• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgplayer1

Despite a power outage that lasted the better part of 3 hours I reactivated and was in the process of updating when I passed out last night.

I should be able to log in tonight at some point but not sure how long I will be on.

I hate you all.

creid

Welcome to Asura.
N7YAt.png
I guess when you're playing a 10 year old game, it's best to reference 10 year old jokes?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Welcome to Asura.

We were in Abyssea killing mobs, killing fast, and this group asks if we wouldn't mind alternating pops, we said no becasue we had seen that it took them 10 minutes to kill a mob, but us it only took maybe 2 or 3. They git all pissy, start trash talking.

Long story short one of them called us "The black people of the server"

We laughed on vent for a good 5 minutes.

Would anyone mind helping me get sam? I already have my Kazham Airship Pass.

Do I need Norg rep first?

You don't need rep for job quests. Do you already have it flagged? I can probably help in like 15~ minutes.

I expect to be home by ~4:00pm, Central time, so any time after that is fine for me, really.

I was trying to farm up the items last night on my own, and it was pretty slow going. I did get the Fossilized Bone, but no sign of a Seasoning Stone or Fossilized Fang. I probably wasn't fighting the most efficient mobs either, but whatever.

Where were you farming? I tried Dangruf for like 2 hours and solo'd off like 5 pages worth of mobs and got nothing.

B-Dex

You don't need rep for job quests. Do you already have it flagged? I can probably help in like 15~ minutes.

Where were you farming? I tried Dangruf for like 2 hours and solo'd off like 5 pages worth of mobs and got nothing.

I'm not home till later cause I have to actually work :(. But I have the next 3 days off. Go Canada Day!

I'm not home till later cause I have to actually work :(. But I have the next 3 days off. Go Canada Day!

Ah, okay. I have to get up at like 3:30am tomorrow so I won't be on that late tonight (if at all), but if you still happen to need assistance in the future, I'll be glad to help.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just double check with people,

I want to make sure that it's correct before I told my friend to go ahead and buy the FFXI collection from Amazon/GameStop.

To clarify his situation,

He bought used FFXI collection for Xbox360 with knowledge that codes could be used. As he suspected that it was used, so he want to play FFXI on Xbox360, but he have no way to access to PC in any form.

If he purchase FFXI from amazon/gamestop. he would get registration code without requiring to install the games on computer, right? Then can he use the registration codes on 360 instead and install the contents from 360?

I would hate to see him wasting his money away if I simply misunderstood people here.

Joei

After reactivating my character after 5 years and installing the game and all that, I go to play and it says I have an update to do and it's going to take 10 and a half hours... :/ what the what..... and I was ready to dive in tonight, lol

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is the Windower download site down for anyone else? I'm trying to grab it again.

Shouta

Just double check with people,

I want to make sure that it's correct before I told my friend to go ahead and buy the FFXI collection from Amazon/GameStop.

To clarify his situation,

He bought used FFXI collection for Xbox360 with knowledge that codes could be used. As he suspected that it was used, so he want to play FFXI on Xbox360, but he have no way to access to PC in any form.

If he purchase FFXI from amazon/gamestop. he would get registration code without requiring to install the games on computer, right? Then can he use the registration codes on 360 instead and install the contents from 360?

I would hate to see him wasting his money away if I simply misunderstood people here.

As I recall, codes are shared between versions so it doesn't matter if you have the PC codes or the 360 Codes. If you have the 360 version, you can use the PC codes to create your account, I believe. But I haven't done that myself so someone else may know more in detail.

LowParry

So the cavernous maw cutscene kills my client all the time and I'm not really sure how to fix it.

I'm currently updating my vid drivers and will try again when I'm done.

Kandinsky

Oh shit I hope this thing is done by sunday, or you losers will have to do genkai again for me!

Edit: god I miss my melee whm lol, wonder if they added some new DD gear for it, probably not. Also my NIN and SCH *dies*

LowParry

So only thing I could find my issues is possible corupt files. So going to do a file check. If that don't work, then I'm doing a fresh install directly through PO (which is going to SUCK). If that don't work, then no SCH class for me then I guess.

Kokonoe

Banned
So only thing I could find my issues is possible corupt files. So going to do a file check. If that don't work, then I'm doing a fresh install directly through PO (which is going to SUCK). If that don't work, then no SCH class for me then I guess.

Did you try doing the cutscene without windower?

LowParry

Did you try doing the cutscene without windower?

Yeah. I've done just about everything to the point of having the game on the lowest settings possible. It's just not working.

Edit: Heh. GamerGate installing the full client this time? Must be my lucky night.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Still no luck with the Windower download, it's still down.

Hope it'll be up by tomorrow. Made a new character, name is Tenyayaya and I started out in Windurst this time. Liking it so far, good music.

Kokonoe

Banned
Camate confirms Rune Fencers use Great Swords as their main.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/24612-Mystic-Knight-2nd-new-job?p=330991#post330991
Looking at the name “rune fencer” it is actually not a magic based job, as they will be consuming runes to gain special effects. To give a bit more insight into the actual name, I will share a quick Japanese lesson with you all. Red mage, black mage, and other “mage” jobs utilize the kanji
“魔道士” which denotes a mage or wizard-type role. On the other hand, rune fencer in Japanese
is “魔導剣士” which uses a slightly different kanji “魔導.” Both are actually pronounced the same way (madou) but are different in the sense that the latter is used to denote more of a sage-type character. With that said, it might seem to overlap with the image of red mage, but it is in fact completely different.

On another note, for all of you who may still be wondering what the main weapon for rune fencer will be, as many has guessed it will be great sword. However, they will still be able to fully utilize one-hand swords as well.

Attack wise, since they are using great sword, we are planning to have them deal higher damage than paladins. As a tank role though, generating higher enmity than your melee and other damage dealers with attacks alone is quite impossible, so we will be looking into other methods to gain enmity.

In regards to their defensive capabilities, as was stated their specialty is magical defense and elemental resistance, but they will not be able to have all resistances enhanced at once and will have to use runes skillfully to enhance themselves.

We were in Abyssea killing mobs, killing fast, and this group asks if we wouldn't mind alternating pops, we said no becasue we had seen that it took them 10 minutes to kill a mob, but us it only took maybe 2 or 3. They git all pissy, start trash talking.

Long story short one of them called us "The black people of the server"

We laughed on vent for a good 5 minutes.

Yeah, I don't like it either when that occurs. I think more mobs in Abyssea should have multiple pop areas. That is pretty messed up, though.

Joei

Well that was weird. I loaded up my character that was in the CoP area and I was like, ok, now what...? Tele'd to Sandy, rode around on a choco for a bit, then warped to my HP in the ToAU expansion town, I forget the name, and did nothing but check the AH for prices. I really have no idea what I could be doing now, lol. I think I might want to start a new job, but the only one I have that isn't leveled is DRK. The only extra jobs I unlocked, though, are NIN, BRD, RNG, and DRK and I think another one but I forget. And I'm at 75 with my Bard and if I wanted to level up I'd have to do the cap quests I believe. It also looks like there's so much new armor and stuff to do.

Again, I haven't played in 5 years and have no clue what kind of stuff I can be doing. Does anyone have any suggestions on stuff I can do to get my feet what again as well as see some of the new stuff that's out? I have the expansions up to ToAU (never bought WotG since that was released after I quit), max fame in all the towns, and am ranked 8 in Sandy. I don't have the mini expansions or whatever and don't plan on buying them or WotG just yet, at least not till I'm sure I can stick with the game for a little bit. My job levels, off the top of my head, are BRD @75, WAR, WHM and THF (I think) @60, BLM, NIN RNG, MNK @ 40, and I think RDM around 20. DRK is 1 and I think that's all my jobs. So I don't have that many extra jobs unlocked, but I'm sure that'd be no problem if I decide I want to play with a new job.

And how hard is it to level up? I searched the areas outside of Sandy and there were only a few people around. I didn't search the dunes though. I looked in Jeuno and it seemed pretty bare and the town I HP'd to seemed to only have a bunch of 99's and mules around. Do people level up the same way they used to? At the moment, what I'm thinking is to start leveling DRK up just to get a feel, but I dunno. I have about 1 mil gil, so I don't think it'd be an issue starting the job up and getting the right equipment. I also need to clean out my mog house a little and open some space up. Sorry for the long post, but if anyone can help or has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Shouta

I'd highly recommend picking up the Abyssea expansions. If you can, I think you can use the all-encompassing collection codes sold on like Steam and etc, to get all the mini-expansions for a cheap price. I think it works but I'm not quite as sure.

Anyway, Abyssea is the primary high level XPing grounds and a lot of the new, standard high level gear can be gotten there. There's stuff even higher than the stuff from Abyssea but it's a bit harder to get so getting your new AF and upgrading it to at least +1 will give you a new base to work with.

As for low-leveling jobs, most people don't do standard XP parties anymore. Most will do Grounds of Valor in a place like Gusgen by using level synch. It's much faster than before and you'll blaze through levels.

Joei

I'd highly recommend picking up the Abyssea expansions. If you can, I think you can use the all-encompassing collection codes sold on like Steam and etc, to get all the mini-expansions for a cheap price. I think it works but I'm not quite as sure.

Anyway, Abyssea is the primary high level XPing grounds and a lot of the new, standard high level gear can be gotten there. There's stuff even higher than the stuff from Abyssea but it's a bit harder to get so getting your new AF and upgrading it to at least +1 will give you a new base to work with.

As for low-leveling jobs, most people don't do standard XP parties anymore. Most will do Grounds of Valor in a place like Gusgen by using level synch. It's much faster than before and you'll blaze through levels.

When you state low-leveling jobs, do you mean from level 1 to 20, 40... ? What I mean is, what range are you implying? I think, rather than jump into Abyssea, it might be smarter for me to start low level again with DRK just to get the feel of battling again. And if I start at 1, do I just go outside the town and battle the first few levels like before? You know, I'd hate to join a group at 75 and not have any clue what I should be doing. I could look at another website like a wiki or alla, but I think it might be a bit overwhelming to be honest considering all the new stuff that's been released. Also, how difficult are the limit break quests for post 75? If I recall, the one for going 50-55 was a pain, but the rest were pretty easy.

As for your suggestion, I looked at the SE website and I can get WotG with a bunch of mini-expansions for like 15, but maybe I'll check out Steam.

Shouta

Low level as 1-75, lol. If you want to do that to get a feel of the game again, it'd be a good idea or just solo for a bit to get the feel of combat and your bearings again.

Joei

Low level as 1-75, lol. If you want to do that to get a feel of the game again, it'd be a good idea or just solo for a bit to get the feel of combat and your bearings again.

Haha, wow. Things seem to have changed a lot. 1-75 would take a long time to do before. How long does that take to go from 1-75 now? Or from 75-99? What levels can you do Grounds of Valor at? Do people still do the CoP missions or ToAU missions and stuff? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks a lot for your help and your replies.

On a side note, stuff seems to have dropped crazy amounts in price. I remember farming Astral rings in Oz with a THF on another character I had and selling those for like 200k a pop, which was a lot back then, lol. Then, after they moved those, I went to farming Life Belts on my current character and getting decent money for those too. I think that was the game I thought I was going back to. :/ But I think I'll give this a try anyways.

Shouta

1-75 is pretty short now. It's skilling that takes a long time. For just leveling, you could probably get to 75 within a week with leisurely play, I believe. Abyssea really changed the landscape of XPing in the game so Grounds was added to do that as well. 100k, per hour isn't all that uncommon with a well-oiled machine so.

Missions and the like can be small-grouped now because they removed caps in COP for example. So only thing is to meet the number of people required for the mission.

Haha, wow. Things seem to have changed a lot. 1-75 would take a long time to do before. How long does that take to go from 1-75 now? Or from 75-99? What levels can you do Grounds of Valor at? Do people still do the CoP missions or ToAU missions and stuff? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks a lot for your help and your replies.

On a side note, stuff seems to have dropped crazy amounts in price. I remember farming Astral rings in Oz with a THF on another character I had and selling those for like 200k a pop, which was a lot back then, lol. Then, after they moved those, I went to farming Life Belts on my current character and getting decent money for those too. I think that was the game I thought I was going back to. :/ But I think I'll give this a try anyways.

This should sum things up for you I think:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/13748/vermillion-cloak
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/13231/life-belt
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/13548/astral-ring

It's a whole new world out there. Don't feel the need to rush, just get yourself re-acquainted with new ways things work and have fun.

Joei

1-75 is pretty short now. It's skilling that takes a long time. For just leveling, you could probably get to 75 within a week with leisurely play, I believe. Abyssea really changed the landscape of XPing in the game so Grounds was added to do that as well. 100k, per hour isn't all that uncommon with a well-oiled machine so.

Missions and the like can be small-grouped now because they removed caps in COP for example. So only thing is to meet the number of people required for the mission.

A week? What the heck, lol. Wow, ok then. That's cool they removed the caps on the CoP missions. I was on the L50 capped one on a ship if I remember correctly and the group I was in was having a hard time and I just got burnt out from the game and the time needed to do things. Are people still all gung-ho about armor and stuff? Prices were really cheap when I looked earlier on stuff like Assault Jerkin (actually wasn't this since it's R/E, but it was something like this) and someone had a Kirin's Osode in their bazaar for like nothing. I imagine if you're leveling up so quickly it might seem pointless to stay on top of armor if it's not needed for as long or if the players needs are going to change so quickly, but I remember that kind of thing was all the rave back then. Hell, the +1 elemental staves didn't seem expensive when I looked either. Are the armor pieces people get for the high levels all EX drops now?

This should sum things up for you I think:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/13748/vermillion-cloak
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/13231/life-belt
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/13548/astral-ring

It's a whole new world out there. Don't feel the need to rush, just get yourself re-acquainted with new ways things work and have fun.

Thanks. It's crazy how much things have changed.

Joei

To give you an idea of how fast leveling is, it took me about under a week of casual playing to level Warrior to 11, White Mage to 30, Black Mage to 23, and Bard to 23, and (with the awesome help from the GAF Linshekk!) get Subjob. :p

This was casual playing, I could have gone a lot faster.

Damn! Nice! When you start out leveling a job, do you do you Grounds of Valor right off the bat? What do you do with a level 1 job? And are Grounds from one of the expansion packs? If so, I think I'm going to be forced into buying one right off the bat lol..... :/

Damn! Nice! When you start out leveling a job, do you do you Grounds of Valor right off the bat? What do you do with a level 1 job? And are Grounds from one of the expansion packs? If so, I think I'm going to be forced into buying one right off the bat lol..... :/

The only reasonable way to buy the game now is to get everything all at once, so....

Sophia

You can, and should, do Grounds/Fields of Valor right off the bat. The GoVs/FoVs are in every zone, and they give tons of XP (easily 800 to 1000 per clearing), near free refresh and regen (so you don't have to heal the oldfashion way) and near free Reraise. And Food. Some of them are in odd locations tho. I usually wait til level 3 if I'm in South Gustaberg/Bastok because the one there sometimes has a quadav near it.

And if you're going to buy anything, buy the Ultimate Collection - Abyssea Edition. Everything else is a waste of money.

Oh yeah, I'll be level 24 as a Bard in about... two minutes? :p

Joei

The only reasonable way to buy the game now is to get everything all at once, so....

Gotcha, thanks... and it's only 20 through Steam for everything so that's what I'll likely do

You can, and should, do Grounds/Fields of Valor right off the bat. The GoVs/FoVs are in every zone, and they give tons of XP (easily 800 to 1000 per clearing), near free refresh and regen (so you don't have to heal the oldfashion way) and near free Reraise. And Food. Some of them are in odd locations tho. I usually wait til level 3 if I'm in South Gustaberg/Bastok because the one there sometimes has a quadav near it.

And if you're going to buy anything, buy the Ultimate Collection - Abyssea Edition. Everything else is a waste of money.

Oh yeah, I'll be level 24 as a Bard in about... two minutes? :p

That's just wild. That makes it sound like leveling is super fast and easy. I might miss the party aspect of things from back then though. I think I'm going to log in later today if I have time and play with my DRK.

Sophia

That's just wild. That makes it sound like leveling is super fast and easy. I might miss the party aspect of things from back then though. I think I'm going to log in later today if I have time and play with my DRK.

I'm leveling in a Gusgen Mines Alliance right now. We have nine people. XP is pretty slow, actually.

Piecake

I didnt even know Square still supported this game since 14 came out, and now they are coming out with another expansion? Crazy.

This brings back some good memories. I had a human Thief a long long time ago, but eventually gave up due to me spending more time looking for a group than actual playing the game (shitty linkshell apparently). I definitely did enjoy myself though, and I liked the THF mechanic of applying aggro to the tank

My memory is a bit hazy on my in-game experiences, but I do remember some skull in some mine for an advanced job, and trying to farm (and failing miserably) some +3 agi neck or something on some level 15 beach.

Id probably try it out again for nostalgia sake alone, but that subscription fee kills it for me. Oh well, guess itll have to remain a good memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom