• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.
sistinechapel4.jpg

Welcome to the new Final Fantasy XI Community Thread!

With the new expansion “Seekers of Adoulin” announced this year at VanaFest in Japan, there has been an influx of new and returning players, so what better time than to revamp our community thread!

Our very own moderator Shouta runs the NeoGaf Linkshell on Sylph “Stars of Destiny”. There is also a linkshell for the Backloggery. SoD is open to everyone, and Seigoku is passing out pearls for Backloggery to whoever makes an account. Join us!

MANDIES.jpg

Sylph Server Player Directory

Since figuring out who is who between the various usernames everyone has can be confusing, I made a handy google doc to keep track. If you decide to join us, add yourself to the doc!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsK-qSOSLMrJdDJZTzRtb1ZBSzNMYlBfVzdnT1FNbFE#gid=0

MANDIES.jpg

New to FFXI?

Many of you will be playing FFXI for the first, time, some of you will be returning after so long it’s like a brand new game anyway. Here are a few things you should know.

New Player Tutorial:
-Several years ago a Turtorial was added. If you’re new to the game I suggest you follow it. It’s got some useful stuff that might give you a little more direction.

Quests:
-The game won’t tell you when you get quests, you can check your log, but there is no other indicator for when something counts as a quest besides some fanfare when you complete the less menial ones.
-There are a TON of quests
-Once something hits your log, try looking it up on http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org if it’s not immediately clear what to do. The game is very critical reading oriented in this respect.

Missions:
-The main storyline of the game is played out in the missions.
-These are like really important quests, and are acquired from the gate guards in your starting town. There are also expansion missions, which are usually triggered by entering relevant areas once certain conditions have been met.

Leveling:
-Two major systems have been introduced to aid leveling. Fields of Valor and Grounds of Valor
-People generally solo to about 10 or 20, then look in popular Grounds areas for an alliance to move up higher.
-Once you hit level 50 you will be capped until you undertake a Limit Break every 5 levels up until 99. These need only be done once, but certain jobs have special ones that are part of a larger questline, so you may want to do those too for fun!
-Remember, while you can level to cap very quickly in Abyssea, that doesn’t mean you’re automatically ready for all the level cap content. It’s not a race to the top, and you’ll only have a bad experience if you try and rush to do content that’s beyond your means.

Skill ups:
-Levels aren’t the only thing that matters. So does skill! You gain skill through repeating actions against monsters close or higher in level. Try and keep your skills up to date with the monsters and quests you are going to tackle, or you’ll have a lot of trouble living to tell the tale! The good news is you can now skill-up on Easy Prey monsters, and cap your skills on Decent Challenge ones!

Artifact Armor:
-Once you hit level 50 and begin your Limit Breaks, the quests for job specific gear called Artifact Armor will open up. This gear gives you that classic Final Fantasy look for your job, and often comes with some nice effects to augment your abilities. There are more powerful sets like this later as well called Relic and Empyrean

MANDIES.jpg

Gameplay Systems and Notable Changes for Returning Players:

Returning Player Guide by Byrth from BG

Limit Breaks are now soloable:
-The June 14th 2012 and March 27th 2012 updates introduced some new key items that make the limit breaks completely soloable up until level 95-99.
You can now pass the banishing gate in Garlaige Citadel and the weighted doors in Quicksand Caves alone by completing a quest.
-Do the quest Open Sesame
-Obtain a Pouch of Weighted Stones

Dynamis has been completely revamped:
-There is no longer an expensive entry fee
-You can enter every day
-Can be done with a small party for progression, gear, money

What is this Abyssea thing everyone keeps talking about?
-Get the initial quests for this started as soon as you hit 30
-Beginning the first few quests allows you to accumulate stones required for access
-There is no upper limit on these, so start right away so running out isn’t an issue when you need them!
-Abyssea Guide

Voidwatch:
-Start this as soon as you hit 75
-Talking to the npcs in each city gets you a fast way between a lot of far away places
-Advancing through the tiers gets you more warps
-This also operates on stones that accumulate at a slower rate than Abyssea. Start this asap so you can have them when you need them, even if you don’t plan to do anything with this for a long time.
-Voidwatch Guide

MANDIES.jpg

Trailers and Media

Final Fantasy XI Treasures of Aht Urghan Trailer
Final Fantasy XI Wings of the Goddess Trailer
Final Fantasy XI Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition Trailer
Final Fantasy XI Seekers of AdoulinTrailer
A Little FFXI Story
Norio Wakamoto Promotional Videos

MANDIES.jpg

Where to Buy
Steam
Amazon Download

There is also an Xbox 360 version but you’ll need to buy the Abyssea expansions separately.

MANDIES.jpg

Other Links:
Official Forum
Blue Gartr Forum

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Awesome, a new thread.

Scott, I saw your message in game but I have no idea how to respond in game :S

Sophia

Seriously played this game for 6 years before I learned this.

There's a lot of nifty shortcut keys in the game. <3

Did you know that Control L is linkshell chat? Or that you can propose a vote with /propose?

Also, for those of you having targeting issues in Alliances, you can make "/target <bt>" into a macro, and it'll automatically select a mob that your party or alliance is in combat with. :D

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There's a lot of nifty shortcut keys in the game. <3

Did you know that Control L is linkshell chat? Or that you can propose a vote with /propose?

Also, for those of you having targeting issues in Alliances, you can make "/target <bt>" into a macro, and it'll automatically select a mob that your party or alliance is in combat with. :D

I knew propose. I used to do votes in Dragon's Aery during old Fafnir camps with silly questions.

Kokonoe

Banned
Nice job, when I get the free time I'll write some mini-guides for new players for the OP.

In other news..

Gooooold Rangeeeeeeeeeer

I got into this Japanese Kalasutrax party last night and finally after 80ish-90ish victorys I finally got the helmet. But wow, I don't know what it is, but Japanese players are amazing at FFXI.

Most of the parties I joined for Kalasutrax in the past either struggle a few times to just defeat it once, or don't even defeat it. The best party I was in for it before this had 3 defeats, but there were deaths as well and this was back to back restoning.

In this Japanese party, not only did we whipe the floor with Kalasutrax, these people were proccing the thing the second it popped, and we didn't lose a single time. Amazing. The White Mage who made the party I believe was using either the Empyrean or Relic (or both?) dual wielding fighting the entire time.

aceface

If I were to start playing this game from scratch, how many hours are we talking before I got level enough, etc. to get to the new stuff they are releasing now?

Azuran

Banned
If I were to start playing this game from scratch, how many hours are we talking before I got level enough, etc. to get to the new stuff they are releasing now?

I took me about 3-4 months with some friends and my LS helping me along the way. My main is BLU as well and I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so my progress is probably gonna be slower compared to others. For example, I spent a lot of time working on CoP before hitting 75 just to get access to a few spells :/

Sophia

If you put in about eight hours of time, you could potentially hit level 30 in a week. 75 doesn't take much longer. A month or two if you're dedicated, and maybe three or four if you're not. I'm sure everyone in the GAF linkshell would be willing to help you too.

Final Fantasy XI is not really a game about the endgame like World of Warcraft is. It's more about the journey. You could rush to 75, or you could be like me and get sidetracked very easily and enjoy every aspect the game has.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just double check with people,

I want to make sure that it's correct before I told my friend to go ahead and buy the FFXI collection from Amazon/GameStop.

To clarify his situation,

He bought used FFXI collection for Xbox360 with knowledge that codes could be used. As he suspected that it was used, so he want to play FFXI on Xbox360, but he have no way to access to PC in any form.

If he purchase FFXI from amazon/gamestop. he would get registration code without requiring to install the games on computer, right? Then can he use the registration codes on 360 instead and install the contents from 360?

I would hate to see him wasting his money away if I simply misunderstood people here.

I just bumped the question. I would like to have more detail answer like Shouta suggested.

I just got the Abyssites from the three nations. Time for Voidwatch!

What's that?

Sophia

Codes are universal, as everyone plays on the same servers. You could buy it on Steam, not install it, use the codes, and play on the 360 version using the discs.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I just bumped the question. I would like to have more detail answer like Shouta suggested.

What's that?

It's a new endgame mob system. Fought in existing zones. Like Abyssea you have to start the quest line, and accumulate stones to participate (so flag the quest right as soon as you hit 75, even if you don't plan to start the fights yet). Advantage is that the mobs drop a treasure chest for every player fighting, the best loot is rare but you don't have to outlot people. Other than the final tier of fights, you can fight any mob, regardless of your progression in questline. It's best to try and progress throught he quest though, in addition to getting access to the final tier fights, Voidwatch progression gives access to the games most comprehensive travel system.

Kokonoe

Banned
If you put in about eight hours of time, you could potentially hit level 30 in a week. 75 doesn't take much longer. A month or two if you're dedicated, and maybe three or four if you're not. I'm sure everyone in the GAF linkshell would be willing to help you too.

Final Fantasy XI is not really a game about the endgame like World of Warcraft is. It's more about the journey. You could rush to 75, or you could be like me and get sidetracked very easily and enjoy every aspect the game has.

Well I don't doubt there is allure in the journey, FFXI's best aspect is that it has a tremendous amount of end-game. The game truly begins once you're max level.

Sophia

Well I don't doubt there is allure in the journey, FFXI's best aspect is that it has a tremendous amount of end-game. The game truly begins once you're max level.

That's really true of all MMOs that have had 10+ year lifespans. I'd say that FFXI does a much better job then any other MMO at keeping it's non-endgame content relevant.

It's certainly better than WoW, which keeps making content completely irrelevant with level cap increases and new expansions.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

If it helps, all of the current (full) expansions (except ToAU), and the city quests are tiered so you can start low level, and progress as you get higher level to start getting the story.

Boss Man

So how active are you guys on Sylph right now? Thinking of resubbing some time in the future but might move my character over from Bismarck since no one I know is playing there anymore.

BTW you forgot to mention the ballin-ass PS2 version. You jelly?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yes. Once you've got a Square Enix account made, you should be able to log in with any version of the game.

But he don't have any playonline account yet. He tried to accessed to POL via 360 and they requested for his POL ID, rather than Square-Enix ID.

Piecake

Decided to sign up for the free trial for nostalgia sake. They sure are taking their sweet time with the registration code email...

Sophia

But he don't have any playonline account yet. He tried to accessed to POL via 360 and they requested for his POL ID, rather than Square-Enix ID.

When you make your Square Enix ID, you get a PlayOnline account and ID with it. Once you update PlayOnline on the 360, it'll ask for both.

You go here. Click Square Enix Account Management system. Make your account with them, then register your FFXI codes and all that. At the end of the process you'll have both a POL ID and password, as well as a Square Enix ID and password. Then just update POL on the 360 and you're good to go.

So how active are you guys on Sylph right now? Thinking of resubbing some time in the future but might move my character over from Bismarck since no one I know is playing there anymore.

We're somewhat active in the GAF Linkshell, and Backloggery almost always has people.

EDIT: I take back the "Somewhat", as there's a lot of people on right now.

And that so called "Ballin" PS2 version isn't so balling next to PCs that have done the registry tweaks and look nearly a full generation ahead. =P

Joei

Sweet OP! Pretty helpful for the basics. I'm looking forward to getting a little more hands on time with the game tomorrow. I wish I was on Sylph, lol. I don't know if anyone I played with on Rag still plays now.

I stuck with platforms you can still purchase the game on.

::Rubs in salt::

Sweet OP! Pretty helpful for the basics. I'm looking forward to getting a little more hands on time with the game tomorrow. I wish I was on Sylph, lol. I don't know if anyone I played with on Rag still plays now.

Transferrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Additional note:
I'll add a more advanced section to the OP later about getting started with windower, extended macros, gear swapping and why it's important, etc.

Sophia

Do you have to download anything for Windower? I see they mention it in the config stuff, but when I played earlier it was fullscreen.

The Windower's a third party program that you have to download, yes. Once you've installed it, you run the game via the Windower. It is significantly better than Square Enix's own Windowed option in the config, and also allows you to use plugins which are similar to WoW's Addons.

Joei

The Windower's a third party program that you have to download, yes. Once you've installed it, you run the game via the Windower. It is significantly better than Square Enix's own Windowed option in the config, and also allows you to use plugins which are similar to WoW's Addons.

Ah, ok, thanks. I'm logged in now, I think I'm going to do the SAM quest. I really liked playing as SAM with my old, old character. I hope I can take the NMs down with my BRD though, lol. Should be fun.

And is DNC a good sub? I see a LOT of people have that as their subjob.

Clipse

So close to re-subbing now that I quit WoW.. Trying to decide if it's worth $25 to xfer my tarutaru paladin to Sylph or start fresh. Always wanted a female hume, but losing all that progress on my taru seems wasteful.

Does the 3rd party windower still support that race change plug-in? Site has been down for 3 days so I can't check myself.

Azuran

Banned
I was walking around Al'Taieu today farming some tissues for my obis when that ufo jerk decided to crash down on me and randomly attack me. However, instead of warping like I always do, I decided to fight back this time because there was no way i was gonna let that mess me with my farming session. What follow is probably the coolest experience I had in this game so far. Probably not as impressive as other stuff out there, but I'm still proud of what I managed to accomplish.

I wish I could had saved a screenshot of me standing over the dead body. oh well, my chat log will do.

After 9 years, glorious joyful moments and devastating painful ones, subscription fees, lost sleep, failed relationship (seriously) and most importantly A DAMN AWESOME AMOUNT OF BROTHERLY FUN I finally 'quit' (as in unsubscribed) a few months ago......

Will be back when they add the new Summon and then probably full time with the new expansion lol.

Woo FFXI forever! <3

So close to re-subbing now that I quit WoW.. Trying to decide if it's worth $25 to xfer my tarutaru paladin to Sylph or start fresh. Always wanted a female hume, but losing all that progress on my taru seems wasteful.

Does the 3rd party windower still support that race change plug-in? Site has been down for 3 days so I can't check myself.

Yeah plastigcsurgeon still works.

Seigyoku

Has anyone actually gotten an Empyrean weapon? I'd like to try, but those last few trials are brutal.

It's not perfect though, right? Doesn't it break AF equipment?

DNC AF is gender specific, so it would probably break that.

Never used it so don't know the details.

Seigyoku

And is DNC a good sub? I see a LOT of people have that as their subjob.

DNC is a good sub for a lot of jobs and a GREAT sub for soloing various things. I used it on THF forever since I didn't have Utsusemi:Ni for eons. Damn you Royal Jelly.

It's also good as a main and sub for Neo-Dyna, so it's worth unlocking and leveling for most people. AND THE AF IS ALL PRETTY!

Joei

DNC is a good sub for a lot of jobs and a GREAT sub for soloing various things. I used it on THF forever since I didn't have Utsusemi:Ni for eons. Damn you Royal Jelly.

It's also good as a main and sub for Neo-Dyna, so it's worth unlocking and leveling for most people. AND THE AF IS ALL PRETTY!

Oh that's cool. I don't even have WotG so I can't unlock it. :/ I'll have to look into the job cause I have no clue what they do in battle. I'm used to standard sub-jobs circa 2006, ha. Otherwise, I did the SAM quest last night and am in the process of going to Norg to finish it. I can't wait to start leveling a new job, it's been so long.

Kandinsky

Should have started this on the main gaming forum, like every OT you fool!

Anyways, trying to resub atm but it keeps giving me an 401 Error, fuse!.

Has anyone actually gotten an Empyrean weapon? I'd like to try, but those last few trials are brutal.
Shouldnt be THAT hard now I guess, well depending on which weapon, I remember, for example, gk being "easy".

B.K.

Shouldnt be THAT hard now I guess, well depending on which weapon, I remember, for example, gk being "easy".

It looks like the hardest part would be killing Abyssea NMs dozens of times. It would suck having to farm KIs every time and trying to find people to go with you to kill it.

Joei

I briefly considered starting a new character, but I did that once after I canceled my first character and regretted it. Redoing all the quests and missions and gettin max fame in all towns sucked hard. By the time I got my new character to where I was with my old character I just shuck my head, so pointless. If you really want to play on Sylph you'd be better off paying the 25 and bringing your old character unless you really, really want a new character model. I'm enjoying just playing again after so long and may transfer when I get a bit more comfortable. I'm also extremely happy I didn't start a new character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom