• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azuran

Banned
It looks like the hardest part would be killing Abyssea NMs dozens of times. It would suck having to farm KIs every time and trying to find people to go with you to kill it.

Dagger and great axe are a pain because farming ki and killing Glavoid is a pain in the ass. Sword and katana are pretty simple on the other hand. Briareus and Sobek ki are easy to farm and the NM itself can be easily duo or trio. Anything more is literally overkill.

Haven't tried the other weapons yet, but I'm gonna assume they're not as annoying as the dagger one.

Azuran

Banned
Great Axe is what I need. :/

Ouch. One tip I can give you is to try doing it when there's not a lot of people in Aby Tahrongi, otherwise you're gonna be competing with others trying to claim 2 different timed spawns, which is really annoying as hell. As long as you have a decent nin and whm with you, it shouldn't be that hard to farm ki.

drkOne

For someone who played FFXI during Sky/Sea time. Who didn't enjoy Dynamis tooooo much. And busted his ass doing Salvage, but never tried Eye-in-a-Jar or whatever the name is…

I got banned because of the Salvage duping, since then I got the game from Steam and leveled Corsair and Monk to 75ish and Ranger to 80ish in a week or so (did 1-75 on Monk in a 15h marathon and then quit because of how ridiculously easy I felt the game had become). Did a bit of low-man Sky but mostly got my equip from the AH…
I wouldn't have gotten back to the game if leveling wasn't so easy nowadays, but everywhere I looked it seemed like the challenge was absent.

Is there still the same level of challenge? I'm not looking for the grindy kind of challenge that Dynamis was for AF weapons.
I'm not looking to camp Kings or any kind of HNM for hours.
Progression in Sky and Sea wasn't too bad. Salvage drop rates were infuriating, but it was fun because it was done with a small group.

Before anyone judges me on the Salvage duping, I didn't know it'd be a banable offense. I got my full set of Skadi through hard work. I just did it because it was an easy way to get the set for Bard which I was leveling.
I didn't think the ban was fair, but I'm already over it.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Kokonoe

Banned
Empyrean Weapons are out of my league (I've poured about 20 hours into an unlucky few runs of Black Triple Stars and haven't completed it yet still). Now if I were able to complete all the trials(although I wouldn't go for a Twashtar now as it's not really worth it to have one), the parts where you have to farm the difficult Abyssea pops and NMs would be way too much.

I don't have WAR, but if I did, I'd settle for the low quality Empyrean as it's easy to get the weapon skill that way.

Empyrean Weapons are out of my league (I've poured about 20 hours into an unlucky few runs of Black Triple Stars and haven't completed it yet still). Now if I were able to complete all the trials(although I wouldn't go for a Twashtar now as it's not really worth it to have one), the parts where you have to farm the difficult Abyssea pops and NMs would be way too much.

I don't have WAR, but if I did, I'd settle for the low quality Empyrean as it's easy to get the weapon skill that way.

You're better off making a str magian and gearing for upheaval.

Sgblues

I kinda wished this revival of sorts had happened earlier, then I would have had more inclination to keep playing ffxi(had stopped in April) but then again if server transfers weren't $25 I would move over to Sylph to join you guys.

I kinda wished this revival of sorts had happened earlier, then I would have had more inclination to keep playing ffxi(had stopped in April) but then again if server transfers weren't $25 I would move over to Sylph to join you guys.

It's a good time to jump back in. If you have any inclination towards doing so, do it now.

Seigyoku

Black Triple Stars may have ruined my life, but hey! (Finished trials like 2/16-17, have 0 Glavoid shells, oh yeah!)

But do not, do NOT make a WoE non-Empy. It's not easier. WoE is done mostly on JP hours and not even that much anymore, and you'll be fighting desperately (and paying) to get upgrade items, for a weapon that isn't even worth it.

Shouta

WoE up to level 90 is mega-easy. The stages after, Devious Dice and the like are impossible. The 90 versions are pretty good still though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, go full empy or nothing. Only worthwhile non empy weapons in the magian line are some of the mage staffs (whm staff, smn staffs). Only notable non-empy magian weapon that's used by melee is the TP bonus Great Katana, which is better than the Masamune in some cases.

Kandinsky

Lol Iirc before I left the game I had the Katana, the Club and the Staff woe weapons, they were nice at the time, maybe inventory-1 these days D:

ZetaEpyon

For those who need it, it appears that the Windower site is back up.

Edit: Or not, the forums still aren't online I guess, just the front page...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dumb Question:

I think I know the fact that we don't need to download Abyssea because the files are in the update right?

My friend said that he can't find way to download them, but I told them that it's the updates that he have to download. I want to make sure that I am correct, right?

Dumb Question:

I think I know the fact that we don't need to download Abyssea because the files are in the update right?

My friend said that he can't find way to download them, but I told them that it's the updates that he have to download. I want to make sure that I am correct, right?

That's correct. Everything after Wings of the Goddess was distributed through updates.

Joei

Wow, people weren't lying that it's easy to level up now. Did they change the amount of base xp earned in battles? I went from 1-7 in mabye 45 minutes and only because I was running back to the Field Manual a few times to check up on what I could do. But that aside, I was earning over 100 for DC matches and with Empress band on I was earning over 200 for some solo battles.

Sophia

Wow, people weren't lying that it's easy to level up now. Did they change the amount of base xp earned in battles? I went from 1-7 in mabye 45 minutes and only because I was running back to the Field Manual a few times to check up on what I could do. But that aside, I was earning over 100 for DC matches and with Empress band on I was earning over 200 for some solo battles.

Yup. Base XP has been increased. You get a minimum of 100 soloing now. And of course for even faster XP, do the Fields of Valor and you're making 200+ minimum every six or so kills.

Joei

Yup. Base XP has been increased. You get a minimum of 100 soloing now.

That's crazy. And is there a difference between Fields and Grounds of Valor? I've read around and it seems the only difference is the location, unless I'm missing something.

Allard

That's crazy. And is there a difference between Fields and Grounds of Valor? I've read around and it seems the only difference is the location, unless I'm missing something.

Grounds of Valor has a growing 'bonus' to each page you finish culminating in double the starting EXP at the end.

Sophia

Grounds of Valor has a growing 'bonus' to each page you finish culminating in double the starting EXP at the end.

What Allard said. That, and Grounds are usually located in dungeons. =P

I spent months leveling SMN to 75 by myself with Fields of Valor back when its was new, no one was doing it and most the time I had the books/monsters completely to myself haha.

People on LS would be like why are you in Cape Terrigan so much??? Eventually it caught on and any time I came back for the odd merit or whatever the outpost became lag-city for me and claiming a page monster was like camping NMs.

Then people started doing SMN burns and its like oh.... well that would have been easier. Still I had capped skill from doing it 'properly' so I didn't mind, and it made me feel more attached to my pets cause we had such a long journey getting stronger together. <3

Now with Grounds of Valor and auto resubscribing pages etc the same thing could probably be achieved in a few days (if that?) lol, even ignoring the glory of Abyssea. So good.

In the last few years of the game I leveled so many jobs I'd always wanted to play 'just for fun' because exp wasn't an issue anymore, only storage management.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I spent months leveling SMN to 75 by myself with Fields of Valor back when its was new, no one was doing it and most the time I had the books/monsters completely to myself haha.

People on LS would be like why are you in Cape Terrigan so much??? Eventually it caught on and any time I came back for the odd merit or whatever the outpost became lag-city for me and claiming a page monster was like camping NMs.

Then people started doing SMN burns and its like oh.... well that would have been easier. Still I had capped skill from doing it 'properly' so I didn't mind, and it made me feel more attached to my pets cause we had such a long journey getting stronger together. <3

Now with Grounds of Valor and auto resubscribing pages etc the same thing could probably be achieved in a few days lol.

In the last few years of the game I leveled so many jobs I'd always wanted to play 'just for fun' because exp wasn't an issue anymore, only storage management.

SMN solo goes to Uleguard Range.

Kokonoe

Banned
Just thought I'd post this as once you've made a ton of progress on macros, it's not fun when an accident occurs and you lose them all. Had it happened to me months ago.

Saving to the Server

At the character selection screen, highlight the character to save the data for, and press the following buttons/keys. Then choose the slot in which you want to save the configuration information for the highlighted character.

PlayStation 2 Controller: L1 button + L3 button
XBOX 360 Controller: LB + left stick button
PC/Keyboard: Shift + Alt + Ctrl + B

Restoring from the Server

At the character selection screen, highlight the character to restore the data for, and press the following buttons/keys. Then choose the slot from which you want to load the configuration information for the highlighted character.

PlayStation 2: R1 button + R3 button
XBOX 360: RB + right stick button
PC/Keyboard: Shift + Alt + Ctrl + R

Deleting Data and Restoring Default Settings

At the character selection screen, highlight the character to restore the default data for, and press the following buttons/keys. Confirm deletion to restore default settings for the currently highlighted character.

PlayStation 2: R1 button + L2 button + R3 button + L3 button
XBOX 360: RB + LB + right stick button + left stick button
PC/Keyboard: Shift + Alt + Ctrl + D

SMN solo goes to Uleguard Range.

Bombs? I was never a fan of that. Stupid things just took forever to blow up for me. >_<

I found FoV much nicer, even when it was limited to once a game day. I'd basically just afk playing something else until it was time to do a run. Slow but 0 stress/risk of 'going backwards' which I liked.

Re Macro backup: YES! Do it! Also an added bonus they can span formats if you play multiple versions. I play at home on Xbox and at work (lol) on PC and I always had gimped macros at work cause I didn't know I could load my 'real' ones from a saved Xbox set until awhile ago. Very cool.

Kokonoe

Banned
I've been thinking of leveling up MNK just so I can farm Shinryu for the Twilight Mail easier. However, I know once I obtain the Mail, I'll never use the job again.

Shouta

I still haven't gotten that mail. I got lucky with the Helm though. It'd be nice to have, especially for say like my PLD on the crazy occasion I actually want to deal damage with it!

Kokonoe

Banned
I still haven't gotten that mail. I got lucky with the Helm though. It'd be nice to have, especially for say like my PLD on the crazy occasion I actually want to deal damage with it!

You can make some pretty cool refresh sets with it as well.

PLD Refresh +1
Twilight Mail +2
Ogier Hands Helm Feet Legs + 2
Empyrean Neck +1

Now if you're really crazy, you could do this.

PLD Refresh + 1
Twilight Mail + 2
Ogier Hands Feet + 1
That headband in Konschat Abyssea + 1
Panties from Brygid + 1
Empyrean Neck +1
Earring from Wings of the Goddess (While idle) + 1

Buttons

Did anyone pick up the 10th anniversary memorial book thing?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4757536186/logsoku00-22/

I really want it, but I dunno is it worth it for someone who can't read Japanese? It would be nice to look at the pictures but I feel it could just annoy me not being able to read bits I want to read lol.

I ordered it and according to Fedex tracking it's delivered but I'm still at work. I'll post some photos and impressions tonight. Hope I remember to post it here, but will def post in the pick-up thread. :)

Kokonoe

Banned
I think the random number generators are starting to like me.

UF112.png

I ordered it and according to Fedex tracking it's delivered but I'm still at work. I'll post some photos and impressions tonight. Hope I remember to post it here, but will def post in the pick-up thread. :)

Cool! :D Yea please do show some pics, I'm interested to see what kinda stuff is in it.

Kokonoe

Banned
That looks pretty boss... What job do you play as?

Yeah, it's a good piece. It's actually has gotten me to survive some one hit KOs combined with my other damage taken stuff from Walk of Echoes an hour ago.

I main Dancer and Dragoon, however I've been playing a lot of Dragoon lately. I also have Paladin with Empyrean Armor that's on the shelf until I either get this crystal shield or an ochain, I have Beast Master but I only use that for solos(I've soloed Khimaira and Cerberus), and I have a empyrean geared White Mage for getting into parties with.

My most played jobs however are Dancer, Dragoon, and White Mage.
I have Thief and Ninja leveled but I don't play them.

Mims

I know this will sound like a weird request but does anybody know a place that sells FFXI with all the expansions for the 360 for less than $50-60 I saw on amazon? I used to play on Sylph character name was Selba and ever since i've heard about the new expansion been dieing to get back in. I know I should just bite it and just go PC but honestly rather just get it on the 360.

I know this will sound like a weird request but does anybody know a place that sells FFXI with all the expansions for the 360 for less than $50-60 I saw on amazon? I used to play on Sylph character name was Selba and ever since i've heard about the new expansion been dieing to get back in. I know I should just bite it and just go PC but honestly rather just get it on the 360.

I cannot stress enough how much better off you'd be with the pc version and a gamepad. Especially if you ever decide to start playing more seriously later on.

Kokonoe

Banned
I played for about a year or so before I got on the PC version of FFXI. I no longer use my Vanadiel Collection 2008 (all the expansions). However, it doesn't contain the codes for the expansions so you won't be able to use them if you don't buy a code elsewhere. (unless you already have them on your account.)

The disc is scratched, but I've installed it recently and played on it and it still works perfectly. I'd sell it for 20$. You can also try ebay, or wait until next year for the expansion to come out.
However like pancake said, I'd really suggest getting the PC version as it's infinitely better.

bardia

Other than Abyssea where else can i level post 75? I just came back so I'm still accumulating stones, trying to find something to do until I have a decent buffer of stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom