swapping all gear instead of hitting multiple macros. Makes the game easier.

Just a heads up to look into whenever you got some time. Even at the worse, it's nice for simple plugins like TPParty (can see the TP of party members) and distance (allows you to see how far away from mob/pc you are to determine aoe ranges and spell/ranged attack ranges)

Rawk Hawk

Oh no, looking up some stuff today I think I screwed myself over a little...

Last night after completing the first WotG mission I warped back to go up to the Tree for skill ups, now I'm reading that "it's not advised to head back to the present time before you activate another Maw." Say here the only way to get back into the past is via the Maw past gate #3 in GC? Guessing places like that are fairly dead at this point, anyone know how we can tractor to it and save time?

NeoForte

Rawk Hawk said:
Oh no, looking up some stuff today I think I screwed myself over a little...

Last night after completing the first WotG mission I warped back to go up to the Tree for skill ups, now I'm reading that "it's not advised to head back to the present time before you activate another Maw." Say here the only way to get back into the past is via the Maw past gate #3 in GC? Guessing places like that are fairly dead at this point, anyone know how we can tractor to it and save time?

If you have not activated a Maw from within the past then your only option is to return to the maw of the zone you were spit into in the past. If it was the one past the 3rd Door then yes. I was lucky I arrived in Batallia downs first.

Rawk Hawk

NeoForte said:
If you have not activated a Maw from within the past then your only option is to return to the maw of the zone you were spit into in the past. If it was the one past the 3rd Door then yes. I was lucky I arrived in Batallia downs first.

Oh I arrived in Batallia Downs as well, actually went in the Maw there as well.. so I return there? Oh man, that's awesome news. I was kicking myself for warping out so fast. Hopefully campaignsdon't freeze up my xbox like beseiged does. Always liked beseiged, sucks I can't really do it anymore.

Thanks Neo for easing my mind.

NeoForte

Rawk Hawk said:
Oh I arrived in Batallia Downs as well, actually went in the Maw there as well.. so I return there? Oh man, that's awesome news. I was kicking myself for warping out so fast. Hopefully campaignsdon't freeze up my xbox like beseiged does. Always liked beseiged, sucks I can't really do it anymore.

Thanks Neo for easing my mind.

Np. Campaigns aren't as bad as Besieged. I mean they lag out out but usually they won't freeze the 360. Besieged I never do on 360 without turning every chat filter on and even then I am pretty much guaranteed to freeze up.

Rawk Hawk

NeoForte said:
Np. Campaigns aren't as bad as Besieged. I mean they lag out out but usually they won't freeze the 360. Besieged I never do on 360 without turning every chat filter on and even then I am pretty much guaranteed to freeze up.

I keep all the chat filters on all the time anymore, made tanking very hard.. use to have only like 2 or 3 ones turned on to give me the important things happening but blocking everything else.

Want to say it was the spells/abilities started on or by me, and on or by the enemy, I'll toy with it later.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SUPARSTARX said:
How long does it take to level a new char ground up to max nowadays?
Took my paladin around 6 days.

Snaku said:

I would link you to my post in the last thread which had several torrent file links but they are all dead now, luckily the author of the videos had rehosted them all and is even in the process of adding new ones!

http://ffxicutscenes.blogspot.com/

Now it's Vuze, which is no longer accepting user-generated content as of December 1, 2009. In fact, it appears that none of my videos are available from Vuze anymore, which is why all my links and embedded previews are now broken.

new host comes with a catch:
All right, it took a month, but all of my videos are finally fully uploaded on Veoh now. A couple of notes about the new host:

1. For videos longer than 30 minutes, if you want to watch the full video rather than just a 5 minute preview, you need download/install the Veoh Web Player. There is a link over on the right side of my blog, or you can let the website prompt you.

2. Full-screen viewing using Veoh's built-in viewers will display in lower quality than the original movies. For best results, I recommend downloading the entire videos using the Web Player, then opening up the downloaded file using Windows Media Player, DivX Player, or some other viewer. Since the videos are all .divx files, you'll need the DivX codec. There is a link on the right of this page to download the codec if you don't already have it.

you can go by his updated blog posts or go directly to the videos here:
http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/publisher:lawtechguy/sort/most recent

if he didn't change anything/new hosts doesn't resize the videos, my list should still be correct:

Main game:

The Shadow Lord
Full, 61 min, 0.58 GB

The Story of Windurst
Full, 156 min, 1.15 GB

The Story of San d'Oria
Full, 110 min, 1.03 GB

The Story of Bastok
Full, 127 min, 0.43 GB

Additional stories:

Adventuring Fellow
Full, 65 min, 0.46 GB

A Timely Visit
Full, 29 min, 0.23 GB

First Addon:

Rise of the Zilart
Full, 79 min, 0.76 GB

Second Addon:

Chains of Promathia
Chapter 1, 22 min, 0.17 GB
Chapter 2, 29 min, 0.26 GB
Chapter 3, 64 min, 0.47 GB
Chapter 4, 46 min, 0.40 GB
Chapter 5, 134 min, 1.09 GB
Chapter 6, 50 min, 0.48 GB
Chapter 7, 43 min, 0.36 GB
Chapter 8, 47 min, 0.45 GB
Epilogue, 37 min, 0.35 GB

Additional stories:

Storms of Fate & Apocalypse Nigh
Full, 25 min, 0.22 GB

Signed in Blood & Tea with a Tonberry
Full, 13 min, 0.09 GB

Tuning In & Tuning Out
Full, 19 min, 0.14 GB

One Good Deed?
Full, 4 min, 0.04 GB

Chasing Dreams & The Search for Goldmane
Full, 24 min, 0.21 GB

Third Addon:

Treasures of Aht Urhgan
Part 1, 70 min, 0.67 GB
Part 2, 112 min, 1.05 GB
Part 3, 70 min, 0.67 GB
Part 4, 60 min, 0.57 GB
Part 5, 59 min, 0.56 GB

Fourth Addon:

Wings of the Goddess
Part 1, 69 min, 0.33 GB

The Past of Windurst
Part 1, 59 min, 0.30 GB

The Past of Bastok
Part 1, 53 min, 0.20 GB

The Past of San d'Oria
Part 1, 67 min, 0.29 GB

btw.:
I'm in the process of recording main missions 8-15; got all the ones from Sandy which is like half of them right there. Should have another video up in a week or two.

he added last month:

Second Add-on Scenario:

A Moogle Kupo d'Etat - Evil in Small Doses
Full, 46 min, ? GB

my OP with some more info about the videos:
SolidusDave said:
knowing I probably won't ever see (or finish) all of FFXI storylines, I searched the net a bit today to see if someone made some videos of them.
"lawtechguy" made full video compilations of most of the main stuff, all credit to him.

He even edited some of them to e.g. include the S.O.B. quests into the Windurst storyline.

I think this could be also interesting for the FF fans who never played FFXI so they don't miss out the story/stories (obviously it's not the same experience as if you would play them).

[...]

no gameplay, same player character (dressed differently sometimes), no dat-changes as far as I can tell, probably max standard PC settings, chat filters etc. on
He clicks as fast as you can read the text so it's a good watch, a bit tweaked colours/settings and 16:9 would have been nice though.
I think the files are 640x480@25fps, Stereo 160 kb/s

lawtechguy, support him :D

if he adds more of the bigger questlines like the Serpent Generals story, it would be a somewhat complete (and consistent) representation of the story in ffxi (which may even make the games flamers understand why FFXI > all other FFs story-content-wise despite being a mmorpg)

hgplayer1

Rawk Hawk said:
I keep all the chat filters on all the time anymore, made tanking very hard.. use to have only like 2 or 3 ones turned on to give me the important things happening but blocking everything else.

Want to say it was the spells/abilities started on or by me, and on or by the enemy, I'll toy with it later.

You might also want to try turning off all effects and maybe weather and shadows. Can't remember if those are all options on the 360 version but I remember turning off everything I could for besieged and sometimes campaign.

Rawk Hawk

hgplayer1 said:
You might also want to try turning off all effects and maybe weather and shadows. Can't remember if those are all options on the 360 version but I remember turning off everything I could for besieged and sometimes campaign.

I haven't checked, on the Ps2 these were not options you could change.. but it very well could be for the 360. I will check them out after I get out of work, thanks. I am going to work on getting access to campaigns today, so I may be roaming around the past trying to figure everything out. If anyone wants to do some campaigns and doesn't mind noob questions, let me know.

hgplayer1

Rawk Hawk said:
I haven't checked, on the Ps2 these were not options you could change.. but it very well could be for the 360. I will check them out after I get out of work, thanks. I am going to work on getting access to campaigns today, so I may be roaming around the past trying to figure everything out. If anyone wants to do some campaigns and doesn't mind noob questions, let me know.

I just checked and you can turn on/of effects. This might help the game run a little better but it probably wont keep you from locking up in besieged. I cant remember what kind of luck I had in besieged the last time I played on 360.

Campaign battles are easier to manage. I would suggest in addition to chat filters and effects settings that you try to zone out of the area you are in often. I used to teleport back home after a battle was done even if I intended on continuing to fight in that same area.

Are you in our LS on Fairy? Id be glad to help you with the campaign stuff later.

Edit: nevermind I backtracked this thread a bit and saw that you have a pearl. Let me know if you need help later.

hgplayer1

also ...

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

New Version Update Announced! (02/23/2010)

We're pleased to announce that the development team is hard at work on the next FINAL FANTASY XI version update, which is currently on track for a mid-March release!

As always, a host of new additions and enhancements are in store for you, the details of which will first be unveiled to the public at VanaFest 2010 on Sunday, February 28.

Those unable to attend the event need not despair, as extensive coverage will be provided via the VanaFest official site and Topics, including a streaming video feed and multilingual commentary from the international community teams as previously mentioned in this space. Don't miss out on the festivities!

Teknoman

Damn immortals...

nnjfpg.jpg

b6zhtv.jpg

Next time forget elixirs and all that. Just buffs, food, stunning, spells and skillchains for me.

0/3 so far.

EDIT: VICTORY!

hgplayer1

congrats Tek!

what are your plans for exp to 75? if youre gonna exp in TOAU areas and you need a DD count me in! I could use the IS and merit points.

unfortunately I might be pretty swamped with work this weekend.

Sanic

Quick question for everyone.

I don't really play MMOs, at all. I've only ever very casually played a few free ones here and there. But, for whatever reason, i'm interested in sitting on my big comfy couch and trying out an MMO. So I think i'm gonna pick up the newest 360 version of the game at some point in the next day or two and I was just wondering if there is anything I should know or be aware of, any tips? I think i'm gonna pick up a prepaid card (they still make those right?) so i'm not locked in to this or have to worry about a credit card.

notworksafe

Been a while since I played this (never got super far in it but I did unlock a subjob!) and I was just wondering if a Mac version was every put out? When I played it was the PS2 version on PS3, but I'm considering jumping back in and now that I have a good gaming laptop I wanted to try the PC version...but I'd prefer to play on the Mac side. If not I may just pick up the dirt cheap steam version.

Also, are there prepaid cards? I would like to just give it another shot without having to sign up for a subscription.

hgplayer1

Teknoman said:
Probably TOAU since I havent really spent enough time in the east.

Well got a party with blood and ryu and some randoms last night and got around 40k and some IS.

I guess limbus is tonight but I wish I could get some assaults done to rank up.

notworksafe said:
Been a while since I played this (never got super far in it but I did unlock a subjob!) and I was just wondering if a Mac version was every put out? When I played it was the PS2 version on PS3, but I'm considering jumping back in and now that I have a good gaming laptop I wanted to try the PC version...but I'd prefer to play on the Mac side. If not I may just pick up the dirt cheap steam version.

Also, are there prepaid cards? I would like to just give it another shot without having to sign up for a subscription.

Pretty sure you'd have to make a windows partition and play it on that side.. sorry.

notworksafe

Bummer on no Mac version. Guess it's Steam for me. Is there any issue with the Steam version and Windower? Also, does the Steam version come with a free 30 days? That would be rather nice.

And everyone is on Fairy realm, correct?

Jbird34

pancakesandsex said:
No prepaid cards that I know of.

HG I'm gonna be looking to rank up in assault as well after the Nyzul climb is over.

I have been looking to do some assault also, the only one I have done is the Mamool one. I should be around tonight sometime so when I log on I will see if you guys are up for it.

notworksafe said:
Is there any issue with the Steam version and Windower?

i bought the game off steam a few days ago and haven't had any problems using windower with it. i was having a problem with screentearing while using windower but i found a patch that fixed the issue.

Also, does the Steam version come with a free 30 days? That would be rather nice.

yes it comes with a thirty day trial.

for mmo newbies such as myself the game seems a bit daunting. the thing that bothers me the most is that there isn't an onscreen miny map that hightlights quest givers and whatnot.

WickedLaharl said:
for mmo newbies such as myself the game seems a bit daunting. the thing that bothers me the most is that there isn't an onscreen miny map that hightlights quest givers and whatnot.

I know I'm just highlighting the common thought that "FFXI players are masochists," however I HATE games that mark quest NPCs for you.

I've sat in my roommates' rooms watching them play their MMOs (WoW and Aion) and they're often mindlessly running around questing for exp. They'll run to an NPC with a little marker on it, skip through all the text, run to the next one, maybe find some quest item, etc.

To me, knowing and caring about what my character is actually doing in the game world is vital to a good, immersive, enjoyable experience. It seems such a joke to me when quests are nothing more than running from this marked spot to the next, maybe killing a monster or something, and then watching a little bar fill up. People say FFXI is so grind-y, but I would argue that this mindlessness of questing in other games only highlights the meaninglessness of MMO grind. All my progression in FFXI felt meaningful because the game was set up for that. I had to interact with other players, make friendships, solve puzzles, interact with NPCs who felt lifelike and more than two-dimensional quest-givers, etc. Other MMOs I've played/seen, not so much.

I hate to be arguing for "my MMO is better than yours" because those arguments tend to be nearly as bad as "my console is better than yours" arguments. But this whole "marking quest NPCs on the map" thing just makes me wonder "well then why even have quests?"

notworksafe

Having played both FFXI and WoW, (though I haven't played FFXI since it first came out on PS2 and a little bit in 2008) I can see the point of the ! mark for quests. It's useful for newbies who haven't leveled to full before. The problem is that they become very dull and just as grindy as anything else if you are going through a second (or third or even fourth) time.

The grouping in FFXI does add a new dimension and really highlights the MM part of MMO, but sometimes the lack of quests can make you feel a little lost and be frustrating if you aren't used to that.

I guess it's just based on what experience you come from. EQ1 players don't see a problem with playing FFXI as it is, but people who played WoW as a first MMO can take some time to adjust to a more "old-school" (not bad) style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom